New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Titan in the Playground

Default Getting Steamed: Carpet Cleaning for the Multiple Pet Owner

So, I have three cats. This alone will speak volumes to any pet owner.

A couple weeks ago, owing to urgent need, I rented a Rug Doctor from my grocery store and steamed the carpet in several (popular) rooms. Or rather, I tried to, but I was the one who ended up steamed.

Now, I've used Rug Doctors in the past, but either I managed to block out just how miserable the experience really is, or the rental machines aren't maintained and they're allowed to degrade into junk. Either way, it's 430% more hassle, frustration and aching lower back than I ever want to deal with again.

Since that latest Rug Doctor experience, several of those carpets have become popular again. There are issues to address on the cat side of things, but in the meantime the carpets still need cleaning. And this is where I could use some advice.

There seem to be any number of portable steam cleaners on the market. Once again, this is an entire industry to get a grip on...and once again, I don't know where to start. So, if anyone has any advice on purchasing steam cleaners, any at all, it would be more than welcome.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: Getting Steamed: Carpet Cleaning for the Multiple Pet Owner

My family owns a rug doctor. They usually work just fine. So the machine might be in bad shape. But keep In mind that if your carpets are too far gone, not even a functioning rug doctor will save ‘em.

you can rent one from another location and see what happens. if the machine works and your carpets are still in terrible shape, then you might have to replace them (i would try hardwood flooring).

another tidbit of advice is to use HOT, HOT water. like almost boiling hot. the hotter the water is, the better the machine works.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Barbarian in the Playground

I'm afraid that I have no advice pertaining directly to the steam cleaning. However, I can recommend a product called Nature's Miracle for removing the smell of cat pee, even to the point that the cats themselves can't detect it. Makes them less likely to mark it again.
    You may think of me as:
    Struggling amateur author #3284728

Book one is on the Kindle now. It's a mix of hard science fiction and fantasy. How's that work? Surprisingly well.

I share the ebook version of it freely. Link to download it is at the top of that page.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Titan in the Playground

Originally Posted by TheThan
    My family owns a rug doctor. They usually work just fine.
    Glad you've got one that works for you. I've tried Rug Doctor several times, and each experience was less pleasant and less effective than the last. Right now I'm looking for something that's consistently high-quality and relatively easy to use, that's feasible to use both as a spot cleaner and for small rooms.

Possibly a tall order, but there's gotta be one out there somewhere.

Originally Posted by Talanic
    However, I can recommend a product called Nature's Miracle for removing the smell of cat pee, even to the point that the cats themselves can't detect it.
    Thanks, that's good to know. The current troubles with the herd are more of the digestive kind, but until recently we did have a cranky elderly cat (18-20 or so) who did mark, and not always in obvious places. We're still making discoveries.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Barbarian in the Playground

Allegedly, such marks should show up under UV light. I haven't gotten it to work, but I'm not 100% certain that the lights I had weren't just normal lightbulbs tinted purple.
    You may think of me as:
    Struggling amateur author #3284728

Book one is on the Kindle now. It's a mix of hard science fiction and fantasy. How's that work? Surprisingly well.

I share the ebook version of it freely. Link to download it is at the top of that page.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ettin in the Playground

Yeah purchasing a brand new one is definitely better than renting a broken down one. As for other devices, I really can’t help. None of the other ones we’ve used seem to work as well, and they’re all expensive.

I’d try research it out and see what seems to work.

Also, we don’t have pets, so that’s one bit about carpet cleaning that we don’t have to consider.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Pixie in the Playground

Rug doctors are very effective in steaming and cleaning the carpet. But, if you are not satisfied with the rug doctors as pet stains are really very stubborn to remove easily. Then, follow some Best Tips to Clean Pet Stains which are really very powerful to remove all the dirt and pungent smell coming from the carpet.