New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Barbarian in the Playground

ElfWarriorGuy

Default Re: Top 10 Worst PrCs

Oh dear lawdy! Don't reminde me about the acolyte of the skin! "Hey, I should literally attach a super powerful demon to my skin that gives me the incredible power of half caster progression!" it's just so bad, yet the fluff is so freaking metal I want to flay the skin of who ever gave it half progression!
    I'M NOT CRAZY!!

I just find sanity a rather dull affair

2. - Top - End - #32
    Ettin in the Playground

How could I forget Solar Channeler. Now that's a terrible class. It turns you into a solar if by solar you mean "guy with a sword who can fly." It makes you give up all your class features (including casting, if any), in exchange for 3 attacks at middlingly high bonuses with normal damage. I cannot think of a class that can enter this and would not be better served just using their own spells or class features.
    Kolyarut Avatar by Potatocubed.
    Quote Originally Posted by willpell View Post
    Only playing Tier 1s is like only eating in five-star restaurants [...] sometimes I just want a cheeseburger and some frogurt. Why limit yourself?
    Awards

3. - Top - End - #33
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by CyberThread View Post
    IF a feat no longer exists, then according to the 3.5 rules, the requirement is removed also.
    It's not that the feat no longer exists, it's that it's no longer a regional feat for Rashemen. The PrC therefore requires you to be able to select regional feats for two separate regions, which isn't possible (to the best of my knowledge) in 3.5.

Regardless, Runescarred Berserker has been disqualified because it's problem is a dysfunction, not actual bad class design, so the issue is kinda moot.
    Last edited by Karnith; 2014-03-17 at 07:20 PM.
    Tier System for Classes | Why Each Class Is In Its Tier

On the use of the tier system:
    Quote Originally Posted by Darius Kane View Post
    "What's this? A TV Guide? How dare you tell me what movies I should watch! Fitness guide? Burn it, I can take care of my health by myself, thank you very much!"

4. - Top - End - #34
    Ogre in the Playground

ElfWarriorGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Karnith View Post
    When I said that it's impossible to qualify for, I meant it literally; I am not aware of a RAW way to meet the prereqs.
    Spoiler: "Explanation
    Show
    The class requires a regional feat not available to characters from Rashemen, and requires that the character be able to select regional feats from Rashemen. Per the 3.5 update to regional feats, this is no longer possible.

In 3.0, Survivor (a pre-req for Runescarred Berserker) was a regional feat for Rashemen, which is why it worked then for characters from Rashemen. Alternately, also using 3.0 rules for regional feats, any character could have put 2 ranks in the appropriate Knowledge (Local) skill to be able to select feats from a given region, and hence qualified for that part of Runescarred Berserker. But the 3.5 update made rules regarding regional feats go from silly to sillier, so neither of those work anymore, and you can't get into the class now as-written.
    Be from Rashemen...
    Spoiler: My Characters
    Show
    Lea - Gangs of Freeport(Pathfinder)

Spoiler: Previous Characters
    Show

5. - Top - End - #35
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Vertharrad View Post
    Be from Rashemen...
    You need to be able to select a regional feat from Rashemen, and also possess a regional feat not available to characters from Rashemen. Since a character can only have one region to select regional feats from in 3.5 (whereas in 3.0 you could use Knowledge (Local) to qualify for more than one), it is no longer possible to meet the requirements. It worked in 3.0 because Survivor was a Rashemen regional feat, but Survivor stopped being a Rashemen regional feat in 3.5.
    Last edited by Karnith; 2014-03-17 at 08:13 PM.
    Tier System for Classes | Why Each Class Is In Its Tier

On the use of the tier system:
    Quote Originally Posted by Darius Kane View Post
    "What's this? A TV Guide? How dare you tell me what movies I should watch! Fitness guide? Burn it, I can take care of my health by myself, thank you very much!"

6. - Top - End - #36

AssassinGuy

You need to be able to select a regional feat from Rashemen, and possess a regional feat not available to characters from Rashemen. Since a character can only have one region to select regional feats from in 3.5 (whereas in 3.0 you could use Knowledge (Local) to qualify for more than one), it is no longer possible to meet the requirements.
    Unless you lived in Rashemen and went to grammar school in another place. Thereby you could register to vote in both districts so long as the city registrar wasn't checking. Heck you now are a citizen of both regions now and can select a regional feat for each.

But all kidding aside, is it possible to take one of those two body races (I forgot what they were called) separate them by force to live with their primary residence in two different areas thus allowing the one entity to qualify for both feats? Its rather unwieldy, I know, but it could again be possible to play this interesting class.

7. - Top - End - #37
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Keledrath View Post
    Which alignment requirement got dropped?
    They could be a Maenad.
    Oh, wait. DWARVEN defender. I'm an idiot.

A maenad who was raised by dwarves!
    Spoiler: Extended Signature
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by Draconium View Post
    All things considered, the guy whose character attacked a gazebo may have actually had a point...
    Quote Originally Posted by Anlashok View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by sideswipe View Post
    ban the problem spells and the problem classes. not the whole book.
    So.. Keep the bard?
    Quote Originally Posted by Story View Post
    The only thing worse than a Beholder with an anti-magic cone is a Beholder without the anti-magic cone.
    Quote Originally Posted by DigoDragon View Post
    Baaa, I can think! Baaa, I can't see in the dark!

8. - Top - End - #38
    Ogre in the Playground

I shout my dwarven gods pride.....

9. - Top - End - #39
    Titan in the Playground

Many of the PrCs from Miniatures Handbook are legendarily bad. Tactical Soldier. That was a really, really hard Iron Chef, guys. Dragon Samurai is also astoundingly mediocre. I dunno if it's the WORST, but it's pretty darn bad.

As is typical, I do have to toss in a mention to some ToM goodies (or not-so-goodies). Bereft is a 5 level long PrC that you can't enter before level 11, but most of its abilities (including save DCs) are based on class level. Whoops. (The abilities would be mediocre if you could even get to them NORMALLY, but since you can't . . .) Brimstone Speaker is 6/10 divine progression that gives you a weak-ass breath weapon and a weak summon a couple times per day. And, y'know, requires investment in Truenaming. It doesn't even serve its own fluff.

I remember thinking about entering the Iron Chef for Initiate of Pistis Sophia, then reading the class and just thinking "nnnnnope."
    In the Beginning Was the Word, and the Word Was Suck: A Guide to Truenamers

Quote Originally Posted by Doc Roc View Post
    Gentlefolk, learn from Zaq's example, and his suffering. Remember, seven out of eleven players who use truenamer lose their ability to taste ice cream.
    My compiled Iron Chef stuff!

~ Gay all day, queer all year ~

10. - Top - End - #40
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Socksy View Post
    They could be a Maenad.
    Oh, wait. DWARVEN defender. I'm an idiot.

A maenad who was raised by dwarves!
    They call them Dwafnads
    amazing avatar of my favorite character, Gheera, by Pesimismrocks

11. - Top - End - #41
    Bugbear in the Playground

You need to be able to select a regional feat from Rashemen, and also possess a regional feat not available to characters from Rashemen. Since a character can only have one region to select regional feats from in 3.5 (whereas in 3.0 you could use Knowledge (Local) to qualify for more than one), it is no longer possible to meet the requirements. It worked in 3.0 because Survivor was a Rashemen regional feat, but Survivor stopped being a Rashemen regional feat in 3.5.
    There is a way around it if your DM approves Regional Backgrounds (Champions of Valor). If you choose the Circle Born background then that becomes your region for the sake of regional feats and Survivor is included in the list for your "region". Luckily, someone dropped the ball and forgot to give the Berserker Lodge feats the [Regional] tag, so you can take those too if you're Rashemi, because you still count as a native of your region for normal feats.

I will say that the fact you need to be raised by Druids on top of the specific region just to cast some nice gish spells is just obnoxious.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Avvie by araveugnitsuga
    3DS Friend Code - 4098-2424-2486

12. - Top - End - #42
    Ogre in the Playground

I'm glad someone mentioned Green Star Adept, it's the very first thing that came ot my mind when I saw this thread.

I second the note on whoever said that it sucks that Acolyte of the SKin is so bad, because the fluff for the PrC is so freaking metal.

I'd also like to point out that in a core-only game (which I've played in before), the dwarven defender isn't that horrible. Dragon Disciple still is, though.

Surprised no one's mentioned the PrCs in the BoVD. The Warrior of Darkness or whatever was pretty bad. And I forget between Diabolist and Demonologist, but I know one was god-awful.
    Red Mage avatar by Aedilred.

Where do you fit in? (link fixed)

RedMage Prestige Class!

Best advice I've ever heard one DM give another:
    "Remember that it is both a game and a story. If the two conflict, err on the side of cool, your players will thank you for it."

Second Eternal Foe of the Draconic Lord, battling him across the multiverse in whatever shapes and forms he may take.

13. - Top - End - #43
    Troll in the Playground

HalflingRogueGuy

Some of the mentioned PrCs are workable under specific circumstances (Heirophant is solid in Gestalt).

Shining Blade of Heironeous, evidently, is only good for one thing: being mentioned in threads like this. Truly, it is the best at being the worst.

JaronK

14. - Top - End - #44
    Troll in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Green Star Adept is bad for a casting class, true, but you only need one spellcasting level to get it, so I think of its poor casting progression as more of a boost for what is really a martial PrC... The BAB and spell progression are both equal to a 1:1 wizard/whatever gish... Are you referring to its expensive requirements for leveling up? Because I got the impression that people didn't really care about mere GP on this forum. It does require that you work out the prestige class with the DM. Is that why you don't like it? Because it requires actually working with your DM to make it fit into the campaign rather than just showing up one day with a pile of abilities?
    I do see that the d8 Hit die isn't good, but again, that's the average of the fighter and wizard's hit dice (actually above average if you want to be technical; spot-on for the average of wizard and barbarian or wizard and warblade). The natural armor bonus isn't great, but it's better than nothing, and IIRC, amulets of natural armor enhance natural armor bonuses, so they stack, right? You lose Dexterity, which isn't great, but only 3 points over 10 levels; barely enough to count for most things. Your caster level is actually better than a mage/fighter multiclass or even a lot of gish type builds, even though your spells/day aren't. Plus you get immortality, immunity to a whole mess of attack types, and the ability to heal yourself as an arcane caster without shenanigans as a capstone. The natural attack isn't worth anything, but no one said you had to use it, so it's really a free ability, and you get DR/adamantine with each level up; not a ton, but a reasonable amount and more than a barbarian does (although barbarians have /- type DR).
    So what's that bad about it? It's not the best, and it requires that the campaign support it, but I've seen worse.

15. - Top - End - #45

Am I alone in thinking that Duelist is kind of OK as a 3 level dip for a Swashbuckler going for the three musketeers vibe?
    Credit to Bradakhan for the amazing avatar.

16. - Top - End - #46
    Titan in the Playground

Yes, because Swashbuckler is designed to wear light armor and is better at being a duelist than the Duelist. So just keep going with Swashbuckler.
    I follow a general rule: better to ask and be told no than not to ask at all.

Shadeblight by KennyPyro

17. - Top - End - #47
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Scarey Nerd View Post
    Am I alone in thinking that Duelist is kind of OK as a 3 level dip for a Swashbuckler going for the three musketeers vibe?
    You meant 3 levels of rogue right? 3 levels of rogue is a great dip for a swashbuckler followed by darring outlaw.

18. - Top - End - #48
    Firbolg in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

Quote Originally Posted by JaronK View Post
    Some of the mentioned PrCs are workable under specific circumstances (Heirophant is solid in Gestalt).

Shining Blade of Heironeous, evidently, is only good for one thing: being mentioned in threads like this. Truly, it is the best at being the worst.

JaronK
    Wait - as a capstone, at level 9, you gain the ability to give your weapon a +4 modifier for a few rounds? That's it?
    This ... is my signature finishing move!

"It's never good when you make a fiend cringe" - MadGrady

According to some online quiz, I'm a 6th level TN Wizard. They didn't give me full XP for all the monsters I've defeated while daydreaming.
    http://easydamus.com/character.html

I am a Ranger Archetype: Gleaming Warden (thx to Ninja Prawn)

19. - Top - End - #49
    Titan in the Playground

Has anyone mentioned Blighter? I'm gonna mention Blighter. You know, the Ur Priest of Druids. Except, taking a steaming pile on everything good about Druids and making casting nearly impossible to do. Seriously, an acre of forest per level per day just to prep spells?! Where are you finding these vast expanses of forest that no one is stopping you from burning them down?
    Awesome Avvy by Sizlord!

20. - Top - End - #50

RedWizardGuy

Can we include prestige classes from Arcana Evolved? Because if we can, i would like to nominate the Dragon Kith PrC. It's a ten-level prestige class with the Dragon Magic ceremonial feat as a prerequisite, but only has four levels of caster progression.
    Last edited by Southern Cross; 2014-03-19 at 02:54 PM.
    President and founder of the "Jonathan Harker Was The True Hero of Dracula" Fan club.
    To join, you may either add J.H.W.T.T.H.O.D to your sig or modify the sig above.
    (Avatar darkwizard.png by Teutonic Knight.)

Spoiler: What Pokemon are you?
    Show

21. - Top - End - #51
    Troll in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by MesiDoomstalker View Post
    Has anyone mentioned Blighter? I'm gonna mention Blighter. You know, the Ur Priest of Druids. Except, taking a steaming pile on everything good about Druids and making casting nearly impossible to do. Seriously, an acre of forest per level per day just to prep spells?! Where are you finding these vast expanses of forest that no one is stopping you from burning them down?
    It takes you a standard action in the morning to do that forest-blighting, hardly a terrible inconvenience, and for much of history, there's been a lot of forest with not a lot of people in it per unit area to stop you. People can be lost for weeks in small areas of forest, when people with helicopters and electronics are looking for them; if you're wanting to do this kind of crap, you can get away with it for a time.
    In any case, I'm pretty sure the blighter was meant as a class for NPC villains.

22. - Top - End - #52
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Shining Wrath View Post
    Wait - as a capstone, at level 9, you gain the ability to give your weapon a +4 modifier for a few rounds? That's it?
    No, the capstone is getting that +1 caster level ;) But yeah, all the class does is to allow you to emulate some weapon properties a few times/day. It wouldn't be that interesting (at least with half caster progression) if those were permanent (as long as you hold your weapon, brilliant energy getting an option to turn it off), but as it is, the whole thing is just sad.
    Quote Originally Posted by Pickford View Post
    I don't understand your point. Why does it matter what I said?

23. - Top - End - #53
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Scarey Nerd View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Keledrath View Post
    Yes, because Swashbuckler is designed to wear light armor and is better at being a duelist than the Duelist. So just keep going with Swashbuckler.
    But Swashbuckler itself is only good as a 3 level dip
    π = 4
    Consider a 5' radius blast: this affects 4 squares which have a circumference of 40' — Actually it's worse than that.

Completely Dysfunctional Handbook
    Warped Druid Handbook

24. - Top - End - #54

SamuraiGuy

Quote Originally Posted by karpik777 View Post
    No, the capstone is getting that +1 caster level ;) But yeah, all the class does is to allow you to emulate some weapon properties a few times/day. It wouldn't be that interesting (at least with half caster progression) if those were permanent (as long as you hold your weapon, brilliant energy getting an option to turn it off), but as it is, the whole thing is just sad.
    Somewhere lurking in the back of my head is a Featonomics thread about what price you would pay to gain the equivalent of a feat (or, in this case, class feature) on your equipment.

For example, Warning is a +1 enhancement and is slightly better than Improved Initiative, but II is always on but Warning only works if you are holding the weapon. So approximately speaking, II is equal to a +1 weapon enhancement or 6000 GP.

Alertness, OTOH, can be bought for about 600 GP IIRC (AFB).

Anyway, if you offered me the Shining Blade's ability on my weapon, I'd be willing to pay the equivalent of a +1 for it. Which is to say, 9 levels of a half spell progression class is worth maybe one decent feat.

That's VERY sad.
    This ... is my signature finishing move!

"It's never good when you make a fiend cringe" - MadGrady

According to some online quiz, I'm a 6th level TN Wizard. They didn't give me full XP for all the monsters I've defeated while daydreaming.
    http://easydamus.com/character.html

I am a Ranger Archetype: Gleaming Warden (thx to Ninja Prawn)

25. - Top - End - #55
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by nedz View Post
    Yes but duelist was designed as a 0 level dip.

26. - Top - End - #56

Quote Originally Posted by nedz View Post
    Daring Outlaw makes it almost worth it due to being a full BAB sneak attack class.

Definitely better than Duelist.
    If my text is blue, I'm being sarcastic.But you already knew that, right?

27. - Top - End - #57
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by VoxRationis View Post
    Green Star Adept is bad for a casting class, true, but you only need one spellcasting level to get it, so I think of its poor casting progression as more of a boost for what is really a martial PrC... The BAB and spell progression are both equal to a 1:1 wizard/whatever gish... Are you referring to its expensive requirements for leveling up? Because I got the impression that people didn't really care about mere GP on this forum. It does require that you work out the prestige class with the DM. Is that why you don't like it? Because it requires actually working with your DM to make it fit into the campaign rather than just showing up one day with a pile of abilities?
    I do see that the d8 Hit die isn't good, but again, that's the average of the fighter and wizard's hit dice (actually above average if you want to be technical; spot-on for the average of wizard and barbarian or wizard and warblade). The natural armor bonus isn't great, but it's better than nothing, and IIRC, amulets of natural armor enhance natural armor bonuses, so they stack, right? You lose Dexterity, which isn't great, but only 3 points over 10 levels; barely enough to count for most things. Your caster level is actually better than a mage/fighter multiclass or even a lot of gish type builds, even though your spells/day aren't. Plus you get immortality, immunity to a whole mess of attack types, and the ability to heal yourself as an arcane caster without shenanigans as a capstone. The natural attack isn't worth anything, but no one said you had to use it, so it's really a free ability, and you get DR/adamantine with each level up; not a ton, but a reasonable amount and more than a barbarian does (although barbarians have /- type DR).
    So what's that bad about it? It's not the best, and it requires that the campaign support it, but I've seen worse.
    A 1:1 mix means you can't do either in a level-appropriate manner. Remember, this is a 3.5 class, Eldritch Knight was around from the very beginning.
    Lord Raziere herd I like Blasphemy, so Urpriest Exalted as a Malefactor

Meet My Monstrous Guide to Monsters. Everything you absolutely need to know about Monsters and never thought you needed to ask.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mithril Leaf View Post
    One of the unwritten rules of Giantitp is that Urpriest is always right.
    Trophy!
    Spoiler
    Show

original Urpriest (by Andraste)

28. - Top - End - #58
    Ettin in the Playground

Is Risen Martyr the ONLY class Iron Chef refused to do because it was so weak, or has there been another?

29. - Top - End - #59
    Troll in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Urpriest View Post
    A 1:1 mix means you can't do either in a level-appropriate manner. Remember, this is a 3.5 class, Eldritch Knight was around from the very beginning.
    How many other Eldritch Knight-progression PrCs are there? Most of the ones I think of are reduced progression...

30. - Top - End - #60
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by VoxRationis View Post
    How many other Eldritch Knight-progression PrCs are there? Most of the ones I think of are reduced progression...
    A few later in 3.5, like Abjurant Champion...classes designed to function in the same role as Eldritch Knight, like Knight Phantom....a fair number of 3/4 BAB and full casting ones, WotC tended to not think of them as inherently gishy...plenty of full BAB half-casting ones with d10 HD, like Spellsword, Dragonslayer, heck even Bladesinger...plus Swiftblade and Jade Pheonix Mage of course.

Of course, all this is irrelevant. Eldritch Knight has no dedicated fluff, and came out at the beginning of 3.5. That means that there was no reason not to take it if you were building a character with those goals. So that's the competition that Green Star Adept should have kept in mind, if it was actually supposed to be a Fighter/Wizard hybrid.
    Lord Raziere herd I like Blasphemy, so Urpriest Exalted as a Malefactor

Meet My Monstrous Guide to Monsters. Everything you absolutely need to know about Monsters and never thought you needed to ask.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mithril Leaf View Post
    One of the unwritten rules of Giantitp is that Urpriest is always right.
    Trophy!
    Spoiler
    Show

original Urpriest (by Andraste)