New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Ogre in the Playground

Default About Responding to Spam

Clearly I hoped to early that the spam would vanish [I haven't seen one the first day, but found one right now]

I know what I should do with spam, i.e. report it, ignore it and move along without replying. But what should I do when other posters respond to spam posts?

Right know I'm kinda stuck with "do nothing", since I don't think replaying more to the thread would be a good thing. I kinda thought maybe to send the poster in question a PM about it, but that would sound awfully lot like vigilante modding to me.

Or should I report such posts, too, since it is a violation of the forum rules? I haven't done so, because I don't think that would make your work really more easy (though that could clearly be a wrong assumption.)

So in short: What is the best way to deal with "Posts responding to Spam"?

Problems with [table]?
    All you want to know about [table]!
    The Order of the Stick
    Kickstarter Reward Collection

Last updated: 2016/08/09, containing:
    9 Crayon Drawings | 21 Stick its | 47 Signature Doodles

Custom Avatar made by the Giant.

Thanks!

2. - Top - End - #2
    Miniature Giant Space Hamster in the Playground Administrator

Default Re: About Responding to Spam

It's not going to vanish completely. Due to all the measures we have taken, though, we should begin to see less and less of them. Our holistic spam prevention system includes measures that make the spam links no longer valuable to search engine rankings.

Ignore it. Moderators will send them a PM using a very low grade warning that vanishes quickly to remind them that they shouldn't reply to spam threads. This is mostly done this way for tracking purposes so that we as moderators know that it has already been done.

"My Hobby: Replacing your soap with gravy" by rtg0922, Doll and Clint "Rawhide" Eastwood by Sneak