New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #91
    Firbolg in the Playground

Default Re: Reasonable Prices [IC]

Borris hands the man the coin, before going in to find the inn-keeper.
    Spoiler: Quotes!
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by Sun Hunter's Recruitment
    Quote Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
    Saying no to a Sun's Hunter is as close as it gets to an invitation to have your place destroyed by them)\
    Quote Originally Posted by Vedhin View Post
    In other words, be nice to the murderhobos so they don't murder you?
    Quote Originally Posted by JanusJones View Post
    The professional, well-funded, well-backed, card-carrying, licensed murderhobos, yes.
    Quote Originally Posted by Chilingsworth View Post
    Congrats, you made me laugh hard enough to draw my family's attention.

Life is Hectic.

2. - Top - End - #92
    Ettin in the Playground

The hostler takes the coin and bites it before stowing it in a pouch and leading Farah to a clean stable. Inside, the tavern-keeper has to be shout to be overheard over the conversation, songs, and general rowdiness- there seems to be a small, good-natured barfight in one corner of the room- but as soon as Borris and Azur enter he calls out, "What do you need, gentlemen? Room, food, drink, or all three?"

3. - Top - End - #93

"A cheap room, and a drink with kick barely stronger than water, if you can bring yourself to serve such." Borris smiles at the last part.
    Show

Saying no to a Sun's Hunter is as close as it gets to an invitation to have your place destroyed by them)\
    The professional, well-funded, well-backed, card-carrying, licensed murderhobos, yes.

Life is Hectic.

4. - Top - End - #94
    Ettin in the Playground

"We'll try," the barkeep laughs. "You want an actual room then, not just a space in front of the fire? That'll be two gold, and another silver for the drinks." He serves up two slopping mugs of watered ale.

5. - Top - End - #95

"Just a place by the fire will be fine."
    Borris reaches into his coin pouch, starting to grab silvers based on size.
    Show

Life is Hectic.

6. - Top - End - #96
    Ettin in the Playground

"Three silver per spot if you provide your own blanket and pillow, five silver per if you don't."

7. - Top - End - #97

Doing some quick maths Borris hands over 7 silver [once checking that's what he actually got out].
    "Thanks... Well then."
    Borris grabs the ales, with his head motioning Azur to a table which he begins walking towards, setting the ales down.
    "... So... Do we have a plan from here? Or were you just thinking go walk abouts and kill some demons?"
    Borris keeps his voice low as he speeks, looking into his ale... Half unsure if he'll actually drink it.
    Last edited by Erik Vale; 2014-06-14 at 08:06 AM.
    Show

Life is Hectic.

8. - Top - End - #98

Grabbing one of the ale mugs, the disguised devil takes a sip before grimacing in distaste and setting the drink down. He leans forward and quietly says, "As much as the idea of going on a demon-slaying rampage warms my heart, I've been doing some thinking over the past few days. Apparently, they have secured themselves a fortress up north, and it would be suicide to just go marching up to the gates. First, I need to find out where exactly this fort is and how I could get in. Anything else would require a small army.

Speaking of plans, we need to start thinking of ways to keep the Fae off our backs. I don't know what you promised That One, but he seems oddly focused for one of the fairyfolk. If I can get my hands on some cold iron, I could make you a weapon or two in case we need to defend ourselves."
    Azur pauses as he considers his words.

"And not just from the Fae... Demons, devils, Fae... I wasn't lying to the guard when I said something big is going on. The walls that separate the Realms are slowly fading away. What could cause such a thing?"

9. - Top - End - #99

Borris's eyes widen a bit.
    "You're asking a woodsman, I mean, I know a fair bit and I'll definitely think on it before turning over, but the planes aren't exactly my area of expertise... I mean... I've read a bit and I know that people aren
    t supposed to just get offered bargains, and without some means of breaching they couldn't... But Fey and Devil's aren't exactly on the same page, so it'd have to be pretty broad."

Borris thinks a moment before shaking his head.
    "Unfortunately I... Got offered a rather undefined favour for a favour. Don't ask me how he talked me into it, I don't know... However I meant different things about planning. Sure, we want to scout things out, make proper weapons, but right now I could pay for a floor for 20 nights and leave you for the cold, surviving buying trail rations. After that my coins gone, and we need coin. Sure, we could hire on as labourers but for how much? And I know it's not what you're looking to do.... Hell, this is the point where most bards would have us become adventurers... I mean, we could. There's the Pragnos-whatchumacallit, and there's a couple of others..."

Spoiler: K[Any
    Show
    ]
    With jack of all trades, Borris's knowledge rolls are trained. Borris will be taking 20 on them as to the question Azur posed sometime tonight. End results are 22's with lots of potential herring space given the 'failures' the I get saddled with for taking 20.

Also, I will be changing over my sheet to Warlock instead of Commoner today, unless I get hit by something, I really should have done this sooner.
    Last edited by Erik Vale; 2014-06-18 at 09:21 PM.
    Show

Life is Hectic.

10. - Top - End - #100

Not exactly comforted by the stablehand's words, Azur stands and walks over to the barkeep. Leaning on the counter, he asks, "Is there anything like a bounty board or something in this town? Something for sword-swingers to acquire coin?"

11. - Top - End - #101
    Ettin in the Playground

"I don't keep up to date on the specifics, being happy with my own occupation, but I know that there is one," the barkeep says, mixing a drink, "It's posted in their guild hall. They also have a steady stream of people looking for protection on various journeys, but I don't believe they put up that kind of job on the board. Not heroic enough, I suppose. Too mercenary."

12. - Top - End - #102

A wicked smile appears on Azur's face. "Paid protection over a long journey? Sound perfect to me. Where could I find this guild hall?" If they're heading north, that would be ideal...

13. - Top - End - #103
    Ettin in the Playground

The barkeep shrugs. "Towards the center of town. It's not difficult to find, what with their embellished sign and the lyrical bellowing of drunken adventurers and all. I think maybe today they're having a bicep size competition. Adventurers will be adventurers, I suppose. Most of the actual business is conducted in the upper floors, where it's a little more private."

14. - Top - End - #104

"Thank you." Nodding to the barkeep, Azur moves back over to Borris's table. His yellow eyes look bright and excited for the first time in a while.

"He says that the adventurer's guild is located in the center of town. You get some rest, Borris, while I go see if they are currently in need of arms." Putting words to action, Azur marches out the door and begins making his way to the center of town, looking for the drunken group of dungeon-knockers.

15. - Top - End - #105

Borris nods slowly, taking another slow drink of his beer...
    Eventually he settles into staring at it, sighing. It's been a long few days.
    Show

Life is Hectic.

16. - Top - End - #106
    Ettin in the Playground

The "drunken group of dungeon-knockers" is as easy to find as the barkeep promised, their emblem a large sign inscribed with a crossed sword and goblet. Inside, a rowdy group of adventurers male and female, clothed in a variety of arcane robes, leather armor, priestly garments, and heavy plate mail argue, drink, and fight (although in a frinedly fashion). Taking up one whole corner of the room is a large board covered in flyers and notes, ranging from job opportunities to IOUs to the incoherent scrawls of people who've seen a bit too much. Stairs wrap around either side of the chamber, leading to a balcony from which a few people watch the ruckus with amused expressions, and more rooms.

17. - Top - End - #107

Not wishing to get caught up in this unorganized sprawl, Azur makes straight for the board in the corner and examines it, hoping to see something worthwhile.

18. - Top - End - #108
    Ettin in the Playground

Azur quickly realizes that few of the papers actually describe job opportunities for adventurers, and the few that do all detail dungeons or ruins that need to be explored, or more rarely problems such as the occasional hobgoblin war camp that have been plaguing Sandora or the nearby regions. All of them seem fairly open-ended and without time constraints, and none of them seem to detail protection jobs.

19. - Top - End - #109

Hmmm... the one with the wizard's lab doesn't seem too bad. Still, perhaps I should ask around.

Turning from the board, Azur awkwardly taps the nearest person on the shoulder. It has been a while since he has had to politely ask someone for something. "Excuse me, but who do I speak to about jobs that aren't on the board?"

20. - Top - End - #110
    Ettin in the Playground

"Aye, well, most of the time people talk to Jord, the guildmaster, and he either recommends specific agents or he puts the job up for public consideration," the large man shouts back. "Either way, he'd know whatever's going on right now. He might be in his office on the upper floors right now if you hurry." The man turns from Azur and reenters the fray.

21. - Top - End - #111

Taking the man's words to heart, Azur heads up the stairs and looks for the guildmaster's office. Once he finds it, he steps inside and stands before Jord's desk, asking, "Are you Jord? I hear that you're the man to talk to about mercenary work. Are there any jobs that aren't posted on the board?"

22. - Top - End - #112
    Ettin in the Playground

Jord is a thin man with red hair wearing a fine gray suit, considering a few papers strewn about on his desk as Azur walks in. "I suppose there must inevitably be," he replies, looking up. "Space on the boards is limited. Why, are you looking for work? I don't recognize you..."

23. - Top - End - #113

Azur offers a simple bow before continuing. "My name is Azur. My friend, Borris, and I are looking for work so that we might not have to sleep on floors. I don't suppose there are any other jobs available? I wish to consider my options carefully before committing.

...Also, tell whoever it was that offered an art piece for a month's watch duty that I hope he is joking."

24. - Top - End - #114
    Ettin in the Playground

"I believe there were some limitations on that offer that may not have been mentioned," Jord smiles, "and they have a source that warned them about a specific possible attempt. However, I share your reservations. Art should be priceless, else how is it art? Still, I am sure I can find a job for you and your mysterious companion who won't show his face here in my office. Provided you prove your worth beforehand, of course."

25. - Top - End - #115

The implied insult is enough for Azur to drop his politeness. He leans forward on the man's desk, yellow eyes glowering into his face. "Borris is at an inn, seeing to it that his precious horse, Farah, is well cared for. He is no coward, and neither am I. I will be more than happy to show you," he answers darkly.

26. - Top - End - #116
    Ettin in the Playground

"Oh my. I am terrified. See how very terrified I am," the man answers with a deadpan. "Word of advice: if you want a job, threatening your potential employer is not the best way to get the one you want. Yes, bring your friend back here. We'll talk then."

27. - Top - End - #117

The man's snark rankles Azur, who exits the guild hall and makes his way back to the inn. He looks for Borris to see if the man is still in the inn.
    Spoiler: If he is
    Show
    Azur walks up and says, "I might have found us a way to make some coin. Finish that ale and come with me."

Spoiler: If he isn't
    Show
    Surprised at Borris's absence, Azur strolls over to the barkeep. "Have you seen my friend? He was here not too long ago."

28. - Top - End - #118

Borris looks up from the last of his Ale, and upon recognising Azur stands up, moving towards him.
    "Let's settle with the later."
    Show

Life is Hectic.

29. - Top - End - #119
    Ettin in the Playground

"Back again, I see," Jord says calmly when Azur and Borris enter his office. "This time with your elusive friend. Well, good. I understand you want a job, yes? I'm inclined to let you have one. But first you would have to prove to me somehow that you're not intending to backstab myself or my company at the first opportunity, or accidentally or intentionally smear our impeccable reputation. Do you have suggestions?"

30. - Top - End - #120

In Azur's mind, it is clear that they are at a crossroads. An inability to satisfy this man would result in them walking out with nothing. Borris's words from earlier ring in his mind. I may not need to eat or sleep, but he does. And if I'm going to take those demons down, I will need help.

Reluctantly, as though he was about to tear his own finger off, Azur reaches for his left hand. His right hand trembles a little as he slips the gold ring off of his finger and holds it in the palm of his hand before Jord.

"This is the ring that I forged when I proposed to my wife. It's all I have left to remember her by, and I would rather freeze in Hell before parting with it. You want trust? Here is your trust. But when the job is done, I want it back." The blacksmith's unblinking eyes gaze into Jord's face, waiting for his response.