New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 12 of 50 FirstFirst ... 234567891011121314151617181920212237 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #331
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Magic the Gathering XIX: Heroic- Bump this thread.

In a MtG draft does my deck have to stay the same between rounds or can it change? I could see why they want it the same so you cannot get out of game knowledge to sideboard but I would find it annoying because I am fidgety with what cards I want to be running in limited when I go to prereleases.
    DEGENERATION 86: Copy this into your sig and subtract 1 from the degeneration when you first see it. This is an antisocial experiment.

2. - Top - End - #332
    Ogre in the Playground

It varies between tournaments. Ask a judge when you get there.
    The gnomes once had many mines, but now they have gnome ore.

3. - Top - End - #333
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Grytorm View Post
    In a MtG draft does my deck have to stay the same between rounds or can it change? I could see why they want it the same so you cannot get out of game knowledge to sideboard but I would find it annoying because I am fidgety with what cards I want to be running in limited when I go to prereleases.
    You cannot change decks in between matches. However, you can build 2 decks, and sideboard between games. Your second deck is just your sideboard, and you can't sideboard between matches, only between games.
    Avatar made by Bradakhan| Other avatars.
    Spoiler: Quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by TFT on quicktopic
    Oh no, Duck999 is a mason.

How can I possibly suspect you of being a wolf now? :(

:P
    Quote Originally Posted by Legato Endless View Post
    Duck: Mason. A really shifty mason, but a confirmed role nonetheless.

Slii: Slii is town. He looks better than Duck even with that mason claim.

4. - Top - End - #334
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Bucky View Post

Not accepted; as the ninjas noticed, this doesn't work.
    Change it so that your opponent has the three Banishing Lights in hand and you have a Worst Fears.

5. - Top - End - #335
    Ogre in the Playground

got bored and played around with Constilation
    Spoiler
    Show

4 Godless Shrine
    4 Mana Confluence
    2 Mutavault
    8 Plains
    2 Swamp
    4 Temple of Silence

4 Underworld Coinsmith
    4 Athreos, God of Passage
    4 Grim Guardian
    4 Spiteful Returned
    4 Nyx-Fleece Ram
    4 Herald of Torment
    4 Odunos River Trawler
    4 Banisher Priest

4 Banishing Light

there is definitely a deck here, now to start cutting creatures for spells and really get this puppy moving.
    Rule of Cool former designer

Games I'm playing: League of Legends, Mechwarrior Online

6. - Top - End - #336
    Orc in the Playground

Infinite combo in Journey-

Spoiler
    Show
    Infinite Turns= Ajani + Sage of Hours + double armory of Iroas. Not great since you need to be able to swing through without sage dying

1. +1 ajani for 3 counters on sage
    2. attack with sage for 2 more counters from armory
    3. activate sage for an extra turn
    4. loooooooooooop until you either draw out and die or kill your opponent with sage.

Infinite combo in Born-

Spoiler
    Show
    Fellhide spirit binder + 2 or 3 Karametra's favor + kiroas follower.

1. enchant spiritbinder with 2 Karametra's favor, tap for RR
    2. untap with follower, inspired trigger copies follower (with haste)
    3. tap spiritbinder again for RR, use copied follower to untap
    4. Loop forever.
    5. now that you have infinite devotion to green, attack with any evasive creature and cast aspect of hydra for infinite power. If you can't push through, aspect of the hydra on your Phenax (maned up with your infinite blue devotion) and tap him to mill your opponent.

If you have 3 karametra's favor on the spiritbinder, you get 1 free mana every loop and can use the infinite mana to make hero of lavinia tower infinitely strong with any heroic trigger.
    Last edited by Tesla_pasta; 2014-04-25 at 07:55 PM.
    Custom avatar by me - based on my Half-Orc Eldritch Knight, Keth d'Lordran
    Spoiler
    Show

Tabletop RPGs
    Started with D&D 3.5, these days I mostly play 5E and occationally Call of C'thulu. Currently running two D&D 5E games over roll20

Magic: the Gathering
    Started with Return to Ravnica/Innistrad. I'll draft every once in a while but EDH is my favorite format by far.
    Decks: Lord Windgrace, Neyith of the Dire Hunt, Rielle the Everwise

Other Geeky Hobbies
    Ridley/Lucina main SSBU

7. - Top - End - #337
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Tesla_pasta View Post
    Infinite combo in Journey-

Spoiler
    Show
    Infinite Turns= Ajani + Sage of Hours + double armory of Iroas. Not great since you need to be able to swing through without sage dying

1. +1 ajani for 3 counters on sage
    2. attack with sage for 2 more counters from armory
    3. activate sage for an extra turn
    4. loooooooooooop until you either draw out and die or kill your opponent with sage.
    Nice try. But 6 damage per card in your library is considerably less than infinite.

Infinite combo in Born-

Spoiler
    Show
    Fellhide spirit binder + 2 or 3 Karametra's favor + kiroas follower.

1. enchant spiritbinder with 2 Karametra's favor, tap for RR
    2. untap with follower, inspired trigger copies follower (with haste)
    3. tap spiritbinder again for RR, use copied follower to untap
    4. Loop forever.
    5. now that you have infinite devotion to green, attack with any evasive creature and cast aspect of hydra for infinite power. If you can't push through, aspect of the hydra on your Phenax (maned up with your infinite blue devotion) and tap him to mill your opponent.

If you have 3 karametra's favor on the spiritbinder, you get 1 free mana every loop and can use the infinite mana to make hero of lavinia tower infinitely strong with any heroic trigger.
    Fails at step one. Your creature has two different {T} abilities for mana but can only use one at a time.
    Last edited by Bucky; 2014-04-25 at 08:29 PM.

8. - Top - End - #338
    Orc in the Playground

HalflingRangerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Sith_Happens View Post
    Two things:

1. When a spell that's not a copy is exiled, is the card itself moved to the exile zone?

2. I just had the most glorious idea ever: Planechase Supervillain Rumble* Commander.

* Free-for-all Archenemy variant where everyone is an Archenemy.

If you cast a spell and somebody hardcasts a Mindbreak Trap then yes, the spell in question is physically moved to the exile zone. Also, it's explicitly not "countered", if there are any cards that look for such a thing. It just never resolves because it no longer is on the stack.

Oops, didn't see the responses, since they were on a new page..

Either way, spells on the stack getting exiled instead of going to the graveyard when a spell ends the turn is probably something of a flavour decision. "The stack" as a zone feels more exile-y than graveyard-ey to me
    Last edited by raymundo; 2014-04-25 at 09:27 PM.
    Playing Magic? Interested in trading? Try Pucatrade!

Trading cards for pucapoints, which you can use to have people send you cards. Just shoot me a message if you got questions.

9. - Top - End - #339
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Duck999 View Post
    You cannot change decks in between matches. However, you can build 2 decks, and sideboard between games. Your second deck is just your sideboard, and you can't sideboard between matches, only between games.
    Not sure where you're playing, but every draft I've ever done including sanctioned events has allowed sideboarding at any time, so long as you're not actually in the middle of a game. Draft decks are far less tuned than constructed ones, so expecting people to build a deck from scratch in a limited period of time and then be unable to change it when they discover serious flaws would be pretty unfair. I can't even count the number of times I've ended up siding a basic land in or out between games because I decided that my mana-curve needed it, and it's the only reason I would ever consider drafting cards like Dark Betrayal and Glare of Heresy that have a significant chance of ending up dead in hand against certain decks. Hell, at the Innistrad prerelease I was playing W/R until I finally decided that the red wasn't holding up its end and did a whole-color sideboard into black.
    Awesome avatar by potatocubed.

10. - Top - End - #340

That's right; in draft, you can change your deck any time you want, by any amount, for as long as you want, and you don't have to change it back.
    3DS Friend Code: 3067-5674-0852. Currently running: Emerald.

Latias, Groudon, Rayquaza, Kyogre promised to JustPlayItLoud for a shiny Gastly, Gulpin, Frogadier, and Dedenne. Regirock, Regice, Registeel up for grabs.

Spoiler: Living Shinydex Progress 31/718 Newest Shiny: Buneary
    Show
    Gen I: 9/151
    Gen II: 6/100
    Gen III: 7/135
    Gen IV: 3/107
    Gen V: 3/156
    Gen VI: 2/69

Come visit World's Finest Gaming on Tumblr or Facebook or even our Youtube channel and watch me stream!

11. - Top - End - #341

It really does depend on the tournament. Most local for-fun tournaments allow continuous building, which means that you can start each round with a different arrangement of 40 cards. But not all. Mine allows that. Check with your TO just to be safe. But a big clue is if they ask for you to register your pool.

12. - Top - End - #342

Quote Originally Posted by Seatbelt View Post
    It really does depend on the tournament. Most local for-fun tournaments allow continuous building, which means that you can start each round with a different arrangement of 40 cards. But not all. Mine allows that. Check with your TO just to be safe. But a big clue is if they ask for you to register your pool.
    Even that depends; registering your pool is usually just so you don't cheat by sneaking in a card you didn't actually draft, for example bringing your own copy of Elspeth and sneaking it into your cards when no one is looking. Most places I know of don't actually require you to register your draft deck, just the total cards in your pool.

13. - Top - End - #343

Quote Originally Posted by Mr._Blinky View Post
    Even that depends; registering your pool is usually just so you don't cheat by sneaking in a card you didn't actually draft, for example bringing your own copy of Elspeth and sneaking it into your cards when no one is looking. Most places I know of don't actually require you to register your draft deck, just the total cards in your pool.
    More than that, pool registration only occurs at high-level tournaments.

Latias, Groudon, Rayquaza, Kyogre promised to JustPlayItLoud for a shiny Gastly, Gulpin, Frogadier, and Dedenne. Regirock, Regice, Registeel up for grabs.

Show

Come visit World's Finest Gaming on Tumblr or Facebook or even our Youtube channel and watch me stream!

14. - Top - End - #344

Born combo:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Astral Cornucopia with four counters on it, Akroan Conscriptor, Kiora's Follower, two Ephara's Enlightenment, one on the board, one in hand, and Karametra's Favor on Felhide Spiritbinder.

Tap Astral Cornucopia for white, untap with Kiora's Follower, tap Astral Cornucopia for blue, tap Felhide Spiritbinder for red. Cast Ephara's Enlightenments on Akroan Conscriptor; the trigger targets the Felhide Spiritbinder. Felhide Spiritbinder will then untap and make a token of Kiora's Follower, bouncing the Ephara's Enlightenment already on the board back to hand.
    Last edited by Sohala; 2014-04-26 at 05:23 AM.
    "You think I'm talking about breaking the rules?"
    "No I'm just trying to figure out how far you want them bent."

[3.5] Mana Mage

15. - Top - End - #345
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Sohala View Post
    Born combo:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Astral Cornucopia with four counters on it, Akroan Conscriptor, Kiora's Follower, two Ephara's Enlightenment, one on the board, one in hand, and Karametra's Favor on Felhide Spiritbinder.

Tap Astral Cornucopia for white, untap with Kiora's Follower, tap Astral Cornucopia for blue, tap Felhide Spiritbinder for red. Cast Ephara's Enlightenments on Akroan Conscriptor; the trigger targets the Felhide Spiritbinder. Felhide Spiritbinder will then untap and make a token of Kiora's Follower, bouncing the Ephara's Enlightenment already on the board back to hand.
    And convert to damage by attacking with a Felhide Spiritbinder with arbitrarily many +1/+1 counters? That works.

16. - Top - End - #346
    Barbarian in the Playground

I went to the pre-release today. I wanted a white pack, but they were all out, so I picked a black pack instead, and then I had an Iroas in one of my regular boosters. So that was fun.

(It was okay, though. I ended up playing black/green because my white and red cards were total crap, and came in 9th.)

17. - Top - End - #347
    Troll in the Playground

DruidGirl

I went to my first prerelease yesterday. I finished last, with zero wins, yet I still had a great day. Didn't get many really good cards, but Magic is fun anyhow.

18. - Top - End - #348
    Barbarian in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Ichneumon View Post
    I went to my first prerelease yesterday. I finished last, with zero wins, yet I still had a great day. Didn't get many really good cards, but Magic is fun anyhow.
    Ah, that's a shame. Still, good to hear you had fun - you'll do better next time around! If you still have your deck, maybe you could put up a list and we could take a stab at examining it, to see if there's any obvious problems with it? That sort of thing.

I've put mine below, for the record. I was kinda happy with how it worked out - pretty slow if I don't get lucky enough to draw what little mana acceleration I have, but Gorgons shouldn't be underestimated.

Spoiler
    Show
    1x Returned Reveler
    1x Hythonia the Cruel
    1x Servant of Tymaret
    1x Squelching Leeches
    1x Cast into Darkness
    2x Font of Fertility
    1x Keepsake Gorgon
    1x Feast of Dreams
    1x Reaper of the Wilds
    1x Grim Guardian
    2x Aspect of Gorgon
    1x Humbler of Mortals
    1x King Macar, the Gold-Cursed
    1x Desecration Plague
    1x Golden Hind
    1x Spiteful Blow
    1x Time to Feed
    1x Font of Return
    1x Doomwake Giant (promo)
    1x Ravenous Leucrocota
    1x Black Oak of Odunos
    1x Commune with the Gods

9x Swamp
    8x Forest

19. - Top - End - #349

So. I ended up having Sat/Sun role playing cancelled on me so I decided to go 36 hours without sleep to do Midnight Friday and Daytime Saturday prerelease.

On friday, I ended up going 3-2 with a W/B Constellation deck. It didn't really do anything very well and I made some really stupid mistakes in my tiredness such as attacking in with a Godsend equipped Ram against his Bane of Heroes, then dying on the back swing cause I hoped he would block when the smarter move was to hold it back and try to draw into removal. Ideally, I should have possibly gone for R/W instead (my black cards being a bit of removal and some constellation cards) to try and lay down faster beats and enable heroic a lot more.

Rarewise, I chose the white promo box and I got a U/W Temple, Godsend, some other janky bits and double of the white promo.

On saturday, I managed to pop home, shower, breakfast, back in for 11. This time I went green. Ended up going 3-3 with a rUG monsters deck. The red splash was for a single Polis Crusher, which is amazing in the Triple Journey sealed format because of all the enchantment creatures. I played a number of fixing spells like Nylea's and some ramp/fixing like Market and Font of Fertility. My plan was to ramp into a start casting lots of bombs like Heroes Bane, the 5/5 elemental who grants trample and Hypnotic Siren.

My biggest mistake was incorrect sequencing. During my last game (which I needed to win to get an extra 2 boosters) I had 10 power of flying dudes on board. He was on 8 and had a single blocker which would have taken him down to 2 had he blocked my 4/4 flyer. But, in hand, and mana open, I had the elemental who would grant everyone trample, which would have let my 4/4 trample over for 3 and lethal.
    Steampunk Urchin Lea by Akrim.elf
    Quote Originally Posted by The Succubus View Post
    Spider girl, spider girl,
    Leaves your head in a whirl
    She can swing from a web
    And then she will bite your leg
    Watch out, it's Lea The Spider Girl

20. - Top - End - #350
    Ogre in the Playground

I have finshed putting together the a slightly budget standard Green Black grave shenanigans deck. Played it once at a FNM and went 3/2, maybe would have gone better if I hadn't botched the third round. I was wondering what type of advantage is gained by discarding 4 cards to pump Loteth Troll in order to eat a Polukranos? Could that be a tempo swing?

Also I have my doubts about Eish Mystic because it does little for turn 2 plays. It does allow me to do things with Golgari Guildgate but it doesn't ramp into my 3 drops that are often bad this early. I am probably just underestimating it. If I took them out for anything it might be Brain Maggot.

Edit: Though Elvish Mystic probaby is good, just a bit subtle and it doesn't do a bunch on turn 2 except allow you to avoid taplands from doing to much to mess with your curve.

Aso I made a mistake that game with the discard. I only had to discard 2 cards for the kill because Polukranos already had 2 damage marked on him because I blocked it earlier.
    Last edited by Grytorm; 2014-04-27 at 01:59 PM.
    DEGENERATION 86: Copy this into your sig and subtract 1 from the degeneration when you first see it. This is an antisocial experiment.

21. - Top - End - #351

I have finshed putting together the a slightly budget standard Green Black grave shenanigans deck. Played it once at a FNM and went 3/2, maybe would have gone better if I hadn't botched the third round. I was wondering what type of advantage is gained by discarding 4 cards to pump Loteth Troll in order to eat a Polukranos? Could that be a tempo swing?

Also I have my doubts about Eish Mystic because it does little for turn 2 plays. It does allow me to do things with Golgari Guildgate but it doesn't ramp into my 3 drops that are often bad this early. I am probably just underestimating it. If I took them out for anything it might be Brain Maggot.

Edit: Though Elvish Mystic probaby is good, just a bit subtle and it doesn't do a bunch on turn 2 except allow you to avoid taplands from doing to much to mess with your curve.

Aso I made a mistake that game with the discard. I only had to discard 2 cards for the kill because Polukranos already had 2 damage marked on him because I blocked it earlier.
    Wait, how did it have 2 damage on it from a block, and yet you killed it in combat with a Lotleth Troll? Did you Flesh/Blood it?

22. - Top - End - #352
    Titan in the Playground

Well, the Banned and restricted list update is exactly what I expected. How disappointing. (No updates of any sort)

Let me use my deathrites again! They're signed!

23. - Top - End - #353
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Mystic Muse View Post
    Well, the Banned and restricted list update is exactly what I expected. How disappointing. (No updates of any sort)

Let me use my deathrites again! They're signed!
    Well that's too bad. I guess we won't be seeing all those older decks that now have cards on the banned list.
    Show

24. - Top - End - #354

Show

25. - Top - End - #355
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Loreweaver15 View Post
    This has been all over the internet since Friday. They are extremely rare; only 8-10 have been found despite the thousands upon thousands of JOU opened this weekend.
    Red Hand of Doom in Eberron IC | OOC | Rolls

LGBTitP

Thank you to Akrim.elf for my beautiful avatar.

26. - Top - End - #356
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by RaggedAngel View Post
    This has been all over the internet since Friday. They are extremely rare; only 8-10 have been found despite the thousands upon thousands of JOU opened this weekend.
    One of my friends friends got one in the pre release. He played Bant. Good choice?
    Show

27. - Top - End - #357
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Mr._Blinky View Post
    Wait, how did it have 2 damage on it from a block, and yet you killed it in combat with a Lotleth Troll? Did you Flesh/Blood it?
    What happened is earlier that turn he attacked with the Polukranos and I blocked with the troll and regenerated. Then he went Monstrous for 1 on my troll and in response I discarded the four cards when I only needed to dump 2.

28. - Top - End - #358
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Duck999 View Post
    One of my friends friends got one in the pre release. He played Bant. Good choice?
    Seriously? Where? Reddit's trying to compile all the packs to see if there's a pattern.
    Red Hand of Doom in Eberron IC | OOC | Rolls

LGBTitP

Thank you to Akrim.elf for my beautiful avatar.

29. - Top - End - #359
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by RaggedAngel View Post
    Seriously? Where? Reddit's trying to compile all the packs to see if there's a pattern.
    I don't know all the details, and my friend can be known to stretch the truth, so I won't/can't give much information about it.
    Show

30. - Top - End - #360

What happened is earlier that turn he attacked with the Polukranos and I blocked with the troll and regenerated. Then he went Monstrous for 1 on my troll and in response I discarded the four cards when I only needed to dump 2.
    Ah, okay, fair enough.