New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 13 of 50 FirstFirst ... 3456789101112131415161718192021222338 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #361
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default Re: Magic the Gathering XIX: Heroic- Bump this thread.

Quote Originally Posted by Loreweaver15 View Post
    Now that is what I call a promotion. "Alright, I got a god card in my pack! And... another one? And another, and... oh my."

I wonder how they're going to top this in the future. "The next Return to Kamigawa booster pack you open may be filled with every mythic rare card in the block, including those from the two as-yet-unreleased editions, as well as a Mox Opal"?

2. - Top - End - #362
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Khay View Post
    I wonder how they're going to top this in the future.
    They already did (kind of).
    Avatar made by Bradakhan| Other avatars.
    Spoiler: Quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by TFT on quicktopic
    Oh no, Duck999 is a mason.

How can I possibly suspect you of being a wolf now? :(

:P
    Quote Originally Posted by Legato Endless View Post
    Duck: Mason. A really shifty mason, but a confirmed role nonetheless.

Slii: Slii is town. He looks better than Duck even with that mason claim.

3. - Top - End - #363

I quit somewhere halfway through the Kamigawa block out of overwhelming dislike of, well, the Kamigawa block. That apparently was a bad idea, because goddammit, I missed so much cool stuff.

4. - Top - End - #364
    Orc in the Playground

My prerelease was pretty fun. I picked Green at the midnight, then came back and did two-headed giant the next day, picking Blue and partnering with someone who picked White.

I managed to open a copy of Kruphix, God of Horizons both days, so I build Green/Blue both times. More control-heavy for the midnight release - Daring Thief was by far the MVP of my deck, he is *awesome* combined with bounce spells to take your cards back after trading them away. Then for Two-Headed Giant I went more bomb-heavy with huge green dudes. I had a Kiora's Follower and Market Festival, plus a Courser of Kruphix and some Golden Hinds, and of course Kruphix himself, so I was able to occasionally get massive massive mana ramp to do absurd things like flash in Fleetfeather Cockatrice and make him monstrous on the same turn, or pump Heroes' Bane twice on the turn I played him, or make Hydra Broodmother monstrous with 6 for X. It was fun. My teammate, meanwhile, played white/black control, and basically focused on keeping us alive until I could get out the fatties.

It turns out that having an Underworld Coinsmith, Nyx-Fleece Ram, and Courser of Kruphix on the field all at once makes for some very nice life gain. In both decks I made wonderful use of Interpret the Signs. I had it flop once on me, where my top three cards were lands and a one drop, and the one under them was another land, but every other time I cast it, given how bomb-heavy my decks were, I was able to draw between five and seven cards and pretty much assure myself a massive massive advantage.

All in all, I went 3-1 at night, then 2-1-1 at the two-headed giant. Between the two gods, a foil Silence the Believers, a Godsend in a prize pack, and a really fun time besides, I went home happy.

And now, after having gotten wrecked by double Doomwake Giant in one of my matches, I'm working on a Constellation deck. I'm still fine-tuning it and trying to better establish it's focus, it feels like it has too many two-ofs right now, there were just too many cards I wanted to include. Any thoughts?

Spoiler
    Show
    Boon Satyr x2
    Courser of Kruphix x2
    Doomwake Giant x4
    Eidolon of Blossoms x3
    Grim Guardian x2
    Nylea, God of the Hunt x2
    Pharika, God of Afflictions x2
    Renowned Weaver x2
    Sylvan Caryatid x4

Banishing Light x2
    Dictate of Erebos x2
    Extinguish All Hope x2
    Gift of Immortality x2
    Kruphix's Insight x2
    Soul Tithe x3

Godless Shrine x2
    Overgrown Tomb x3
    Temple Garden x2
    Temple of Malady x2
    Temple of Plenty x1
    Temple of Silence x1
    Forest x5
    Plains x4
    Swamp x4

Maybeboard includes...

Brain Maggot?
    Ajani's Chosen?
    Blightcaster?
    Auramancer?
    Sphere of Safety?
    Forlorn Pseudamma?
    Ethereal Armor?
    Helios, God of the Sun?
    Dreadbringer Lampads?
    Reviving Melody?
    Nyx Weaver?
    Odunos River Trawler?
    Oath of the Ancient Wood?
    Nyx-Fleece Ram?
    Armament of Nyx?
    Underworld Coinsmith?
    Last edited by Neoseanster; 2014-04-29 at 12:48 PM.

5. - Top - End - #365
    Titan in the Playground

I quit somewhere halfway through the Kamigawa block out of overwhelming dislike of, well, the Kamigawa block. That apparently was a bad idea, because goddammit, I missed so much cool stuff.
    Quitting Magic because you don't like the current block is like canceling your Netflix subscription because you watched a bad movie.
    Revan avatar by kaptainkrutch.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cirrylius View Post
    That's how wizards beta test their new animals. If it survives Australia, it's a go. Which in hindsight explains a LOT about Australia.

6. - Top - End - #366
    Ogre in the Playground

Which is why you don't quit magic. Just keep playing...fooorreeevvveeer
    Show

7. - Top - End - #367
    Titan in the Playground

Does anybody know what type of blacklight I'd need at a minimum in order to determine whether a card is fake or not?

8. - Top - End - #368
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Mystic Muse View Post
    Does anybody know what type of blacklight I'd need at a minimum in order to determine whether a card is fake or not?
    I've never really used a blacklight for it. I'd recommend a jeweler's loupe to check the print pattern and edges and such. Another way to check (alongside a loupe) is to do the light test. Both are a bit easier to do on the fly than a blacklight test in my opinion. http://www.apathyhouse.com/fake/page331.php Here's a good article on ways to test. Bend testing is bad though, don't.

I just noticed it doesn't really mention the print pattern anywhere. But most magic cards have a specific print pattern you can see under a magnifying glass. It's a way to weed out lower quality fakes, but apparently some of the better ones can emulate it these days. That's where the light test comes in (that and comparing it to a card you know is real to see if there's a difference in card stock/surface finish/such).
    Last edited by Penguinizer; 2014-04-30 at 03:15 AM.

9. - Top - End - #369
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Penguinizer View Post
    I've never really used a blacklight for it. I'd recommend a jeweler's loupe to check the print pattern and edges and such. Another way to check (alongside a loupe) is to do the light test. Both are a bit easier to do on the fly than a blacklight test in my opinion. http://www.apathyhouse.com/fake/page331.php Here's a good article on ways to test. Bend testing is bad though, don't.
    She's testing Wastelands. I think she'd beat anyone who bend-tested them to death.
    i am going to make it through this year
    if it kills me
    i am going to make it though this year
    if it kills me

10. - Top - End - #370
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Shadow of the Sun View Post
    She's testing Wastelands. I think she'd beat anyone who bend-tested them to death.
    They should be able to take it, but I still wouldn't recommend it. If it's wastelands the biggest issue will probably be either re-backs from the world's championship decks and print out fakes. The blacklight test would work, but I think the light testing should be enough.

11. - Top - End - #371
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Shadow of the Sun View Post
    Actually, I did let the clerk at this one store bend test them, but only because I REALLY trust him.

If a normal person did it, yeah, I'd probably at least want to kick them in the shins.

12. - Top - End - #372

Bit late, but went 3-1 at the prerelease with White box. I pulled Xenagos in a booster, so decided to go Red Green and White. Enchantments, and combat tricks are very fun. I lost to a Black Green Deathtouch Lifelink deck, amking him 4-0.

The same guy played the other two prereleases that night, and went 4-0 as well.

Was REALLY peeved that the box next to mine, by less then 5 seconds, after me had a God Pack in it. He grabbed white, and boom, all 15 gods. Everyone was freaking out about it, but the guy that grabbed the pack didn't play magic that much, so he traded the 5 new gods to the owner of the store, and the owner let him do the other two prereleases that were going on that night for free.

I think I am going to go more Prereleases from now on...

13. - Top - End - #373

Quote Originally Posted by Sith_Happens View Post
    Quitting Magic because you don't like the current block is like canceling your Netflix subscription because you watched a bad movie.
    I tend to not make good decisions.

Quote Originally Posted by Codyage View Post
    I think I am going to go more Prereleases from now on...
    Me too! I had totally forgotten how much fun those are.

(Though, in the light of the above statement - if I'm excited for the next prerelease, you should probably skip it, because boxes will randomly contain rusty nails instead of cards. Or something.)

14. - Top - End - #374
    Ogre in the Playground

GreenSorcererElf

i'm thinking of making a scarecrow deck, how do they usually work?

i assume they're not used much, since almost all of them are dirt cheap, but that kinda makes me want to play them more
    elemental avatar by kaariane

extended signature

15. - Top - End - #375
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by chaotic stupid View Post

i assume they're not used much, since almost all of them are dirt cheap, but that kinda makes me want to play them more
    Depends on the format.

I know that some use Scarecrone and reaper king to very good effect, depending on if you can manage to get Reaper King OUT.

16. - Top - End - #376
    Ogre in the Playground

Depends on what you mean with "usually". If you want to know how scarecrows are used in any established decks, you are thinking competitively.

In this case Painter's Servant is the only Scarecrow that sees serious tournament play - but Painter's Servant decks are only scarecrow decks in the same sense in that BUG-Delver is an elf-deck (becaus it runs deathrite shaman, an elf).
    That is to say there are no dedicated scarecrow decks in any tournament format.

Now, if we're talking casual, there is no "usual" way to build a deck with scarecrows, because the "format" is so very open.
    Reaper King is obviously a powerful card and also a "build around" type of card.
    But scarecrows in general good supporting creatures and can go in a variety of decks.
    My personal favorite scarecrow and one of my favorite magic creatures of all times is the Scuttlemutt.

It is a 2/2 for 3 with a Birds of Paradise effect. Since its colorless, it is useful in many decks (especially 3+ color decks with a restrained budget for lands), but not groundbreaking. The fun part is the second ability. It is not only are very fun and rather unique ability, but also very skill-testing. A card like scuttlemutt demands you to get creative. I like that

17. - Top - End - #377
    Ogre in the Playground

Not quite sure how they work, but by card effects, you will need other colored cards. Yeah there is Reaper King, and that card that makes everything one color, but that is not enough. You need to make sure you have enough colored creatures.
    Show

18. - Top - End - #378
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Duck999 View Post
    Not quite sure how they work, but by card effects, you will need other colored cards. Yeah there is Reaper King, and that card that makes everything one color, but that is not enough. You need to make sure you have enough colored creatures.
    Why? :P

Not to say it should be built as an affinity deck is, but what specific need does the deck have for colored creatures?
    3DS Friend Code: 3067-5674-0852. Currently running: Emerald.

Latias, Groudon, Rayquaza, Kyogre promised to JustPlayItLoud for a shiny Gastly, Gulpin, Frogadier, and Dedenne. Regirock, Regice, Registeel up for grabs.

Spoiler: Living Shinydex Progress 31/718 Newest Shiny: Buneary
    Show
    Gen I: 9/151
    Gen II: 6/100
    Gen III: 7/135
    Gen IV: 3/107
    Gen V: 3/156
    Gen VI: 2/69

Come visit World's Finest Gaming on Tumblr or Facebook or even our Youtube channel and watch me stream!

19. - Top - End - #379

Quote Originally Posted by Loreweaver15 View Post
    Why? :P

Not to say it should be built as an affinity deck is, but what specific need does the deck have for colored creatures?
    Apparently, some scarecrows become stronger if coloured creatures are present, or can buff creatures of specific colours. But there are ways to cheat such requirements, in addition to those already mentioned. (Not all of them are terribly good, but they exist. Like this, this, this, this, this, this, this, this, or this. Potential fun with Washout in some cases.)

I guess it's also not fun to keep running into a Rune of Protection, or to have Shatterstorm become a combined one-sided Armageddon/Wrath of God, but a five-colour deck really ought to have ways around such things.

20. - Top - End - #380

My FLGS needs to hit 50 people on gameday in order to qualify for New Store+ or whatever their new top tier is. Its a standard event which is a format I don't play and know almost nothing about. I like the idea of the Honey Badger Charge decks floating around the internet and I already own a fair portion of the cards. I was just wondering if anybody had any experience with them/ideas on how to construct and play them/proper sideboarding etc.

21. - Top - End - #381
    Pixie in the Playground

Legacy is fun!
    I hate fun!

Spoiler
    Show
    //Artifact (2)
    2 Cursed Scroll

//Creature (3)
    2 Nether Spirit
    1 Tombstalker

//Enchantment (2)
    1 Nether Void
    1 Night of Souls' Betrayal

//Instant (7)
    4 Dark Ritual
    3 Funeral Charm

//Planeswalker (4)
    4 Liliana of the Veil

//Sorcery (18)
    4 Hymn to Tourach
    4 Innocent Blood
    1 Inquisition of Kozilek
    1 Pox
    4 Sinkhole
    4 Smallpox

//Land (25)
    4 Ghost Quarter
    16 Swamp
    1 The Tabernacle at Pendrell Vale
    4 Urborg, Tomb of Yawgmoth

Any suggestions on my Pox deck?

Also, does anyone wanna play through post on this site?

22. - Top - End - #382
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Stinkweed Imp View Post
    Legacy is fun!
    I hate fun!

I'm surprised it doesn't have any manlands in it.
    The gnomes once had many mines, but now they have gnome ore.

23. - Top - End - #383
    Titan in the Playground

Legacy is fun!
    I hate fun!

Spoiler
    Show
    //Artifact (2)
    2 Cursed Scroll

//Creature (3)
    2 Nether Spirit
    1 Tombstalker

//Enchantment (2)
    1 Nether Void

//Instant (7)
    4 Dark Ritual
    3 Funeral Charm

//Planeswalker (4)
    4 Liliana of the Veil

//Sorcery (18)
    4 Hymn to Tourach
    4 Innocent Blood
    1 Inquisition of Kozilek
    1 Pox
    4 Sinkhole
    4 Smallpox

//Land (25)
    4 Ghost Quarter
    16 Swamp

The inclusion of Nether Spirit confuses me; you have exactly one card capable of removing things from your graveyard.
    That's how wizards beta test their new animals. If it survives Australia, it's a go. Which in hindsight explains a LOT about Australia.

24. - Top - End - #384
    Dwarf in the Playground

Legacy is fun!
    I hate fun!

Spoiler
    Show
    //Artifact (2)
    2 Cursed Scroll

//Creature (3)
    2 Nether Spirit
    1 Tombstalker

//Enchantment (2)
    1 Nether Void

//Instant (7)
    4 Dark Ritual
    3 Funeral Charm

//Planeswalker (4)
    4 Liliana of the Veil

//Sorcery (18)
    4 Hymn to Tourach
    4 Innocent Blood
    1 Inquisition of Kozilek
    1 Pox
    4 Sinkhole
    4 Smallpox

//Land (25)
    4 Ghost Quarter
    16 Swamp

Also, does anyone wanna play through post on this site?
    This looks almost like a budget pox deck, but then I see Nether Void and Tabernacle and I don't even.

You want to replace the Ghost Quarters with Wastelands. Cabal Pits are also good. Thoughtseize is better than Funeral Charm. Night of Soul's Betrayal is probably too little for too much. Mishra's Factory is also a good addition to have, Bojuka Bog is nice as a 1 of, and 4 Urborgs is most likely too many.

You also want Dark Rituals in order to power out nasty things like Turn 1 Liliana, Turn 1 Thoughtseize+hymn, etc. Crucible of Worlds would probably also be a good addition to make your lands recur.
    Last edited by Litewarior; 2014-05-05 at 06:49 PM.

25. - Top - End - #385
    Ogre in the Playground

DrowGuy

So my commander deck did really well, but I have to change things If I want people to ever play with me again. I got rid of Worldslayer and Armageddon. As fun as it was to play Armageddon right after the Mayael player just played Boundless Realms for 9 lands, I think he was pretty close to throttling me.

Although I'm leaving in Cleansing and Catastrophe, since Pacts have shown up before.

26. - Top - End - #386
    Ogre in the Playground

GreenSorcererElf

so, i'm finally trying to design an EDH deck

it's going to be a child of alara deck, with lots of ramp, and some big guys in it, like the five praetors
    problem is, i've never made an edh deck before, so i have no idea what makes a good one
    elemental avatar by kaariane

extended signature

27. - Top - End - #387
    Firbolg in the Playground

so, i'm finally trying to design an EDH deck

it's going to be a child of alara deck, with lots of ramp, and some big guys in it, like the five praetors
    problem is, i've never made an edh deck before, so i have no idea what makes a good one
    From what I've read online, the bigger a deck is the more mana curve matters.
    From my own experience, if you would put one-of something in a 60 card deck you want to put 3-5 variants of it in an EDH deck.

Your general can either be the hingepin your deck revolves around or the enabler for color combinations. I prefer to use them as hingepins since they rarely ever stay dead.

Tuck spells are extra useful in EDH. Sending enemy generals to their owner's libraries can end games.

Search is king in EDH. (Though admittedly search is often king.)

You'll also want tho Bringers cycle from Mirrodin block and Maelstrom Archangel from Alara block.

I've noticed with my own Child deck that the option to wipe the field by letting it go to the graveyard or not wipe by letting it go to the general zone gives you a lot of political power while also painting a giant target on your forehead. Be prepared for potentially very long games with lots and lots of field resets.

28. - Top - End - #388

Depending on your meta a few things are important.

You need a ramp or card draw suite. A collection of cards whose purpose is to get you more cards. You need to make sure you have a few ways to cheat out lands or fish for colors and draw extra cards.

You need a removal suite. ~10 cards dedicated to removal is the number I shoot for. This can be anything: enchantment removal, artifact removal, creature removal, etc. Sending things to the graveyard is good. Tucking them is better. Exiling them is best. Removal on a body is excellent. If it has an ETB: Exile/destroy/whatever this is very useful. Also things like Royal Assassin.

You need Versatility. An 8/8 with trample is fine. a 6/6 that does things is better. A spell that fishes for land is good. A spell that fishes for land or cycles to draw a card is better. Flashback is very good. Rebound is very good. In general the more use you can get out of a single card the better that card is. The more different things a card can do the better it is.

Creatures are easy to kill. Enchantments and artifacts are harder to deal with.

Synergy is important. Powerful individual cards are great but lots of interactions is better. Abhorrent Overlord in my green/black deck synergizes with a lot of things. It is extremely powerful. Its a house. I can't tell you how many games I've won because I resolved an Abhorrent Overlord in green/black.

But in my red/green/black deck it doesn't do much beyond make some harpies. Its value goes way, way down as one of the 99 because it has no synergy. When you put a card in your deck ask what other cards it will interact with. The fewer the interactions the less useful the card. Even if that card is a Praetor. Sometimes a big stupid thing is just a big stupid thing.

Graveyard recursion. Your graveyard is your second hand. When people mill me I think heck yeah put those cards in my graveyard. put em there! DO IT. You need a few ways to hate out people's graveyards and exploit your own.

Tutors. This is a tricky situation. Tutors add consistency to EDH. I don't play with many tutors because I think they run counter to the spirit of the game. But I do run them because sometimes you just need to tutor up an answer. How many you run is up to you. The more tutors you play the more cinsistent your deck will be. The fewer you run the more random and, I think, the more varied and interesting your deck will be.

29. - Top - End - #389
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by unseenmage View Post
    I've noticed with my own Child deck that the option to wipe the field by letting it go to the graveyard or not wipe by letting it go to the general zone gives you a lot of political power while also painting a giant target on your forehead. Be prepared for potentially very long games with lots and lots of field resets.
    And pack plenty of ways to exile things from your graveyard so you can get it back into the command zone after you do let it die.

30. - Top - End - #390
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Sith_Happens View Post
    And pack plenty of ways to exile things from your graveyard so you can get it back into the command zone after you do let it die.
    Relic of Progenitus is my favorite.
    Red Hand of Doom in Eberron IC | OOC | Rolls

LGBTitP

Thank you to Akrim.elf for my beautiful avatar.