New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 15 of 50 FirstFirst ... 567891011121314151617181920212223242540 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #421
    Bugbear in the Playground
    Default Re: Magic the Gathering XIX: Heroic- Bump this thread.

Quote Originally Posted by Khay View Post
    Spoiler: response rambling
    Show

Caveat: I don't understand this game very well, and I love running terrible, terrible, terrible cards.

Door and Coat work in rather different ways. For instance, you can 'cheat' your creatures bigger with the door by abusing bounce effects, and as you said, it maintains its charges post-boardwipe. You might also be able to cheat charge counters on there. If they ever printing a legendary Myr, I'm totally throwing that door and things like Coretapper into a Myr commander deck. Also, the door only affects your creatures, while Coat of Arms affects all, so the door is a better choice against other tribal decks. But under normal circumstances, I'd guess the Coat is better.

It does look like it could be a victory condition, once you have the right amount of board presence.

I... don't think it is, really. Most of the time, the Mirror's Gallery is going to be a dead draw, and if you run only 1, there's a good chance you won't draw it in those few situations where it *would* be relevant. If you're gonna abuse it, you'll need to run way more legendary cards.

Cavern of Souls is absolutely beautiful in a prismatic tribal deck.

Sure, those aren't bad in artifact-creature based decks, I'd say. Very expensive mana-wise, in case of the forge, so make sure you have a good mana basis.

I really like Ghostway. As you said, it lets you trigger comes-into-play triggers, and you can also use it to dodge (mass) removal quite well.

Ehh. I mean, sure, mass removal is always great, especially if it's mass removal that spares your own creatures. But you're giving your opponent time to react with delayed effects like this. It depends, I guess - I'm not really good enough at this game to evaluate that card properly, I think.

As for me, I'm currently undergoing a major crisis of the conscience. I want to get into EDH with a stupid gimmick deck, still. Do I play Sliver tribal, or do I play Myr tribal? I mean, it's obvious which of those is the strongest, but if I was concerned about power level, I wouldn't be asking this question, would I? Myrs would probably run Karona, False God as Commander, just for added WTF factor. And 'cause she's cheap on the card market. ... maybe Atogatog. But Slivers are such ridiculous fun. Go for Slivers for now and write angry letters to WotC every day until they print a legendary Myr?

/EDIT: I keep forgetting that there actually is a legendary Myr. Printed before the regular Myrs, oddly enough.

Sliver Tribal is Tribal in Easy Mode. Throw all the good slivers in a pile with removal and ramp and you're done. Build the Myr.

2. - Top - End - #422
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Zombimode View Post
    Actually, I DO buy checklands and shocklands. I will NOT buy fetchlands or old duals. I have better thing to do with my money.
    I'm with you on the original duals and any fetchland that fetches Islands. Stupid Scalding Tarns and Misty Rainforests skyrocketing just as I finally start making my first forays into Blue...

Of course, on the flipside, a couple years back I bought four Marsh Flats, four Verdant Catacombs, and three Tombs of Yawgmoth for a monocolor deck just to make the most of Bloodghast. It's been totally worth it though, the deck in question runs a lot of sac effects.

*checks TCGPlayer out of sudden curiosity*

...And Flats and Catacombs are also up ~100% since then. I guess I do dodge price-spike bullets sometimes after all.

---------------

How useful or viable is burn in EDH, both flat and X-cost? I'm building Melek, so that obviously changes the equation at least somewhat.
    Last edited by Sith_Happens; 2014-05-07 at 05:20 PM.
    Revan avatar by kaptainkrutch.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cirrylius View Post
    That's how wizards beta test their new animals. If it survives Australia, it's a go. Which in hindsight explains a LOT about Australia.

3. - Top - End - #423

Quote Originally Posted by Sith_Happens View Post
    I'm with you on the original duals and any fetchland that fetches Islands. Stupid Scalding Tarns and Misty Rainforests skyrocketing just as I finally start making my first forays into Blue...

Of course, on the flipside, a couple years back I bought four Marsh Flats, four Verdant Catacombs, and three Tombs of Yawgmoth for a monocolor deck just to make the most of Bloodghast. It's been totally worth it though, the deck in question runs a lot of sac effects.

*checks TCGPlayer out of sudden curiosity*

...And Flats and Catacombs are also up ~100% since then. I guess I do dodge price-spike bullets sometimes after all.

---------------

How useful or viable is burn in EDH, both flat and X-cost? I'm building Melek, so that obviously changes the equation at least somewhat.
    You have 40 life at least. So you have to deal an extra 20 points of damage. That makes Burn as your main tool is not good. Burn as a tool in your toolbox is perfectly fine. Sometimes you just need a Lava Axe to the face. But if your deck is full of Lava Axes you're going to lose more than you win.

4. - Top - End - #424
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Seatbelt View Post
    You have 40 life at least. So you have to deal an extra 20 points of damage. That makes Burn as your main tool is not good. Burn as a tool in your toolbox is perfectly fine. Sometimes you just need a Lava Axe to the face. But if your deck is full of Lava Axes you're going to lose more than you win.
    What about a burn/control sort of setup, slowly grinding out tempo and card advantage while periodically blasting people with doubled-up Banefires and such until they finally hit zero?
    That's how wizards beta test their new animals. If it survives Australia, it's a go. Which in hindsight explains a LOT about Australia.

5. - Top - End - #425
    Titan in the Playground

What about a burn/control sort of setup, slowly grinding out tempo and card advantage while periodically blasting people with doubled-up Banefires and such until they finally hit zero?
    Unless your play group is extremely low-optimization, that sort of strategy just won't be able to keep up with creature-based strategies or more pure control decks.
    Red Hand of Doom in Eberron IC | OOC | Rolls

LGBTitP

Thank you to Akrim.elf for my beautiful avatar.

6. - Top - End - #426
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by RaggedAngel View Post
    Unless your play group is extremely low-optimization, that sort of strategy just won't be able to keep up with creature-based strategies or more pure control decks.
    Maybe "slowly" and "periodically" weren't the right words, ideally it'd be more like ramping a bunch of mana, drawing ALL the cards, and blasting someone in the face at least twice per turn. With a healthy side of bounce and "damage each creature" to keep creatures off my back. And plenty of cantrips to spam if I get Guttersnipe, Taldrand, and/or Young Pyromancer out. And a couple good storm cards wouldn't hurt either.

7. - Top - End - #427
    Barbarian in the Playground

Sliver Tribal is Tribal in Easy Mode. Throw all the good slivers in a pile with removal and ramp and you're done. Build the Myr.
    Yeah, that's what I was thinking. Myr just seem more fun, although it does mean I don't get to use many cards with the pretty pre-Modern frame. Oh well.

I've put some ramblings about commanders into the spoiler below, I'd be quite grateful for thoughts. Myrs are gimmicky, of course, but I do want the deck to stand at least something of a chance.

Spoiler: robot army
    Show
    Scars of Mirrodin seems to have rotated out of Standard (don't laugh, I have no idea anymore how Standard works) so I'll hopefully be able to pick cards up cheaply. A pure Myr deck would be ideal, but in the interests of making it actually playable, I'm allowing myself a small amount of non-Myr creatures.

Biggest question is obviously the commander. It would be nice if it included White, because there are four cards with that specific colour identity that make Myrs. Green isn't a priority, as Myrs ship with mana acceleration built in, and White already takes care of removal - and it's arguably better at that than Black - so I don't need Black all that urgently. That's convenient, as Red and Blue have many fun things to do with artifacts. I'd therefore opt for either a 'true' White/Blue/Red deck, or one with a five-colour Commander that just doesn't happen to play (m)any Black and Green things. In the five-colour case, Karona would probably the Commander, which has applications in the "swing for game" department. Sliver Overlord would would work with Conspiracy, but eh. The other WUBRG legends aren't so great. WUR itself has three choices for a commander, and I'd opt for Numot, the Devastator purely because he's not from an officially Commander-focussed set.

There are some other commanders I've looked at. I really like Intet, the Dreamer - but playing him would mean no Master's Call, Myrsmith or Origin Spellbomb, and a less effective Shrine of Loyal Legions. Chromium has both white and blue and fits aesthetics-wise, but he's also terrible, terrible, terrible. Terrible.

Worth consideration in the two-colour section are Hanna, Ship's Navigator (WU, delicious artifact recurrence, old card frame) and Jor Kadeen, the Prevailer (WR, also sort of aggro-ish.) Worth consideration in the "I have this card already" section is... Oros, the Avenger, I guess. Very risky, doesn't have Blue, so that's probably a no. In the mono-colour section there's Bosh, Iron Golem. I do like the mental image of him flinging handfuls of Myr at a planeswalker, but - also no blue.

In the end, I'd probably go with Numot.

(And yes, Memnarch is probably the most fitting and powerful option. But I'm not playing a Memnarch deck.)

8. - Top - End - #428
    Ogre in the Playground

Sliver Tribal is easy, but it is not just throw in all the good slivers. Add in the obvious cards, too, like Sliver Legion as your commander, Coat of Arms, Ancient Ziggurat, etc.
    Avatar made by Bradakhan| Other avatars.
    Spoiler: Quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by TFT on quicktopic
    Oh no, Duck999 is a mason.

How can I possibly suspect you of being a wolf now? :(

:P
    Quote Originally Posted by Legato Endless View Post
    Duck: Mason. A really shifty mason, but a confirmed role nonetheless.

Slii: Slii is town. He looks better than Duck even with that mason claim.

9. - Top - End - #429

Quote Originally Posted by Duck999 View Post
    Sliver Tribal is easy, but it is not just throw in all the good slivers. Add in the obvious cards, too, like Sliver Legion as your commander, Coat of Arms, Ancient Ziggurat, etc.
    Those cards would be part and parcel of "Tribal."

10. - Top - End - #430
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Who reads these anyway?

Those cards would be part and parcel of "Tribal."
    Ancient Ziggurat is not good in all tribal. Only multi-color creature heavy/no non creatures tribal.
    Show

11. - Top - End - #431
    Ogre in the Playground

GreenSorcererElf

Spoiler: lots of random talking about new deck idea
    Show
    ok, i kinda came up with a plan for a deck, it'd be for casual play, but it might work, maybe

the idea of the deck is kind of turbo fog, you want lots of cards in hand, and some grave recursion

it'd be a five colour deck, with mostly green cards and artifacts, no lands except for 4 reliquary towers, 4 cavern of souls (scarecrow), and 16 forests

it'll run a few mirror gallery's, and four reaper kings, all the other creatures will either be cheap scarecrows, or cheap manaramp, it'll also run some chromatic lanterns, channel the suns, infinite reflection, overwhelming stampede, obviously a few fog effects, and some draw effects, like font of mythos, rites of flourishing, and maybe howling mines

you keep staying alive until you can get mirror gallery on the field, then you wait until you draw infinite reflection, enchant your reaper king, now all your creatures are a copy of reaper king, every time a creature enters your battle field you destroy a permanent for each other creature you control

i can see it working in casual games, but i assume i couldn't really win many competetive games with it?

i'm going to try and play around with this idea until it can successfully place in the top 3 at FNM, at least once

also, a sort of related question, is reaper kings "reaping" ability optional? i'm talking about "Whenever another Scarecrow enters the battlefield under your control, destroy target permanent" it doesnt seem optional, but i thought i should ask

also, would infinite reflections + reaper king work the way i think it will?

Spoiler: mini-ramble about online deck
    Show
    i designed a prototype deck online, and playtested it a few times, the deck seems to do nothing but stay alive for the first 5 or so turns, then slowly starts destroying permanents, then starts destroying stupid amounts of permanents, then swings for stupid amounts of damage

so far turn 15 seems to be the peak of it's damage, at 1840 damage, with every creature having trample

the only problem is that that was the turn that i drew my last card, so if they fog'd or something then i'd lose on my turn

Spoiler: rambling inside of rambling
    Show
    further testing shows that the sweet spot is around turns 14 through 17

in my latest playtest i swung for a total 2968 on turn 16

before about turn 5 i can fog/equivalent whatever comes my way, turns 6 and later i can block most threats aimed at me, and after about turn 7 i start destroying 6 or more permanents each time i play any creature, even an elvish mystic, and the more creatures i summon the more i can destroy, then i attack, and because of leyline of anticipation non-lands have flash i can cast two copies of overwhelming stampede after my two copies of shared animosity have been activated, but before the damage step (i'm pretty sure i'm right that you can cast an instant around that time, i havent read the exact rules on that in a while) which effectively quadruples my swing, and gives them all trample
    Last edited by Somensjev; 2014-05-09 at 03:19 AM.
    elemental avatar by kaariane

extended signature

12. - Top - End - #432

The ability isn't optional; there's no "you may" in there. If your opponents are out of permanents, you'll have to start targetting your own. Do note that you can target the same permanent several times, though, as the abilities are all put on the stack before any start resolving.

you keep staying alive until you can get mirror gallery on the field, then you wait until you draw infinite reflection, enchant your reaper king
    I'd have to see the deck to properly pass judgment on it, but it doesn't sound overly competitve, yeah. It depends on the format you're in, of course, but competitive decks should already have won by turn five against an opponent who doesn't do much. (Or be in a situation where they can't lose anymore in case of Control, I guess.) Fog can keep you alive against certain aggro decks, but it also leads to card disadvantage and forces you to keep mana open each turn, and there are many strategies it just won't help against. And even those decks will eventually overwhelm you if you can't quickly adress their board advantage. So at the very least, you'll want answers.

I don't know how you play-tested it, of course, but it's important to play-test against several different types of opposing decks. Can the deck live through a hard rush? Can it deal with control? Can it win against combo decks? What if you don't draw your combo pieces, or what if your opponent sideboards in some artifact hate after the first match? And so on.

TL;DR: Winning overwhelmingly using a complex combo is great fun. But a deck that could 1840 damage on turn 15 will lose against a deck that does do 20 damage by turn 5.

... said the Myr tribal guy. I know, I know.

13. - Top - End - #433
    Ogre in the Playground

Not overly competitive at all. Needing three cards is never competitive unless you have ways to get them all sooner. Waiting until you have mirror gallery and infinite reflection is no good. If you want to do that, you use Emrakul and that card that makes all spells colorless (Mycosynth Lattice). At least then you have a a whole bunch of Emrakuls.
    Show

14. - Top - End - #434

Yeah. It should be noted that you've not generated any value yet with those 3 cards, and there's little additional effect on the 4th card. It's only from card 5 onwards that you're really starting to grind out additional value (assuming cards 4+ are creatures). The combo does build a lot of momentum once you finally get it going, but it takes a lot of time and work to get there. So yeah, not competitive in itself.

You'll want a ton of tutoring, at the very least, but you also need defenses, mana acceleration, value creatures... I'm not saying it's impossible to make the deck work, but outside of casual, you'll face an uphill battle.

15. - Top - End - #435
    Troll in the Playground

I responded to successive bans against my decks once by building UG tribal Fish. Not Merfolk, but actual fish. That was an... interesting deck. Shame it got banned.

I never really thought of Dandan as a star of any deck before, but it sure showed me.

Edit: Forays into Pauper thus far are... intriguing. I feel like I'm breaking an unspoken law by not playing Ulamog's Crusher Reanimator. I know I'm breaking half a dozen laws at the least by playing UR Scornful Egotist counterburn.
    Last edited by Cogwheel; 2014-05-09 at 10:26 AM.
    Spoiler
    Show

Homebrew:
    The Sandman

16. - Top - End - #436
    Ogre in the Playground

GreenSorcererElf

a link to my admittedly poor deck

and it can win without the combo, i just like the combo

also, i seem to have made it slightly faster, at the expense of some damage, it can now pull of the combo somewhere around turn 12 (and i had a pretty bad first 4 turns)

i actually took out the fog/equivalent, the deck can at least survive until turn three, when you can get your first reaper king out (best case scenario, i'm pretty sure)

the fastest the combo seems to be able to be pulled off is around turn 9, however the deck can function without it, such as my doing this
    Spoiler: deck stuff
    Show

turn 1: cavern of souls (elf), llanowar elves
    turn 2: forest, chromatic lantern, elvish mystic
    turn 3: reliquary tower, howling mine, font of mythos
    turn 4: forest, elvish mystic, rites of flourishing, rites of flourishing
    turn 5: land, coat of arms, shared animosity
    turn 6: land, elvish mystic, coat of arms, shared animosity
    turn 7: land, land, leyline of anticipation, attack with four 7/7 elves, they become 13/7 elves because of dual shared animosity, then use a single copy of overwhelming stampede to give them all +13/+13 and trample till end of turn, and do a total 104 damage

could probably get that earlier actually

Spoiler: do it faster
    Show

turn 1: leyline of anticipation, forest, elvish mystic
    turn 2: forest, llanowar elves, llanowar elves
    turn 3: reliquary tower, howling mine, howling mine
    turn 4: cavern of souls (elf), coat of arms
    turn 5: forest, elvish mystic, coat of arms, llanowar elf,
    turn 6: cavern of souls (elf), cast overwhelming stampede and swing with five elves, each elf is an 18/18 trample, so that's 90 damage

i guess that qualifies as faster

extended signature

17. - Top - End - #437

Quote Originally Posted by Cogwheel View Post
    I responded to successive bans against my decks

I don't understand what this means. Successive bans against your decks?

18. - Top - End - #438
    Troll in the Playground

I don't understand what this means. Successive bans against your decks?
    My usual playgroup bans certain decks I play (all of them, eventually, once I either pull off some plays that someone or the other is displeased by, or get a few wins). Some cards have received the same treatment. As such, I'm constantly making new ones since I'm no longer allowed to play my old decks.

Edit: One of the more memorable dumb decks I resorted to in the hope of not offending anyway was RGU. Basically stall a while and prepare Doubling Season, Mirror Gallery and Warstorm Surge. Then, Stangg. The turn after, drop a kicked Rite of Replication on him.
    Last edited by Cogwheel; 2014-05-09 at 01:26 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show

Homebrew:
    The Sandman

19. - Top - End - #439

My usual playgroup bans certain decks I play (all of them, eventually, once I either pull off some plays that someone or the other is displeased by, or get a few wins). Some cards have received the same treatment. As such, I'm constantly making new ones since I'm no longer allowed to play my old decks.

Edit: One of the more memorable dumb decks I resorted to in the hope of not offending anyway was RGU. Basically stall a while and prepare Doubling Season, Mirror Gallery and Warstorm Surge. Then, Stangg. The turn after, drop a kicked Rite of Replication on him.
    I'm sorry that your group's response to your decks is to ban them rather than figure out how to beat them. That's pretty lame. Maybe you could sit down with your friends and help them improve their decks?

20. - Top - End - #440
    Ogre in the Playground

GreenSorcererElf

this has happened to me once
    if i even mention the deck that got banned i get deathstares
    and it was a pretty bad deck too

extended signature

21. - Top - End - #441
    Titan in the Playground

I'm sorry that your group's response to your decks is to ban them rather than figure out how to beat them. That's pretty lame. Maybe you could sit down with your friends and help them improve their decks?
    Sounds like the kind of group where an average "high-power" deck is a draft deck with a few extra random cards thrown in.
    Red Hand of Doom in Eberron IC | OOC | Rolls

LGBTitP

Thank you to Akrim.elf for my beautiful avatar.

22. - Top - End - #442
    Troll in the Playground

I offered, actually? Shot down. The idea being that if I helped make the deck and therefore know what's in it/how it works, I have an unfair advantage.

Quote Originally Posted by RaggedAngel View Post
    Sounds like the kind of group where an average "high-power" deck is a draft deck with a few extra random cards thrown in.
    We play on Cockatrice, so in practice there are no limitations beyond what we agree on (I play with anything legacy allows, but tend to steer clear of serious power cards). They tend to run things like...

Well, for instance, imagine a clunky aggro/midrange black deck that happens to have a couple zombie/zombie synergy cards. It splashes a bit of white for Mother of Runes, and then randomly has two Demonic Tutors. That's one example that happened before.

Anyway! Can't be helped, just got to chase that deck that doesn't bother anyone. Didn't come here to complain about people, in any case.
    Last edited by Cogwheel; 2014-05-09 at 03:35 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show

Homebrew:
    The Sandman

23. - Top - End - #443
    Titan in the Playground

Edit: Forays into Pauper thus far are... intriguing. I feel like I'm breaking an unspoken law by not playing Ulamog's Crusher Reanimator. I know I'm breaking half a dozen laws at the least by playing UR Scornful Egotist counterburn.
    I've never played Pauper myself, but the way I see it whatever works, w-ALL HAIL THE GREAT EGOTIST.

*cough*

Anyways, belated thoughts on Cogwork Librarian since I randomly just looked at it again:

1. HOLY CRAP, I just noticed it's a common. Conspiracy drafts are going to be craaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaazy.

2. I expect a sudden expansion to the comprehensive rulebook with the release of this set, since it currently contains nothing whatsoever pertaining to Limited.

24. - Top - End - #444
    Titan in the Playground

DrowGuy

Any obvious choices for which Journey to Nyx intro pack to buy? I don't mind about style, I like having a variety of deck types, so I'm mainly looking for power, specifically how well they perform with minimal replacements (as I have very few even half-decent cards in my backup), but also how fun they would be to play. I like Fates Foreseen, but I do already have a sort of RU scry/burn deck, I'm not convinced by Pantheon's Power or the Wild and the Deep, but Voracious Rage and Mortals of Myth seem like fun.
    "It doesn't matter how much you struggle or strive,
    You'll never get out of life alive,
    So please kill yourself and save this land,
    And your last mission is to spread my command,"

Slightly adapted quote from X-Fusion, Please Kill Yourself

25. - Top - End - #445
    Troll in the Playground

I've never played Pauper myself, but the way I see it whatever works, w-ALL HAIL THE GREAT EGOTIST.

*cough*
    It's a typical common counterburn shell, but runs the following to work with Egotist and some other stuff: Dispersal Shield, Erratic Explosion, Torrent of Fire, Riddle of Lightning, Rush of Knowledge... And just for bonus hilarity with that last one in particular, Sokenzan Spellblade. Some Brainstorm, Ponder etc. to manipulate topdecks for the above cards. Not the best deck? Glorious when it works, though.

Fun fact: Dispersal Shield running off Egotist in Pauper counters literally the entire format except Hand of Emrakul.
    Spoiler
    Show

Homebrew:
    The Sandman

26. - Top - End - #446
    Ogre in the Playground

GreenSorcererElf

It's a typical common counterburn shell, but runs the following to work with Egotist and some other stuff: Dispersal Shield, Erratic Explosion, Torrent of Fire, Riddle of Lightning, Rush of Knowledge... And just for bonus hilarity with that last one in particular, Sokenzan Spellblade. Some Brainstorm, Ponder etc. to manipulate topdecks for the above cards. Not the best deck? Glorious when it works, though.

Fun fact: Dispersal Shield running off Egotist in Pauper counters literally the entire format except Hand of Emrakul.
    why doesn't it counter hand of emrakul

extended signature

27. - Top - End - #447
    Titan in the Playground

DrowGuy

Quote Originally Posted by chaotic stupid View Post
    why doesn't it counter hand of emrakul
    Because the CMC of the hand is higher than that of Egotist.
    "It doesn't matter how much you struggle or strive,
    You'll never get out of life alive,
    So please kill yourself and save this land,
    And your last mission is to spread my command,"

Slightly adapted quote from X-Fusion, Please Kill Yourself

28. - Top - End - #448
    Troll in the Playground

It's the only common above 8 CMC, funnily enough.
    Spoiler
    Show

Homebrew:
    The Sandman

29. - Top - End - #449

Maybe "slowly" and "periodically" weren't the right words, ideally it'd be more like ramping a bunch of mana, drawing ALL the cards, and blasting someone in the face at least twice per turn. With a healthy side of bounce and "damage each creature" to keep creatures off my back. And plenty of cantrips to spam if I get Guttersnipe, Taldrand, and/or Young Pyromancer out. And a couple good storm cards wouldn't hurt either.
    Do you play EDH with more than one other person? If you do, that's forty life you need to get through for each of them. Burn very quickly becomes a nonviable strategy as the number of players increases unless you're generating infinite mana and using it to fuel Comet Storm or something (any "target player draws X cards" spell works too, although that isn't strictly burn). So your goal with Melek is to drag the game out by countering things and/or give yourself extra turns until you can do that. If that sounds fun to you and the people you play against, go for it. Personally, I built the deck and played it three times before realizing that no one in my meta was enjoying it, including myself. It's not even that it's competitive; there are plenty of stronger decks that I've played with and against without comment, but the fact that it pretty much requires you to stall the game out in order for it to function really hurts it.

Strangely enough, I've been considering Melek for a house variant in which players get to add another color to a general of their choice, as I think adding either black (for the ability to tutor up wincons) or green (mostly for ramp, although there are a few other green instants and sorceries that would be fun to double) would actually make the deck more fun by reducing the need for it to be so grindy. But outside of that, Melek mostly just offers you the exciting choice between being fairly ineffectual or being That Guy.

30. - Top - End - #450
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by CN the Logos View Post
    [Snip]
    Kind of funny someone randomly pulls this topic down from near the top of the page, I just got a list nearly put together and was coming on here to ask for a bit of help on it.

First off, I did end up going a different route after all; crunching the numbers based on an expectation of 3-4 person games it turned out I'd need from 7-10 burn spells to ensure a win without some truly insane mana generation, and that's assuming I cast them off the top at least two-thirds of the time. Possible with enough draw and library manipulation, but that takes mana too. Ugh. So rather than dealing with that I decided I'd rather focus on having Fun with Storm and Other Cast TriggersTM.

Which brings me to my current conundrum. Namely, having a list of 111 cards and not knowing which 12 to cut. Plus I'd like to fit some more disruption and draw in if possible, and maybe a few counterspells (even if only Hinder and Spell Crumple because I'm a mean person who has no qualms with tucking enemy commanders).

Spoiler: Melek, Izzet Paragon
    Show
    Creatures (8):
    Azami, Lady of Scrolls
    Goblin Electromancer
    Guttersnipe
    Kira, Great Glass-Spinner
    Magus of the Future
    Sakashima the Impostor
    Talrand, Sky Summoner
    Young Pyromancer

Instants (29):
    Brainstorm
    Cackling Counterpart
    Chaos Warp
    Comet Storm
    Cyclonic Rift
    Evacuation
    Fact or Fiction
    Fated Infatuation
    Fire//Ice
    Firemind's Insight
    Flame Javelin
    Fork
    Hyrkyl's Recall
    Increasing Vengeance
    Lightning Bolt
    Magma Jet
    Mystical Tutor
    Pongify
    Prophetic Bolt
    Rapid Hybridization
    Reiterate
    Reset
    Reververate
    Spin into Myth
    Starstorm
    Steam Augury
    Turn//Burn
    Turnabout
    Twincast

Sorceries (22):
    Aftershock
    Anger of the Gods
    Blasphemous Act
    Chain Reaction
    Epic Experiment
    Fabricate
    Flame Slash
    Grapeshot
    Ignite Memories
    Mana Geyser
    Merchant Scroll
    Mind's Desire
    Mizzium Mortars
    Molten Psyche
    Past in Flames
    Personal Tutor
    Ponder
    Preordain
    Rite of Replication
    Serum Visions
    Time Spiral
    Wheel of Fortune

Lands (30):

10 Island
    6 Mountain
    Ancient Tomb
    Boseiju, Who Shelters All
    Darksteel Citadel
    Desolate Lighthouse
    Great Furnace
    Halimar Depths
    Izzet Boilerworks
    Reliquary Tower
    Seat of the Synod
    Steam Vents
    Sulfur Falls
    Temple of Epiphany
    Thawing Glaciers
    Tolaria West

Other Permanents (22):

Arcane Melee
    Chromatic Lantern
    Chrome Mox
    Coldsteel Heart
    Crystal Ball
    Future Sight
    Gilded Lotus
    Isochron Scepter
    Izzet Signet
    Jace, the Mind Sculptor
    Keranos, God of Storms
    Mana Flare
    Mox Diamond
    Ruby Medallion
    Sapphire Medallion
    Scroll Rack
    Semblance Anvil
    Sensei's Divining Top
    Sol Ring
    Sphinx-Bone Wand
    Strionic Resonator
    Tezzeret, the Seeker

This is my first Commander deck, so any advice on cutting this down and/or further modifying it is appreciated.
    Last edited by Sith_Happens; 2014-05-11 at 07:08 AM.