New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 8 of 50 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516171833 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #211
    Ogre in the Playground

GreenSorcererElf

Default Re: Magic the Gathering XIX: Heroic- Bump this thread.

is it bad to run a 60 card multiplayer deck, where the whole point of it is to get out a few copies of paradox haze, sen triplets, and a mycosynth lattice, and play everyone else's cards?

i just found sent triplets, and now i really want to design a deck around her
    elemental avatar by kaariane

extended signature

2. - Top - End - #212
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by chaotic stupid View Post
    is it bad to run a 60 card multiplayer deck, where the whole point of it is to get out a few copies of paradox haze, sen triplets, and a mycosynth lattice, and play everyone else's cards?

i just found sent triplets, and now i really want to design a deck around her
    Yes, it is a bad idea. Sen Triplets has no sort of native protection and will more than likely die before you can get her effect off, making those hazes worthless, and Mycosynth lattice HELPS your opponents in that scenario.

3. - Top - End - #213
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Mystic Muse View Post
    Yes, it is a bad idea. Sen Triplets has no sort of native protection and will more than likely die before you can get her effect off, making those hazes worthless, and Mycosynth lattice HELPS your opponents in that scenario.
    THIS LOOKS LIKE A JOB FOR LIGHTNING GREAVES!

In other news, Theros block now has its bonkers uncommon.
    Revan avatar by kaptainkrutch.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cirrylius View Post
    That's how wizards beta test their new animals. If it survives Australia, it's a go. Which in hindsight explains a LOT about Australia.

4. - Top - End - #214
    Bugbear in the Playground

You can make a budget Talrand EDH that is competitive for around 50.

Also the Prosh and Nekusar commander precons are exctremely good. The Derevi and Ghaji ones are awful. Oloro is just ok.

5. - Top - End - #215
    Ogre in the Playground

Deck question: Should I put in Dictate of Erebos for this deck?

It is made to sacrifice creatures. It has a playset of Gravepact, but the dictate is a little different.
    Avatar made by Bradakhan| Other avatars.
    Spoiler: Quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by TFT on quicktopic
    Oh no, Duck999 is a mason.

How can I possibly suspect you of being a wolf now? :(

:P
    Quote Originally Posted by Legato Endless View Post
    Duck: Mason. A really shifty mason, but a confirmed role nonetheless.

Slii: Slii is town. He looks better than Duck even with that mason claim.

6. - Top - End - #216
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Duck999 View Post
    Deck question: Should I put in Dictate of Erebos for this deck?

It is made to sacrifice creatures. It has a playset of Gravepact, but the dictate is a little different.
    I don't know if you want 8 copies of Gravepact, but I really like the Dictate. Flash is actually really big with this kind of card. People will play around a Gravepact, but they can't play around it if they don't know it's there.
    Red Hand of Doom in Eberron IC | OOC | Rolls

LGBTitP

Thank you to Akrim.elf for my beautiful avatar.

7. - Top - End - #217
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by RaggedAngel View Post
    I don't know if you want 8 copies of Gravepact, but I really like the Dictate. Flash is actually really big with this kind of card. People will play around a Gravepact, but they can't play around it if they don't know it's there.
    Now out of curiosity, does anyone else find that Grave Pact and this new Erebos card run afoul of the Megrim problem? Where the enchantment on it's own isn't enough to kill your opponent?

8. - Top - End - #218
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by unseenmage View Post
    Now out of curiosity, does anyone else find that Grave Pact and this new Erebos card run afoul of the Megrim problem? Where the enchantment on it's own isn't enough to kill your opponent?
    Which is why you wouldn't ever want to play 8. But in casual play they can be absolutely devastating, especially in a deck built around sacrifice effects.

LGBTitP

9. - Top - End - #219
    Ogre in the Playground

I was thinking 2 and 2, 3 and 1, or 4 and 2. Or something along those lines.
    Show

10. - Top - End - #220
    Titan in the Playground

What's a Megrim?
    Last edited by Sith_Happens; 2014-04-18 at 12:33 AM. Reason: Link didn't look like a link for some reason.
    That's how wizards beta test their new animals. If it survives Australia, it's a go. Which in hindsight explains a LOT about Australia.

11. - Top - End - #221
    Ogre in the Playground

That is what Painful Quandry is for. You want to cast a spell? Pay 5 life or discard a card and lose 2.
    Show

12. - Top - End - #222
    Titan in the Playground

That is what Painful Quandry is for. You want to cast a spell? Pay 5 life or discard a card and lose 2.
    What happens when they empty their hand and start beating you down in topdeck mode?

LGBTitP

13. - Top - End - #223
    Ogre in the Playground

What happens when they empty their hand and start beating you down in topdeck mode?
    Not true. That is not how it works. It says they lose 5 life unless they discard a card, and since they can't discard, they must lose 5 life. They have under 4 cards to beat you, assuming they have lost life previously by casting/discarding.
    Show

14. - Top - End - #224
    Titan in the Playground

Not true. That is not how it works. It says they lose 5 life unless they discard a card, and since they can't discard, they must lose 5 life. They have under 4 cards to beat you, assuming they have lost life previously by casting/discarding.
    Ah, I read that wrong. Hm. Not bad at all, then. Not, like, Modern-good, but definitely kitchen-table-good.

LGBTitP

15. - Top - End - #225
    Troll in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Sith_Happens View Post
    THIS LOOKS LIKE A JOB FOR LIGHTNING GREAVES!

In other news, Theros block now has its bonkers uncommon.
    Hm. Interesting. Although with that flavor text, you'd assume Erebos would lean on the Fates to cut his particular thread short. No one likes being called a tyrant, after all.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zap Dynamic View Post
    I want to create a world that is full of possibility, and one of the best ways to handle it is by creating a bunch of stories that haven't yet been finished.
    Quote Originally Posted by Grey_Wolf_c View Post
    At this point, however, I'm thinking way too hard about the practical problems of running a battle royale school for Russian assassins, so I think I'll leave it there.
    In my posts, smilies generally correspond to my expression at the time. As an example, means "huh?" and "Hmm..". Also, "Landis" is fine.

16. - Top - End - #226
    Titan in the Playground

So, it looks like with Ebay seller fees, I'm only going to have enough for THREE wastelands.

17. - Top - End - #227
    Barbarian in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by tgva8889 View Post
    If you're interested in Budget Commander, I suggest doing a google search for it. Lots of people have made some pretty sweet Commander decks on a tight budget (under $50) and you can probably find something interesting in there. I suggest Top and Go Productions on Youtube, as I happen to know the people who run it and they're pretty great. Also they are planning to feature one of my decks at some point.
    A good idea, but I always feel bad about playing decks I haven't built myself. If I was buying a pre-built deck, it'd likely only be to take it apart for supplies; copy-pasting someone else's deck list is just not something I'm comfortable with. (Needless to say, I never did well at Constructed tournaments. ) I'm gonna look at Top and Go Productions for pointers, though. And cheers! Must be a pretty cool deck if they're featuring it.

Quote Originally Posted by Loreweaver15 View Post
    They're relatively cheap and give you good starting supplies! I can theorybuild you a budget deck with pretty much any commander you want, though.
    I wouldn't want to ask for a fully built deck (see above) but some pointers would be very nice if you think that's at all feasible. I'm having problems actually deciding on which commander I want to use, so there's that, too. I'll put my thoughts so far into the spoiler below. (I should warn you beforehand: I'm a big fan of... well, frankly-sort-of-janky setups that often don't quite work but at least win in interesting ways when they do.)

Spoiler: wall o' text
    Show
    I still have an Isperia the Inscrutable from the days of yore, which could be fun; bonus points for making the non-cantrip effect of Urza's Bauble actually matter, to say nothing of Telepathy and Peek and the like. And who doesn't like tutoring for Akroma? A problem I'm seeing here is that the creatures you might want to tutor for would be pretty expensive, dollar-wise. I don't know how hard it is to overcome the 40 starting life in practice; with Isperia the Inscrutable's amazing three power, I doubt I can count on commander damage. There's also the issue of actually getting Isperia's damage through, so I might have to do some control-y shenanigans.

Secondly, there's Commander Eesha. "Protection from Creatures" seems great fun in a more creature-centric format like Commander. Yeah, he's totally inferior to Teysa, Envoy of Ghosts (who also has that ability but is a lot better in other aspects), but that's what makes him interesting. There's also a strong nostalgia factor on my part - old card frame, never reprinted, yay. I guess this deck would center totally around Commander Eesha feature tons and tons of equipment and strength-pumping and suchlike. Mono-coloured commander decks are always iffy, but White has answers for most things I believe. All in all it's probably going to end up too fragile and not-quite-playable, though. But hey, worse plans have worked, and as I recall White has a lot of favourable interaction with Equipment.

Finally, there's Bosh, Iron Golem. This would probably involve mana-ramping artifacts ramping into further mana-ramping artifacts and so forth, leading to Bosh throwing those artifacts at the opposition. IIn case the Bosh thing doesn't work out - well, Wizards released some seventy variants of Fireball over the years.I was tempted to say something about an affinity subtheme, but it turns out there's only like 6 affinity cards playable in this sort of deck, so that's probably not enough. There's a handful of Myr I can throw in, and there are enough colourless walls to deal with the early game, though. A big problem I'm seeing here is that Bosh looks "scary", so one ends up making oneself a priority target again in multiplayer games, and getting some decent ramp going in mono-red... ehhh. Also, artifacts are incredibly easy to destroy.

I should probably look for different commanders, actually. <_< I just like those ideas. It's probably for the best if I just grab a pre-built deck in the right colours and play with it for a while to get a better feeling for the format.

18. - Top - End - #228
    Ogre in the Playground

I definitely want to build u/g sage of hours, it seems like you could actually manage to get him to work, though it certainly is not something that is competitive unless you can get multiple copies of him to stick and use the strive mechanic to pump them all or something...
    Spoiler
    Show

19. - Top - End - #229
    Firbolg in the Playground

So I'm replacing the three Soul Wardens in my Sisay EDH with three Disenchant effects.

What three Disenchant effects would folk here advise?

20. - Top - End - #230

Return to Dust and Krosan Grip, for starters.
    3DS Friend Code: 3067-5674-0852. Currently running: Emerald.

Latias, Groudon, Rayquaza, Kyogre promised to JustPlayItLoud for a shiny Gastly, Gulpin, Frogadier, and Dedenne. Regirock, Regice, Registeel up for grabs.

Spoiler: Living Shinydex Progress 31/718 Newest Shiny: Buneary
    Show
    Gen I: 9/151
    Gen II: 6/100
    Gen III: 7/135
    Gen IV: 3/107
    Gen V: 3/156
    Gen VI: 2/69

Come visit World's Finest Gaming on Tumblr or Facebook or even our Youtube channel and watch me stream!

21. - Top - End - #231

Planetar

Depending on the type of tutoring and deck control that is run in your playgroup, Unravel the Aether could prove useful for interrupting people's carefully calculated draws.

22. - Top - End - #232
    Titan in the Playground

Is Chariot of Victory as great as I think it is? Because it seems pretty great.

23. - Top - End - #233
    Troll in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Ohei, the full spoiler's up on mtgsalv.

I'm calling Armament of Nyx "Penis Metaphor" from now on.

EDIT: Also, Deserter's Quarters has horrifying art. "One night in X room" always sounds bad enough, but then you look at the art and it's a metal bull that has a pyre under it. With an already screaming deserter being pushed in. eeech.
    Last edited by Landis963; 2014-04-19 at 02:13 AM.
    I want to create a world that is full of possibility, and one of the best ways to handle it is by creating a bunch of stories that haven't yet been finished.
    At this point, however, I'm thinking way too hard about the practical problems of running a battle royale school for Russian assassins, so I think I'll leave it there.
    In my posts, smilies generally correspond to my expression at the time. As an example, means "huh?" and "Hmm..". Also, "Landis" is fine.

24. - Top - End - #234
    Titan in the Playground

Is Chariot of Victory as great as I think it is? Because it seems pretty great.
    It's Helm of Kaldra with an equip cost of 1 less.

Given the amount I'm spending on these Wastelands, and what I sold to get them, I'd like to get them checked out to make sure they're legit. Anybody have any good ideas for where I'd go to do this?
    Last edited by Mystic Muse; 2014-04-19 at 03:00 AM.

25. - Top - End - #235
    Barbarian in the Playground

Chariot of Victory is going to be great fun in Limited, especially at Uncommon rarity. Maybe even in certain Constructed matchups. Just the thing to break through a stalemate.

Deserter's Quarters... eh. Maybe in Limited, but I'm not so sure. Maybe if you have absolutely no removal otherwise.

I kinda like the enchantments-with-flash cycle, not sure if some of those are newly revealed or if I just missed them. Dictate of Erebos is a fun surprise to spring just before chump blocking, Dictate of the Twin Gods is something fun to play after blockers have been assigned... Dictate of Kruphix and Dictate of Karametra have symmetrical effects but you can play them at the end of your opponent's turn which is pretty cool. They're probably too expensive for Constructed, though. Ah well.

26. - Top - End - #236
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Landis963 View Post
    EDIT: Also, Deserter's Quarters has horrifying art. "One night in X room" always sounds bad enough, but then you look at the art and it's a metal bull that has a pyre under it. With an already screaming deserter being pushed in. eeech.
    Which makes it really weird that it has a freezing ability and not a killing one. Bronze bulls are not known for being nonlethal.

27. - Top - End - #237
    Ogre in the Playground

If I read the spoilers correctly, all colors have a mono colored mythic except green. Did they just count Ajani as the green mythic?
    Show

28. - Top - End - #238
    Troll in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Which makes it really weird that it has a freezing ability and not a killing one. Bronze bulls are not known for being nonlethal.
    I'm guessing "destroy target creature that didn't block this turn" was too strange an ability, or too Red-White to be put on an artifact. Also, it's not necessarily lethal; sure the burns will make your quality of life very poor afterward, esp. with an "Ancient Greek + magic" level of health care, but the bull in-and-of itself isn't a death sentence. Per se. What is guaranteed to happen when one person is put in that bull, is that he's not coming out until someone on the outside pops that panel.

29. - Top - End - #239
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Khay View Post
    A good idea, but I always feel bad about playing decks I haven't built myself. If I was buying a pre-built deck, it'd likely only be to take it apart for supplies; copy-pasting someone else's deck list is just not something I'm comfortable with. (Needless to say, I never did well at Constructed tournaments. ) I'm gonna look at Top and Go Productions for pointers, though. And cheers! Must be a pretty cool deck if they're featuring it.
    At the very least, you can look at their videos to get a good idea of some budget options for effects that tend to be more expensive monetarily.
    Thanks to araveugnitsuga for my Pika-tar!
    PTU: Alyssa OOC IC

30. - Top - End - #240
    Ogre in the Playground

Does anyone know when real spoilers for conspiracy come out? I can't wait.
    Show