New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Dwarf in the Playground

DwarfClericGuy

biggrin Will Durkon be able to cast Thor's Lightning?

Ok, I think it's pretty clear I don't play D&D.

So, will Durkula be able to cast Thor's lightning? Is there any other spell in his list he won't be able to cast?

Is that a way the Order could realize he's not reaaaaaally the same old Durkon?

2. - Top - End - #2
    Pixie in the Playground

NinjaGuy

Default Re: Will Durkon be able to cast Thor's Lightning?

Boo
    No
    Yes
    Am A:

Chaotic Neutral Human Ranger/Wizard (1st/1st Level)

Ability Scores:
    Strength- 15
    Dexterity- 13
    Constitution- 14
    Intelligence- 15
    Wisdom- 15
    Charisma- 12

3. - Top - End - #3
    Bugbear in the Playground

He'll lose access to any Good spells he could previously cast and also anything from the THOR domain.
    3DS Friend Code: 3067-5674-0852. Currently running: Emerald.

Latias, Groudon, Rayquaza, Kyogre promised to JustPlayItLoud for a shiny Gastly, Gulpin, Frogadier, and Dedenne. Regirock, Regice, Registeel up for grabs.

Spoiler: Living Shinydex Progress 31/718 Newest Shiny: Buneary
    Show
    Gen I: 9/151
    Gen II: 6/100
    Gen III: 7/135
    Gen IV: 3/107
    Gen V: 3/156
    Gen VI: 2/69

Come visit World's Finest Gaming on Tumblr or Facebook or even our Youtube channel and watch me stream!

4. - Top - End - #4
    Troll in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Turin_19 View Post

So, will Durkula be able to cast Thor's lightning? Is there any other spell in his list he won't be able to cast?

Now that Durkon is controlled by the High Priest of Hel, he loses the domains he had earlier in favor of new ones, since he has a different alignment and worships a new god. So, no, he cannot cast Thor's Lightning.

Peelee’s Lotsey

5. - Top - End - #5
    Firbolg in the Playground

Back when Durkula first rejoined the Order, we got the tail end of him explaining the changes to his magic that vamprism causes (preparing spells at dusk and not being able to spontaneously cast cure spells). He could've easily mentioned the domain change there.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Firbolg in the Playground

I don't know if they will notice. The SRD says:

A vampire cleric has access to two of the following domains: Chaos, Destruction, Evil, or Trickery.
    That can mean that it is totally normal for a cleric to lose the domains he had and gain new ones instead when he becomes a vampire, and that it may have nothing to do with who is driving the body.

"Durkon! Cast Thor's Lightning!"
    "Vampires cannae cast tha, laddie".
    "...damn, you're right. Try destruction instead."
    Quote Originally Posted by J.R.R. Tolkien, 1955
    I thought Tom Bombadil dreadful — but worse still was the announcer's preliminary remarks that Goldberry was his daughter (!), and that Willowman was an ally of Mordor (!!).

7. - Top - End - #7
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Vinyadan View Post
    I don't know if they will notice. The SRD says:

That can mean that it is totally normal for a cleric to lose the domains he had and gain new ones instead when he becomes a vampire, and that it may have nothing to do with who is driving the body.

"Durkon! Cast Thor's Lightning!"
    "Vampires cannae cast tha, laddie".
    "...damn, you're right. Try destruction instead."
    That only applies to "generic" vampire clerics, who are assumed by the SRD to be nontheistic. If a vampire cleric is theistic, presumably they draw their domains from their god just like any other cleric.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Ogre in the Playground

I doubt any of the Order are well read up enough on clerics and vampires to say "Aha! If you were a theistic vampire cleric you would have your original domains!"

Not to mention I believe your assertion is wrong by RAW. There is no statement 'this only applies to nontheistic vampires', so it applies to all vampires. I am certain that vampire Durkon is violating this rule and pulling domains from Hel in-comic (because anyone would make that house rule a thing) but that doesn't change the facts.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Kornaki View Post
    I doubt any of the Order are well read up enough on clerics and vampires to say "Aha! If you were a theistic vampire cleric you would have your original domains!"
    I agree. But this is peripheral to the point I was making.

Not to mention I believe your assertion is wrong by RAW. There is no statement 'this only applies to nontheistic vampires', so it applies to all vampires. I am certain that vampire Durkon is violating this rule and pulling domains from Hel in-comic (because anyone would make that house rule a thing) but that doesn't change the facts.
    I disagree with your interpretation, but RAW is more or less irrelevant because the Giant believes that the rule is discussing non-theistic vampires. I am as certain as you that Durkon is drawing domains from Hel at this point.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Troll in the Playground

I'm pretty sure that all vampires in RAW (and OOTS) are controlled by negative energy spirits (with perhaps a view campaign book-specific exceptions). I'm also certain the none of the members of OOTS have enough ranks in Knowledge (Religion) to know this.

That said, it pretty obvious that if Durkon is evil now (as Durkula sort of admits back in that comic) he isn't a cleric of Thor anymore (even the most cursory knowledge of D&D religion would establish that). So Durkula already admited quite that much. By helping the order back then, Durkula satisfied Roy that the vampire will continue to be helpful.
    Last edited by Reddish Mage; 2014-04-07 at 10:09 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Morty View Post
    It would have been awesome if the writers had put as much thought into it as you guys do.
    The laws of physics are not crying in a corner, they are bawling in the forums.

Thanks to half-halfling for the avatar

11. - Top - End - #11
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Reddish Mage View Post
    I'm pretty sure that all vampires in RAW (and OOTS) are controlled by negative energy spirits (with perhaps a view campaign book-specific exceptions). I'm also certain the none of the members of OOTS have enough ranks in Knowledge (Religion) to know this.

That said, it pretty obvious that if Durkon is evil now (as Durkula sort of admits back in that comic) he isn't a cleric of Thor anymore (even the most cursory knowledge of D&D religion would establish that).
    I'm not sure Thor's alignment is all that firmly established - I can't quite see a good god handing out a spell called Heat Blisters of Eternal Pain. And there are certainly D&D religions with complex relationships between alignments, gods, and who can draw what from which gods, indeed the Southern gods seem to be one in OOTS.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Ogre in the Playground

I think vampire Durkon can still cast Thor's Lightning or Thor's Might, using the power of Hel. Thor is only the inventor of these divine spells, similarly to how Bugsby has invented Bugsby's Grasping Hand, but since then, other gods (from all pantheons) have also learnt to produce lightning bolts, so probably Hel has too.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Troll in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by b_jonas View Post
    I think vampire Durkon can still cast Thor's Lightning or Thor's Might, using the power of Hel. Thor is only the inventor of these divine spells, similarly to how Bugsby has invented Bugsby's Grasping Hand, but since then, other gods (from all pantheons) have also learnt to produce lightning bolts, so probably Hel has too.
    According to the Class and Level Geekery thread, Durkon can still cast Thor's Might (or at least, a variation of it that has the same effect). I'm not sure he'd be able to cast Thor's Lightning, as it has always felt to me that this was part of a weather-related aspect of Thor, one which Hel doesn't share.

Peelee’s Lotsey

14. - Top - End - #14
    Ogre in the Playground

15. - Top - End - #15
    Colossus in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Jaxzan Proditor View Post
    According to the Class and Level Geekery thread, Durkon can still cast Thor's Might (or at least, a variation of it that has the same effect).
    The Class and Level Geekery thread makes the dodgy assumption that "Thor's Might" is nothing more and nothing less than a renamed Righteous Might.

If Thor's Might was a name for a Thor-specific version of Righteous Might rather than an actual spell unto itself, then the High Priest's new Hel's Might spell would be slightly different--in that it would grant the High Priest evil damage reduction (penetrated by a holy weapon) rather than good damage reduction. Whether the High Priest would need to blow his cover by yelling "Hel's Might!" to cast the spell is...another question.
    Last edited by Kish; 2014-04-08 at 08:08 AM.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Barbarian in the Playground

HalfOrcPirate

Thor's Lightning appears to have been a Domain spell for Durkon since Cleric's don't really get any Lighting Evocation spells, so probably not since he no longer worships Thor. Any other spells he got from that Domain would be gone too though we haven't seen any others that I can think of. "Thor's Might" was just a renamed "Righteous Might" which all Clerics can cast. Instead he now has access to some of the Domains Hel offers, which have been hinted as being the Death Domain, and Destruction Domain.

The Order is aware that his spell list has changed, but I doubt any of them have enough knowledge of religion (or ranks in the corresponding skill) to make any assumptions based on that.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tempest Stormwind
    The Stormwind Fallacy, aka the Roleplayer vs Rollplayer Fallacy
    Just because one optimizes his characters mechanically does not mean that they cannot also roleplay, and vice versa.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Kish View Post
    The Class and Level Geekery thread makes the dodgy assumption that "Thor's Might" is nothing more and nothing less than a renamed Righteous Might.

If Thor's Might was a name for a Thor-specific version of Righteous Might rather than an actual spell unto itself, then the High Priest's new Hel's Might spell would be slightly different--in that it would grant the High Priest evil damage reduction (penetrated by a holy weapon) rather than good damage reduction. Whether the High Priest would need to blow his cover by yelling "Hel's Might!" to cast the spell is...another question.
    I wouldn't call it dodgy at all. The spells are all but identical, and as near as I can tell with the information presented the only difference is the name.

If it came to that, Durkon could probably call out Righteous Might as the spell name instead of Hel's Might.

Now lightning on the other hand is almost definitely lost to him. It was either a house ruled spell, in which case we have no information on it at all, or it was a Domain spell that, like Thor's Might, is simply a renamed version of a preexisting spell (in this case one clerics do not normally get).
    “Evil is evil. Lesser, greater, middling, it's all the same. Proportions are negotiated, boundaries blurred. I'm not a pious hermit, I haven't done only good in my life. But if I'm to choose between one evil and another, then I prefer not to choose at all.”

18. - Top - End - #18

There has been no indication of what the High Priest of Hel's domains are (beyond that they probably don't include Good or Chaos). People were speculating that Vampire Durkon would have the Death and Destruction domains when they were speculating that Durkon's prophecy would be fulfilled harmlessly by his bringing those domains to the dwarven people; that is not at all the same as the comic "hinting" that the High Priest's domains are Death and Destruction (and should really be a ship that's sailed now; the High Priest's plans are obviously anything but harmless).

19. - Top - End - #19
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

There has been no indication of what the High Priest of Hel's domains are (beyond that they probably don't include Good or Chaos). People were speculating that Vampire Durkon would have the Death and Destruction domains when they were speculating that Durkon's prophecy would be fulfilled harmlessly by his bringing those domains to the dwarven people; that is not at all the same as the comic "hinting" that the High Priest's domains are Death and Destruction (and should really be a ship that's sailed now; the High Priest's plans are obviously anything but harmless).
    I think youre mistaking "harmless" with "stoppable". If the prophecy doesn't refer to the domains, then it means that regardless of what the order tries, its going to suck for the dwarves. If it refers to the domains, it means that the order and dwarves have a chance to come out of it more or less intact.
    “Evil is evil. Lesser, greater, middling, it's all the same. Proportions are negotiated, boundaries blurred. I'm not a pious hermit, I haven't done only good in my life. But if I'm to choose between one evil and another, then I prefer not to choose at all.”

20. - Top - End - #20

"...he will bring death and destruction for us all."="He will come back as a vampire with the Death and Destruction domains and briefly stand in our land before being destroyed."

...Optimistic. I cannot prove that Rich is not going to loophole the prophecy in a goofy way, but be that as it may, there are no hints as to the High Priest's domains. (Hel presumably offers the Evil domain; other than that, the domains she offers and the two domains her High Priest chose could be nearly anything. And with Rich's avowed desire not to firmly define his characters in rules, I doubt it will ever be established.)

21. - Top - End - #21
    Banned

I cannot prove that Rich is not going to loophole the prophecy in a goofy way, but be that as it may, there are no hints as to the High Priest's domains.
    How much of a stretch is it, really, to say that a "keeper of the...dead," whose hall is a nursery - apparently her pantheon's default nursery - for negative energy spirits, would grant the Death domain?

22. - Top - End - #22
    Barbarian in the Playground

GreenSorcererElf

When has Durkon cast Thor's Lightning? The last time I remember him doing lightning is strip 352 when they were in Cliffport. And that was just a mis-application of Control Weather, since that's the spell he was calling, and the one that the Archon was complaining about.
    'F' is the fire that rains from the Sky
    'U' for Uranium, BOMB!
    'N' is for No Survivors...

23. - Top - End - #23
    Troll in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by brionl View Post
    When has Durkon cast Thor's Lightning? The last time I remember him doing lightning is strip 352 when they were in Cliffport. And that was just a mis-application of Control Weather, since that's the spell he was calling, and the one that the Archon was complaining about.
    He's done several times, the most recent being here.

Peelee’s Lotsey

24. - Top - End - #24
    Ogre in the Playground

The most recent application of Thor's Lightning is actually here:
    http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0873.html

25. - Top - End - #25
    Troll in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

The most recent application of Thor's Lightning is actually here:
    http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0873.html
    Oops, I misread the post and thought we were talking about Thor's Might.

Peelee’s Lotsey

26. - Top - End - #26
    Pixie in the Playground

I don't think that'll be the way they figure him out.

He's already come clean as evil, and save for Belkar (ironically), his party is all pretty cool with that. He even explained that he's now doing the evil cleric thing in terms of spontaneous spellcasting. That is, after all, why he can't cast those spells.

So I doubt there will be I-dare-you-cast-a-Thor-spell acid test. The members of his party who don't know the ins-and-outs of being evil have already internalized his state as a character sheet abstraction.
    Last edited by providential; 2014-04-08 at 09:48 PM.

27. - Top - End - #27
    Dwarf in the Playground

PirateWench

Why couldn't the HPoH just admit that he's following Hel now?

Durkon: Hel's Might!
    Roy: Huh? don't you mean Thor's might?
    Durkon: No laddy, I'm a vampire now. Hel is my new patron deity
    Roy: Oh. Ok. Carry on.

How would that blow his cover? Roy knows that Durkon has changed a lot, now that he's a vampire. There's no need to hide the details. All that needs to remain hidden is that the HPoH is holding Durkon's soul captive, and that he does not intent to help the order at all.

28. - Top - End - #28
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Diadem View Post
    Why couldn't the HPoH just admit that he's following Hel now?

Durkon: Hel's Might!
    Roy: Huh? don't you mean Thor's might?
    Durkon: No laddy, I'm a vampire now. Hel is my new patron deity
    Roy: Oh. Ok. Carry on.

How would that blow his cover? Roy knows that Durkon has changed a lot, now that he's a vampire. There's no need to hide the details. All that needs to remain hidden is that the HPoH is holding Durkon's soul captive, and that he does not intent to help the order at all.
    the order almost certainly don't have enough ranks in Knowledge (Religion) to know something is up, but the dwarves would have enough of a stigma against vampires by virtue of being a good-aligned culture. If the order is saying "This is Durkon, the high priest of Hel" when they introduce him, the dwarves would quite probably burn him at the stake.

29. - Top - End - #29

Quote Originally Posted by Reddish Mage View Post
    I'm pretty sure that all vampires in RAW (and OOTS) are controlled by negative energy spirits.
    I think that Vampire Durkon is an exception to the usual rules that govern vampires, and that Hel created Negative Durkon's Spirit specifically to infiltrate the Order.

30. - Top - End - #30
    Troll in the Playground

Imp

Yeah, very easily. They could pull their heads out of their asses. Belkar for example already knows that it is not Durkon but a mockery of all they hold dear.
    Black text is for sarcasm, also sincerity. You'll just have to read between the lines and infer from context like an animal