New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 12 of 46 FirstFirst ... 234567891011121314151617181920212237 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #331
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: Smash Brothers 4 News - Release windows, characters, and more.

But they didn't do it that way for Brawl; there was a much higher ratio of non-clone newcomers among the unlockables (and more unlockables, despite the smaller roster), notably including Sonic and Snake, and they didn't shy away from revealing them before launch. This is the first time the unlockables have seemed like an afterthought.

2. - Top - End - #332
    Titan in the Playground

WOLF NOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!! You will be avenged!
    Revan avatar by kaptainkrutch.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cirrylius View Post
    That's how wizards beta test their new animals. If it survives Australia, it's a go. Which in hindsight explains a LOT about Australia.

3. - Top - End - #333
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Teron View Post
    But they didn't do it that way for Brawl; there was a much higher ratio of non-clone newcomers among the unlockables (and more unlockables, despite the smaller roster), notably including Sonic and Snake, and they didn't shy away from revealing them before launch. This is the first time the unlockables have seemed like an afterthought.
    Right, I'd forgotten Sonic and Snake were unlocks. Guess they decided against that for Mega Man and Pac-Man this time specifically to avoid the apparent contradiction of announcing them before release but having them be unlockable. (Again, no idea what was up with Lucina this time around. At least with Sonic and Snake you can figure they absolutely had to announce them in advance, since third-party characters were kind of a big deal, being the first time they'd ever been done. Plus Sega and Konami probably wanted them announced in advance for publicity's sake, too.)

As for clone to non-clone, there were fewer clone newcomers in Brawl period, as I mentioned before. Just Toon Link (and even then he could be seen as much as a changed Young Link as a true newcomer), while this one has Lucina and Dark Pit, and the return of Doc after being cut previously.

As for there being more unlockables in Brawl, well, good. I'm entirely happy with that one.
    Toph Pony avatar by Dirtytabs. Thanks!

"When I was ten, I read fairy tales in secret and would have been ashamed if I had been found doing so. Now that I am fifty, I read them openly. When I became a man, I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up." -C.S. Lewis

4. - Top - End - #334
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Sith_Happens View Post
    WOLF NOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!! You will be avenged!
    Yeah. If it weren't for Robin making it into the roster, I'd have ditched Smash Bros 4 upon learning this. I want my badass hardgay leatherwolf and cute and cowardly and oh so strong little psion.

5. - Top - End - #335
    Ogre in the Playground

6. - Top - End - #336
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Tectonic Robot View Post
    My understanding is that Ice Climbers were performing weirdly on the DS, though they haven't given up on adding them as DLC. We'll see how it goes.

Quote Originally Posted by Maryring View Post
    Yeah. If it weren't for Robin making it into the roster, I'd have ditched Smash Bros 4 upon learning this. I want my badass hardgay leatherwolf and cute and cowardly and oh so strong little psion.
    Huh, didn't know he was gay. I'm actually surprised that they added that into a character. Good on Nintendo then.

7. - Top - End - #337
    Ogre in the Playground

I don't think Wolf is canonically homosexual, but its a common fan interpretation of his character?

8. - Top - End - #338
    Titan in the Playground

PaladinGuy

I think it's people reading more of what they want to see into the character than is actually there. He's a villainous/anti-heroic mercenary with a space-biker getup and a fierce rivalry with Fox... I see more "The Main Man" than "hard gay" in him, personally.

9. - Top - End - #339
    Ogre in the Playground

There's nothing explicit about Wolf's orientation one way or another. But it's common and incredibly easy to read it into his character considering his general design, which is designed to show off his masculinity in every way possible.

It's also mostly transplanted from the Star Fox series itself, where Fox, Falco and Wolf are very often interpreted as gay.
    Last edited by Maryring; 2014-09-12 at 12:39 PM.

10. - Top - End - #340
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Mando Knight View Post
    I think it's people reading more of what they want to see into the character than is actually there. He's a villainous/anti-heroic mercenary with a space-biker getup and a fierce rivalry with Fox... I see more "The Main Man" than "hard gay" in him, personally.
    Ah, just the fans being weird and creepy in their fanfiction then. A little disappointing, but I'm not surprised.

11. - Top - End - #341
    Troll in the Playground

I hope there is dlc just because the character roster looks incomplete. It doesn't feel right. So my guess would be 4 characters. What does everyone think its gonna be?
    Thanks to linklele for the amazing avvy.
    Quote Originally Posted by jidasfire View Post
    On a long enough scale, every OOTS forum discussion turns into a debate about alignment, Miko, or Familicide.
    or Star Wars.
    Spoiler: Easydamus result
    Show

Neutral Good Human Paladin/Cleric (3rd/2nd Level)
    Ability Scores:
    Strength-15 Dexterity-13 Constitution-14
    Intelligence-16 Wisdom-17 Charisma-14
    Alignment: Neutral Good

12. - Top - End - #342
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Dienekes View Post
    Ah, just the fans being weird and creepy in their fanfiction then. A little disappointing, but I'm not surprised.
    Y'know, with nothing suggesting if Wolf's gay/straight/bi/whatever, your guess is as good as anybody else's. Calling somebody's idea that a character is gay "weird and creepy" is, well, pretty darn problematic.

As for the actual game itself, I only have the wii and not the current gen, but once I pick it up (so about a month or two after I finally find a job) I plan on getting it. Hopefully by that point I'll know exactly what I'm getting by that point, but so far I'm looking forward to it.
    LGBTA+itP

13. - Top - End - #343
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Eldest View Post
    Y'know, with nothing suggesting if Wolf's gay/straight/bi/whatever, your guess is as good as anybody else's. Calling somebody's idea that a character is gay "weird and creepy" is, well, pretty darn problematic.

As for the actual game itself, I only have the wii and not the current gen, but once I pick it up (so about a month or two after I finally find a job) I plan on getting it. Hopefully by that point I'll know exactly what I'm getting by that point, but so far I'm looking forward to it.
    I would think they mean it more as a weird thing to go into the characters sexuality at all. Personally I think it's unavoidably human to do so, but I can understand why the idea of taking characters that are presented as focused on things beyond sexuality and making it sexual would make people uncomfortable.
    Avatar Credit: the very talented PseudoStraw. Full image:
    Spoiler
    Show

14. - Top - End - #344
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Maryring View Post
    It's also mostly transplanted from the Star Fox series itself, where Fox, Falco and Wolf are very often interpreted as gay.
    Don't know how anyone could do that with Fox or Falco. Fox explicitly has a relationship with Krystal, and Falco is implied to have had a relationship with, or at least an attraction to, Kat. Doesn't rule out being bi I suppose, but it does rule out being gay.

Quote Originally Posted by Xondoure View Post
    I would think they mean it more as a weird thing to go into the characters sexuality at all. Personally I think it's unavoidably human to do so, but I can understand why the idea of taking characters that are presented as focused on things beyond sexuality and making it sexual would make people uncomfortable.
    Yeah, that's pretty much exactly it for me. The whole concept of shipping weirds me out in general.

Anyway, Smash. Apparently the Gamestop I've got my copy reserved at is considering doing a midnight launch tournament. I'm not sure who I'll want to play if they do - jump into somebody new for the fun of it (Palutena or Robin, most likely), or pick somebody I know to try and actually compete (probably Dedede, since Lucas was cut and Falco isn't in the starting roster).

Also, a friend of mine from work got the demo today - apparently people who had some high rank with Club Nintendo get it a week early. I got to play a few matches against a CPU. 3DS controls are going to take a little getting used to - and I'll probably customize the left trigger to be shield/dodge (it's throw by default, and you can't customize the controls in the demo). I think it's worse for me since I used Wiimote + Nunchuk controls in Brawl, though, so I haven't played Smash on a controller with a standard-style layout in a while. It did feel somewhat better playing a match as Mario, though, so it may be as much my unfamiliarity with the other characters I tried as the actual controls themselves.

Played mostly Mega Man. He's very awkward to work with. His projectiles just don't feel like they have much punch to them, even the Metal Blades. His fair and especially bair are really good, though. Dair surprised me by having a range limit despite being a projectile, which kinda sucks, since it's also got a slow startup.

Played one match with the Villager. He also seems very awkward. His fair and bair use a slingshot, and frankly seem pretty crappy. That bowling ball drop is his fsmash, and strikes me as a poor one, with its bad range. Generally I just couldn't get a handle on him.

I can also see what people were referring to about moves having a lot of recovery. Except for select moves like bairs, most definitely felt like that. That could be an issue.

"When I was ten, I read fairy tales in secret and would have been ashamed if I had been found doing so. Now that I am fifty, I read them openly. When I became a man, I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up." -C.S. Lewis

15. - Top - End - #345
    Barbarian in the Playground

I've been playing a few matches, and the computer does not know how to play as MegaMan at all. His setting on 9 is about 4/5 for the other characters and at lower levels he just sits around doing nothing. Kinda disappointing in that regard. Only 5 charas is also boring but meh. Its a demo.

16. - Top - End - #346
    Ettin in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Zevox View Post

Anyway, Smash. Apparently the Gamestop I've got my copy reserved at is considering doing a midnight launch tournament. I'm not sure who I'll want to play if they do - jump into somebody new for the fun of it (Palutena or Robin, most likely), or pick somebody I know to try and actually compete (probably Dedede, since Lucas was cut and Falco isn't in the starting roster).
    My Gamestop is doing a launch tournament (tournament happens a few hours before midnight so everyone plays/watches the tournament, then gets to get the game and go home right at midnight). Torn between going with Robin and likely getting knocked out very quickly by not knowing what I'm doing, or going with Jigglypuff to be in it to win it. Depends on if there's a prize, I guess.

17. - Top - End - #347
    Ogre in the Playground

DrowGuy

Also, a friend of mine from work got the demo today - apparently people who had some high rank with Club Nintendo get it a week early. I got to play a few matches against a CPU. 3DS controls are going to take a little getting used to - and I'll probably customize the left trigger to be shield/dodge (it's throw by default, and you can't customize the controls in the demo). I think it's worse for me since I used Wiimote + Nunchuk controls in Brawl, though, so I haven't played Smash on a controller with a standard-style layout in a while. It did feel somewhat better playing a match as Mario, though, so it may be as much my unfamiliarity with the other characters I tried as the actual controls themselves.
    So yeah, IF you had Club Nintendo Platinum last year, AND you had email notifications turned on (it's opt in, not opt out, which is normally a good thing), an email with 4 demo codes was sent out. This demo has no 30 use-limit, and is a week early.

I know people who had Platinum, but didn't have their notifications turned on (inclding my brother, who was gonna send me one of his codes since I no got platinum). The email was a one time thing, so they're SOL even though it was touted as a surprise reward for platinum rank.

Some people are paying $30 for demo codes. Which is rather silly.
    Last edited by huttj509; 2014-09-13 at 04:05 AM.

18. - Top - End - #348
    Titan in the Playground

Video of all Final Smashes.

For reference, veterans who got new Final Smashes are Luigi, Kirby, Dedede, Pit, Charizard, Lucario, Zero Suit Samus, and ROB. Also Ness, sort of - his is still PK Starstorm, but works differently.

In the extreme disappointment category, veterans who did not include Falco, Sheik, and Toon Link. Also, Lucina just has Marth's, and Doctor Mario has Mario's but with pills instead of fire. And while Dark Pit does have a different one than Pit, it's basically just a copy of Zelda and Sheik's.
    Last edited by Zevox; 2014-09-13 at 11:21 AM.

19. - Top - End - #349
    Titan in the Playground

Why would you ever change the insane glory that was Luigi's ult?

20. - Top - End - #350
    Titan in the Playground

Why would you ever change the insane glory that was Luigi's ult?
    Uh, we've known about that one for a while now. One of the pic-of-the-days revealed that he had the Poltergust now.

As for why, probably because the old one was kind of random nonsense, while the Poltergust is something that's actually fitting for him.

21. - Top - End - #351
    Bugbear in the Playground

not as sick or twisted as those creepers that ship Zelda and Link.

Sexuality and sex dont necessarily have anything to do with each other.

Tommy Pickles the 1 year old baby from Rugrats had several dates and girlfriend figures throughout the series. As did most other characters. Most stories even if not especially those made for children display the attraction between people, often because its a simple story to add. I'd think that a majority of stories, be they games, movies or TV and Book series have developing love interests. So even in storylines were romance isnt a thing characters still display their sexuality. (one example is Orihime from Bleach who loves Ichigo but the writer doesnt want to write a romance story so she continues to supress her attraction. Yet despite NEVER having a relationship, the Romantic tension is still there. And it wouldnt exist if they were not 2 people attracted to each other.)
    Part of the "Raise Nale and Let Him Serve Life in Prison" fan-club

"The only reason why people didn't like Durkon before was because he is the only member of the group that doesn't commit evil, like hurting others, or breaking the rules for giggles. I.E.' He's not cool'"

22. - Top - End - #352
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Rodin View Post
    My Gamestop is doing a launch tournament (tournament happens a few hours before midnight so everyone plays/watches the tournament, then gets to get the game and go home right at midnight). Torn between going with Robin and likely getting knocked out very quickly by not knowing what I'm doing, or going with Jigglypuff to be in it to win it. Depends on if there's a prize, I guess.
    Well, your decision might be made a bit easier by the fact that Jigglypuff won't be an option. She's one of the locked characters, and I doubt that Gamestop will have gone through the trouble of unlocking everyone in advance of the tournament.

23. - Top - End - #353
    Ettin in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Well, your decision might be made a bit easier by the fact that Jigglypuff won't be an option. She's one of the locked characters, and I doubt that Gamestop will have gone through the trouble of unlocking everyone in advance of the tournament.
    Gah, I forgot that the Puffster is always locked by tradition.

That makes trying out someone new into a near-certainty, then.

24. - Top - End - #354
    Ettin in the Playground

Am I the only one who saw how the Duck Hunt dog fought, and went, "That's totally Banjo Kazooie!"?

25. - Top - End - #355
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Rakaydos View Post
    Am I the only one who saw how the Duck Hunt dog fought, and went, "That's totally Banjo Kazooie!"?
    No. You aren't alone. They even have a have a costume with a bit of resemblance to them.

Being a mammal and a bird due with the bird on the back certainly adds to it.
    Last edited by DaOldeWolf; 2014-09-14 at 09:34 AM.
    Thanks to linklele for the amazing avvy.
    Quote Originally Posted by jidasfire View Post
    On a long enough scale, every OOTS forum discussion turns into a debate about alignment, Miko, or Familicide.
    or Star Wars.
    Spoiler: Easydamus result
    Show

Neutral Good Human Paladin/Cleric (3rd/2nd Level)
    Ability Scores:
    Strength-15 Dexterity-13 Constitution-14
    Intelligence-16 Wisdom-17 Charisma-14
    Alignment: Neutral Good

26. - Top - End - #356
    Titan in the Playground

Also, that would have been better. I really can't think of anyone who was demanding that damn dog from the Duck Hunt games to make it into SSB.

27. - Top - End - #357
    Ogre in the Playground

Also, that would have been better. I really can't think of anyone who was demanding that damn dog from the Duck Hunt games to make it into SSB.
    Nintendo doesn't own Banjo Kazooie though

Anyway, I don't think many people were clamoring for Ice Climbers or Pit either. Duck Hunt is this games retro rep.
    Last edited by Hytheter; 2014-09-14 at 09:26 AM.

28. - Top - End - #358
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Hytheter View Post
    Nintendo doesn't own Banjo Kazooie though

Anyway, I don't think many people were clamoring for Ice Climbers or Pit either. Duck Hunt is this games retro rep.
    True, but Pit was before relaunching the Kid Icarus series, and Ice Climbers weren't actively hated. Unlike that damn dog. That said, if all of his taunts are not laughing at the camera they will have missed an opportunity to get everyone not playing the character to rage.
    Last edited by Dienekes; 2014-09-14 at 09:59 AM.

29. - Top - End - #359
    Ogre in the Playground

True, but Pit was before relaunching the Kid Icarus series
    Pretty sure Uprising was because of Pit's presence in Brawl, not the other way around.

Anyway, I've seen lots of requests for DHD, for the very reason you put forward:
    They hate him. And they'd love a chance to beat the snot out of him.
    (they won't though, Duck Hunt too strong)
    Last edited by Hytheter; 2014-09-14 at 10:24 AM.

30. - Top - End - #360
    Titan in the Playground

I don't see it. The only vague resemblance is when the Duck kinda carries the Dog through the air for a bit.