New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 5 of 46 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141530 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #121
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Smash Brothers 4 News - Release windows, characters, and more.

Quote Originally Posted by Zevox View Post

Edit: Apparently it's been revealed that all of those moves Palutena sounded off in her trailer are special moves, and like the Miis she gets to pick between three for each slot. Pretty interesting. Speculation as to which go to which slot:
    This has me wondering if all the characters have customizable special moves to pick from. I thought it was neat on the mii's but if a normal character like Palutena is also customizable maybe all of them will be.
    Last edited by cobaltstarfire; 2014-06-11 at 08:56 AM.

2. - Top - End - #122
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by cobaltstarfire View Post
    This has me wondering if all the characters have customizable special moves to pick from. I thought it was neat on the mii's but if a normal character like Palutena is also customizable maybe all of them will be.
    Nintendo has already said that every character will have a custom moveset. I just don't know if they'll all have three moves per slot or not.
    Grand avatar by the grand Oneris.
    Spoiler: Awesome Quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by obryn View Post
    Oh no! My evil plot to talk about elfgames and my having of an unacceptable opinion has been uncovered!
    Quote Originally Posted by Beowulf DW View Post
    Play nice, boys.
    Quote Originally Posted by Candle Jack View Post
    The Warden communicates through a complicated language of subtle body movements and flatulence. With a single flutter of their eyelashes and a well-timed fart, the Warden can recite a 16-stanza poem about nugs.
    Devout Omnian in the playground

3. - Top - End - #123
    Ogre in the Playground

I remember them saying that there would be customizability, I guess I just assumed it to be a special game mode or something.

4. - Top - End - #124
    Titan in the Playground

If you can customize your character's moveset, hopefully they have some default versions for quick play. Also, that'd be a really clever use of the WiiU pad: pick your moves in secret!

If it works like that, it'd lead to a really interesting meta-spin on the fighting. You'd have to spend the opening of the fight figuring out what your opponent has slotted, while you're trying to surprise them with what you have slotted.
    Ludicrus Gaming: on games and story
    Quote Originally Posted by Saph
    Unless everyone's been lying to me and the next bunch of episodes are The Great Divide II, The Great Divide III, Return to the Great Divide, and Bride of the Great Divide, in which case I hate you all and I'm never touching Avatar again.

5. - Top - End - #125
    Titan in the Playground

They've never elaborated on how the customizability will work. It's possible this is it, or it could be something they did just for Miis and Palutena. Miis because customizability is what they're all about, Palutena I'd presume because she's a goddess, and so they had a lot of ideas for moves for her, since magic is kinda flexible that way.

An aside, something I just noticed last night: Pac-Man's eyes are shaped like Pac-Men. It's both a kinda cool touch and kinda creepy.
    Toph Pony avatar by Dirtytabs. Thanks!

"When I was ten, I read fairy tales in secret and would have been ashamed if I had been found doing so. Now that I am fifty, I read them openly. When I became a man, I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up." -C.S. Lewis

6. - Top - End - #126
    Orc in the Playground

At the very least Mario, Miis, and Palutena will be customizable.
    Show
    Oh no! My evil plot to talk about elfgames and my having of an unacceptable opinion has been uncovered!
    Play nice, boys.
    The Warden communicates through a complicated language of subtle body movements and flatulence. With a single flutter of their eyelashes and a well-timed fart, the Warden can recite a 16-stanza poem about nugs.

7. - Top - End - #127
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by StabbityRabbit View Post
    At the very least Mario, Miis, and Palutena will be customizable.
    Everyone is customizable. When it was first shown off in the Smash Bros Direct, DK and Kirby alternative moves were shown.
    you know that I'm more than just a doll do you?-Geno
    Add me on Steam!
    Spoiler
    Show
    by Thecrimsonmage and By Shades of Gray by Akrim.elf

and current made by me.

8. - Top - End - #128
    Ettin in the Playground

But what are Palutena's standard moves? What will she use in online matches?
    The name is "tonberrian", even when it begins a sentence. It's magic, I ain't gotta 'splain why.

9. - Top - End - #129
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by CarpeGuitarrem View Post
    If it works like that, it'd lead to a really interesting meta-spin on the fighting. You'd have to spend the opening of the fight figuring out what your opponent has slotted, while you're trying to surprise them with what you have slotted.
    Not to mention if tournaments end up deciding to let people switch move sets between rounds of a best-two-out-of-three. Go go gadget sideboarding!
    Revan avatar by kaptainkrutch.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cirrylius View Post
    That's how wizards beta test their new animals. If it survives Australia, it's a go. Which in hindsight explains a LOT about Australia.

10. - Top - End - #130
    Titan in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Customizability can be disabled locally, too, by the looks of it.

We'll see if Mii Fighters and Palutena come with "standard" forms for no-customization play (though they confirmed that "With Anyone" online play will disable the Mii Fighter).

11. - Top - End - #131
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Mando Knight View Post
    Customizability can be disabled locally, too, by the looks of it.

We'll see if Mii Fighters and Palutena come with "standard" forms for no-customization play (though they confirmed that "With Anyone" online play will disable the Mii Fighter).
    As in not allow you to play the character entirely? That's incredibly stupid. And here I was hoping Nintendo would do better with the online than in Brawl, but between keeping the "With Friends" vs "With Anyone" distinction and that, it's sounding like they haven't learned a damn thing.

"When I was ten, I read fairy tales in secret and would have been ashamed if I had been found doing so. Now that I am fifty, I read them openly. When I became a man, I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up." -C.S. Lewis

12. - Top - End - #132
    Ogre in the Playground

It is rather disappointing to hear those sorts of things will be disabled online and such.

I can understand disabling special items at least, but customization and mii's should be allowable online and such. I'm going to guess the mii's being disallowed is to prevent lude mii's online, Nintendo has always been hyper sensitive to that sort of thing I guess because they have built such a strong reputation as a family/kid friendly company specifically.

13. - Top - End - #133
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by cobaltstarfire View Post
    It is rather disappointing to hear those sorts of things will be disabled online and such.

I can understand disabling special items at least, but customization and mii's should be allowable online and such. I'm going to guess the mii's being disallowed is to prevent lude mii's online, Nintendo has always been hyper sensitive to that sort of thing I guess because they have built such a strong reputation as a family/kid friendly company specifically.
    It's possible to make "lewd" Miis?

14. - Top - End - #134
    Titan in the Playground

PaladinGuy

It's possible to make "lewd" Miis?
    ...Have you seen some of the Miis out there? As the potential for creativity increases, the probability that someone will misuse it for obscenities approaches unity.

15. - Top - End - #135
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Mando Knight View Post
    ...Have you seen some of the Miis out there?
    No, I haven't. But from the (admittedly extremely small) amount of time I spent on making my Mii, I don't recall anything that could be used in such a fashion. And given this is Nintendo, I wouldn't expect there to be such options.
    Last edited by Zevox; 2014-06-11 at 03:40 PM.

16. - Top - End - #136
    Titan in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Well, in short, there's two kinds of Miis: those that are made to look like normal-ish people, and those that use pieces in different positions and colors to turn the Mii's face into their canvas. The obscene ones are in the latter category.

(Of course, there's those that are kinda both: using the features to make various characters, like Dilbert or Homer Simpson...)
    Last edited by Mando Knight; 2014-06-11 at 03:48 PM.

17. - Top - End - #137
    Titan in the Playground

Aren't Miis playable in Mario Kart?

Unless I'm mistaken about that, I really can't see why it makes sense to bar them from Smash Bros.

18. - Top - End - #138
    Orc in the Playground

So it looks like DK's final smash is still awful.
    Show
    Play nice, boys.

19. - Top - End - #139
    Barbarian in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by TheSummoner View Post
    Aren't Miis playable in Mario Kart?

Unless I'm mistaken about that, I really can't see why it makes sense to bar them from Smash Bros.
    Yeah, they're playable in Mario Kart, I think they have been since the Wii version.

20. - Top - End - #140
    Titan in the Playground

No, I haven't. But from the (admittedly extremely small) amount of time I spent on making my Mii, I don't recall anything that could be used in such a fashion. And given this is Nintendo, I wouldn't expect there to be such options.
    I've seen some remarkably inventive Miis out there. One of them had the Olympic Rings on their face, instead of a normal face. Another one looked like Batman in the mask. Another one had a ninja with swords for a face. I've seen a Mii with the Mona Lisa for a face.

EDIT: Found a lot of 'em here
    Last edited by CarpeGuitarrem; 2014-06-11 at 04:38 PM.
    Ludicrus Gaming: on games and story
    Quote Originally Posted by Saph
    Unless everyone's been lying to me and the next bunch of episodes are The Great Divide II, The Great Divide III, Return to the Great Divide, and Bride of the Great Divide, in which case I hate you all and I'm never touching Avatar again.

21. - Top - End - #141
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by CarpeGuitarrem View Post
    I've seen some remarkably inventive Miis out there. One of them had the Olympic Rings on their face, instead of a normal face. Another one looked like Batman in the mask. Another one had a ninja with swords for a face. I've seen a Mii with the Mona Lisa for a face.

EDIT: Found a lot of 'em here
    ...huh. Did not know such things were possible.

Still, if as others have said they've already enabled Miis for online play in other games, I see no excuse here. It's just plain a stupid restriction, no matter their excuse. Much like the entire "With Friends" vs "With Anyone" thing to begin with.

22. - Top - End - #142
    Titan in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by StabbityRabbit View Post
    So it looks like DK's final smash is still awful.
    They just showed it in the Treehouse, and it looks a lot more usable: there's now a visual representation of the timing, in the form of the Donkey Konga note highway. Once you get the rhythm down, the bongos are really strong.

23. - Top - End - #143
    Titan in the Playground

Hm, so, interesting thing I'm hearing. Apparently, people who have played the game at the Best Buy demos are saying that Pit does not have a black alternate color scheme like he did in Brawl. Which is very curious, since that would make him look like Dark Pit, and should therefore be an obvious choice.

But put that together with the ending of Palutena's trailer, and it begs the question: could Dark Pit be a newcomer?

I honestly wouldn't have expected it, but that combination of facts does make it seem like a possibility. And honestly, I might even like it. He could use a variety of the weapons from Kid Icarus: Uprising, which would make for an awesome moveset that would be so different from Pit's that nobody could call him a clone.

24. - Top - End - #144
    Titan in the Playground

I really doubt it.

The simpler explanation is they just haven't finished it yet or didn't include it in the demo version for whatever reason. It's possible Dark Pit will have some additional effects beyond being a simple color swap that would make that skin take more time, and cosmetic stuff is probably pretty low on their list of priorities at the moment.

25. - Top - End - #145
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Rotting Baron View Post
    Yeah, they're playable in Mario Kart, I think they have been since the Wii version.
    That is true, I have a literal army of Mii's living on my Wii, and they're all from playing Mario Kart online. I'd forgotten about that...

So I'm really stumped on why no Mii's in smash online, it's about the only (good) reason I can think of that they would be banned anyway. Maybe there's some sort of weird technical reason for it.

Which is a pity cause I actually am a little bit interested in the Mii fighters, I didn't think I would be but the longer I saw them the more intrigued I got.

I'll just cross my fingers that Yoshi will be a little bit more like his melee/ssb versions, Brawl yoshi always handled a little oddly to me.

26. - Top - End - #146
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by TheSummoner View Post
    I really doubt it.

The simpler explanation is they just haven't finished it yet or didn't include it in the demo version for whatever reason. It's possible Dark Pit will have some additional effects beyond being a simple color swap that would make that skin take more time, and cosmetic stuff is probably pretty low on their list of priorities at the moment.
    What additional effects? Even in Uprising, he's literally just a pallet swap of Pit. Like Daisy and Peach, there's nothing more that needs to be done unless he's a separate character.

27. - Top - End - #147
    Barbarian in the Playground

I'm pretty excited about the Palutena reveal. I'm glad to know at least some of the speculation was correct!

What additional effects? Even in Uprising, he's literally just a pallet swap of Pit. Like Daisy and Peach, there's nothing more that needs to be done unless he's a separate character.
    Alternatively, Dark Pit could be an assist trophy, in which case they might not make the pallet swap available for Pit in order to avoid confusion.

28. - Top - End - #148
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Fargazer View Post
    Alternatively, Dark Pit could be an assist trophy, in which case they might not make the pallet swap available for Pit in order to avoid confusion.
    Hm, maybe. Not sure how important they'd consider that to be, but I suppose it's possible. Still, the way they have him show up for a brief, seemingly-meaningless cameo at the end of Palutena's trailer was odd, and the combination of that and the disappearance of Pit's black alt is definitely suspicious.

29. - Top - End - #149
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

How many additional characters do you think will make it into the game? I'm banking on at least four more newcomers and two more oldies, but that would only be 39 total which just makes it equal in roster size to Brawl...
    Quote Originally Posted by Dragonprime View Post
    AT, I esteem you above all other men now.

30. - Top - End - #150
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by AtlanteanTroll View Post
    How many additional characters do you think will make it into the game? I'm banking on at least four more newcomers and two more oldies, but that would only be 39 total which just makes it equal in roster size to Brawl...
    I'd expect most of the old cast are still in. I mean hell, they didn't even cut Toon Link. And they'd have to be idiots to remove characters like Captain Falcon, Ness, Ganondorf, or Wario, all of whom are still unannounced. Plus Game & Watch showed up at the end of Pac-Man's trailer. Really, the only veterans I'd worry about are Squirtle and Ivysaur (since transformations are gone and Charizard was announced without them) and Snake. Maybe Lucas and one of the Star Fox characters, though with a new Star Fox game announced I'm now less worried about them.

For newcomers, well as I said, the big leak is looking pretty strong after yesterday, and if that's right there's at least three more: Chrom from Fire Emblem, Shulk from Xenoblade, and the Chorus Men from Rythm Heaven. But that is "at least," as the leak does not claim to be a complete list - and indeed did not include Rosalina (although only one of the leak's two parts had been posted when she was announced, too).