New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Pixie in the Playground

Default How much multiclass is too much multiclass? A build help.

I want this character to take at least three levels of swashbuckler and I am undecided on how many levels of wizard. I want this guy to keep his wizardry secret and do a little bit of everything sneaking, frontline fighting, utility casting, and be useful in RP situations. I know this sounds like a bard but I don't like the feel of playing instruments. The character background has him being an on the run noble with a unique fighting style and plenty of experience in political intrigue.

The stats in no particular order are:

What other classes(prestige or otherwise), feats, or completely different build ideas would fit this?

Thanks

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ogre in the Playground

SolithKnightGuy

Default Re: How much multiclass is too much multiclass? A build help.

So you want to play a bard that doesn't sing?

Beguiler with levels in Unseen Seer will probably work nicely.

Duskblade can also work.
    Last edited by HunterOfJello; 2014-04-10 at 09:21 PM.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Titan in the Playground

I know this sounds like a bard but I don't like the feel of playing instruments.
    So don't play instruments. A bard needs a perform skill, but you can just use dance (which you incorporate into your fighting style), or oratory (to give inspiring speeches), or comedy (which takes a rather slapstick turn sometimes), or whatever other style of performance you prefer. All you're missing out on by not playing an instrument is an easy +2 from masterwork, but +2 isn't that big a deal. Meanwhile, it also means you can free up your hands.
    Time travels in divers paces with divers persons.
    As You Like It, III:ii:328

Chronos's Unalliterative Skillmonkey Guide
    Current Homebrew: 5th edition psionics

4. - Top - End - #4
    Pixie in the Playground

Yeah that makes good sense as well. But I'd really like to have more spells. And be mostly Int. based.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ogre in the Playground

SolithKnightGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Machadawg View Post
    Yeah that makes good sense as well. But I'd really like to have more spells. And be mostly Int. based.
    I've always thought that the idea of a Bard who uses the Perform (Weapondrill) skill as a modified form of taichi could be really cool. You move through the movements of practicing fighting while actually fighting.

There are prestige classes for bard that improve their number of spells know and spells per day. The two I would go with are Lyric Thaumaturge from Compelte Mage and later Sublime Chord from Complete Arcane. Once you've taken the Melodic Casting feat you can both sing and cast spells at the same time which will help a lot.

Bards also have access to some amazing wands from the bard spell list. If you make use of all your available tools as a bard, then you can really go far.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Bugbear in the Playground

So... A Swashbuckler3/Bardic Sage (UA Variant) with Perform (Comedy) or Perform (Pun) and fluffing his Inspire Courage as whipping out Elan-style puns mid-combat?
    My homebrew

Quote Originally Posted by Waker View Post
    This is the Playground. We're a repository of D&D Knowledge. Kinda like the Library of Congress, but with more screaming about RAW vs. RAI.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Machadawg View Post
    You won't really have more spells in a meaningful sense until the later levels, though. A Swashbuckler 3/Wizard X has first level spells when a Bard has second level spells, second level spells when a Bard has third level spells, and finally catches up when the Bard gets fourth level spells at 10th level, halfway through the game. And if the Bard takes the right prestige class (Sublime Chord), then they have the advantage after that as well.

Now, if you just want your character to be Int-based, that's fine. Honestly, Swashbuckler isn't the best choice for a melee Wizard, but a Swashbuckler 3/Wizard 4/Abjurant Champion 5 is still a fine character.
    Lord Raziere herd I like Blasphemy, so Urpriest Exalted as a Malefactor

Meet My Monstrous Guide to Monsters. Everything you absolutely need to know about Monsters and never thought you needed to ask.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mithril Leaf View Post
    One of the unwritten rules of Giantitp is that Urpriest is always right.
    Trophy!
    Spoiler
    Show

original Urpriest (by Andraste)

8. - Top - End - #8
    Troll in the Playground

Factotum 3/Swashbuckler 3/Chameleon 10/Something 4 (Either more Factotum, Warblade, or Swordsage), Swashbuckler 3/Factotum 17, or just straight Factotum 20 might be good options. If you really don't want to go Factotum, then maybe Changeling Rogue 3-4/Swashbuckler 3-4/Chameleon 10/Whatever with Daring Outlaw and maybe the seduction thing for Swashbucklers from this dead levels article.

Iron Chef Medals
    Spoiler
    Show
    Sir Driscoll Conia - Silver - IC L

Nick Snarespan - Gold - IC LIII

Lucy "Legs" Silvertail - Bronze - IC LXVIII

Bolfarg of Knoss - Gold - IC LXXVII

Ivarr Deathborn - Bronze - IC LXXVII

Ahmtel - Silver - IC LXXVIII

Tocke of Nessus - Gold - IC LXXIX

The Blessed Third - Silver - IC LXXXI

Galahad Galapagos - Gold - IC LXXXIV