New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Pixie in the Playground

Default PrC 9/10 affects multiclass casting?

I'm not sure what to search for with this mechanic.

If I have a lvl 10 human (Cleric 5/Druid 5) and I take a PrC like Bone Knight up to 20 that receives 9/10 casting progression from BK does this mean I now have access to spells as a lvl 14 cleric and 14 druid?

I understand for a single multiclass. E.g. Cleric 10/Bone Knight 10 would be cleric casting level 19. I can't recall ever seeing anything about how that affects your multiclasses.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: PrC 9/10 affects multiclass casting?

I don't have Five Nations, but I'm pretty sure if you read the description of the advancement of the casting, it says you pick one class (often one divine or one arcane) to advance. So no. You'd have 9 advancements you could give to the two classes as you saw fit.
    Last edited by hymer; 2014-04-15 at 10:49 AM.
    My D&D 5th ed. Druid Handbook

3. - Top - End - #3
    Titan in the Playground

For Bone Knight, the answer is no. In most prestige classes, there's a tag similar to this: "If you had more than one divine spellcasting class before becoming a bone knight, you must decide to which class to add each level for the purpose of determining spells per day, caster level, and spells known." So you don't get advancement in both, you have to pick one or the other. You could have Cleric14/Druid5, Cleric5/Druid14, or anything in between that. (Cleric10/Druid9, Cleric7/Druid12, or whatever).

There are a few Prestige Classes that are exceptions. Things like Mystic Theurge and Arcane Hierophant advance more than one level of spellcasting. But those always specifically call it out; the "Spellcasting" column will always have two entries listed.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Pixie in the Playground

Thanks much. I don't have a lot of the source books so things like this slide by.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Titan in the Playground

And even with the prestige classes specifically designed for it, multiclassing between casting classes tends to be on the weak side compared with staying with one full-time (either the class itself, or PrCs that advance it completely). Getting to tenth level as a cleric 5/druid 5 with no PrCs would leave you overwhelmingly underpowered.
    Time travels in divers paces with divers persons.
    As You Like It, III:ii:328

Chronos's Unalliterative Skillmonkey Guide
    Current Homebrew: 5th edition psionics

6. - Top - End - #6
    Barbarian in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Quote Originally Posted by Chronos View Post
    And even with the prestige classes specifically designed for it, multiclassing between casting classes tends to be on the weak side compared with staying with one full-time (either the class itself, or PrCs that advance it completely). Getting to tenth level as a cleric 5/druid 5 with no PrCs would leave you overwhelmingly underpowered.
    I think you'd be right if Druid and Cleric weren't already overpowered. But that's not terribly on-topic, as this was a rules question rather than an optimization one.
    ~Sig~ The more I optimize in 3.5, the less I enjoy the game. Yet as hard as I try to avoid it, the optimizer mindset keeps slipping back into my thoughts. I will probably quit playing Dungeons and Dragons in the near future if I can't fix my predicament.