New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 16 of 50 FirstFirst ... 6789101112131415161718192021222324252641 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #451
    Firbolg in the Playground

BlackDragon

Default Re: [WFRP] The Bloody Crown III

Adelbert Schreiber

Adelbert looked very unhappy but said noting and retired to take a nap of his own.

2. - Top - End - #452
    Titan in the Playground

Festag 31st Jahrdrung

Dawn broke slowly over the exhausted party, scattered over the barren ground like the leavings of a battle. Though they tried their best to get some rest, the ascending sun soon made the day too bright to sleep in the open.

With at least some feeling returning to their weary limbs, they rose again to face the new day.
    Spoiler: My Games
    Show

WFRP 2E - Tales of Perilous Adventure
    The Hour After Midnight
    The Lord of Lost Heart
    Ill Met By Morrslieb

Dark Heresy 1E - Wake of the Byzantium
    Episodes: I, II, III, IV, V

WFRP 2E - The Bloody Crown
    Threads: I, II, III, IV, V, VI, VII, VIII, IX, X

3. - Top - End - #453

BlackDragon

Adelbert Schreiber

Adelbert struggled to his feet and checked his pack. Assuming everything looked okay he breakfasted on dry rations then began moving in the direction of Mirano.

4. - Top - End - #454
    Titan in the Playground

Sieghard

The dead men hadn't found them in the night. Sieghard chose to focus on that thought as a way to try to block out the aching in his limbs... It wasn't working as well as he would've liked.

As they walked, he tried to match his pace to Elsa's. So, about last night... He opened his mouth to speak, but the words died in his throat. Perhaps it had been a one-time thing... Some impulse had come over her and he had reacted without thinking. He knew Elsa well enough that he didn't actually believe that, but it was easier than actually talking about it. Instead, he made sure Cesar wasn't paying attention and asked something entirely unrelated.

"I doubt there's any way out of this without Sforza finding out. Not if your friend has a say in it anyways. Have you thought about what you're going to tell him?"
    Last edited by TheSummoner; 2014-07-12 at 11:37 AM.

5. - Top - End - #455
    Titan in the Playground

Elsa

Though still exhausted, Elsabeth wanted to get moving; there was no way to be sure they still weren't being chased, and if Unpronounceable sent his undead minions in all directions, one of them was bound to find them and report to the others. Careful not to be seen or heard by Cesar, she discreetly transferred a handful of gold coins from her pack to her purse, in case she later had to abandon her pack or give it all to the authorities of Mirino.

Spoiler
    Show
    (4d3)[9] coins transferred this way.

She took a small gulp from her waterskin, resisting with all of her will the urge to drain it all. There would be plenty to drink in Mirino, but they first had to get there.

"I just had a cheery thought," Elsa drawled as they all strapped their packs on. "If I was the one leading the skeletons and had lost the people I was chasing, I'd have my skeletons watch the road to Mirino. So keep an eye out, eh?"

During the walk, she looked more than a little nervous as Sieghard approached her to talk in private. She resolutely avoided to meet his gaze. When Sieghard spoke, however, a wave of relief washed over her.

Thank Sigmar, I thought this was going to be about the kiss.

"I'll tell Sforza the truth," Elsa answered. "At least, the need-to-know part of the truth. I know the rest of you don't like it, Adelbert especially. But Cesar's already angry with me... and even if he weren't, I really couldn't vouch for his silence. Plus, the gold we left in the ruins might be the only way to keep my standing. To buy Sforza's forgiveness for disobeying him, if you will." She pursed her lips. "I've already sworn to Cesar that I'd hand over the contents of my pack, as reparations for leading Orfeo to his death. All of my share. I'll try to leave the rest of you out of the story, but if it comes up, you'd better hide or spend your gold quickly... in case Sforza gets greedy."

OOC
    Spoiler
    Show
    Is Adelbert carrying his own pack? If he does, the whole party moves at M3. If Elsa carries it, we can all move at M4, since she has a natural Movement of 5.
    Last edited by -Sentinel-; 2014-07-12 at 11:58 AM.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Running:
    Voyages of the Ghostlight (Risus)

Playing:
    The Bloody Crown (WFRP) as Elsabeth Holt, rogue pyromancer and court wizard

Quote Originally Posted by TheSummoner View Post
    Oh wow. I will never again underestimate [our characters'] ability to turn friendly conversation into a possible life or death situation.
    Quote Originally Posted by LeSwordfish View Post
    Ludo has a crowbar, if that helps.

6. - Top - End - #456
    Titan in the Playground

Sieghard

Sieghard smirked. "I had already planned on it. If the captain wants my gold, there's not much I can do to stop him from taking it, but I'll be keeping as much as I can."

He checked again to make sure Cesar wasn't listening before continuing. "Maybe Sforza doesn't have to know you disobeyed him. I don't think you can keep the stuff about the ruins secret, but maybe you could tell him in a way that makes it sound like you were looking out for his interests. If you told him you only went into the ruins because when you got close, you could tell there was magic at work, could he or Cesar could say otherwise?"
    Last edited by TheSummoner; 2014-07-12 at 12:21 PM.

7. - Top - End - #457
    Titan in the Playground

Elsa nodded slowly. "That is an option. He'll certainly need to know about the book that was stolen from the ruins. When he learns we have a supernatural enemy, he'll want to keep me around for sure."
    Spoiler
    Show
    Running:

Playing:

Oh wow. I will never again underestimate [our characters'] ability to turn friendly conversation into a possible life or death situation.

8. - Top - End - #458
    Titan in the Playground

Sieghard

"If he'd believe it, better for him to think you were overeager and took on more than you could handle than thinking you disobeyed him. You'd still need to think of a reason why the rest of us were with you, but it's a start."

9. - Top - End - #459
    Titan in the Playground

"Yes. If I can get through my report to the Captain without even mentioning you, I'll be satisfied. Remains to be seen if Cesar will want to offer his own report... Thing is, I'm not a very good liar," admitted Elsa. "I can tell half-truths, if I have time to think them over, but not lies. Sometimes though, a half-truth is even better than a lie."
    Spoiler
    Show
    Running:

Playing:

10. - Top - End - #460

BlackDragon

Adelbert Schreiber

Adelbert, who had been listening in, expression worried cleared his throat. After checking Cesar wasn't in earshot he said: "If you think Sforza will demand our gold then perhaps I should steer clear of Mirano altogether, at least for the time being. I could lie low in Sermena and return in a week or two after I've healed and found time to hide my money. I can understand your position Elsa... but this more gold than I've ever had in my life. Why return at all if the Captain will rob me?"
    Last edited by RossN; 2014-07-12 at 01:23 PM.

11. - Top - End - #461
    Titan in the Playground

Elsa shrugged. "Might be wise. I can't predict what the Captain will do, but if he wants your gold, I won't help him get it. But given your contacts with the court as a scribe, you're not exactly beneath notice, are you?"

She paused.

"And it's Mirino, not Mirano."
    Spoiler
    Show
    Running:

Playing:

12. - Top - End - #462

BlackDragon

Adelbert Schreiber

Adelbert nodded unhappily. Secretly he might have been hoping for some reassurance but it seemed that was not going to happen.

"Well then... I guess I'll slip away at the first opportunity. Er, if any of you have any rations I'd appreciate them. I... well I guess I'll miss the fesitival. Oh and there is a local boy named Kaja I was meant to take on as an apprentice. Give him some money and tell him I'll be back in a week if I can help it. If anyone asks say I went on a mission to Caerfort and will be back soon... oh and, um, there is some gold hidden in my loft beneath an old floorboard. Take what you need to give something to Kaja and pay my rent. Gods willing I'll see you again soon."

13. - Top - End - #463
    Titan in the Playground

Sieghard

Sieghard raised an eyebrow. "What about Aisha? Might not be easy to convince Krucke to keep letting her use your loft. Especially if you aren't around to do the talking."

14. - Top - End - #464

BlackDragon

Adelbert Schreiber

Adelbert blinked. Truthfully he'd forgotten Aisha.

"She'll have to fend for herself." Adelbert admitted, expression guilty. "You're right Krucke will kick her out, but she'll have had had time to think of her next move. I... I can't do anything more for her without being there."

15. - Top - End - #465
    Titan in the Playground

Sieghard

"If she was in any position to do that, she wouldn't be sleeping in your bed right now," Sieghard replied, tone unchanged. "Ludo mentioned something about finding her work at the Chalice. If we're lucky, Marek will take a liking to her and she'll be able to sleep there. If not, I can pay for her to stay there for a few nights, but we'll need to see to finding something more permanent for her soon."

16. - Top - End - #466

BlackDragon

Adelbert Schreiber

"To Morr with Aisha!"
    Adelbert said, suddenly tired. "I'm sorry Sieghard but she really isn't my problem and to be honest she isn't yours either. I let her stay at my place but the situation has changed. Maybe it's heartless of me but she isn't my lover or even my friend."

17. - Top - End - #467
    Titan in the Playground

Sieghard

"If you don't want to help her then you shouldn'tve involved yourself in the first place," Sieghard said, scowling. He lowered his voice again. Even as angry as he was, he wasn't going to be the one to blame if Cesar overheard Adelbert's plans and spoiled them. "Go ahead. Hide in Sermena. I'll handle things without you."
    Last edited by TheSummoner; 2014-07-14 at 06:41 PM.

18. - Top - End - #468

BlackDragon

Adelbert Schreiber

Adelbert looked angry and upset by this but said nothing. He had a much longer journey than the others and had to conserve his strength.

19. - Top - End - #469
    Titan in the Playground

By noon, they had reached the foot of the pass. Their packs made the uphill slog to Mirino into a painful ordeal. Less than halfway up, Adelbert had to stop for an extended rest, wiping sweat from his reddened face.

They were nearly at the palace when the scribe slipped away from the group and into the rocks. Up at the head of the column, Cesar didn't notice him go. It was only after they had walked a way and he glanced back that he noticed Adelbert's absence.

"Hey," he said, calling up to Elsa. "Where did your friend go?"

Adelbert

Spoiler
    Show
    Scrambling over loose scree into the shade of a concealing boulder, Adelbert watched the group move on without him. Taking a moment or two to catch his breath and ensure that Cesar was not trying to trick him, he headed up and away from the road.

The sharp black rocks of the ridgeline cut his hands, scraping his palms and knees as he pulled himself up through the jagged crags. More than once the dry gravel gave way under his feet, but he managed to keep his footing, pulling himself onward step after after step until he reached the crest. Its inhabitants might be a pack of bucolic peasants, but Sforza had definitely chosen his military position well in the crater basin of Last Water.

Hauling himself to the top of a reasonably flat rock, he found himself looking down on the interior. Off to his left, he could see the short sprawl of Mirino, straggling downslope. Ahead, the circle of green country beckoned, encircled by its jagged hills.
    Last edited by LCP; 2014-07-14 at 03:57 PM.
    Show

The Hour After Midnight
    The Lord of Lost Heart
    Ill Met By Morrslieb

20. - Top - End - #470

BlackDragon

Adelbert Schreiber

Spoiler
    Show
    Adelbert rested for ten minutes - it had been a long, long climb. While there he considered his options.

Much of the reason he had left was because he didn't want Sforza to steal his gold, but it was not the only reason. He had to warn Duke Edouard - which meant getting a messenger to Alvarran. He hoped he could find someone willing to make the run in Sermena (unless by some miracle he ran into someone Alvarran bound on the road before then.)

After ten minutes he stood up again and looked around for somewhere to hide the bulk of his gold - he could hardly carry it all the way to Sermena and what if he was stopped and searched?

OOC:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Adelbert is going to look for somewhere he can bury his gold (that he can memorise).

Search: (1d100)[45] vs. 23.

He'll also keep a look out and a listen just in case he is not alone up here.

Perception: (1d100)[11] vs. 63.

21. - Top - End - #471
    Titan in the Playground

Adelbert

Spoiler
    Show
    The barren hilltop wasn't rich in hiding places. For the most part, the only cover was from the outcrops of rough black rock. Though there were nooks and crevices between them, none would hide the pack from view if some wanderer stumbled across it.

The best Adelbert could hope for up here was to wedge the bag somewhere that wind and rain couldn't dislodge it, and hope that no-one came by. After all, there was precious little reason to come up here, except for the view.
    Show

The Hour After Midnight
    The Lord of Lost Heart
    Ill Met By Morrslieb

22. - Top - End - #472
    Titan in the Playground

OOC
    Spoiler
    Show
    I'll roll Perception for Elsa to notice Adelbert slipping away. If she fails to take notice, she won't even have to feign surprise at his disappearance, since she wasn't expecting Adelbert to leave them before reaching Mirino.

(d100)[4]

No, Elsa, I wanted you to fail. Can't you do anything right?

Elsa widened her eyes slightly. "Huh. When was the last time any of you saw Adelbert?"
    Last edited by -Sentinel-; 2014-07-14 at 06:18 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Running:

Playing:

23. - Top - End - #473
    Titan in the Playground

Sieghard

"Not for a while," Sieghard replied with a shrug. "Maybe he fell behind. Should we wait for him?"
    Last edited by TheSummoner; 2014-07-14 at 06:43 PM.

24. - Top - End - #474
    Titan in the Playground

Cesar looked to Elsa for an answer to Sieghard's question. It didn't seem to bother him either way.

OOC:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Spoilers for non-Adelberts from here on please.
    Show

The Hour After Midnight
    The Lord of Lost Heart
    Ill Met By Morrslieb

25. - Top - End - #475
    Bugbear in the Playground

Viggo Hirtzel and All Other Non Adelberts

Spoiler
    Show

Viggo had been stumbling along behind the others oblivious to his surroundings. At first he'd kept up a steady commentary on the deteriorating state of his leg wound and the pain that he was in, but after a while even he grew tired of his whining. Besides, he needed to conserve his dwindling stores of energy to keep him putting one foot in front of the other.

When the rest of the party drew to halt he staggered on a few extra steps. He looked about trying to locate any sign of the scribe.

"Adelbert? Adelbert? Gods! Where is he?!" Viggo sounded genuinely panicked, he even took a few steps back downhill, "Anything could have happened to him! We have to go back!" Viggo shaded his eyes as he scanned the road they had trudged up, before cupping hands around his mouth. "ADELBERT!" he roared before tilting his head to one side waiting for a response.
    Last edited by Northern Lad; 2014-07-15 at 10:20 AM.

26. - Top - End - #476
    Titan in the Playground

Not Adelbert

Spoiler
    Show
    Oh, for the love of...

"Shut up, Viggo. We don't know what else is out there." Elsa rubbed her forehead wearily. "If he'd been falling behind, he would have yelled at us to slow down. I mean, he's got his pride, but he's not an idiot. I think he left on purpose. I know he didn't look too happy when I told him I'd be giving Sforza a full report."
    Spoiler
    Show
    Running:

Playing:

27. - Top - End - #477
    Bugbear in the Playground

Non Adelberts

Spoiler
    Show

Viggo's brow furrowed in confusion and concern, "We spoke last night and he never mentioned jaunting off into the wilderness alone?" Viggo's voice was more hushed now but he was obviously still worried about his friend. "What if he's slipped, broke his leg and knocked himself out eh?! You don't know and probably aren't bothered either way, but I am!"

The young lad looked towards Sieghard and Ludo, his eyes looking decidedly watery, voice catching. "We can't just leave him! He'd not leave us to rot out here in the sun, prey to undead armies or goblins on wolves... or whatever other horrors are lurking around here and you know it!"

28. - Top - End - #478
    Titan in the Playground

I could never read any of the stuff he wrote anyways.

Spoiler
    Show
    Sieghard sighed. "You two can go ahead if you like. We'll look for Schreiber," he said with a glance towards Elsa and Cesar.

Spoiler: Assuming Elsa and Cesar do continue without the rest of us
    Show
    Sieghard waited until Elsa and her guard were out of earshot before explaining.

"Adelbert is fine," he said curtly. "He planned on splitting off from the group because he was worried Sforza would try to take his gold. The man hasn't exactly made himself hard to find. If all goes well for him, he'll be in Sermena by nightfall."

Sieghard glanced back up the slope at Elsa and Cesar. "And it looks like he gave us a good way to slip away as well. A minstrel, sellsword, and halfling in Mirino... Even if Sforza does try taking our shares, as long as none of us do anything stupid, he won't have an easy time finding us."
    Last edited by TheSummoner; 2014-07-15 at 12:00 PM.

29. - Top - End - #479

BlackDragon

Adelbert Schreiber

Spoiler
    Show
    Adelbert agonised over whether to abandon his pack but eventually decided the chances of anyone coming up here were very low. He sought out the most securing looking crevice he could find and after making sure it was sufficently recognisable he could find it again departed.

For a long moment he wondered whether he should dig a hole and bury his pack but eventually decided against it. In this barren, nearly soiless area a fresh dig would be almost as obvious as and abandoned back and perhaps more likely to attract curiosity.

He did take 40GC with him before leaving, thinking he'd probably need them. He also brought his ink and writing kit, and a couple of sheafs of parchment.

Having completeled his preperations, he rested for a few minutes, again taking the time to memorise the location before heading west towards Sermena

30. - Top - End - #480
    Titan in the Playground

Not Adelbert

Spoiler
    Show
    Elsa was just about to exasperatedly yell: Fine, fine, I lied, I saw him leave, when Sieghard stepped in. Good thinking.

"Be quick and don't go too far."
    Spoiler
    Show
    Running:

Playing: