New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 11 of 50 FirstFirst ... 2345678910111213141516171819202136 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #301
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: The CHALLENGE chugs on!

New chapter is up. 3938 words by Fictionpress count.

Plus 479 on the Culture-WH40k crossover, that makes 4417 words this week.
    Last edited by jseah; 2015-07-04 at 01:50 PM.

2. - Top - End - #302
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Glass Mouse View Post
    As a cat person, I deeply resent the implication that dogs would be the natural conclusion here
    Don't want to start an internet flame war on which pet is better, but historically speaking, dogs have held the title. Besides their cuteness, playful nature, loveability, and loyalty, (which are all debatable vs. cats) they are/were also more useful. Attack dog, guard dog, watch dog, hunting dog, tracker, sheep dog, cattle dog, pest control, etc. etc... Usefulness aside, man's best friend could be a pet rock. It offers nothing, demands nothing: Perfection.

This week's are on tumblr again.

3. - Top - End - #303
    Ettin in the Playground

Majora's Mask Point Race - Episode 3

Despite the computer going into the shop again, I managed to crank this one out...
    Scientific Name: Wombous apocolypticus | Diet: Apocolypse Pie | Cuddly: Yes

World Building Projects:
    Magic
    : The Stuff of Sentience | Fate: The Fabric of Physics | Luck: The Basis of Biology

Order of the Stick Projects:
    Annotation of the Comic | Magic Compendium of the Comic | Transcription of the Comic
    Dad-a-chum? Dum-a-chum? Ded-a-chek? Did-a-chick?
    Extended Signature | My DeviantArt | Majora's Mask Point Race
    (you can't take the sky from me)

4. - Top - End - #304

So, I am in the process of (this moment) compiling my uploads. I, unfortunately, leave them scattered about and I usually try to use Sunday to gather them back together. (The World Cup distracted me, though; I'm still so excited that USA won!)

Anyway: digression aside. This is where they will be as I find them. Mostly, it will be pictures because those ones are easy to find.
    So, uh...if anybody wants to watch the boring process of me putting words and images on a Google Doc, now's your chance.
    Also, regarding leather jackets: I actually have one of those. Or, had. I wore it so often that my mom had to bribe me to toss it out, it was so well-loved and used.

(Oh, hey! Wombat of Doom! I watched that Majora's Mask episode yesterday. It was pretty good; I liked it. One of my favorite games, and you've done a very creative and enjoyable way to play it.)
    Last edited by 5a Violista; 2015-07-06 at 03:53 PM.
    Favorite sports:
    Fencing
    Football (Soccer)
    Figure Skating
    (and basically everything else that starts with 'f')
    ALSO! Come roleplay FFRPG in the Nexus!
    Nexus Characters.

5. - Top - End - #305
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Mahonri Violist View Post
    (Oh, hey! Wombat of Doom! I watched that Majora's Mask episode yesterday. It was pretty good; I liked it. One of my favorite games, and you've done a very creative and enjoyable way to play it.)
    I'm so glad you are enjoying it! I anticipate there will be a ton of installments, and we've got plans to keep the channel growing, so keep in touch, and subscribe if you like it. The more support we get the more we'll be able to do! (also, if you're interested, we've got a thread going for it on the forum, if you'd ever like to comment and not be on youtube. Link is in my signature

World Building Projects:
    Magic
    : The Stuff of Sentience | Fate: The Fabric of Physics | Luck: The Basis of Biology

Annotation of the Comic | Magic Compendium of the Comic | Transcription of the Comic

6. - Top - End - #306
    Ogre in the Playground

Sorry for the lateness. But here be status for the week June 29 - July 5!

Glass Mouse passes with a Genre Unsavvy comic strip, a redraw and 3737 words of rpging.

Lycunadari passes with six photos of everything from medieval knights to fire-jugglers.

Allan Dotson passes with a Critters page, a demon bear, a riding dog, the Fantastic Four, and a monster bed.

Cuthalion will be back on July 14.

Artman77 passes with an ogre, a jedi showdown, man’s second-best friend , Batman, a blue-purple face, and a purple-green tree.

LeSwordfish didn’t upload/send me anything. Edit: no, that's a pass with seven jetbikes.

TheWombatOfDoom passes with Majora's Mask Point Race episode 3.

Mahonri Violist passes with a car photo, a forrest, a teamful of stretches, some fencing equipment, rainbow stairs, and the saddest kissing point.

jseah passes with 3938 words of novel writings and 479 words of Culture-WH40k crossover.

Thus, LeSwordfish FAILS this round!

Glass Mouse, Lycunadari, Allan Dotson, Artman77, TheWombatOfDoom, Mahonri Violist and jseah PASS this round!

Current standing:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Glass Mouse
    Current run: 245 weeks
    Longest run: -
    Themes: -

Lycunadari
    Current run: 130 weeks

Allan Dotson
    Current run: 44 weeks
    Themes: 2 weeks

Cuthalion
    Current run: -
    Longest run: 12 weeks

Artman77
    Current run: 12 weeks
    Themes: 12 weeks

LeSwordfish
    Current run: 2 weeks
    Longest run: 5 weeks

TheWombatOfDoom
    Longest run: 71 weeks

Mahonri Violist
    Current run: 3 weeks

jseah

This week's theme (July 6 - 12) has not been chosen yet, so it is up for grabs.

Next week's theme is chosen by Mahonri Violist - let me know in PM or this thread, and I'll include it in the next status.

Quote Originally Posted by jseah View Post
    New chapter is up. 3938 words by Fictionpress count.

Plus 479 on the Culture-WH40k crossover, that makes 4417 words this week.
    Thanks, jseah! Makes my life a lot easier

Quote Originally Posted by Artman77 View Post
    Don't want to start an internet flame war on which pet is better, but historically speaking, dogs have held the title. Besides their cuteness, playful nature, loveability, and loyalty, (which are all debatable vs. cats) they are/were also more useful. Attack dog, guard dog, watch dog, hunting dog, tracker, sheep dog, cattle dog, pest control, etc. etc... Usefulness aside, man's best friend could be a pet rock. It offers nothing, demands nothing: Perfection.
    Psh! I refer to my superior ability to define everyone’s works in the sum-up above. And no amount of cute puppy paintings can sway me

If you wanna go kinda serious:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Okay, disregarding the fact that I’m only kidding around, good points. Dogs are definitely, historically, more useful to have around, partly because they have been so thoroughly domesticated, partly because their original social structure resembles ours, while cats more-or-less just decided to move in one day, eat our pests, and then slowly get used to us. I haven’t had other pets, so I’m not 100% hip on their history and qualities.

Still. I’m pretty sure I know who has been more societally useful between steelworkers and artists, but I also know which group I tend to get along best with. Like you said, if we remove usefulness from the equation, we’re left with a hell of a lot of subjective measures. And most people don’t choose or define their friends in terms of usefulness.

I know I started it this time, but mostly I’m amused by how many flame wars this topic has started. “Cats suit my temperament better, and thus I get along better with them” vs “I like the qualities of dogs more than those of cats, hence why I prefer them” should really be where we start and stop the value judgment. Not that history and anthropology isn’t fun, but “which animal has been historically most useful for humans to keep domesticated?” is quite a different discussion than “which pet makes the best friend?”. I guess the problems come when we conflate the two.

Tl;dr: I agree. I personally prefer non-dog pets. This discussion gets interesting fast. I talk too much.

Oh, and I think I forgot to mention: You won a portrait a few weeks back due to hitting the 10-week mark! Congrats, and PM me to let me know what you want!

Anyway: digression aside. This is where they will be as I find them. Mostly, it will be pictures because those ones are easy to find.
    As usual, fun to read your document! Regarding the “day in the life of” series and the interestingness of photos, longer nonsense rant below:
    Spoiler
    Show
    I want to posit the idea that the subject matter is the least interesting part of such an undertaking. Everyone’s day consists of 90% boring stuff, 9% stuff only interesting in context, and 1% cool stuff happening far away from any camera. The real challenge is making the mundane interesting in its presentation. A good photographer can make a stack of potatoes delightful.
    I’m not a good photographer myself by any means, but the good ones IMO are those that manage to capture the feel of the moment. “Interesting” is for documentaries and news and instruction videos (not that those aren’t tremendously important), while most hobby and art photographers strive for “fun” or “beautiful” or “emotions-inspiring”. Who cares if the audience can’t differentiate between fencing stances if the photograph conveys the fun or badassness or victory of the moment?
    Which is just a long-winded way of saying “go for it” :)
    Last edited by Glass Mouse; 2015-07-08 at 01:32 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show

Challenge badge
    , courtesy of HeadlessMermaid.

Avatar courtesy of the talented Neoriceisgood. Features Pumpkin from my webcomic.

7. - Top - End - #307
    Titan in the Playground

I do have a picture of the seven jetbikes i painted, but it hasn't uploaded to my dropbox so I can't post it from work - can I sneak in a few hours late?

8. - Top - End - #308
    Titan in the Playground

9. - Top - End - #309
    Ogre in the Playground

Chimera

I just wanna brag that I would've succeeded at the challenge for nearly every week barring the last 2 test week days of school before summer.

My 100% original pixelart fantasy webcomic, Hero oh Hero.

Webcomic discussion thread: https://forums.giantitp.com/showthre...7-Hero-Oh-Hero

10. - Top - End - #310

No theme yet?

Theme: Little Guys Anything small. Could be literal or metaphoric.

11. - Top - End - #311
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by LeSwordfish View Post
    I do have a picture of the seven jetbikes i painted, but it hasn't uploaded to my dropbox so I can't post it from work - can I sneak in a few hours late?
    Alright.

But let's clarify, you're not a few hours late, you're more than two days late. As Lycundaria reiterated upthread, the submission deadline is Sunday. The status post just happens after Sunday has passed everywhere (and usually 10-24 hours after that because that fit my school/work schedule). I know the status post usually works as the de facto deadline, but that's only due to convenience on my end.

This next part is relevant for everyone!

Actually, since I'm currently on summer vacation, I am going to move the status post back to Sunday's end. Meaning that from now on and at least the next couple of months, being late is not gonna fly. So please respect the actual deadline, everyone!

Quote Originally Posted by Neoriceisgood View Post
    I just wanna brag that I would've succeeded at the challenge for nearly every week barring the last 2 test week days of school before summer.
    High five!
    Last edited by Glass Mouse; 2015-07-08 at 02:11 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show

Challenge badge

Avatar courtesy of the talented Neoriceisgood. Features Pumpkin from my webcomic.

12. - Top - End - #312
    Ogre in the Playground

Here, 1203 words on that crossover. As per MSWord count (counting only the bits in the spoiler of course).

13. - Top - End - #313
    Ettin in the Playground

World Building Projects:
    Magic

14. - Top - End - #314
    Ogre in the Playground

New chapter is up. 4291 words by Fictionpress count.

With 1203 words on WH40k crossover thread, makes 5494 words this week.

15. - Top - End - #315
    Ogre in the Playground

Another Culture-40k post. Everything after around this point ("Hi there, I guess you're a latent sensitive,") is after 12am, so that makes 1315 words for next week by MSWord count.

And 268 words for this week for a new total of 5762.
    Last edited by jseah; 2015-07-12 at 12:28 PM.

16. - Top - End - #316
    Titan in the Playground

I don't usually like to count RP, but big posts - like this 878-word one here - probably qualify.

I also painted a Vyper.

And finaly 387 words of novel:

Spoiler
    Show
    The last day of term in Morecambe, it snowed. A thick blanket of white flumphed itself onto the town overnight. In short succession, the entire university went from elation- it would be difficult to get to lectures- to horror- it would be difficult to get home for christmas. This made the snowball fights that inevitably ensued slightly bittersweet.
    Collman didn’t need to go home over the holidays, and so was able to wander freely through the town without worrying about whether the snow would impact on his ability to leave, or, more pressingly, if it would melt too much to sledge on. He had hot drinks and mince pies to buy, and last-minute present shopping that needed to be done.
    In accordance with a promise he’d made nearly two months ago, he was still carrying Cora’s pistol, as well as his own weapon. He’d barely seen Cora around, and it felt distinctly cruel to specifically hunt an unarmed teenager down. He was all about fair play. The best kind of fair play, where you could be fair because you were winning anyway.
    There was a certain amount of speculation amongst those who watched such things as to who would win- The Invisibles, or the Deadeyes. While the Deadeyes could only claw back a draw, this would be, in Collman’s eyes, quite enough. After the thrashing they’d taken at the start of the season, this wouldn’t be failure- this would be a heroic turnaround, catching a draw against near-impossible odds.
    So, while Collman didn’t intend on hunting Cora down, he kept his gun loaded and slung on his back. This meant the occasional strange look at bars, clubs, or other personal interactions, but he wouldn’t have got that job anyway.
    He caught a glimpse of a familiar shock of hair, wandering past a gritting lorry, and ran to catch up with it. “Lucy! Lucy!”
    “Hi!” Lucy turned to him and gave him a brief hug. She pulled away, adjusting the heavy bags of shopping she was carrying
    “Buying christmas presents?”
    He held up his Game bag. “Can’t get away from the season, can you?”
    Lucy shook her head thoughtfully. “No, no. Buying anything interesting?”
    “Couldn’t say so, honestly. Got Marcella some earrings and a copy of They Still Hunger.”
    “She’s a girl of many interests.” Lucy said diplomatically.

17. - Top - End - #317

I'm here now!

'cause I don't always have access to a scanner or good internet connections on weekends, it'll take a couple more minutes for everything to be fully uploaded, but here it is.

This past week. I didn't really follow the theme, sorry. I probably absolutely could run a spin on some of the things I did to force them to fit the theme, but I feel like it would be better to decide in advance what would follow the theme. So no spin.

Since I’ve been in a bluegrass jam session recently, expect some bluegrass-style stuff next week.

Also. Theme for this week, I need to decide what it will be. (I could either pick something that I know I'm going to do this week, or something that will be more difficult but more interesting...I like interesting.)
    So, I want the theme for next week to be falling. Since I get to pick it, and all.
    Favorite sports:
    Fencing
    Football (Soccer)
    Figure Skating
    Nexus Characters.

18. - Top - End - #318

It's still Sunday in California, right? j/k.

Art is on tumblr again, and it looks like to me it probably will be, from now on.

19. - Top - End - #319
    Ogre in the Playground

We’re back to appropriately timed status posts, and everyone made it on time. Go us! Here be status for the week July 6 - 12!

Glass Mouse passes with a Genre Unsavvy comic strip and 721 words of novel writings.

Lycunadari passes with five pretty flower photos and one beautiful sky.

Allan Dotson passes with a Critters page, a vampire girl, colours for the F4, a Mad Max mobile, a (the?) swamp thing, a summer picnic and a monster stew.

Cuthalion will be back on July 14.

Artman77 passes with a dwarf dude, and a whole mess of goblin mugshots.

LeSwordfish passes with 878 words of rpging, 387 words of novel writings, and a vyper jet.

TheWombatOfDoom passes with Majora’s Mask episode 4.

Mahonri Violist passes with Majora’s Mask song lyrics, notes for a blues hymn, a row of shiny cars, another car, a flock of ducks, the loneliest guitar, and a flag.

jseah passes with 1471 words of Culture-40k and 4291 words of novel writings.

Thus, no one FAILS this round!

Glass Mouse, Lycunadari, Allan Dotson, Artman77, LeSwordfish, TheWombatOfDoom, Mahonri Violist and jseah PASS this round!

Current standing:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Glass Mouse
    Current run: 246 weeks

Lycunadari
    Current run: 131 weeks

Allan Dotson
    Current run: 45 weeks

Cuthalion
    Longest run: 12 weeks

Artman77
    Current run: 13 weeks
    Themes: 13 weeks

LeSwordfish

TheWombatOfDoom

Mahonri Violist
    Current run: 4 weeks

jseah

This week's theme (July 13 - 19), chosen by Mahonri Violist, is Falling.

Next week's theme is chosen by jseah - let me know in PM or this thread, and I'll include it in the next status.

Links updated as per request, Artman and Wombat!

Also. Theme for this week, I need to decide what it will be. (I could either pick something that I know I'm going to do this week, or something that will be more difficult but more interesting...I like interesting.)
    So, I want the theme for next week to be falling. Since I get to pick it, and all.
    Welp, this is my cue to explore how it’ll work if I make my novel’s big bad into a fallen angel. Gonna be fun!
    Last edited by Glass Mouse; 2015-07-15 at 11:25 AM.
    Spoiler
    Show

Challenge badge

20. - Top - End - #320
    Ogre in the Playground

Would it be cheating to pick a theme that I'd end up writing about anyway? Or how about something nice and generic?

In any case, I pick Memories as a theme.

Now if only that was this week's theme, the next 40k post would hit it right on the head. I could always put off writing the post but one does not cheat at this sort of thing. =P

EDIT:
    Also, you have my word count wrong. The total on your post for the 40k writing should be 1471 (1203 + 268).
    The 1315 words was written after Sunday 12am (GMT+8).

A minor detail I know, given I easily clear 1.5k. =D
    Last edited by jseah; 2015-07-14 at 11:12 AM.

21. - Top - End - #321
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by jseah View Post
    EDIT:
    Also, you have my word count wrong. The total on your post for the 40k writing should be 1471 (1203 + 268).
    The 1315 words was written after Sunday 12am (GMT+8).

A minor detail I know, given I easily clear 1.5k. =D
    Fixed!

And you can choose whichever theme you want. I often pick something I was planning anyway, to force myself to actually do the thing instead of getting distracted by shiny. YMMV in whether that's a good strategy for you as well
    Spoiler
    Show

Challenge badge

22. - Top - End - #322
    Troll in the Playground

I was gone for a good reason, but I'm back now and have to leave again for my grandmother's memorial. She passed away while I was in West Virginia. Now, while I would like to scan everything from the last month before I leave, there is not enough time, and I'd rather not scan everything onto my grandfather's computer and rescan it all again here so it's in the same place. But the good news is that I had a drawing for each day I was in the Midwest.

I'm also going to be away for a week in August, and two in September, but one of those is a 6-day art workshop, so that should count for something. And then life settles down, hopefully.
    Spoiler: Quote(s)
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Temotei View Post
    You're my favorite.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kneenibble View Post
    I'll kill them! I'll kill all of them!
    Quote Originally Posted by FinnLassie View Post
    We're crashing Wombat's wedding! WITH AN ARMY OF WOMBATS AND BUDGIES.

"So whosoever is a hedgehog let him see to it that his wife is a hedgehog also, and so forth."

23. - Top - End - #323
    Ettin in the Playground

World Building Projects:
    Magic

24. - Top - End - #324
    Ogre in the Playground

5250 words on Hero's War. Here.

EDIT: 671 words on Culture-40k.
    Last edited by jseah; 2015-07-19 at 03:03 AM.

25. - Top - End - #325
    Titan in the Playground

1625 more words of novel. I broke 70,000 words total!

Spoiler
    Show
    Cora met Gideon on the balcony, where he was clipping himself into a climbing harness: he moved to help her with her own, but she politely declined and put it on for herself, cinching the straps tight around her body. Gideon had clipped one end of the rope to himself, before passing the carabiner on the other end to her - a metal hook with a lever. When the lever was closed, the hook was completed as a loop, and the harness was locked in.
    “It clips on this way,” he explained, demonstrating, “and you need to unclip it to remove it - push in, and pull the harness out.”
    “I know what a carabiner is.” Cora said, a little testily. “I own six.”
    “Well, good.” Gideon turned away and reached into his kitbag again. “Nervous?”
    “Why would I be?” Cora asked. “I’m only going to be - how many storeys up is it?”
    “If i told you that, you’d only worry.” He had drawn the gecko gloves out, and passed them over to Cora. She put them on - they were a little big, perhaps designed for Mathilde, but could be tightened with straps - and flexed her fingers experimentally.
    The gecko gloves had webbing between the fingers, like a bird’s foot, and the palm surface was covered with hundreds of tiny hairs. This vastly magnified the surface area, allowing even the two human climbers to cling to the walls using only attraction between the molecules. They had tested them a few nights before, climbing about on the walls of some of the buildings behind Jessie’s house. It had taken Cora a little while to master the complicated peeling movement needed to remove the gloves for a while, but gideon had used them before and scrambled around like a spider, practically beaming with pride.
    Cora strapped on two kneepads - mostly useful for keeping adhered to the wall, unlikely to take much of her weight - and turned back to Gideon, who was checking a weapon, an ugly massive pistol. The casualness with which he handled the weapon - checking the slide, the clip - somehow made her nauseous, as if he had been caressing a live snake. He spotted her looking and slipped it into his holster.
    “Desert eagle, fifty millimeter calibre. Loaded with armor penetrating rounds.”
    “Who will we be shooting?”
    “Nobody, I dearly hope. But should somebody arrive, I want something larger than a water-pistol to point at them. A weapon like this bespeaks great stopping power. It will make a swat team pause before swatting us, which i’m sure you’ll agree is a good thing.”
    “I never liked real guns.” Cora said, folding her arms.
    “Well, you’ll like them less in the other side’s hands.” Gideon said, and turned to the wall. Cora moved up beside him, reached as high into the wall as possible, and pressed her glove to the surface. It adhered well to the glass, and her test tugs on it were unable to remove it, until she tried the peeling motion. She attached it again, and then raised her knee and attached that. This let her lean her other hand higher, and then she was hanging from the wall by the pads alone. The wind was mild here, but she felt it shake her a little. She unpeeled her first hand, and climbed a little higher.
    “Best of luck.” Gideon said, attaching himself to the wall at her hip level.
    “Thank you.”
    “I’m tied to you,” the old man said humorlessly, “the sentiment is entirely selfish.”
    Cora returned her attention to the climb, peeled her hand away from the wall, and placed it back again.
    It was an slow way to progress, painstakingly peeling each hand from the wall and slapping it on again. Her weight hung from the straps around her wrists and knees, and she was no more than thirty meters up before it was uncomfortable. She suspected that by the end of the climb it would be excruciating - that was, if she didn’t fall to her death first.
    Peel, slap. Peel, slap.
    Gideon was below her - it was felt that he was more likely able to take the extra jolt of her falling past if needed. She wondered if he was annoyed with her progress.
    Peel, slap. Peel, slap.
    No, not quite connected. Slap, again. This time it connected.
    Peel, slap.
    The pull of the ground below her had never been so tempting. With great force of will, she didn’t look down. Instead she looked up: at the long expanse of tower wall ahead, at the messy block of scaffolding at the top. It seemed very far away.
    Peel, slap, peel, slap.
    The wind was picking up. Her clothes were form-fitting and her headscarf was as tight as she can make it, but a gust blew through and waved her like a flag. Her left leg, which she had been in the process of repositioning, was blown dramatically sideways, throwing her off balance. Her shin banged against the wall, and she winced as a flash of pain rippled up it. Instinctively, she glanced down to check on it.
    Three hundred meters away, so far as to fade into infinity, the london traffic passed by. Cora’s heart stopped, and her breath caught in her throat as her gaze inexorably followed a taxi. It was so tiny and black as to be beetle like, and it crawled around the buildings corner. Cora’s vision swum, and the world seemed to swirl around her: she felt as if the building would gently throw her off and then she would be falling, slowly at first but then faster and faster. Part of her was convinced she’d never hit the ground, part of her could hear the sound of it now, a wet splatter abruptly cut off as her ears were destroyed with the rest of her, a bone-shattering crunch that-
    She was wrenched back to reality by a firm grip on her arm. Gideon had climbed up beside her and squeezed her wrist tightly. When she turned to look at him he moved his hand and gripped her chin- it was uncomfortable, but physically prevented her from looking at the abyss below.
    “Stay calm.” He instructed her, shouting over the wind and making close eye contact with her. “Do not look down. Stay with me, my dear, you are still attached. I’ve got you.” Cora closed her eyes and pulled her chin from his grip - her skin crawled at the touch of the gloves, but it had worked. Her head was stopping spinning, her arms felt stronger, and though her heart was cacophonous in her chest, it was definitely still beating.
    She allowed herself a few seconds of rest, and then continued climbing.

It had started raining. The gloves apparently worked just as well on damp surfaces, but Cora was of no mind to test that for too long - and at any rate, her clothes were starting to be soaked through. She could see her sleeves trailing rivulets down the sides of the building, and had to resist the temptation to glance down to see the water fall.
    The scaffolding wasn’t far ahead of them - first they would reach a complicated network of trusses, arranged to hold the scaffolding to the building, and above that the lowest of the work platforms itself. From there, hopefully it would be possible to use stairs or ladders to reach their entrance point, the office of Kessler’s window.
    She hauled herself upwards again, lactic acid build-up in her muscles burning every inch of the way. In her earpiece, she could hear Gideon’s laboured breathing - this was clearly much harder on the old man than he’d expected. The lower bar of the scaffolding crawled closer and closer, until she was finally, finally, besides it, and then above it. She unhooked her hand for the last time and moved to sit, shaking, astride the horizontal bar, crooking her elbow around the vertical bar next to her for balance. Gideon reached the bar next to her and did much the same thing, his breath shaking his thin chest. He was visibly sweating, and for the first time Cora saw him as he was- an old man, far more frail than he’d seemed before. She averted her eyes politely, and looked out over the city.
    The view took her breath away. London stretched away before her, the orange glow of streetlights spattered with gold, white, blue and red. The thames was an oil-black stripe through the lights, and she could see other spots of darkness - the parks, she supposed. There was the mall, with buckingham palace at the end, there was charing cross station. That cluster of white lights would be the post office tower, and there was picadilly circus. Trafalgar square, the south bank, Soho square… she couldn’t see her home from here, but suspected she wouldn’t have been able to pick it out anyway. What she could see, though, was-
    “It’s beautiful.” she said aloud.
    Gideon smiled. “Of the many cities around the world i’ve visited, I do believe my favorite is London.”
    Cora nodded. She could have admired the view for hours, but Gideon was already moving, climbing the scaffolding like a ladder. It was awkward to get through into the main body of the scaffold, since it was designed to prevent things falling out, but in the end they were able to force up a section of the flooring and scramble- a word drastically unsuited to being six hundred meters in the air - through into the scaffold itself, where stretched tarpaulins held out the wind. They did stop them from seeing the view, however.

26. - Top - End - #326
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Cuthalion View Post
    I was gone for a good reason, but I'm back now and have to leave again for my grandmother's memorial. She passed away while I was in West Virginia. Now, while I would like to scan everything from the last month before I leave, there is not enough time, and I'd rather not scan everything onto my grandfather's computer and rescan it all again here so it's in the same place. But the good news is that I had a drawing for each day I was in the Midwest.

I'm also going to be away for a week in August, and two in September, but one of those is a 6-day art workshop, so that should count for something. And then life settles down, hopefully.
    Sorry to hear about your grandmother, Cuthalion, and many hugs to you. Just let me know when you'll be back with everything, and I'll adjust accordingly. Best wishes to you and your family.
    Spoiler
    Show

Challenge badge

27. - Top - End - #327

And now, my uploads of the past week:

Here. Met the theme challenge, too, with the song Hallelujah! (You know, the one from Shrek.) The lyrics, if you listen to them, are essentially about a fall from grace and about love, and how one often causes the other. I totes made that song Bluegrass in, like, five different ways. Unfortunately, I didn't do the other bluegrass song that I was going to do (called...um...I don't remember. Something to do with a fox. Fox on the Run? I mean, I played it and learned the chord progression, some lyrics, and some lead but no uploading of anything related to it.)
    Then, a couple pictures.

Congrats, everyone, on all that writing!
    Last edited by 5a Violista; 2015-07-20 at 01:32 AM. Reason: Why do I use the words "totes" so often? ;p Long story.
    Favorite sports:
    Fencing
    Football (Soccer)
    Figure Skating
    Nexus Characters.

28. - Top - End - #328
    Ogre in the Playground

A handful of hours too late today, oops. Still, here's the status for the week July 13-19!

Glass Mouse passes with a Genre Unsavvy comic strip and two portraits of an OC during their fall from grace.

Lycunadari passes with six OC drawings and one magical crow.

Allan Dotson passes with a cake goblin, a war mammoth, Captain America, an Egyptian vampire, a lich, a gnome lich, and Gwen Goblin Stacy. And possible a Critters page (the site is down).

Cuthalion will be back at some point.

Artman77 didn't upload/send me anything.

LeSwordfish passes with 1625 words of novel writings including a near-fall into the streets of London.

TheWombatOfDoom passes with Majora's Mask Point Race episode 5.

Mahonri Violist passes with five kinds of bluegrass Hallelujah, two cleanroom photos, one America’s Next Squirrel Model, and some flowers.

jseah passes with 5250 words on Hero’s War, and 671 words on Culture-40k.

Thus, Artman77 FAILS this round!

Glass Mouse, Lycunadari, Allan Dotson, LeSwordfish, TheWombatOfDoom, Mahonri Violist and jseah PASS this round!

Current standing:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Glass Mouse
    Current run: 247 weeks
    Themes: 1 week

Lycunadari
    Current run: 132 weeks

Allan Dotson
    Current run: 46 weeks

Cuthalion
    Longest run: 13 weeks

Artman77
    Longest run: 13 weeks

LeSwordfish

TheWombatOfDoom

Mahonri Violist
    Current run: 5 weeks

jseah

This week's theme (July 20 - 26), chosen by jseah, is Memories.

Next week's theme is chosen by me
    Spoiler
    Show

Challenge badge

29. - Top - End - #329
    Titan in the Playground

So one of the creative hobbies I have is level design - building environments for existing games. What would be a reasonable day's worth of work on one of those? It's difficult to pin down a "unit" for it like one photograph or one word.

I can paint five models in a week or write 1500 words a week in an estimate of an hour a day (this is fairly non-intensive, though), so my suggestion would be that I eyeball it at that, and provide before/after screenshots to prove i've been doing it. Does that seem fair? If you (and i'm meaning you all as people who get the same amount of "credit" as me for the challenge, not just the boss) disagree, I could try for something else - one incremental version of the map a week is my next best bet.

Below is three sets of screenshots for before/after, plus my estimates of times taken.

Spoiler: Large Out-Of-Bounds Area, Two Hours
    Show

http://images.akamai.steamuserconten...E0C33994FA524/
    http://images.akamai.steamuserconten...8348C6CF5D571/

Its hard to tell with this one, but the second picture is taken from under the bridge in the first.

(the big black blobs are sort of professionally embarrassing- they're lighting errors that i will be fixing)

30. - Top - End - #330
    Ogre in the Playground

Squeaking in with 1.5 hours left on the clock:

5705 words for Chapter 32 of Hero's War.

EDIT: despite setting the theme, I'm not going to be able to write the culture-40k post today that was going to meet the theme. Hero's War chapter took way too long.
    Last edited by jseah; 2015-07-26 at 09:20 AM.