New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 12 of 50 FirstFirst ... 234567891011121314151617181920212237 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #331
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: The CHALLENGE chugs on!

Quote Originally Posted by LeSwordfish View Post
    So one of the creative hobbies I have is level design - building environments for existing games. What would be a reasonable day's worth of work on one of those? It's difficult to pin down a "unit" for it like one photograph or one word.

I can paint five models in a week or write 1500 words a week in an estimate of an hour a day (this is fairly non-intensive, though), so my suggestion would be that I eyeball it at that, and provide before/after screenshots to prove i've been doing it. Does that seem fair? If you (and i'm meaning you all as people who get the same amount of "credit" as me for the challenge, not just the boss) disagree, I could try for something else - one incremental version of the map a week is my next best bet.
    Ooh, is that TF2? Been way too long since I played that.

As for your question, I think the most reasonable way would be to treat it like a drawing. Drawings can be broken up into chunks for Challenge purposes (e.g. one person, one particularly detailed piece of BG, etc.). I don't see why we couldn't do the same for level design.

I'm a bit leery about going for straight-up time estimates. The Challenge is build around very rough estimates, so it is incorporated, but doing it directly takes away from the result-orientedness. I'm also much more comfortable with measures that can be verified to some degree. The "meaningful chunks" approach obviously still has a lot of leeway and interpretation, but it follows the spirit of all the other piece definitions better.

I would count the above as: 1 toxic waste, 1 building, 1-2 chunks of out-of-bounds area. Maybe 1 more if you count waste and surrounding area (=foreground and middleground) as separate.

Does this approach seem reasonable to you (and everyone else)?
    Spoiler
    Show

Challenge badge
    , courtesy of HeadlessMermaid.

Avatar courtesy of the talented Neoriceisgood. Features Pumpkin from my webcomic.

2. - Top - End - #332
    Titan in the Playground

In addition to the maybe-five-days worth of mapping I posted yesterday: here's a sixth: 270 words of novel.

Spoiler
    Show
    Kesslers office was up one floor- they climbed a ladder, the movement easy and familiar after hauling themselves up the building, and rounded the corner of the building. The office window itself was floor-to-ceiling, inch-thick glass set into a circular frame.
    “At this height, there’s no reason for windows to open.” Gideon said. “The building should be air-conditioned anyway. Which makes our job a little more complex…”
    He drew a small cutting torch from his bag. “But, given that windows at this height aren’t alarmed, not unduly so.”
    He went around the outside of the glass, cutting at the bonding between it and the frame. The glass was wobbling before he was halfway around: Cora took the torch and continued slicing while he used his gecko gloves to steady it. It was slow work, and the incandescent flame of the torch occasionally flickered and guttered in the cold wet air. Twice Mathilde asked for status updates - Gideon answered testily.
    Finally, however, the glass was free - Gideon carefully lowered it from the window and, with Cora’s help, dropped it onto the scaffolding. Gideon took the torch back into his bag, and then they stepped into the office of Stephen Kessler.
    It was surprisingly bare, and only it’s size and minimalism marked it out as not being the office of a middle-manager anywhere else in the company. There was a whiteboard, and a large screen: a bookcase with a series of books and a pair of glass trophies on, a large leather chair, and a desk. It was wood - Mahogany maybe, though cora didn’t know - and solidly constructed.

3. - Top - End - #333
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Glass Mouse View Post
    Sounds perfectly reasonable.

4. - Top - End - #334
    Ettin in the Playground

Episode 6 of Majora's Mask Point Race is live as of Friday!
    Scientific Name: Wombous apocolypticus | Diet: Apocolypse Pie | Cuddly: Yes

World Building Projects:
    Magic
    : The Stuff of Sentience | Fate: The Fabric of Physics | Luck: The Basis of Biology

Order of the Stick Projects:
    Annotation of the Comic | Magic Compendium of the Comic | Transcription of the Comic
    Dad-a-chum? Dum-a-chum? Ded-a-chek? Did-a-chick?
    Extended Signature | My DeviantArt | Majora's Mask Point Race
    (you can't take the sky from me)

5. - Top - End - #335
    Troll in the Playground

Dumping all of the art.
    Spoiler: Quote(s)
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Temotei View Post
    You're my favorite.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kneenibble View Post
    I'll kill them! I'll kill all of them!
    Quote Originally Posted by FinnLassie View Post
    We're crashing Wombat's wedding! WITH AN ARMY OF WOMBATS AND BUDGIES.

"So whosoever is a hedgehog let him see to it that his wife is a hedgehog also, and so forth."

6. - Top - End - #336
    Bugbear in the Playground

I got it for this past week!
    No photography this time; I wrote 1392 words of background for a character, fitting the theme "Memories", and then I marked up a jig called The Sweets of May for stylistic (celtic) markings.

Here.
    Favorite sports:
    Fencing
    Football (Soccer)
    Figure Skating
    (and basically everything else that starts with 'f')
    ALSO! Come roleplay FFRPG in the Nexus!
    Nexus Characters.

7. - Top - End - #337
    Titan in the Playground

Ooh, is that TF2? Been way too long since I played that.

As for your question, I think the most reasonable way would be to treat it like a drawing. Drawings can be broken up into chunks for Challenge purposes (e.g. one person, one particularly detailed piece of BG, etc.). I don't see why we couldn't do the same for level design.

I'm a bit leery about going for straight-up time estimates. The Challenge is build around very rough estimates, so it is incorporated, but doing it directly takes away from the result-orientedness. I'm also much more comfortable with measures that can be verified to some degree. The "meaningful chunks" approach obviously still has a lot of leeway and interpretation, but it follows the spirit of all the other piece definitions better.

I would count the above as: 1 toxic waste, 1 building, 1-2 chunks of out-of-bounds area. Maybe 1 more if you count waste and surrounding area (=foreground and middleground) as separate.

Hah! I didn't notice that i'd been ninja'ed. That seems perfectly reasonable to me. Since posting those screenshots i've done a lot of fiddly stuff like tweaking lights and sounds (one of which barely shows up in screenshots and one of which obviously doesn't). I've written up a character backstory now, so i'll add that as my last day's work.

8. - Top - End - #338

Well, I missed a week, so that sucks. But I'm back at it!
    New stuff.

9. - Top - End - #339
    Ogre in the Playground

Eep eep eep, I forgot I'd changed the time back! So sorry. Minor setback. But here is the status post for the week July 20 - 26!

Glass Mouse passes with a Genre Unsavvy comic strip, a sunny skyline, a Greek Olympian, and an illustrated OC memory.

Lycunadari passes with six pretty nature photos.

Allan Dotson passes with a Critters page, a Hezrou demon, a land fish, a shaman, a Nightmare, a tiny ape, a Marilith demon, and a big bad wolf.

Cuthalion is back and passes the past 7 weeks with a gazillion animal drawings, two houses, a portrait, and four flower paintings.

Artman77 passes with a Calvin/Hobbes nostalgia piece, a memory-sucking Dumbledore, an elephant, a human head, an orc head, and someone in between.

LeSwordfish passes with three TF2 level designs, and a character write-up.

TheWombatOfDoom passes with Majora’s Mask Point Race episode 6.

Mahonri Violist passes with 1392 words of character memories, and a Celtic song.

jseah passes with 5705 words of Hero’s War.

Thus, no one FAILS this round!

Glass Mouse, Lycunadari, Allan Dotson, Artman77, LeSwordfish, TheWombatOfDoom, Mahonri Violist and jseah PASS this round!

Current standing:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Glass Mouse
    Current run: 248 weeks
    Longest run: -
    Themes: 2 weeks

Lycunadari
    Current run: 133 weeks
    Themes: -

Allan Dotson
    Current run: 47 weeks

Cuthalion
    Current run: 19 weeks
    Longest run: 13 weeks

Artman77
    Current run: 1 week
    Themes: 1 week

LeSwordfish
    Current run: 5 weeks
    Longest run: 5 weeks

TheWombatOfDoom
    Longest run: 71 weeks

Mahonri Violist
    Current run: 6 weeks

jseah

This week's theme (July 27 - August 2), chosen by me, is Sisyphus.

Next week's theme is chosen by Lycunadari - let me know in PM or this thread, and I'll include it in the next status.

Quote Originally Posted by Cuthalion View Post
    Dumping all of the art.
    Welcome back

Quote Originally Posted by Artman77 View Post
    Well, I missed a week, so that sucks. But I'm back at it!
    New stuff.
    Damn, I'd hoped you’d just forgotten to upload for a week. Oh well. Back on the saddle and all that!
    Spoiler
    Show

Challenge badge

Avatar courtesy of the talented Neoriceisgood. Features Pumpkin from my webcomic.

10. - Top - End - #340

Damn, I'd hoped you’d just forgotten to upload for a week. Oh well. Back on the saddle and all that!
    That is exactly what happened actually, I've got last weeks art just chillin. That being said, if you got a job in the real world, and do your work but don't hand it off you still get written up/fired/not paid.... so..... Yeah. I didn't want to cheat. This is as much about meeting deadlines for me as it is a reminder to practice.

11. - Top - End - #341

12. - Top - End - #342
    Ettin in the Playground

Majora's Mask Episode 7! Things are really heating up....

World Building Projects:
    Magic
    : The Stuff of Sentience | Fate: The Fabric of Physics | Luck: The Basis of Biology

Annotation of the Comic | Magic Compendium of the Comic | Transcription of the Comic

13. - Top - End - #343
    Ogre in the Playground

Oh crap, I nearly forgot to post.

Luckily the email notification for wombat's post reminded me.

Here, 6377 words on Hero's War by FP count.

EDIT:
    This week was terrible. I wrote the chapter in a completely messed up order, the battle with the Titan was mostly wrote today.

Also there was supposed to be another section where they explore the ruin afterwards (and a rom-com like introduction for Ereli), but the chapter is already long enough...
    Last edited by jseah; 2015-08-02 at 12:08 PM.

14. - Top - End - #344
    Titan in the Playground

This week I took part in tf2maps.net's 72hourmap contest, to design a map from nothing in 72 hours. As of now, i'm a little less than 48 hours in, and i've made this:

http://forums.tf2maps.net/showthread.php?t=25205

I also tried to write some rules for a tabletop game, here.

15. - Top - End - #345
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by jseah View Post
    Oh crap, I nearly forgot to post.

Luckily the email notification for wombat's post reminded me.

Here, 6377 words on Hero's War by FP count.

EDIT:
    This week was terrible. I wrote the chapter in a completely messed up order, the battle with the Titan was mostly wrote today.

Also there was supposed to be another section where they explore the ruin afterwards (and a rom-com like introduction for Ereli), but the chapter is already long enough...
    Gladd my poat helped!

World Building Projects:
    Magic

16. - Top - End - #346
    Ogre in the Playground

Status post for the week July 27 - August 2!

Glass Mouse passes with a Genre Unsavvy strip, a two-people portrait, and a li'l fleeing Sisyphus.

Lycunadari passes with six pretty nature photos.

Allan Dotson passes with a Critters page, a gnome bard, a mech, a carrion crawler, a big moth, a sea serpent, a quasit demon and a pretty fishy dude.

Cuthalion passes with two parrot portraits, six more birds, some wolves, two elephants, and a big cat.

Artman77 passes with three mugshots, one pizza-juggling Michelangelo, one Sisyphus with his rock, and one commission.

LeSwordfish passes with 48 hours of TF2 map making and 1156 words of tabletop rules.

TheWombatOfDoom passes with Majora’s Mask Point Race episode 7.

Mahonri Violist didn't upload/send me anything.

jseah passes with 6377 words of Hero's War.

Thus, Mahonri Violist FAILS this round!

Glass Mouse, Lycunadari, Allan Dotson, Artman77, LeSwordfish, TheWombatOfDoom, and jseah PASS this round!

Current standing:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Glass Mouse
    Current run: 249 weeks
    Themes: 3 weeks

Lycunadari
    Current run: 134 weeks

Allan Dotson
    Current run: 48 weeks

Cuthalion
    Current run: 20 weeks

Artman77
    Current run: 2 weeks

LeSwordfish

TheWombatOfDoom

Mahonri Violist
    Current run: -
    Longest run: 6 weeks

jseah

This week's theme (August 3 - 9) hasn't been chosen yet, so it is up for grabs.

Next week's theme is chosen by Allan Dotson - let me know in PM or this thread, and I'll include it in the next status.

Quote Originally Posted by jseah View Post
    EDIT:

Ugh, I know that feeling all too well. Hope this week's writing is gonna run more smoothly.
    Spoiler
    Show

Challenge badge

17. - Top - End - #347

Theme: Variation.
    I would recommend this as a two-part theme; one subject and a variation (or multiple variations) of that subject.

18. - Top - End - #348
    Troll in the Playground

I did this the other day, just haven't uploaded yet. That's kinda how my schedule works, uploading lags a little behind production. So I got this theme down already.
    Spoiler: Quote(s)
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Temotei View Post
    You're my favorite.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kneenibble View Post
    I'll kill them! I'll kill all of them!
    Quote Originally Posted by FinnLassie View Post
    We're crashing Wombat's wedding! WITH AN ARMY OF WOMBATS AND BUDGIES.

"So whosoever is a hedgehog let him see to it that his wife is a hedgehog also, and so forth."

19. - Top - End - #349
    Titan in the Playground

Firstly i'm going to upload my first three days work: Two models and a day's detailing on my tf2 map for the final 24 hours of the contest: Before, After.

Which brings me to my next point: i'm out saturday, and have earmarked my (long, long) bus journey on sunday for a chance to get some writing done. My destination has pretty patchy internet, so I might not be able to upload whatever I do until monday - is that okay?

20. - Top - End - #350
    Ettin in the Playground

Majora's Mask Point Race - Episode 8 - Avalanche

(the episode is a variation from the norm we've set, where I've been in the lead. Yey theme.)
    Last edited by TheWombatOfDoom; 2015-08-07 at 06:21 AM.

World Building Projects:
    Magic

21. - Top - End - #351
    Ogre in the Playground

Which brings me to my next point: i'm out saturday, and have earmarked my (long, long) bus journey on sunday for a chance to get some writing done. My destination has pretty patchy internet, so I might not be able to upload whatever I do until monday - is that okay?
    That's fine, Swordfish. And noted :)
    Spoiler
    Show

Challenge badge

22. - Top - End - #352
    Ogre in the Playground

4138 words on Hero's War.

Since Hero's War is going to "stall" for one week on nothing but a Cato's Notes chapter (which have very low word count), I may have a post on the Culture-40k coming up soon. And a prologue/first chapter of a side project.

23. - Top - End - #353
    Titan in the Playground

https://www.dropbox.com/s/xfznlra0qv...eatre.txt?dl=0

Six pages of script to round off the week.
    Last edited by LeSwordfish; 2015-08-10 at 03:27 AM.

24. - Top - End - #354

Uploaded stuff last night, forgot to post link... wingmind.tumblr.com I guess this is the norm and I could put it in my sig...

25. - Top - End - #355
    Ogre in the Playground

Hi peeps. I'm very sorry, but I just got back to my hostel, and my laptop is currently irretrivably in the safe deposit box (I'm writing this on my phone). I'm gonna do the status tomorrow instead. I know, I suck, I'm sorry. Next Monday, I'll make sure to do the status before the fancy-beers pub crawl.
    Spoiler
    Show

Challenge badge

26. - Top - End - #356
    Ettin in the Playground

Hi peeps. I'm very sorry, but I just got back to my hostel, and my laptop is currently irretrivably in the safe deposit box (I'm writing this on my phone). I'm gonna do the status tomorrow instead. I know, I suck, I'm sorry. Next Monday, I'll make sure to do the status before the fancy-beers pub crawl.
    You're totally fine to do it late. The challenge will live with the delay!

World Building Projects:
    Magic

27. - Top - End - #357
    Ogre in the Playground

Status incoming from sad hungover land and many apologies for the delay. The week of August 3 - 9!

Glass Mouse passes with a Genre Unsavvy strip, a background, a fanart, and an RPG character in various versions.

Lycunadari passes with four sky photos, two flower photos, and one water fountain.

Allan Dotson passes with a Critters page, four different lego squads, an erinye, a drow mummy, and a shedu.

Cuthalion passes with two sheets of face sketches, a bird, a... dragon?, and two variations on the same lake reflection.

Artman77 passes with a fantasy commission, and six different orc faces.

LeSwordfish passes with a finished TF2 map, and six pages of scripts.

TheWombatOfDoom passes with a new and exciting lead in Majora's Mask Point Race episode 8.

Mahonri Violist didn't upload/send me anything (again).

jseah passes with 4138 words of Hero's War.

Thus, Mahonri Violist FAILS this round!

Glass Mouse, Lycunadari, Allan Dotson, Artman77, LeSwordfish, TheWombatOfDoom, and jseah PASS this round!

Current standing:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Glass Mouse
    Current run: 250 weeks
    Themes: 4 weeks

Lycunadari
    Current run: 135 weeks

Allan Dotson
    Current run: 49 weeks

Cuthalion
    Current run: 21 weeks

Artman77
    Current run: 3 weeks
    Themes: 3 weeks

LeSwordfish
    Current run: 7 weeks

TheWombatOfDoom

Mahonri Violist
    Current run: -
    Longest run: 6 weeks

jseah

This week's theme (August 10 - 16) hasn't been chosen yet, so it is up for grabs.

Next week's theme is chosen by Cuthalion - let me know in PM or this thread, and I'll include it in the next status.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/xfznlra0qv...eatre.txt?dl=0

Six pages of script to round off the week.
    Damn, transportation time can be downright excellent!

Quote Originally Posted by TheWombatOfDoom View Post
    You're totally fine to do it late. The challenge will live with the delay!
    Thanks, Wombat. It doesn't destroy me to be late, but I still prefer to keep delays to an absolute minimum.
    Spoiler
    Show

Challenge badge

28. - Top - End - #358

Theme grab: Turning Gray

29. - Top - End - #359
    Ogre in the Playground

A Cato's Notes chapter. 2604 words. Not counting the comment at the start.
    Last edited by jseah; 2015-08-15 at 10:47 AM.

30. - Top - End - #360
    Ettin in the Playground

World Building Projects:
    Magic