New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 8 12345678 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Orc in the Playground

Default EVE Online 2: Giant in the Sandbox (Still a terrible game for terrible people)

EVE Online in the Playground
    Or playgrounders in space, what could possibly go wrong?

So last year I posted a thread here to get a corporation of playgrounders going. Back then, I wasn't entirely honest about my goals and myself. I was a member of TEST Alliance Please Ignore and my goal was to form a corporation of playgrounders to join TEST with. This fell through for a couple of reasons, firstly I was starting to get really busy, and secondly I had to run it from an alt. Couple this with me taking a hiatus from the GitP forums and you end up with a whole bunch of dead corporation.

Until today (well a couple of days ago).

I just had a very pleasant conversation with my Alliance CEO and Giant in the Sandbox is on its way into TEST.
    Spoiler
    Show
    (5:21:02 AM) Jack Snipe: I've been talking with Sapporo about forming a corporation. And I would like to try and make my alt corp Giant in the Sandbox into a fully fledged corporation in TEST.
    (5:21:24 AM) Jack Snipe: How would you feel about that?
    (5:28:30 AM) SkierX: everyone and their brother wants a corp now
    (5:28:36 AM) SkierX: I'd have no problem with that though

Cool, but what does this mean for me?
    This means I will be starting recruitment for the all new and improved corporation GITS within the next few days and I'm extending an open invitation to all Playgrounders to come be a Giant in the Sandbox.

Wait... Who are TEST?
    TEST Alliance Please Ignore is an alliance originally based around the corp Dreddit, a corporation for redditors in EVE. Currently TEST has around 10 different corporations and is around 3500 members strong. Alongside our coalition partners Brave Collective and Spaceship Samurai we form the HERO Coalition (and are currently engaged in the noble activity of liberating Catch with hundreds upon hundreds of destroyers).
    Spoiler
    Show

Who knew that you could kill an ihub with enough dessies? Yeah neither did I.

So who will you be recruiting?
    We're primarily going to be recruiting from the Giant in the Playground forums. Giant in the Sandbox will however also pull recruits from EVE University and also the greater EVE community as a whole.

What can you offer?
    GITS. is only still in its formative stage, we're hard at work to make it an amazing part of TEST though, this means that right now we can offer:
    • Free ships for even the lowest SP characters so you can join in on the spacefun.
    • An alliance funded reimbursement program for alliance level fleets.
    • Excellent ways of pilot level income including, but not limited to: ratting (in our freshly liberated space), exploration, wormholes, and incursions.
    • All manner of fleet pvp from small scale gangs to coalition level fleets (often numbering in the hundreds of pilots).
    • A great community, both in-corp and in the alliance we're a part of.

What do you expect of new members?
    While TEST is a very easy-going and casual alliance there are still some rules we as a corporation and alliance enforce.
    • Be an active member of the community, this includes stuff like participating in fleets, chatting in jabber and mumble, and participating on the forums.
    • Have a Full API key in TEST's auth, we need this to keep your and our possessions safe.
    • Be cool. Honestly, we don't have too many requirements as long as you follow TEST's golden rule, "Don't be a [EXPLETIVE DELETED]."

Okay, I'm convinced. How do I join?
    Spoiler
    Show

Yes, I reused an image from my previous post, sue me.

Current Players:
    1. Go to: https://auth.pleaseignore.com/
    2. Create your account and verify your email address.
    3. Add a full API key.
    4. Click on the "HR" tab in Auth and select "Create an application"
    5. Select the Character you wish to apply with and Giant in the Sandbox as the corporation and click "Apply". Having problems? Make sure your API key is set correctly!
    6. Click "Submit Application" and it should take you back to a list of your current applications.
    7. Drop roles.
    8. Wait for an acceptance letter in Auth.
    9. Apply for an invitation to Giant in the Sandbox [GITS.] in game after you have been accepted in Auth.
    10. Wait for an invitation to be extended to you.
    11. Accept the invitation.

New players:
    same as current players, but may I suggest using this link to subscribe your account: http://dft.ba/-evegits. This way you get 7 more days of trial play and we get a plex if you sign up for the game. We'll sell the plex and split the ISK with you 50:50. This will net you around 350M and you'll support the corp for another 350M.

NOTE: Because CCP is terrible we are forced to discontinue the 50:50 split on Recall Program for two reasons: 1. CCP will not give a plex per recall, the second recall each month actually gives a plex, the others are BPC's for Mackinaws (which don't sell well, at all). We also cannot see who Recalled, so we can't guarantee we pay out the right player. I'm really sorry about this, but CCP is -as usual- being CCP about it.

So, who should I get in touch with?
    Currently our corporation contacts are the following:
    Name Playground Account Position
    Jack Snipe Venetian Mask CEO
    CJ Gallante n/a Director
    BoSS Stubbs n/a Director

Wait! I had other questions and you haven't answered them yet!
    Well... It's still a forum, what's stopping you? Ask them below!

Anyway, with that said I hope to see you all in EVE and in corp soon, but regardless. Fly dangerously and most importantly, have fun!
    Last edited by Venetian Mask; 2014-05-10 at 01:50 PM.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: EVE Online 2: Giant in the Sandbox (Still a terrible game for terrible people)

Some of these questions may be out of date as I haven't played since Apocrypha.

1. What are the requirements for returning players?
    2. Are there any faction standing requirements for GITS? For example, my main character can't go into Gallente hi sec.
    3. How much commitment is required to corp/alliance activities?
    4. Related to above, how much would we be expected to contribute to GITS/TEST?
    5. Will we be required to relocate to current TEST territory?
    6. Are there any time zone requirements? If so, what are they?
    7. Will we be required to be completely self sufficient? i.e. GITS corp members will be expected to run funding alts?
    8. Will anything from the information gathered via my full API key invalidate me?
    Last edited by Brother Oni; 2014-05-02 at 07:21 AM.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Orc in the Playground

Default Re: EVE Online 2: Giant in the Sandbox (Still a terrible game for terrible people)

Quote Originally Posted by Brother Oni View Post
    Some of these questions may be out of date as I haven't played since Apocrypha.

1. What are the requirements for returning players?
    2. Are there any faction standing requirements for GITS? For example, my main character can't go into Gallente hi sec.
    3. How much commitment is required to corp/alliance activities?
    4. Related to above, how much would we be expected to contribute to GITS/TEST?
    5. Will we be required to relocate to current TEST territory?
    6. Are there any time zone requirements? If so, what are they?
    7. Will we be required to be completely self sufficient? i.e. GITS corp members will be expected to run funding alts?
    8. Will anything from the information gathered via my full API key invalidate me?
    Good questions, let's see if I can answer them:
    • Returning players have the same requirements as current or new players. We have no skillpoint requirements at all.
    • GITS. is a part of TEST which is primarily a nullsec alliance, we will only enter hisec on very rare occasions (Gallente hate me too because FW )
    • We don't enforce a minimum commitment, participating in the community and on fleets is highly appreciated though. There may also be purges for inactives (people who haven't logged in for x months). If you're caught in a purge you need only reapply when you come back.
    • Like I said above there is no minimum commitment involved with GITS./TEST, instead of enforcing activity through CTA's or minimum monthly kills we try to make joining fleets interesting and fun for our players.
    • Relocating isn't absolutely required, but it's highly advisable if you want to get involved with the corp/alliance.
    • There are no timezone requirements for GITS. While TEST is predominantly an USTZ alliance even during our less active timezones we will have around 100-200 people online in alliance and around twice or thrice that available in the coalition.
    • GITS. and TEST will provide you with some ways of flying free/cheaply. Some of these programs are test_free (free cheap, lowskill ships) and reimbursements (lose a ship during an alliance operation and you get between 50% and 120% of its cost back). Regardless of this some way of making ISK is very much advisable, but we have quite a few vets around who can help you get set up to start making some ISK.
    • The API key is there as a preemptive measure to catch obvious spies and to gather evidence in case we suspect someone of corptheft. Unless you're a goonswarm plant you shouldn't have too much to worry about

Whew, okay that was a bunch of questions. I hope that helped

4. - Top - End - #4
    Titan in the Playground

I've got somewhere in the region of 95mil SP, so I don't think a SP minimum is going to be an issue.

Looking up on the website, I'm going to need a Recall Program link instead, although it's not clear what the rewards are.

If you don't mind, I'd like to try the game again for another week and if I'm still interested, I'll sign up and apply for GITS.

Quote Originally Posted by Venetian Mask View Post
    Whew, okay that was a bunch of questions. I hope that helped
    With regard to the comic you linked, is it still a stereotype if it's true?

5. - Top - End - #5
    Orc in the Playground

I've got somewhere in the region of 95mil SP, so I don't think a SP minimum is going to be an issue.

Looking up on the website, I'm going to need a Recall Program link instead, although it's not clear what the rewards are.

If you don't mind, I'd like to try the game again for another week and if I'm still interested, I'll sign up and apply for GITS.

With regard to the comic you linked, is it still a stereotype if it's true?
    The recall invite (which I've sent to you via PM) rewards the inviter with a plex too from what I can see, so the same rule applies if you sub we're splitting 50% to you and 50% to the corp.

On the topic of the stereotype: you are going to have to apply through TEST's auth, and you are going to have to need an API key on file. Otherwise our recruitment process is incredibly painless, you will get a chat with a recruiter, but that will involve introducing you to TEST and Corp services rather than grilling you for info.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Barbarian in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Semi-serious question, how long does it take to become a Titan pilot?
    Quote Originally Posted by Book of Erotic Fantasy
    Love Life of an Ooze: One ooze. Idiot hits ooze. Two oozes.
    If you use a blood-based McGuffin in a campaign with a vampire PC, plan for what will happen when said PC sticks it in his mouth.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Orc in the Playground

Looking at my alliances skillchecker?

430 days, 80 billion ISK, and a whole load of masochism

8. - Top - End - #8
    Titan in the Playground

Depends on your metric of 'Titan pilot'.

It could be just piloting the thing, piloting it well, or being able to actually fly one.

The first is ~193 days with a brand new character to just pilot the hull and probably another 6 months plus to be able to fit any capital ship modules. The last can't be done with just skills alone.

This is just training the skills, the costs of the skillbooks alone, a hair over 6 (short) billion ISK, is liable to take you years to earn (at current PLEX prices, it's equivalent to 9 PLEXes or ~134GBP/180 USD), and the ship has to be bull in null-sec shipyards, taking the full resources of an entire alliance which can't really be priced well.

Oh god, I'm being sucked in again...

9. - Top - End - #9
    Orc in the Playground

Yesssss... Join us and together we can rule the universe as Mask and Oni.

Also, the new trailer was revealed yesterday. I am pretty psyched.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Titan in the Playground

I was reading one of the end goals was to have DUST 514/Legion players boarding stations and initiating ground invasions while the carriers of EVE:Online launch EVE:Valkyrie fighter pilots in the orbital battle.

I also found this video:

Spoiler: Battle for Caldari Prime
    Show

Let me get this straight, that's a Factional Warfare Catalyst providing orbital support for DUST 514 players?

I wonder if discothons will come back into fashion as fighter screens if they get the Valkyrie integration?

11. - Top - End - #11
    Orc in the Playground

Yes, orbital support for dusties has been in the game for at least half a year now, it's pretty cool, you get killmails! It's also a pretty decent source of LP if you're in faction warfare.

The whole boarding stations and ships thing though? It hasn't been announced yet, it's just something they really, really want to do.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Bugbear in the Playground

I played Eve for a little while and enjoyed it. But with nobody to play with it got pretty boring. I am also not super active and can at best devote one or two nights a week tops to Eve. How much activity does this group look for in its players/how accomodating to my schedule?

13. - Top - End - #13
    Barbarian in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Depends on your metric of 'Titan pilot'.

It could be just piloting the thing, piloting it well, or being able to actually fly one.

The first is ~193 days with a brand new character to just pilot the hull and probably another 6 months plus to be able to fit any capital ship modules. The last can't be done with just skills alone.

This is just training the skills, the costs of the skillbooks alone, a hair over 6 (short) billion ISK, is liable to take you years to earn (at current PLEX prices, it's equivalent to 9 PLEXes or ~134GBP/180 USD), and the ship has to be bull in null-sec shipyards, taking the full resources of an entire alliance which can't really be priced well.

I figured it'd be something ridiculous like that, thanks for confirming it.
    Last edited by Teln; 2014-05-04 at 06:28 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Book of Erotic Fantasy
    Love Life of an Ooze: One ooze. Idiot hits ooze. Two oozes.
    If you use a blood-based McGuffin in a campaign with a vampire PC, plan for what will happen when said PC sticks it in his mouth.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Titan in the Playground

Oh god dammit, I'm getting sucked back into this damn game...I played it for a while, and really liked it. Joined one of the training corps (can't remember which), and then my computer took a dump, and...I still haven't gotten it fixed. But I'd love to get back into it. I'll post more here when I get a working computer and scrape together enough cash for a month or three.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by firedaemon33 View Post
    Oh god dammit, I'm getting sucked back into this damn game...I played it for a while, and really liked it. Joined one of the training corps (can't remember which), and then my computer took a dump, and...I still haven't gotten it fixed. But I'd love to get back into it. I'll post more here when I get a working computer and scrape together enough cash for a month or three.
    When you do, I suggest asking here for a Recall Program link as it will give you an additional 7 days on your old character or if you want to start fresh, use the new players link in the OP as it will extend your trial to 21 days. In both cases, it will give the referring player a PLEX, which Venetian Mask has offered to split the sale of 50:50 with you.

Edit: So I'm on the 7 day trial, half an hour in and I'm already a ship loss and ~140mil down.

Story time for those interested:

Spoiler
    Show
    After figuring out the interface, I find myself in a Hawk and stuff scattered across 30-odd systems (and I have no idea why I have them or how they're even there, much like the night after a party). I decide to go pick them up on my way back to my main base and while warping I see this Loki with a -2.1 sec status pilot in high sec and I figure, might as well watch the fireworks when Concord show up and jam him up.

Instead he tanks the NPCs, locks on and two volleys me, then loots my wreck (while someone else, probably an alt, salvages it). While I'm not too fussed about the ship (never fly what you can can't afford to lose), the various Connections skill books I was taking to sell was annoying, but I'm mainly irritated about the changed mechanics.
    Last edited by Brother Oni; 2014-05-05 at 09:51 AM.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Orc in the Playground

ClericGuy

MUST RESIST TEMPTATION.

I quit finally, finished off in Provi Alliance (CVA, etc). Really liked null-sec and finally made some money...mostly mining, but I just don't have the time. EVE, to me, is not a jump on for an hour kind of game. Heck it will take an hour just to form up a small fleet, so I finally had to stop.

Don't think I'll ever go back, but I did enjoy the game A LOT. I loved the player-driven aspect of it all.
    I''ll stop now as I'm getting an itch in that black hole I call a conscious

17. - Top - End - #17
    Titan in the Playground

I just found and used the Noctis to loot and salvage a L4 GE and it makes me very happy in an extremely board inappropriate manner.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Orc in the Playground

Ah, so you accepted the recall? I expect your app to GITS to come in momentarily.

19. - Top - End - #19

Ah, so you accepted the recall? I expect your app to GITS to come in momentarily.
    I would be interested if you could please answer the questions I asked earlier.

20. - Top - End - #20
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Seatbelt View Post
    I would be interested if you could please answer the questions I asked earlier.
    I think I answered that question multiple times alreadt, don't worry we're more a social alliance than a try-hard alliance so if you can only spend a day or two that's totally fine (I'd suggest idling in the jabber channel though, mostly because that's where fun times happen

EDIT: Never mind, I thought I actually replied to the question, guess Chrome bugged out on me
    Last edited by Venetian Mask; 2014-05-05 at 05:14 PM.

21. - Top - End - #21

I think I answered that question multiple times alreadt, don't worry we're more a social alliance than a try-hard alliance so if you can only spend a day or two that's totally fine (I'd suggest idling in the jabber channel though, mostly because that's where fun times happen

EDIT: Never mind, I thought I actually replied to the question, guess Chrome bugged out on me
    I would be very interested in reactivating my account and giving Eve another shot with your guild.

22. - Top - End - #22
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Seatbelt View Post
    I would be very interested in reactivating my account and giving Eve another shot with your guild.
    Corporation, it's called a corporation, not a guild anyway drop an app in auth (see the first post to figure out what you need to do). I'll send you a pm with your recall link momentarily.

23. - Top - End - #23
    Titan in the Playground

Yeah, I think I'm going to refresh. I remembered who I was training with, and I checked them out. Sadly, they defected from TEST to the Goons while I was away, and I don't want to be associated with those nasty fellas*.

*Insert whatever colorful terms you fancy here.

24. - Top - End - #24
    Orc in the Playground

Hehe, I'm plenty sore at goons for kicking us out of our cozy fountain space but we're with Brave now, the classiest alliance you can find in all of EVE (and basically the cutest of newbro's)

As a matter of interest: what corp were you in before? ENL-I?
    Last edited by Venetian Mask; 2014-05-05 at 05:49 PM.

25. - Top - End - #25
    Titan in the Playground

I've still got 6 days of the trial to decide something blatantly obvious to everyone here, but at least let me do the formality of appraisal.

Edit: Okay, the API interface has significantly changed. Can I ask what API key requirements you need (which categories, expiry date, etc)?
    Last edited by Brother Oni; 2014-05-05 at 06:20 PM.

26. - Top - End - #26
    Titan in the Playground

Hehe, I'm plenty sore at goons for kicking us out of our cozy fountain space but we're with Brave now, the classiest alliance you can find in all of EVE (and basically the cutest of newbro's)

As a matter of interest: what corp were you in before? ENL-I?
    ENL-A. My computer gave out before I could finish the training. But yeah...Basically, I hate the Goons with a passion, mainly because of their history. Suicide-gate and all that. Such things are not okay, no matter who you are.

27. - Top - End - #27
    Ettin in the Playground

I've been considering returning to the game myself in about a month or two (I'm moving, and need an accurate account of my actual expenses (as opposed to projected) before I can devote any money.) I've got a mining barge and am able to fly Gallente crusiers (although not particularly well, my combat skills aren't quite where they need to be.) I've mostly spent time running missions and mining in high-to-mid sec, but was planning to move to low-to-null eventually.

28. - Top - End - #28
    Orc in the Playground

I've still got 6 days of the trial to decide something blatantly obvious to everyone here, but at least let me do the formality of appraisal.

Edit: Okay, the API interface has significantly changed. Can I ask what API key requirements you need (which categories, expiry date, etc)?
    Full API, which means: tick all the boxes. You need to make it nonexpiry as well (mostly so the API doesn't cycle halfway through your membership as that would instantly remove all of your service accesses)

Quote Originally Posted by firedaemon33 View Post
    ENL-A. My computer gave out before I could finish the training. But yeah...Basically, I hate the Goons with a passion, mainly because of their history. Suicide-gate and all that. Such things are not okay, no matter who you are.
    Yeah, I know. If ever there was a [EXPLETIVE REMOVED] move, the whole Mittanigate certainly was one. As a point of reference, last time someone threatened suicide to our CEO, he responded by petitioning CCP instead of ridiculing him (he got woken up by the police knocking on his door to ask him if he was feeling okay).

CCP takes that really seriously, props to them

29. - Top - End - #29
    Titan in the Playground

Indeed. Well, this summer, once I get my desktop fixed, I'll look into joining up. I'm not a bad shot, actually. Sadly, I have the most experience with short-range railguns and destroyers...Which aren't exactly safe things. Still, I hope you've got room for a newish person in there.

30. - Top - End - #30
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Gnoman View Post
    I've been considering returning to the game myself in about a month or two (I'm moving, and need an accurate account of my actual expenses (as opposed to projected) before I can devote any money.) I've got a mining barge and am able to fly Gallente crusiers (although not particularly well, my combat skills aren't quite where they need to be.) I've mostly spent time running missions and mining in high-to-mid sec, but was planning to move to low-to-null eventually.
    Looking at Jita, prices are ~715mil for a PLEX - if you can earn that much every 30 days, you can effectively treat the game as a free to play.

At current trit prices of 4.9ISK, that's ~146mil units or 48.5mil veldspar, so the question is, how much of a hardcore miner are you?

Full API, which means: tick all the boxes. You need to make it nonexpiry as well (mostly so the API doesn't cycle halfway through your membership as that would instantly remove all of your service accesses)
    Cool, I'll get that sorted some time this week as I really should have gone to bed an hour ago but instead I'm catching up on the mechanics changes and playing around with EFT and Eve-mon.

Help me.
    Last edited by Brother Oni; 2014-05-05 at 06:46 PM.