New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 14 of 24 FirstFirst ... 4567891011121314151617181920212223 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #391
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Thanqol Learns To Draw IV: NO EXCUSES

Ten hours sleep? No wonder you don't have time for anything.

2. - Top - End - #392
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Tiki Snakes View Post
    It does explain why everything is so well thought-out. I keep forgetting that sleep is actually kinda necessary for the good functioning.
    I'm developing a game. Let's see what happens! Complex.

3. - Top - End - #393
    Titan in the Playground

I find that I end up posting a fair bit during work. It's a good way to take a 5-10 minute break without being away if something comes up, though it makes it hard to get the long, engaged posts done.
    School Fox by Atlur

Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    Anarion's right on the money here.
    Quotes

"Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth.”
    Oscar Wilde Writer & Poet (1891)

4. - Top - End - #394
    Colossus in the Playground

It sounds like a crazy waste but it's simply the best decision I make in any given day. The difference between being constantly well rested and constantly tired is incredible.

Quote Originally Posted by Anarion View Post
    I find that I end up posting a fair bit during work. It's a good way to take a 5-10 minute break without being away if something comes up, though it makes it hard to get the long, engaged posts done.
    Yeah, pretty much. Can't put in anything deep at work and some games ask for deep.

5. - Top - End - #395
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Thanqol View Post
    It sounds like a crazy waste but it's simply the best decision I make in any given day. The difference between being constantly well rested and constantly tired is incredible.
    I'm envious. But it does sound like a bit of a waste unless you really need all those 10 hours to be well rested, though I don't know how common that is. IIRC adults sleeping much longer or shorter than seven hours has also been linked to higher mortality too.
    Last edited by Madcrafter; 2014-10-30 at 05:37 PM.
    Devoted artificer of the church of Scorching Ray.

6. - Top - End - #396
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Madcrafter View Post
    I'm envious. But it does sound like a bit of a waste unless you really need all those 10 hours to be well rested, though I don't know how common that is. IIRC adults sleeping much longer or shorter than sever hours has also been linked to higher mortality too.
    He's fine. The thing that causes heart attacks is under sleeping on weekdays and then crashing hard and sleeping more than 10 hours on weekends.
    Last edited by Anarion; 2014-10-30 at 04:53 PM.
    School Fox by Atlur

Quotes

"Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth.”

7. - Top - End - #397
    Ogre in the Playground

He's fine. The thing that causes heart attacks is under sleeping on weekdays and then crashing hard and sleeping more than 10 hours on weekends.
    The literature would appear to disagree [1] [2] [3] [4] [5], though it doesn't seem anyone knows why it is the case. Perhaps it's usually symptomatic of an underlying issue or the like. The studies also looked at middle aged and older participants I think, so it might not be such a concern to young adults.

I definitely do the short sleep on weekdays, long on Sundays though. Mostly in winter; it's just too comfortable to get out of bed.
    Last edited by Madcrafter; 2014-10-30 at 05:54 PM.

8. - Top - End - #398
    Titan in the Playground

Anything more than eight hours feels not only a bit decadent, but also less restful than a reasonable 8 to me, and that gives a whole two hours extra existence. Admittedly I've regularly enough got less than eight, by quite a way, that I've had to make a serious effort to push the average back up for health reasons, but still. Ten as anything other than a catching-up/rare treat sounds like a lot of lost time for little additional benefit. A real diminishing returns thing, you know?

For me, at any rate.

9. - Top - End - #399
    Titan in the Playground

Anything more than eight hours feels not only a bit decadent, but also less restful than a reasonable 8 to me, and that gives a whole two hours extra existence. Admittedly I've regularly enough got less than eight, by quite a way, that I've had to make a serious effort to push the average back up for health reasons, but still. Ten as anything other than a catching-up/rare treat sounds like a lot of lost time for little additional benefit. A real diminishing returns thing, you know?

For me, at any rate.
    I really like 8.5ish when I can get it, but I average closer to 7. Weirdly, there's a point around 6.5 where I feel the most exhausted, much more exhausted than if I sleep only 5, which I've done a few times right near big hearings for work.
    School Fox by Atlur

Quotes

10. - Top - End - #400
    Titan in the Playground

Plus, it's important to remember that sleep - like all areas of health - vary wildly from person to person. Two people of the same age can require different amounts of sleep to get the same benefits.
    I'm developing a game. Let's see what happens! Complex.

11. - Top - End - #401
    Banned

Anything more than eight hours feels not only a bit decadent, but also less restful than a reasonable 8 to me, and that gives a whole two hours extra existence.
    As the resident night pony for the greater part of the last decade, what y'all are missing is that length of sleep is a single variable which must be counted against when you sleep and how long you've been awake.

Nature has this stuff figured out, yo. Y'all are set to dance to her oven timer. Each of you is a hand-crafted and delicate timepiece with your own flaws and internal foibles that make you so beautiful that one day I'll have to dissassemble you all and examine your constituent pieces, maybe wear your face for a while to see how it sits.

I really like 8.5ish when I can get it, but I average closer to 7. Weirdly, there's a point around 6.5 where I feel the most exhausted, much more exhausted than if I sleep only 5, which I've done a few times right near big hearings for work.
    That too! Sleep itself is not only your off button, leaving you comfortably unmoving or at times terrified and incapable of breathing while literal night terrors deep into the world before your wakeful eyes before the body catches up. No, it's also a fluctuating process like a diminishing sine wave. You will enter deep sleep, then rise up to a dream-state, then descend into deep sleep again, then rise up again, etc., based on your circadian rhythm (which could be anywhere from 22 to 26 hours!) and your atunement with the physical day, and sensitivity to that atunement. It's fully possible to sleep for five hours and feel jazzy when you've been awake for forteen, but five hours sleep when you've been awake forteen and a half could leave you feeling poopy. And unlike the dearest belief of our fair Princess, seep at night is physically more restful, while longer, more solid sleeps during the daylight hours don't do as much for you at all.

Personally, 5, 8.5 or 11 work best, with 5 being my oddly functional but unable to go the distance number, and anything between is going to destroy me on a soul level.

12. - Top - End - #402

Day 1268: Might Just Disappear

Been drawing a lot of inhuman shapes lately and finding myself really enjoying it. It's a really nice break!

Anyway, a bunch of timesinks are paid off in full and drawing is near the top of the schedule again - I hope!

Links

Music: Ghost

13. - Top - End - #403
    Titan in the Playground

Day 1268: Might Just Disappear

Been drawing a lot of inhuman shapes lately and finding myself really enjoying it. It's a really nice break!

Anyway, a bunch of timesinks are paid off in full and drawing is near the top of the schedule again - I hope!

Links

Music: Ghost
    I like how that music video suddenly popped up for everybody all at once. So interesting.

Sketch is good, the feel of the bulky robot is good. It has that lumbering, slow aesthetic.
    School Fox by Atlur

Quotes

14. - Top - End - #404

I like how that music video suddenly popped up for everybody all at once. So interesting.
    Dude that is literally how the internet works.

Sketch is good, the feel of the bulky robot is good. It has that lumbering, slow aesthetic.
    And now for the opposite!

Day 1269: Unfriendly.BOT

Pure design from shapes and imagination, inspired by IG88. Really like how this stuff is turning out.

Links

15. - Top - End - #405

Day 1270: Terrible People

Did some surprisingly good P&P sketches.

Also our Night's Black Agents game had some great lines: (These are not the worst)

"I imagine God is a bit like Stalin."
    "So, we're anti-vaccination terrorists who think Hitler had a few good ideas."

Day 1271: EGVS

Art is a strange thing.

Links

16. - Top - End - #406

Day 1272: Woot Woot Woot

When Welcome To Night Vale is having a good day, it's really good.

Links

17. - Top - End - #407

Day 1273: New Worlds

Somewhere out there is a version of me that never discovered Europa Universalis. He's probably a senator by now.

Day 1274: Cybergunk

I'm really happy with how this turned out, I nailed the design I think. Gonna put some more days into this if I can.

Links

18. - Top - End - #408
    Troll in the Playground

I want to see you make a finished piece in an hour. I think you're getting a bit too used to sketches, so even your "fancy" ones you work on for a few days don't look like finished works. To me.
    Spoiler: Quote(s)
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Temotei View Post
    You're my favorite.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kneenibble View Post
    I'll kill them! I'll kill all of them!
    Quote Originally Posted by FinnLassie View Post
    We're crashing Wombat's wedding! WITH AN ARMY OF WOMBATS AND BUDGIES.

"So whosoever is a hedgehog let him see to it that his wife is a hedgehog also, and so forth."

19. - Top - End - #409
    Firbolg in the Playground

You know... this would be a pretty damn good way to learn to draw... And I have always wanted to be able to draw...
    My Homebrew
    Five-time champion of the GITP monster competition!

Current Projects:
    Crossroads: the New World: A pathfinder campaign setting about an alternate history of North America, where five empire collide in a magical land full of potential. On the road to publication!

Epic Avatar and Sigitar by AlterForm
    Spoiler
    Show

20. - Top - End - #410
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Admiral Squish View Post
    You know... this would be a pretty damn good way to learn to draw... And I have always wanted to be able to draw...
    Try it. It seems to be working to a certain extent with me.
    Show
    You're my favorite.

"So whosoever is a hedgehog let him see to it that his wife is a hedgehog also, and so forth."

21. - Top - End - #411
    Ogre in the Playground

Day 1273: New Worlds

Somewhere out there is a version of me that never discovered Europa Universalis. He's probably a senator by now.

Day 1274: Cybergunk

I'm really happy with how this turned out, I nailed the design I think. Gonna put some more days into this if I can.

Links
    I got IV a few weeks back. Time was eaten.

Robot looks cool, but I can't help but think that it will have trouble walking on those legs.

Quote Originally Posted by Cuthalion View Post
    I want to see you make a finished piece in an hour. I think you're getting a bit too used to sketches, so even your "fancy" ones you work on for a few days don't look like finished works. To me.
    Going fast like that takes a lot of practice though. I don't think a piece he does in an hour would look as finished as one he took some time on.

22. - Top - End - #412
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Madcrafter View Post
    Going fast like that takes a lot of practice though. I don't think a piece he does in an hour would look as finished as one he took some time on.
    It doesn't even have to be color.
    Show
    You're my favorite.

23. - Top - End - #413

Quote Originally Posted by Cuthalion View Post
    Years one through three were all this, all the time. This year is the exception and I feel like I'm learning a lot from it. These are not intended to be finished works, they're learning experiments. I'm trying to find the intersection between speed, quality and style that works for me.

Do it filly!

24. - Top - End - #414
    Firbolg in the Playground

Do it filly!
    I kept trying to argue against it in my brain, but eventually I realized I was making excuses.
    Doodling ahoy!
    My Homebrew
    Five-time champion of the GITP monster competition!

Current Projects:
    Crossroads: the New World: A pathfinder campaign setting about an alternate history of North America, where five empire collide in a magical land full of potential. On the road to publication!

Epic Avatar and Sigitar by AlterForm
    Spoiler
    Show

25. - Top - End - #415

I kept trying to argue against it in my brain, but eventually I realized I was making excuses.
    Doodling ahoy!
    Awesome. Remember, the simple rule is one picture, every day, no excuses. The picture can be a smiley face done in marker on the back of your hand if you want, the point is that you do it which then naturally leads you towards doing something better tomorrow.

It is so important to do that tiny, ugly stick figure because that keeps the number ticking. When you stop entirely you might take a break for a week or more and then never come back to it. That's how projects die.

So, every day. No excuses.

26. - Top - End - #416
    Ogre in the Playground

It is so important to do that tiny, ugly stick figure because that keeps the number ticking. When you stop entirely you might take a break for a week or more and then never come back to it. That's how projects die.
    How I see it. Just replace alcoholism with drawing/not drawing. I missed a day once and it sucked; starting at 1 again is disheartening even if it does give you a fresh start.

That was the only clip I could find of that scene for some reason.
    Last edited by Madcrafter; 2014-11-08 at 07:40 PM.

27. - Top - End - #417

Dang. Grim.

Day 1274: Bugbot

Trying the wetbrush on the same layer as my fady linework. Actually kind of liking it.

Links

Music: Imbalance

28. - Top - End - #418

Day 1275: Growing Colder

Oh my gosh, Over The Garden Wall was fantastic. Google it, watch it, gush about it. Oh my gosh!

Links

29. - Top - End - #419

Day 1276: XTD

Just when I thought I'd escaped Exalted 2E it pulls me back in.

Day 1277: Bugbot Advance

I need to find some more time to study art, I feel like I'm repeating the motions with this. That's next on the list.

Links

30. - Top - End - #420

Day 1278: Misc Robots

:T

Links