New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 12 of 51 FirstFirst ... 234567891011121314151617181920212237 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #331
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: MitD VIII: Everything we know about MITD (but were afraid Tarrasque)

Quote Originally Posted by littlebum2002 View Post
    Grey, I asked a question above after you already answered. IS there a reason the Phrenic template doesn't appear in any of the lists? I'm sure I'm not the first person to think of it, but it could be added to any number of "strong" monsters to give them access to Teleport/
    Err... It's in 2d: Templated/Mixed lineage Creature. Where did you look for it?

GW
    Interested in MitD? Join us in MitD's thread.
    There is a world of imagination
    Deep in the corners of your mind
    Where reality is an intruder
    And myth and legend thrive
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Ceterum autem censeo Hilgya malefica est

2. - Top - End - #332
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: MitD VIII: Everything we know about MITD (but were afraid Tarrasque)

Oh, I was just looking in section 3, since I would think the various templates would be "frequently proposed ideas".

I knew I remember reading why templates were off the table, I just couldn't find it. Thanks!

3. - Top - End - #333
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    You misunderstand the comment; The "telepath" explanation does away with any Knowledge (Thing) skills being mandated; he would know about the half ritual from Redcloak's thoughts, and know about the Astral Plane from Xykon's thoughts.
    Both Redcloak's thoughts?
    I like semicolons; they make me feel smart.

4. - Top - End - #334
    Ettin in the Playground

RangerGuy

http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0194.html

In #194, the lantern archons refuse to light up MitD, and they even appear to be scared of him. They also called him a 'masochistic freak'.

5. - Top - End - #335
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by goto124 View Post
    http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0194.html

In #194, the lantern archons refuse to light up MitD, and they even appear to be scared of him. They also called him a 'masochistic freak'.
    Im pretty sure that's because he was asking to be hit with rays of light that had been described as "deadly", rather than because they could identify his monster type through the darkness.
    “Evil is evil. Lesser, greater, middling, it's all the same. Proportions are negotiated, boundaries blurred. I'm not a pious hermit, I haven't done only good in my life. But if I'm to choose between one evil and another, then I prefer not to choose at all.”

6. - Top - End - #336
    Orc in the Playground

BarbarianGuy

What if MitD is in fact The Giant in our little playground/the GM
    The first rule of gaming, before you have even chosen the game is and always should be

HAVE FUN

(FUN being defined as it is in dwarf fortress)

7. - Top - End - #337
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by braveheart View Post
    Not really possible, Rich has said that MitD isn't something unique to this story:

Quote Originally Posted by Rich Burlew
    That is, it isn't something I just made up for the story. It wouldn't be any fun for the answer to a mystery to be something I invented just for one purpose, would it? I won't finally throw back the darkness and have someone say, "Look! It was a therblewurkersaurus the entire time!" or some other made-up monster.
    I realize that the line between something I made up and something someone else made up is a pretty fine one, but I trust that someone will figure it out eventually.
    Last edited by AgentPaper; 2014-12-22 at 06:02 PM.
    Excellent avatar by Elder Tsofu.

8. - Top - End - #338
    Dwarf in the Playground

HalflingPirate

Technically Rich wasn't made up by himself.

9. - Top - End - #339
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Steven View Post
    Technically Rich wasn't made up by himself.
    No, but his in-universe avatar would be.

10. - Top - End - #340
    Ogre in the Playground

Umm, the in-universe avatar of anything would be unique to the story.

11. - Top - End - #341

AssassinGuy

Somewhere upthread, someone has addressed the fact that MitD seemingly has a poor memory (doesn't recognize Haley and Belkar at first when they come for Roy's body, as well as "Gate? What Gate?"), correct? But I can't seem to find it, nor what that might imply.

Little help?
    Last edited by Darth Paul; 2014-12-24 at 09:47 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Grey_Wolf_c View Post
    Also, everything Darth Paul just said.
    Namer Of MitD Threads
    Charter Member and Head Ninja of Peelee's Lotsey Ninjas
    [furiously scribbles notes on how Darth Paul is the MitD]

12. - Top - End - #342
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by braveheart View Post
    I know that people can be pretty self-deprecating, but portraying yourself as a foul-smelling eater of moldy cheeseburgers and vulture stew, who sets up tea parties with corpses, plans on devouring an adventuring party, paying for things with monopoly money, can't fit into even the largest leotards, makes people throw up when they see it, and making these clues to your identity? I'm just not seeing it.

I doubt Rich would look at that list of traits and say, "dang, that's a great caricature of the way I really am! Someone is sure to figure out it's me -- I'm sure the vomit-inducing ugliness and moldy rotten cheeseburger eating will give away that it is indeed the author!"

Actually, I find the suggestion that Mr. Burlew makes a good fit for a horribly ugly, malodorous, ludicrously stupid, garbage-eating monster to be incredibly offensive.
    Spoiler
    Show

So the song runs on, with shift and change,
    Through the years that have no name,
    And the late notes soar to a higher range,
    But the theme is still the same.
    Man's battle-cry and the guns' reply
    Blend in with the old, old rhyme
    That was traced in the score of the strata marks
    While millenniums winked like campfire sparks
    Down the winds of unguessed time. -- 4th Stanza, The Bad Lands, Badger Clark

13. - Top - End - #343
    Troll in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Not that I think for one moment that "Rich Burlew" is a possibility, but that seems like a harsh assessment of the MitD, who I always understood to be a pretty popular character.
    Spoiler: Quotes
    Show
    Also, as a rule of thumb, if you find yourself defending your inalienable right to make someone else feel like garbage, you're on the wrong side of the argument.
    Quote Originally Posted by oppyu View Post
    There is nothing more emblematic of this forum than three or four pages of debate between people who, as it turns out, pretty much agree with each other.

Check this game out! Or at least give it a thumbs up.
    Why "because the plot said so" is not a good answer.

14. - Top - End - #344
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by ti'esar View Post
    Not that I think for one moment that "Rich Burlew" is a possibility, but that seems like a harsh assessment of the MitD, who I always understood to be a pretty popular character.
    Villains tend to be popular characters as well. That doesn't necessarily mean that comparisons to a real person would be flattering.
    “Evil is evil. Lesser, greater, middling, it's all the same. Proportions are negotiated, boundaries blurred. I'm not a pious hermit, I haven't done only good in my life. But if I'm to choose between one evil and another, then I prefer not to choose at all.”

15. - Top - End - #345

Same here. If I had to think of a quick description of MitD, it would be something like "kind-hearted yet clueless orphan of mysterious appearance & heritage, who is in the process of discovering his vast potential." Which is a very different impression than "smelly necro-play-acting freak."

So, I don't think that suggesting that MitD=Giant is offensive (though I certainly don't think that MitD=Giant is true, either).
    Last edited by Bird; 2014-12-26 at 05:23 PM.

16. - Top - End - #346
    Ettin in the Playground

MitD is a good character, not a good person. Just because you enjoy reading about him doesn't mean you'd necessarily like to have him live next door.

17. - Top - End - #347
    Orc in the Playground

Daemon

I know it is highly unlikely, and has probably already been both mentioned and debunked, but I just want to suggest that perhaps he is an empyrean? Perhaps disfigured so much that he is hardly recognizable, to the point that the big game hunters in SoD couldn't properly identify him? It would help explain why he can't see gates (divine) and why he has been to the astral plane (slain and re-animated by divine parent).

P.S. He can also possibly change weather (mentioned in empyrean's section as one of their abilities) and he said that Miko's attacks "tickled", if her swords were infused with divine magic it would probably be like getting tickled if you are an empyrean. Also I'm new to the DnD scene and don't know if empyreans were around when Rich created MitD so sorry if I suggested a later concept, and I have also noticed that empyreans are both huge and have high Wis scores, contradicting two major facts about MitD, he can fit under an umbrella and appears to have low wisdom.
    Last edited by AbyssStalker; 2014-12-26 at 06:34 PM.

18. - Top - End - #348
    Troll in the Playground

I like the MitD myself, and I think he's well on his way towards being one of the "good guys."

Still, he has a lot of pretty repellent traits, and I at least wouldn't like to hear "gee, all the characteristics of the MitD match you perfectly, Bulldog Psion!" I feel that it's courteous to extend the same to Mr. Burlew -- that is not, not saying that his avatar in the strip is a garbage-eating, hideously ugly monstrosity with a good heart.

I don't know how to make my position any plainer; most likely, I'm talking nonsense, as usual.
    Spoiler
    Show

19. - Top - End - #349

AssassinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by AgentPaper View Post
    MitD is a good character, not a good person. Just because you enjoy reading about him doesn't mean you'd necessarily like to have him live next door.
    O'Chul expressly told him, after months living in the cage next to him, that he is "a good man." Species aside, I'd say that must make MitD a good person as well. Witness his actions in rescuing O'Chul and Vaarsuvius moments later.
    Quote Originally Posted by Grey_Wolf_c View Post
    Also, everything Darth Paul just said.
    Namer Of MitD Threads
    Charter Member and Head Ninja of Peelee's Lotsey Ninjas
    [furiously scribbles notes on how Darth Paul is the MitD]

20. - Top - End - #350
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Darth Paul View Post
    O'Chul expressly told him, after months living in the cage next to him, that he is "a good man." Species aside, I'd say that must make MitD a good person as well. Witness his actions in rescuing O'Chul and Vaarsuvius moments later.
    Good is perhaps the wrong word. Pleasant would be better. I could maybe possibly tolerate him as my neighbor, but I would not allow my hypothetical children over to his house.

21. - Top - End - #351
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by AbyssStalker View Post
    I know it is highly unlikely, and has probably already been both mentioned and debunked, but I just want to suggest that perhaps he is an empyrean? Perhaps disfigured so much that he is hardly recognizable, to the point that the big game hunters in SoD couldn't properly identify him? It would help explain why he can't see gates (divine) and why he has been to the astral plane (slain and re-animated by divine parent).

P.S. He can also possibly change weather (mentioned in empyrean's section as one of their abilities) and he said that Miko's attacks "tickled", if her swords were infused with divine magic it would probably be like getting tickled if you are an empyrean. Also I'm new to the DnD scene and don't know if empyreans were around when Rich created MitD so sorry if I suggested a later concept, and I have also noticed that empyreans are both huge and have high Wis scores, contradicting two major facts about MitD, he can fit under an umbrella and appears to have low wisdom.
    I'm sorry, but I don't know what an Empyrean is. You described some stuff about it, but not what it is. Considering you referenced stats, could you point us to what book it is from?

22. - Top - End - #352
    Ettin in the Playground

RangerGuy

Default I'm not entirely serious, to be honest

empyreans are both huge and have high Wis scores, contradicting two major facts about MitD, he can fit under an umbrella and appears to have low wisdom.
    1) Huge umbrella
    2) High Wis, low Int
    Last edited by goto124; 2014-12-27 at 02:22 AM. Reason: uranus *snort*

23. - Top - End - #353
    Orc in the Playground

Daemon

Quote Originally Posted by rweird View Post
    I'm sorry, but I don't know what an Empyrean is. You described some stuff about it, but not what it is. Considering you referenced stats, could you point us to what book it is from?
    It is on page 130 in the 5th edition monster manual, again I'm a new player so if anyone with older edition books could check if it is in them I would appreciate it greatly.

24. - Top - End - #354

It is on page 130 in the 5th edition monster manual, again I'm a new player so if anyone with older edition books could check if it is in them I would appreciate it greatly.
    According to the wikipedia list of 5e monsters, Empyrean is the new name (or a new name?) for titans, which have certainly been around since D&D's dark ages.

Titan is in the list of proposed monsters:

Pros: High Strength, mythologically, the Titan Uranus ate his children.
    Cons: The only way to rescue O'Chul is by using Maze, which fits badly. It wouldn't be surprising it can talk.
    Last edited by Bird; 2014-12-26 at 11:41 PM.

25. - Top - End - #355
    Halfling in the Playground

ElfWarriorGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Bird View Post
    According to the wikipedia list of 5e monsters, Empyrean is the new name (or a new name?) for titans, which have certainly been around since D&D's dark ages.

Titan is in the list of proposed monsters:

After reading the text I would say that the chaotic character fits pretty well, as well as the moments of bad temper (as shown when Haley and Belkar tried to rescue Roy and O´Chul).
    The size of the MiTD eyes is enormous, so it would give as well a hint.
    Producing earthquakes is apparently among his possibilities.
    It is a well known creature out of the D&D world, considered God likes in classic Greek culture.

As far as it comes to Xykon making him eat children, it can be an attempt on passing him into the CE side.

I don´t know about the spells a Titan can make, but being so powerful, would a Wish rather than maze be a possibility for the teleport?

As for the language, the only explanation I can think of is that MiTD would be too young to speak by human patterns.
    Last edited by Brumagris; 2014-12-27 at 02:06 AM.

26. - Top - End - #356
    Titan in the Playground

Link to the 3.5 version of the Titan

Quote Originally Posted by Brumagris View Post
    The size of the MiTD eyes is enormous, so it would give as well a hint.
    No, they are not. They are about the size of Large characters (Ogre), not Huge (Titan).

It is a well known creature out of the D&D world,
    But we have no indication that MitD is well known.

considered God likes in classic Greek culture.
    Not at all? Rich did kill all the Greek Gods.

I don´t know about the spells a Titan can make, but being so powerful, would a Wish rather than maze be a possibility for the teleport?
    No, titans cannot cast wish anymore than they can cast teleport.

Grey Wolf
    Interested in MitD? Join us in MitD's thread.
    There is a world of imagination
    Deep in the corners of your mind
    Where reality is an intruder
    And myth and legend thrive
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Ceterum autem censeo Hilgya malefica est

27. - Top - End - #357
    Troll in the Playground

Not to mention that a titan is just a giant human in Greek attire, IIRC, by D&D standards. Having a big stick figure instead of a small stick figure as the MitD would be beyond anticlimactic, IMO.
    Spoiler
    Show

28. - Top - End - #358
    Orc in the Playground

Daemon

[QUOTE=Grey_Wolf_c;18580712]Link to the 3.5 version of the Titan

Grey_Wolf_c Not at all? Rich did kill all the Greek Gods.

Maybe not all of their children though *wink* *wink*

Sorry about posting a pre-mentioned idea though, I just saw that a large amount of the abilities lined up with MitD, would be a twist if MitD was a greek descendant though, he did say he has "always" been in the rain-forest, perhaps since it was made after the snarl tore apart the first world, a god may have put MitD there because they just couldn't let him die but he annoyed them to much.

But then again, there are multiple things that don't line up, so make of it what you will, thanks for reading.

P.S. Sorry I messed up the quote thing, that quote up there is Grey Wolf's

P.S.S. And he does mention that he enjoys the fresh air, the old world appears to be mainly water (although we don't know if that is because of the snarl or what), Empyrean's don't age, so MitD may just have started off immature and never have a reason to immature because of the inability to age and the fact that nothing would ever give him a reason to wise up, he could kick their ass in a heart-beat. Perhaps him seeing the Snarl obliterate the greek pantheon traumatized him to the point that he became like a child and he represses the memory so hard he doesn't even SEE the gates.
    Last edited by AbyssStalker; 2014-12-27 at 08:53 AM.

29. - Top - End - #359
    Ogre in the Playground

The problem is there's a lot of plot speculation in the idea, and not much in the way of checking if it fits the big scenes.

30. - Top - End - #360
    Ogre in the Playground

As for titans, I'd like to say two things. Firstly, if they have this alternate name "Empyrean", then you might want to mention that in the first posts next to Titan to make it easier to search. Secondly, the Giant is clearly aware of Titans (by their old name): firstly, one of the levels on this forum is "Titan on the Playground", secondly, he's mentioned them in context of DnD rules.