Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #181
    Troll in the Playground

Default Re: Can any spell hurt it?

or, you could... Pee on this beast.

2. - Top - End - #182

Quote Originally Posted by Swordguy View Post
    Got it! Eschew Materials feat + Major Creation.

There's no book value listed for either Osmium or it's antimatter counterpart. Just summon Anti-Osmium to the limit of your casting ability in contact with the critter. (Point of order: given an Earth-equivalent density, and assuming it has the DR of rock at all points, it takes a 17th level caster to summon enough Anti-Osmium to fragment the planet. Imagine what a 50th could do.)

EDIT:
    Osmium is 22610 kg/cubic meter. A 50th level caster summons 50 cubic feet, or a cube 3.7 feet to a side. This converts over to be roughly 15.25 cubic meters, for a final density of 344,802 kg. 1 gram of antimatter produces roughly a 43 kiloton reaction (doubling once the matter is added into the equation, so the detonation of 1g of AM in contact with 1g of matter is 86kt). We have 344,802,500 grams of anti-osmium, for a total yield of 29,653,015,000,000 kilotons. (these are metric tons of 1,000kg each, for a total of 29,653,015,000,000,000 kiloGRAMS of TNT) 1 lb of TNT does 3d6 damage, or, converting over, 0.454 kg of TNT does 3d6 damage. So, dividing 29,653,015,000,000,000 by 0.454 yields 65,315,011,013,215,859 increments of 3d6. So, multiply by three, and get 195,945,033,039,647,577d6 damage.

Congratulations, you've just done 195 quadrillion damage minimum. Your average damage is 685,807,615,638,766,519 hp.

685 quadrillion hp damage. That ought to blow through most DR. And it's not fire damage (even though TNT is usually thought of that way). It's just plain old force damage.
    Pardon me if someone has already asked this, but...

How are you avoiding that damage yourself? Major Creation is a close range spell. A 30 petaton yield is going to have one hell of a blast radius, and a level 50 caster can stand, at most, 150 feet away.

EDIT for reference: Little Boy was 16 kilotons, exploded nearly 2000 feet in the air, and leveled an entire city.
    Last edited by Corolinth; 2007-06-11 at 10:37 PM.

3. - Top - End - #183
    Troll in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Quickened (as the rod) ethereal jaunt? Contingent Tele? All sorts of movement methods.

4. - Top - End - #184
    Titan in the Playground

Earthquake could affect it, as mentioned before. Cast twenty of them, the beast will fail its save on average once (reflex 1 = autofail).

Some creative uses of Illusory Wall might work as well. A variation on the Tarrasque Pit Trap could result in a dead beast.

EDIT: One other spell: Reverse Gravity. No saving throw. It has the possibility of securing itself with a reflex save, but this might not be possible. It thwacks into the ceiling, then falls to the ground, taking damage both times. It would be pretty minor damage, but it would be damage. The only thing is if it can fly, the spell won't work.
    Last edited by Telonius; 2007-06-12 at 12:09 PM.

5. - Top - End - #185
    Ogre in the Playground

Just quick off the top of my head...I do believe a nat 1 on a save fails, correct? Just gate in ONE solar, and just plunk the thing with greater arrows of slaying. It will get a one sometime....

6. - Top - End - #186
    Pixie in the Playground

Can this monstrosity fly or hover?

If you answered "No", engage it in an open field, and lob a Grenade of Reverse Gravity (Wondrous Item) into its mouth. Watch it fly to the top of the stratosphere in 1 round (you might have to dispel the spell effect early, though) and fall down again. Watch it suffer massive falling damage. Then rinse, lather, repeat. :P Alternatively, ward the entire ground area around it with that spell and watch it rinse, lather, and repeat itself.

Reverse Gravity is an area spell with no SR and no applicable save at all in open ground. It is a 7th level Sorcerer/Wizard spell that, for Epic characters, can be easily Quickened.

Seriously, though, it sounds to me that you're basically looking for a Scripted Encounter with an Epic Boss Character and an Epic NPC Hero, but want to look for a legitimate way for the fight to proceed to appease the players. Unfortunately, with the current stats that Boss Character has, it's very difficult to do, especially with how flimsy Epic Rules are.

But you're the DM, and you don't necessarily have to follow legitimacy to the letter. What you can do, whether it's your NPC Hero or your PCs that'll be fighting it, is to create a specific Legendary Item or two designed solely to aid that fight alone (the Kael'thas Sunstrider Boss Fight comes to mind here). For example, the NPC Hero can be wielding a Longsword that has Force Enchantment, is +10, casts Greater Shout additionally every swing (Sonic immunity equipment on your NPC hero also helps), and can disable one of its abilities so the PCs can help out as well (such as subduing its Spell Reflection or Spell Resistance automatically every swing).

You don't even have to let your PCs keep it; It can be attuned to that one boss and vanish/shatter when it dies. It's your call.
    Last edited by Cybaster; 2007-07-13 at 07:27 PM.
    : "My name is Miko...Miko Miyazaki, a**hole."

Rest in peace, Miko. Power to you for not becoming a Blackguard.

7. - Top - End - #187
    Bugbear in the Playground

RedSorcererGirl

Lightbulb Re: Can any spell hurt it?

The spell "Blast of Flame" from the Spell Compendium, with Energy Substitution: Sonic to turn it into sonic damage, and Sculpt Spell so it's a ball or cylinder instead of a cone, will hurt this creature. Blast of Flame is a 4th level Conjuration spell, that ignores spell resistance like the Orb spells. However it's an area of effect spell, so it won't be turned back against the caster like ordinary Rays and cones are against this creature. This is a simple and direct way to take out the creature as described, without having to delve into cheese solutions like drowning, or waiting until it rolls natural 1's on saves.

8. - Top - End - #188
    Barbarian in the Playground

BarbarianGuy

You could also apply Searing Spell to any Fire spell that bypasses SR, and use Sculpt Spell.

Fire Seeds would work well with that plan. 4d8+200 damage.

9. - Top - End - #189
    Ogre in the Playground

why...Why...WHY did you bring this obscenity back up? Wasn't it cheesy enough the FIRST time?!
    Quote Originally Posted by Dervag
    Quote Originally Posted by kpenguin
    Thus, knowing none of us are Sun Tzu or Napoleon or Julius Caesar...
    No, but Swordguy appears to have studied people who are. And took notes.
    "I'd complain about killing catgirls, but they're dead already. You killed them with your 685 quadrillion damage." - Mikeejimbo, in reference to this

10. - Top - End - #190
    Dwarf in the Playground

How about multiple wish spells to give it any cancer imaginable. Maybe AIDS too. It would die eventually.
    "The point of war is not to die for your country, but to make the other [guy] die for his."

Yarr! The river always be a good place to hunt dinosaurs.

11. - Top - End - #191
    Bugbear in the Playground

why...Why...WHY did you bring this obscenity back up? Wasn't it cheesy enough the FIRST time?!
    Last edited by Inyssius Tor; 2008-01-02 at 09:57 PM.
    Diamond Mind avatar provided by Abardam.

12. - Top - End - #192
    Banned

Would this be a good time to mention that I've sigged it?
    Last edited by Solo; 2008-01-02 at 11:15 PM.

13. - Top - End - #193

Use the force, it ain't magic
    Spoiler
    Show

The Lair, Done By Banjo1985

Need to know something about Star Wars? PM me, I know more the Old Ben himself.

14. - Top - End - #194
    Titan in the Playground

If Psionics allowed: Crystal Shard.

15. - Top - End - #195
    Pixie in the Playground

Summon an earth elemental 1000 ft. on top of it. According to it's weight it deal 216 d6 damage for every 10 ft. it falls. That's 2160 d6. If it isn't enough, just summon it 2000 or 3000 ft. in the air.

16. - Top - End - #196
    Ogre in the Playground

Holy thread necromancy, Batman! This thread is truly perennial.

Quote Originally Posted by Diversion View Post
    Summon an earth elemental 1000 ft. on top of it. According to it's weight it deal 216 d6 damage for every 10 ft. it falls. That's 2160 d6. If it isn't enough, just summon it 2000 or 3000 ft. in the air.
    Can't summon something onto a surface that doesn't support it.

17. - Top - End - #197
    Pixie in the Playground

One spell. Doesn't actually directly target the creature.

I wish whatever events or individuals created this being wound up not creating this being and did not create anything to replace it.

I'm sure someone could come up with better wording, but it works.
    Si hoc signum legere potes, operis boni in rebus Latinis alacribus et fructuosis potiri potes!

http://zyanya.wikidot.com/start

18. - Top - End - #198
    Pixie in the Playground

NecromancerGirl

-Summon Epic Big Ass Anvil?
    -Instagib?
    -Create Vacuum?
    -Summon 20 megaton Nuke?
    -Wish/Reality Revision?
    -Scolding Burst (It hurst his feelings...)?
    -Kill-o-zap?
    -Overpowered beast-b-gone?
    -Summon special edition DVD of Waterworld (includes deleted scenes, over 200 minutes of extra material)?
    -Summon George Carlin?

19. - Top - End - #199
    Orc in the Playground

I thought this thread was long dead? It's been proven vulnerable and deafeatable, what more do you want?

Here, I shall give you an example;

We take a mage, say.... level 16. We give him a few metamagic enhancers (he really only needs one,) and one of the many metamagic feats out there that change damage from one type to another. I could go with something silly like Vile damage, or sonic substitution, but I'd rather go with the sub-par extra burning feat that allows you to deal half damage to fire immune creatures with your fire spells. Not nearly as nice as sonic substitution, but it gets the job done, and there's a certain style to it.

Then you cast your Incendiary Clouds, or other no SR area spells, overcoming energy immuntitys as you will.

20. - Top - End - #200
    Ogre in the Playground

One hit kill:

Plane shift into our dimension, and have your character tear up the piece of paper you wrote out your God-Monster on.
    Plus, you just made yourself a really cool wizard buddy. Everybody wins!
    Check out a bunch of stuff I wrote for my campaign world of Oz.

Spoiler
    Show
    I am the Burley, formerly known as Burley Warlock. I got my name changed. Please remember me...

21. - Top - End - #201

Quote Originally Posted by Avicenex View Post
    So I have a problem, albiet a self-imposed one.

One day I decided to make a CR 45 monster. Now I'm trying to make a character that can kill it, and have run into a problem: I can't find any spells that can do it meaningful damage, if any damage at all.
    Here's why:
    -It is Immune to Polymorph, Mind-affecting, Fire, Poison, Disease, Energy Drain, Ability Damage, Sleep, Paralysis, Cold
    -It reflects all spells that are Rays, Lines, Cones, or Magic-Missiles
    -It reflects all spells that target it specifically (as Spell Turning, but permanent)
    -It has Spell Resistance 385
    -It has Lightning and Acid Resist 105
    -It has the following saves: Fort 69, Ref 55, Will 36

Are there any spells that can directly damage/kill it? I've flipped through quite a few books to no avail. I realize it could easily be killed by a mob of angry summoned Solars or an angry horde of Allips, but that's not what I'm looking to do. Assume the caster trying to kill it has a base caster level of 50.

Can any spell hurt it?

Those are just stupid dumb stats.

But, Slime Wave will help (no SR, no target, and does some damage)
    Who is TheMeanDM?

[Image removed - too large]
    Not as large as SOME.

Head Executioner for House Kato

22. - Top - End - #202
    Ettin in the Playground

It worked on Mr. T, and it will work here:

Party Wizard flies roughly 200 feet over the monster, more if the monster can fly or has a ranged weapon. Party Wizard uses telekinesis to hold level the slice of stone ten feet in radius over the monster's center. The Party Wizard then uses the slice as a base for a Wall of Stone Sculpted into a thirty foot pillar. I'll link to the post with the math, but you're looking at quadruple digits in d6s without a roll to hit or a saving throwing. Rock falls, everyone dies.

Edit: Links galore!

23. - Top - End - #203
    Pixie in the Playground

NecromancerGirl

Just kick it in the friggin balls... Or nerf it... I dont even think the Deities from "Deities and Demigods" can hurt it..

24. - Top - End - #204
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by DeathEatsCurry View Post
    Just kick it in the friggin balls... Or nerf it... I dont even think the Deities from "Deities and Demigods" can hurt it..
    Not really - if any creature with the vivacious template goes head to head with it, chances are the baddy goes boom.

25. - Top - End - #205
    Firbolg in the Playground

Kobold

Maximised Quill balst ? (The Complete Divine version)

From a level 50 druid?
    **** Photobucket ; RIP avatars

26. - Top - End - #206
    Ettin in the Playground

What is with the necro?
    Last edited by Sstoopidtallkid; 2008-03-05 at 07:50 AM.

27. - Top - End - #207
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Avicenex View Post
    So I have a problem, albiet a self-imposed one.

One day I decided to make a CR 45 monster. Now I'm trying to make a character that can kill it, and have run into a problem: I can't find any spells that can do it meaningful damage, if any damage at all.
    Here's why:
    -It is Immune to Polymorph, Mind-affecting, Fire, Poison, Disease, Energy Drain, Ability Damage, Sleep, Paralysis, Cold
    -It reflects all spells that are Rays, Lines, Cones, or Magic-Missiles
    -It reflects all spells that target it specifically (as Spell Turning, but permanent)
    -It has Spell Resistance 385
    -It has Lightning and Acid Resist 105
    -It has the following saves: Fort 69, Ref 55, Will 36

Are there any spells that can directly damage/kill it? I've flipped through quite a few books to no avail. I realize it could easily be killed by a mob of angry summoned Solars or an angry horde of Allips, but that's not what I'm looking to do. Assume the caster trying to kill it has a base caster level of 50.

Can any spell hurt it?

Hail of stones has no SR/No save: it does cost 5 gp to cast so pricey: deals 1d4/level (max 5d4). It hits the area (5 feet, I think?).
    So just keep hitting it till dead.

Alternatively:
    Summon Swarm. Auto hits, deals damage, causes distraction, wounding, etc. If Bat Swarm: from now on 1 hp/round, boo-ya.
    So just wait till it does: go invisible before casting and stay invisible.

28. - Top - End - #208
    Banned

No evasion?

1,000,000 from a rock. Level 50 hulking hurler build. This would include the following:

3 levels of hulking hurler.
    20 levels of war hulk. (+40 to str)
    17 levels of Wu Jen (Giant Size 9th level spell)
    Be a Quadruped.
    As much str boosting cheese as you can get.
    Provided you're halfway decent, getting STR to 100+ isn't hard, by this level. Take the feat that doubles your carrying capacity, and a rock that hits for 1,000,000 damage on average, reflex save around DC80 for half, isn't out of the question.

Yeah, it'll pass the save, if it's lucky. Next question, does it have over 500,000 hp?
    Last edited by Talic; 2008-03-05 at 09:32 AM.

29. - Top - End - #209
    Ogre in the Playground

30. - Top - End - #210

And to finally give the thread a kiss of Death, I found a spell that could kill it. Surprised nobody thought about this: Tenser's Transformation! Buff until you can buff no more, and proceed to own it.