New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 31 of 51 FirstFirst ... 6212223242526272829303132333435363738394041 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #901
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: Simple Q&A D&D 3.5 (by RAW) XXVII

A 444

No, but the various crystals of return (MIC p.65) do something similar but the range is greatly reduced (30 ft.).

The bonus question is beyond the scope of this thread.
    Last edited by Andezzar; 2014-07-11 at 05:23 PM.

2. - Top - End - #902
    Orc in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Q445

When a martial adept switches a known maneuver for a different one on level up, does the "losing" of the old maneuver happen before the "gaining" of the new one? Or vice-versa, or do they happen simultaneously? I'm asking for the purpose of prerequisites.

For example, if a Crusader wants to acquire Swarming Assault from White Raven, he needs 3 other White Raven maneuvers. If he has exactly 3 other White Raven maneuvers when he wants to do the switch, can he switch one of them out to learn the new one, or does the fact that upon "losing" the old one he only has two WR maneuvers, and thus don't have the prereqs for Swarming Assault, prohibit him from taking it?

78% of DM's started their first campaign in a tavern. If you're one of the 22% that didn't, copy and paste this into your signature.

Where did you start yours?

The main character (solo campaign) heard about the upcoming execution of his brother for murder, and was on his way to the Count's Keep to stop or delay it.

3. - Top - End - #903
    Troll in the Playground

Q446
    Ok this is a real simple question but in what book are all the templates for monsters? I've checked DMG 1&2, as well as the MM3 but can't find it. New DM but am I missing something here
    Last edited by ChaosArchon; 2014-07-11 at 09:25 PM.
    Lu'ciel, First Age Sorcerer-King of the Unconquered Sun avatar by linkele. many thanks to the person

Extended List of Games I'm in or GM'ing

My homebrew setting: Raeus

4. - Top - End - #904
    Troll in the Playground

Kobold

A 446

Templates are found throughout various books. You can find all templates and their respective books here by hitting Ctrl+F and typing "Template" without quotes.

5. - Top - End - #905
    Troll in the Playground

Thanks a ton!
    Lu'ciel, First Age Sorcerer-King of the Unconquered Sun avatar by linkele. many thanks to the person

Extended List of Games I'm in or GM'ing

My homebrew setting: Raeus

6. - Top - End - #906
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

A 445

There is no sequence detailed in the exchange, so it's simultaneous; the number of maneuvers known does not change.

7. - Top - End - #907
    Orc in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Q445 continued

So then there would be no problem with the Crusader doing what my example said, with Swarming Assault? I think so, based on your answer, but just to be clear?

78% of DM's started their first campaign in a tavern. If you're one of the 22% that didn't, copy and paste this into your signature.

Where did you start yours?

The main character (solo campaign) heard about the upcoming execution of his brother for murder, and was on his way to the Count's Keep to stop or delay it.

8. - Top - End - #908
    Firbolg in the Playground

A445 continued: Incorrect. Since the new maneuver takes the place of the old, there is never a time when you know both.

Quote Originally Posted by ToB pp 9, 15, 21
    Upon reaching 4th level...you can choose to learn a new maneuver in place of one you already know. In effect, you lose the old maneuver in exchange for the new one.
    Emphases mine.
    Last edited by OMG PONIES; 2014-07-12 at 07:00 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Vaz View Post
    Ponies, the Kim Karsdashian of GITP.
    This is what happens when they let me DM:
    Beyond the Horizon IC / OOC
    A Time to Die: Alpha IC / Bravo IC / OOC

9. - Top - End - #909
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by OMG PONIES View Post
    A445 continued: Incorrect. Since the new maneuver takes the place of the old, there is never a time when you know both.
    You misunderstand. Since there is no sequence for the loss of one maneuver and the acquisition of another, the character never has less than the required number of maneuvers. After the switch the new maneuver is one of the prerequisite maneuvers for itself.

10. - Top - End - #910
    Titan in the Playground

Q447: Half-elves count as Elves for all effects relating to race. Does this mean they can have the mark of shadow, the dragonmark meant for Elves?
    Creator of the LA-assignment thread.

Come join the new Junkyard Wars and build with SLAs and a breath weapon!

Interested in judging a build competition on the 3.5 forums but not sure where to begin? Check out the judging handbook!

Extended signature!

11. - Top - End - #911
    Ogre in the Playground

Q448: What natural weapons do Steel Dragons have? I don't see them listed anywhere in Dragons of Faerun.

12. - Top - End - #912
    Titan in the Playground

A448 Link to the Steel Dragon stats.

EDIT: I'm sorry, it doesn't show natural weapons. Disregard the link.
    Last edited by Inevitability; 2014-07-12 at 09:50 AM.
    Creator of the LA-assignment thread.

Come join the new Junkyard Wars and build with SLAs and a breath weapon!

Interested in judging a build competition on the 3.5 forums but not sure where to begin? Check out the judging handbook!

Extended signature!

13. - Top - End - #913
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Story View Post
    Q448: What natural weapons do Steel Dragons have? I don't see them listed anywhere in Dragons of Faerun.
    A 448
    A Steel Dragon will have the same natural weapons as any other True Dragon of its size, unless stated otherwise.
    Last edited by Karnith; 2014-07-12 at 10:09 AM.
    Tier System for Classes | Why Each Class Is In Its Tier

On the use of the tier system:
    Quote Originally Posted by Darius Kane View Post
    "What's this? A TV Guide? How dare you tell me what movies I should watch! Fitness guide? Burn it, I can take care of my health by myself, thank you very much!"

14. - Top - End - #914
    Troll in the Playground

Kobold

Q 449

How does "Spell Reflection" (CM p. 35) work against the Duskblade's Arcane Channeling? If the DB misses the attack then you can reflect? And does the DB make his new Attack Roll against his Touch AC or Regular AC?

15. - Top - End - #915
    Troll in the Playground

Kobold

Q 450 A

If a creature has all forms of vision blocked by a spell (Sleet Storm), is that creature considered Blind? If not, then is there a written penalty for "blocks all vision"?

Q 450 B

How many Balance checks does walking in a Twined Flash Frost Sleet Storm require? 4, 2, or 1?

Q 450 C

Does a Selective Sleet Storm with me as the selected target not block my vision?

Q 451

Is there a way to make Ocular Spell last longer than 8 hours in the eye?
    Last edited by heavyfuel; 2014-07-13 at 12:29 AM.

16. - Top - End - #916
    Dwarf in the Playground

RangerGuy

Q 452

Is the Blast of Sand spell (Sandstorm) subject to any kind of damage reduction/energy resistance?

17. - Top - End - #917
    Troll in the Playground

Kobold

Q 453

If Righteous Fury is Persisted, do the Temporary HP last for 1 hour, or 24?

18. - Top - End - #918
    Ogre in the Playground

A 452

This spell deals untyped magical damage, which is not subject to any DR or resistance.

A 453

They last 1 hour, since the duration of the temporary HP is independent of the spell.

Q 454

Is "Force" an energy type, or just a damage type? The descriptions of some spells like Energetic Healing, Energy Absorption, and Animate Breath suggest it isn't, but that's hardly an end-all rules analysis.

19. - Top - End - #919
    Barbarian in the Playground

EvilClericGuy

Q 455

In order to have the reserve feat Touch of Healing available for use, does a good aligned cleric need to have prepared a cure or equivalent spell, or does their spontaneous casting ability allow all their non-domain spells to count for the feat?

20. - Top - End - #920
    Troll in the Playground

Kobold

A 454

It isn't. From the Wizards glossary:

"energy damage

Damage caused by one of five types of energy (not counting positive and negative energy): acid, cold, electricity, fire, and sonic."

No "force" energy.

21. - Top - End - #921
    Troll in the Playground

Kobold

A 455

The spontaneous Cure spells from clerics make these spells available to cast, so they can be used for purposes of the feat.

22. - Top - End - #922
    Titan in the Playground

Q 456

The Ice Storm says 3d6 of it's damage is bludgeoning. Is this bludgeoning damage subject to DR, or excluded because it is from a spell effect?

23. - Top - End - #923
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

A 456

Damage reduction only applies against weapon and natural attacks. Damage from Ice Storm is neither of those.

24. - Top - End - #924
    Titan in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

A 456 additional

There are several psionic powers which deal physical-typed damage (slashing, piercing, or bludgeoning) which specifically note that DR applies against them. That is a case of specific overriding the general rule.

Without such an explicit exception, damage caused by spells and other magical effects is not subject to damage reduction even if the damage is of a type that is also caused by weapons.
    "Nothing you can't spell will ever work." - Will Rogers

Watch me draw and swear at video games.

25. - Top - End - #925
    Ogre in the Playground

Q 457

Ninja Ki Dodge.
    When a ninja activates this power, he can make one attack directed at him miss automatically. This option can be used before the attack roll is declared as a success or a failure. This choice is available for one round.
    In addition, all attacks have 20% miss chance for one round.

It has been specified in the ability description that "an attack", meaning a specific attack, will be missed regardless of the attack roll when the ninja wishes so. It has been also specified that all attacks have 20% miss chance.

Have I understood this correctly?
    Last edited by Jon_Dahl; 2014-07-14 at 09:18 AM.

26. - Top - End - #926
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

A 457 No.

You've started with what looks like someone's idea of how they'd like the Ki Dodge class ability (Complete Adventurer, page 8) to work rather than the actual text, and then drawn an erroneous conclusion. The entire text of the class feature is only 3 sentences:
    Ki Dodge (Su): At 6th level and higher, a ninja can spend one daily use of her ki power to cause an attack against her to miss when it might otherwise hit. When a ninja activates this ability, her outline shifts and wavers, granting her concealment (20% miss chance) against all attacks for 1 round. Using this ability is a swift action that does not provoke attacks of opportunity.
    The concealment miss chance is how an attack might miss. There is no provision for any automatic miss.

27. - Top - End - #927

A445 correction: No. The sequence is set by the use of the phrase "in exchange for" in the rules passage I previously cited. In order to obtain the new maneuver, one must give up (or "exchange") the old maneuver. Thus, there is a moment (be it ever-so-brief) in which your number of maneuvers known decreases by one as part of the exchanging action. If you are inclined to further disagreement, please provide a RAW citation in support of your position.

A447: Yes.

Quote Originally Posted by Eberron Campaign Setting, pg 16
    Since the union of elves and humans sometimes produces half-elves that are not part of the true-breeding race, a small number of half-elves can be found among the human- and elf-controlled dragonmarked houses.
    A 449: It doesn't. Arcane Channeling is not a spell or spell-like ability, but a Supernatural (Su ability) as per PHB pg 20.

A 450 A: No. Let's compare the SRD entries on Sleet Storm and the "blinded" condition:

Quote Originally Posted by Sleet Storm
    Driving sleet blocks all sight...
    Quote Originally Posted by Blinded
    The character cannot see.
    Thus, in a sleet storm the character can see nothing but sleet. However, he can still see and is not blinded. The only written penalty I know for "blocks all sight" is total concealment.

A 450 B: 4. A creature who wishes to walk in a Twinned Flash Frost Sleet Storm would have to make 1 Balance check for each Sleet Storm, plus two additional Balance checks for the fact that each of the storms was a Flash Frost spell.

Quote Originally Posted by SRD
    A creature can walk within or through the area of sleet at half normal speed with a DC 10 Balance check. Failure means it can’t move in that round, while failure by 5 or more means it falls (see the Balance skill for details).
    Quote Originally Posted by PHB II, pg 91
    When you cast such a spell, the area of the spell is covered with a slippery layer of ice for 1 round. Anyone attempting to move through this icy area must make a DC 10 Balance check or fall prone. A creature that runs or charges through the area must make a DC 20 Balance check to avoid falling.
    Quote Originally Posted by Complete Arcane pg 84
    Any variable characteristics (including attack rolls) or decisions you would make about the spell (including target and area), are applied to both spells, with affected creatures receiving all the effects of each spell individually (including getting two saving throws if applicable).
    Emphasis mine.

A 450 C: Yes. You would also have no need to make Balance checks, since a Selective Spell doesn't affect the designated creature at all. Keep in mind, though, to use Selective Spell you'd have to be within the area of the Sleet Storm to qualify as the designated creature to be unaffected.

Quote Originally Posted by Shining South, pg 21
    You can modify an area spell so that it does not affect one designated creature within it's area. All other creatures in the spell's area are affected normally.
    A 451: No. Anything that lengthens the duration of the spell would take place only once the spell takes effect. Instead, you'd need a way to lengthen the duration of the feat, and I'm unaware of any.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lords of Madness, pg 181
    An ocular spell does not take effect immediately, but is instead held in one of your eyes for up to 8 hours.
    Last edited by OMG PONIES; 2014-07-14 at 10:50 AM.

28. - Top - End - #928
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by OMG PONIES View Post
    A445 correction: No. The sequence is set by the use of the phrase "in exchange for" in the rules passage I previously cited. In order to obtain the new maneuver, one must give up (or "exchange") the old maneuver. Thus, there is a moment (be it ever-so-brief) in which your number of maneuvers known decreases by one as part of the exchanging action. If you are inclined to further disagreement, please provide a RAW citation in support of your position.
    "In exchange for" does not state that the two actions (removal of one maneuver, acquisition of another) must happen one after the other. They can happen simultaneously. In fact the word exchange implies that they do. If they didn't happen simultaneously, it would not be an exchange but a removal and subsequent acquisition.

29. - Top - End - #929

Quote Originally Posted by Andezzar View Post
    "In exchange for" does not state that the two actions (removal of one maneuver, acquisition of another) must happen one after the other. They can happen simultaneously. In fact the word exchange implies that they do. If they didn't happen simultaneously, it would not be an exchange but a removal and subsequent acquisition.
    Absent a RAW citation, we may now be outside the scope of this thread. If you'd like to discuss further, please create a new thread and let me know.

30. - Top - End - #930
    Barbarian in the Playground

DrowGuy

Q 458

What's the name of that weapon modification that basically puts a dagger on the hilt of your blade that can be used in a grapple? (I believe it gives like a -2 to attacks with the main weapon while the dagger is deployed).