Page 51 of 51 FirstFirst ... 264142434445464748495051
Results 1,501 to 1,522 of 1522
  1. - Top - End - #1501
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Default Re: Simple Q&A D&D 3.5 (by RAW) XXVII

Re: A 694 contention
    Quote Originally Posted by OMG PONIES View Post
    While I share that interpretation, does it have a RAW textual basis? The way the passage is written, it does not state that dragons automatically meet racial requirements for those PrCs, but that they automatically qualify. It seems pretty whole-hog.
    Under BECOMING A DRAGONHEART MAGE, here is the full entry requirements listing:
    Entry Requirements
    Spellcasting: Ability to spontaneously cast arcane spells.
    Skills: Knowledge (arcana) 8 ranks.
    Feats: Draconic Heritage*.
    Languages: Draconic.
    *New feat described on page 102.
    Likewise, the full prerequisites list for Draconic Heritage:
    Quote Originally Posted by Draconic Heritage
    Prerequisite: Sorcerer level 1st.
    And here's the passage at issue:
    Dragons automatically qualify for any classes, prestige classes, racial substitution levels, feats, powers, or spells that require the dragonblood subtype.
    "Dragonblood subtype" is clearly not on the Entry Requirements list for Dragonheart Mage nor the Prerequisites for Draconic Heritage.

My answer stands, as supported by the RAW. "Dragonblood subtype" is a benefit of Draconic Heritage. Dragon automatic qualification is only good for satisfying requirements. You're confusing inputs and outputs.

A 711 No.

From the living construct subtype definition:
    Unlike other constructs, a living construct has a Constitution score. A living construct does not gain bonus hit points by size but gains (or loses) bonus hit points through a Constitution bonus (or penalty) as with other living creatures.
    Last edited by Curmudgeon; 2014-08-18 at 11:07 PM.

2. - Top - End - #1502
    Troll in the Playground

Kobold

A 714

There isn't, as far as my knowledge goes, a description of what "distracted" is in game terms. I searched Rules Compendium, DMG and the PHB (incluing glossaries) and found nothing.

When there is no game term to describe something, one should the actual definition of the word, which should be applied to the game with DM adjudication.

As such, here's the dictionary.com definition of distracted:

Quote Originally Posted by distracted
    [dih-strak-tid]

adjective
    1.having the attention diverted:
    She tossed several rocks to the far left and slipped past the distracted sentry.

2.rendered incapable of behaving, reacting, etc., in a normal manner, as by worry, remorse, or the like; irrational; disturbed.
    Basically, ask your DM. If you're the DM, congrats, you get to make that call.

3. - Top - End - #1503
    Titan in the Playground

A 714 continued

The Concentration skill may give some clues as to what constitutes "distracted" (bolding mine):

CONCENTRATION (CON)
    Check: You must make a Concentration check whenever you might potentially be distracted (by taking damage, by harsh weather, and so on) while engaged in some action that requires your full attention. Such actions include casting a spell, concentrating on an active spell, directing a spell, using a spell-like ability, or using a skill that would provoke an attack of opportunity. In general, if an action wouldn’t normally provoke an attack of opportunity, you need not make a Concentration check to avoid being distracted.
    The sample DC table under Concentration gives some other scenarios: non-damaging spell, vigorous/violent motion, grappled and pinned.

4. - Top - End - #1504
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

A 714

While heavyfuel's "ask your DM" answer is always correct, the Player's Handbook stipulates a number of things which are distractions by RAW.

Combat in the vicinity is a distraction, as specified in the Bard's Fascinate ability:
    The distraction of a nearby combat or other dangers prevents the ability from working.

The Concentration skill lists many distractions which require a check (at various different DCs, which I've removed for this answer) to overcome. All of these conditions qualify as distractions when you're making a Spot or Listen check. (Some of these would appear to be redundant; nearby combat is distracting, so damage while in combat is obviously already covered. However, damage can come from traps and other out-of-combat situations.)
    Check: You must make a Concentration check whenever you might potentially be distracted (by taking damage, by harsh weather, and so on) while engaged in some action that requires your full attention.
    • Damaged during the action.
    • Taking continuous damage during the action.
    • Distracted by nondamaging spell.
    • Vigorous motion (on a moving mount, taking a bouncy wagon ride, in a small boat in rough water, belowdecks in a stormtossed ship).
    • Violent motion (on a galloping horse, taking a very rough wagon ride, in a small boat in rapids, on the deck of a storm-tossed ship).
    • Extraordinarily violent motion (earthquake).
    • Entangled.
    • Grappling or pinned.
    • Weather is a high wind carrying blinding rain or sleet.
    • Weather is wind-driven hail, dust, or debris.
    • Weather caused by a spell, such as Storm of Vengeance.

Someone can create a distraction using Bluff:
    Creating a Diversion to Hide
    You can use the Bluff skill to help you hide. A successful Bluff check gives you the momentary diversion you need to attempt a Hide check while people are aware of you.

The Combat chapter lists ways you can distract yourself:
    Performing a Distracting Act: Some actions, when performed in a threatened square, provoke attacks of opportunity as you divert your attention from the battle. Casting a spell and attacking with a ranged weapon, for example, are distracting actions. Table 8–2: Actions in Combat notes many of the actions that provoke attacks of opportunity.

While repeating some of the items specified in the Concentration skill, the discussion of spell preparation adds that any failed saving throw constitutes a distraction.
    The wizard’s surroundings need not be luxurious, but they must be free from overt distractions. Exposure to inclement weather prevents the necessary concentration, as does any injury or failed saving throw the character might experience while studying.

5. - Top - End - #1505
    Barbarian in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Chester View Post
    Q 709

Does Evard's Black Tentacles affect incorporeal creatures?
    Quote Originally Posted by Thurbane View Post
    A709

I would assume EBT has a 50% chance to affect an incorporeal creature, the same as most other non-Force spells.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jowgen View Post
    A 709 Contention

Incorporal creatures, as a rule, can not be grappled; which is what Evard's Tentacle does (as a large creature specifically). Whether another incorporal creature, or a force descriptor grappling spell (e.g. Spiritjaws ) can overcome this, and if yes, how to handle the grapple checks, is a rule-muddy area to my knowledge.
    Follow up Q 709b:

If I trap enemies in the tentacles, then summon some Shadows to attack, do the Shadows get any kind of attack bonus vs. a grappled creature?

6. - Top - End - #1506
    Titan in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

A 709b

You would get the normal benefits of attacking someone who is part of a grapple: they lose their Dexterity bonus to AC.
    "Nothing you can't spell will ever work." - Will Rogers

Watch me draw and swear at video games.

7. - Top - End - #1507
    Dwarf in the Playground

Q 714

Does a caster gain the hit points of a creature which he polymorphed into?

8. - Top - End - #1508
    Troll in the Playground

Kobold

Q 715

Can non-intelligent creatures (like animals and some magical beasts) use Continuous Magic Items? Say, a Belt of Giant Strength?

Q 688
    Re-Reposting from the page before the previous

Q 688

Imagine the following situations. A Cleric with Cha 16 has 6 TU attempts per day. On a given day, he uses a single TU and later on the day, one of following scenarios happen as he proceeds to

A) Get his Cha damage for 4 points;

B) Get his Cha penalized for 4 points;

C) Get his Cha increased for 4 points.

How many turn undead attempts does he have left on each of these three scenarios?

Q 688 B

Imagine the same Cleric has Wis 18. At lv8 this gives him, besides domain spells and orisons, a total of 5/4/4/3 spells per day. If he has already used one of the 4th level spells, and gets Wis penalized/damaged by 2 points. Does he lose a 4th level spell?
    Last edited by heavyfuel; 2014-08-19 at 11:38 AM.

9. - Top - End - #1509
    Troll in the Playground

Kobold

A 714

No.

Quote Originally Posted by Polymorph
    This spell functions like alter self,
    Quote Originally Posted by Alter Self
    Your class and level, hit points, alignment, base attack bonus, and base save bonuses all remain the same.

10. - Top - End - #1510
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

A 715

Yes, if (1) the item does not need to be activated, only worn; and (2) the creature has the necessary magic item slot (see Magic Item Compendium on page 219 for creature types which lack particular slots).

11. - Top - End - #1511
    Troll in the Playground

Q 716

In regards to Wield Oversized Weapon, what does it mean by one size category lighter? Does that mean Two-Handed -> One-Handed -> Light? Does that mean someone could wield a Medium Two-Handed Weapon as a One-Handed weapon?
    Just finding my roots again.

12. - Top - End - #1512
    Bugbear in the Playground

Q 717
    Is there a feat or ability that makes an opponent that you threaten, and who threatens you, provoke an AoO for not attacking you (or something similar)? If so, what is its name?
    Last edited by The Insanity; 2014-08-19 at 01:55 PM.

13. - Top - End - #1513
    Ettin in the Playground

A 716

Ask your DM. The rules are not unambiguous whether you can do one without the other. It is not clear whether you, as a medium character, can wield a medium two-handed weapon as a medium one-handed weapon or whether you you only have the choice of treating it normally or using it as a small one-handed weapon.

A 717 Speculation:

Most likely not. AoOs are always in response of someone doing something. Them being in response of someone not doing something goes against the idea of AoOs. Also it would mean that whenever a character with such a feat would be in the threatened area of another character he could unload all his AoOs on that character regardless of what he does.

There are however feats that causes an opponent to provoke AoOs if he attacks (Robilar's Gambit) and if he hits (Karmic Strike).
    Last edited by Andezzar; 2014-08-19 at 01:14 PM.

14. - Top - End - #1514
    Troll in the Playground

Kobold

Q 718

Do you need a forge to make metalwork with the Craft skill?

15. - Top - End - #1515
    Ettin in the Playground

A 718

Not quite:
    Quote Originally Posted by SRD on Craft
    All crafts require artisan’s tools to give the best chance of success. If improvised tools are used, the check is made with a -2 circumstance penalty. On the other hand, masterwork artisan’s tools provide a +2 circumstance bonus on the check.
    Quote Originally Posted by SRD on Artisan's Tools
    These special tools include the items needed to pursue any craft. Without them, you have to use improvised tools (-2 penalty on Craft checks), if you can do the job at all.
    So you would not need an actual forge but you would need an improvised substitute for a heat source because the gameworld works like the real world unless specified otherwise.

All that is if the metal work requires heating. If you just bend or cut metal, you obviously do not need a heat source.
    Last edited by Andezzar; 2014-08-19 at 01:44 PM.

16. - Top - End - #1516
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Andezzar View Post
    A 717 Speculation:

Most likely not. AoOs are always in response of someone doing something. Them being in response of someone not doing something goes against the idea of AoOs. Also it would mean that whenever a character with such a feat would be in the threatened area of another character he could unload all his AoOs on that character regardless of what he does.

There are however feats that causes an opponent to provoke AoOs if he attacks (Robilar's Gambit) and if he hits (Karmic Strike).
    Yes, I know those feats, thank you. I heard of such a feat in an old thread, that's why I can't ask the person that mentioned it. Maybe he was talking out of his ass, but maybe not, because I remember reading about something like that even before. Also, I'm describing it from memory and "AoO from not being attacked" is all I remember, so it might not have an effect exactly like that, but similar. I'll edit my initial post to clarify that, sorry.
    Last edited by The Insanity; 2014-08-19 at 01:54 PM.

17. - Top - End - #1517
    Halfling in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Q 719

Regarding the Suspended Silence spell in the SpC, it has the following Duration line:

" ... Duration: 24 hours or until discharged, then 6 rounds; see text ... "

--------

If this spell is Extended (via metamagic), which duration becomes the new, modified duration?

1. Duration: 48 hours or until discharged, then 6 rounds; see text
    2. Duration: 48 hours or until discharged, then 12 rounds; see text

18. - Top - End - #1518
    Troll in the Playground

Kobold

Q 720

In regard to the Hide skill as described in the quote below (from pg 92 of Rules Compendium)

Quote Originally Posted by Hide
    If you’re successfully hidden with respect to another creature, that creature is flat-footed with respect to you. That creature treats you as if you were invisible (see page 76).
    How does this interact with with a Crystal of Revelation (any of the 3) from MiC pg 66?

Do they reveal the hidden creature or not?

19. - Top - End - #1519
    Firbolg in the Playground

Q721

What are the alignment restrictions, if any, on the Deathbound domain (SC272) and the Undeath Domain (PGtF92)?

20. - Top - End - #1520
    Ogre in the Playground

A 720

The main limitations to using these crystals against hidden opponents are that a) you have to guess the square the creature is in, and b) only works if the creature is hidden thanks to concealment granted by a magical effect.

If the creature is hiding by means of invisibility, the lesser crystal would work, while other single-creature concealment providing effects would need the greater crystal. As the creature still has concealment after getting hit with the least crystal, it does not negate the hiding aspect.

If the creature is hidden by other means (e.g. hide in plain sight) then none of the crystals work to undo the hide.

Q 722

I have a simple question with many ramification that keeps on popping up for me, as the books are largely silent while Dragon Mag, the WotC website and the FAQ's are often inconsistent/unclear on the matter:

What is "Force"?

Different views welcome.
    Last edited by Jowgen; 2014-08-19 at 06:36 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by afroakuma View Post
    Ugh. For the record, I hate you. I hate you very much.
    The Voidstone Arsenal

The Redeemery

Feat-buying resource

Magical Plants and Where to Find Them

Floating Disk Utility

Taking 10 resource

21. - Top - End - #1521
    Titan in the Playground

A 722

"The Force is what gives a Jedi his power. It's an energy field created by all living things. It surrounds us and penetrates us. It binds the galaxy together."

Seriously though, I checked the rules compendium, but there wasn't anything specific. The best I could find is the D&D Glossary definition of force damage:

A special type of damage dealt by force effects, such as a magic missile spell. A force effect can strike incorporeal creatures without the normal miss chance associated with incorporeality.

22. - Top - End - #1522
    Librarian in the Playground Moderator

The Mod Wonder: Closed for Length. New one will start in a moment. Please restart the numbering
    The Cranky Gamer
    *It isn't realism, it's verisimilitude; the appearance of truth within the framework of the game.
    *Picard management tip: Debate honestly. The goal is to arrive at the truth, not at your preconception.
    *Mutant Dawn for Savage Worlds!
    *The One Deck Engine: Gaming on a budget
    Written by Me on DriveThru RPG
    There are almost 400,000 threads on this site. If you need me to address a thread as a moderator, include a link.