New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 11 of 63 FirstFirst ... 234567891011121314151617181920213661 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #301
    Ogre in the Playground

Imp

Default Re: Simple Q&A for Pathfinder 3: Find With a Vengeance

@175 Don't bother. If anything, you can try to ask JJ for his opinion, but other than that, it's unlikely we'll get any official word on these issues, even if enough people FAQ it.

A177+ You don't actually need the feat, and even if you did, you could replace it with a +5 to DC since it's not a crafting feat.

It also doesn't matter if they're use activated items, since it's not the rod that provides the spell, it just modifies it.

And no, if metamagic rods were allowed, it would increase the spell level. Like I said before, metamagic rods don't change how metamagic effects work. The spell's level is still modified regardless of whether the change is powered by your spell slots or a metamagic rod (or any other effect). Metamagic rods only allow you to skip the slot level increase, but the slot you use has little to do with the spell's actual (or modified) level.

A178+ Yeah, looks like someone forgot to figure in the base natural armor of the boar and just added the lycanthrope bonus. The rest seems fine though.

2. - Top - End - #302
    Bugbear in the Playground

Griffon

Q/A178+

Quote Originally Posted by Keneth View Post

A178+ Actually, it's statted correctly, it's the rage that makes it a bit wonky.

The human form stats (without rage) are: Str 15, Dex 13, Con 14, Int 10, Wis 14, Cha 8

When he goes into hybrid form, his stats are: Str 19, Dex 13, Con 19, Int 10, Wis 14, Cha 8

Add +4 Str and +4 Con to each for rage. It's based on the common boar.
    If you look at the werebear (str of grizzly), weretiger (str of tiger), and wererat (dex of dire rat), you can see that the animal stats don't get a +2 on top of that. So hybrid form strength and con should only be 17+4=21 with rage.

But then you look at werewolf and wereboar, and it does the opposite. So I can't extrapolate which is wrong, just that some are.

3. - Top - End - #303
    Barbarian in the Playground

Q179

In pathfinder, do creatures slain by negative energy still become wights?
    May I borrow some bat guano? It's for a spell...

4. - Top - End - #304
    Ogre in the Playground

A179
    No.

3.5; Energy Drain And Negative Levels
    A character with negative levels at least equal to her current level, or drained below 1st level, is instantly slain. Depending on the creature that killed her, she may rise the next night as a monster of that kind. If not, she rises as a wight.
    PF; Energy Drain and Negative Levels
    If a creature's negative levels equal or exceed its total Hit Dice, it dies.
    And no mention of wights.
    Proudly addicted to pointing out where exactly rules can be found.

Countdown to Belkar's death and my follow-up count gives us less then 3 weeks left. Poor Belkar.

___

What effects allow a saving throw?
    List of almost all 3.5 skills.
    Old PF Initiative Build

5. - Top - End - #305
    Pixie in the Playground

My apologies if these questions have been asked already. I tried searching the thread for them, but I did not have much luck with the search thread feature...

Q182: Can a character wielding a weapon in each hand alternate between them when making attacks without taking Two-Weapon Fighting penalties?
    Example: Character has BAB of +6/+1 and is holding a Longsword in one hand and a Club in the other. When taking the Full Attack Action, he wants to make his first attack at +6 BAB using the Longsword and then make his second attack at BAB +1 using the Club.

Q183: How does handedness come into play in the above scenario? Are both attacks made with the full STR bonus to damage since the character is not using the Two-Weapon Fighting options to get additional attacks? Or, would one of the attacks be considered "Off-Hand" and only deal 1/2 STR damage?

Q184: Would the above scenario work the same way if a character wanted to alternate attacking with a Longsword and a shield bash attack (instead of Longsword and Club)?

Q185: Since shields can be used as weapons, do you have a threatened area and are you able to make attacks of opportunity when only wielding a shield? Do you need to have the Improved Shield Bash feat or be wielding a spiked shield to threaten an area and make attacks of opportunity?

Q186: If you can make a shield bash as an attack of opportunity, does a character wielding a Longsword and a shield get his choice of either a Longsword attack or a shield bash attack when an enemy provokes an attack of opportunity from him?

Q187: The Fighter Archetype Phalanx Soldier grants the ability to use a polearm or spear in one hand. If a Phalanx Soldier with this ability chooses to wield a polearm with reach in one hand and wield a shield in the other, how does this affect his threatened area and ability to make attacks of opportunity? I know he threatens the squares 10 ft away from him as normal for a reach weapon and can make attacks of opportunity with the polearm against enemies who provoke them in that area. Since he also has the option to make shield bash attacks, does he also threaten his adjacent squares and is he able to make attacks of opportunity with his shield against adjacent enemies who provoke? Would there be any attack or damage penalties associated with this?

Q188: If a character is wielding a 2-handed reach weapon and has the Improved Unarmed Strike feat, how does this affect his threatened area bility to make attacks of opportunity? Does he threaten all the squares that are 10 feet away with the reach weapon and all adjacent squares with his unarmed strike? I know he threatens the squares 10 ft away from him as normal for a reach weapon and can make attacks of opportunity with the polearm against enemies who provoke them in that area. Does his Improved Unarmed Strike feat allow him to also threaten his adjacent squares and make attacks of opportunity with his Unarmed Strike against adjacent enemies who provoke? Would there be any attack or damage penalties associated with this?

Thank you!
    ~Dragon-Rider

*Edited question numbers per FabulousFizban's post below.
    Last edited by Dragon-Rider; 2014-07-16 at 10:29 PM.

6. - Top - End - #306

I missnumbered my question. My question should have been 181, which means the next question is 189
    repeat the next question should be numbered 189. Please adjust accordingly.
    May I borrow some bat guano? It's for a spell...

7. - Top - End - #307
    Ogre in the Playground

A182
    Yes
    The two-weapon fighting penalties only apply once you start making extra attacks. You can carry two weapons in both hands no problem. Which in turns means you can use both weapons in irritative attacks without TWF penalties.

A183
    The offhand-penalties are tied to two-weapon fighting rules, so they don't apply in this case.

A184
    Yes.

A185
    It seems so.

Basic AoO rules
    "You Threaten all squares into which you can make a melee attack, even when it is not your turn."
    And nothing within Shield Bashing seems to change this.

A186
    Yes

A187
    Yes, and no penalties apply beyond losing the shields AC.

A188
    Yes, you can and without penalty. This is a famous technique often done with a gauntlets rather then unarmed strikes.

Countdown to Belkar's death and my follow-up count gives us less then 3 weeks left. Poor Belkar.

___

Old PF Initiative Build

8. - Top - End - #308

BlueKnightGuy

Q189
    What feats,classes,and enchantments dramatically add to range and stack?
    Last edited by Platymus Pus; 2014-07-17 at 05:28 PM.

9. - Top - End - #309

Q 190: Where can I find stats on the Gold Guardian/Animate Hoard created by the genius avaricious spell's third effect? And, am I right that the total gold involved would be 106,001? (1 focus coin + 6000 sacrificed + treasure hoard of 100,000 gold)
    My Homebrew and Extended Signature
    Current avatar: Charza Sahlaren, by gr8artist

10. - Top - End - #310
    Ogre in the Playground

A189
    Not many...

Distance: ranged weapon enhancement, doubles range
    Longshot : spell, +10 ft per range increment (which easily is 20, 50 or 100ft extra)
    These two stack, untyped and different source.

Honorable mentions:
    Hurler: Barbarian archetype, +10 feet range per range increment for throwing weapons
    Musket Master: Gunslinger archetype, 10 feet range per range increment for firearms
    These two don't stack, different weapon types, but do stack with the earlier mentioned ones.

And I couldn't find more that increase range. (There is a Half-Elf Favored Class option for Alchemist for Splash Weapons, but that takes 5 levels to do anything.)

A190
    I am afraid that's limited to the book itself: Pathfinder Adventure Path #30: The Twice-Damned Prince (Council of Thieves 6 of 6), page 68-69. I can't find an online source.

As for the price, that seems right. As far as I know you cannot use focus as material component in the same spell, but in this case the text specially states that all gold "piles" are different.

___

Old PF Initiative Build

11. - Top - End - #311
    Ogre in the Playground

A189

There is also the Zen Archer archetype for the Monk, which can up its range increments by 50' for a ki point. Though you do need to be a monk, which might be a downside.
    Avatar by the incomparable araveugnitsuga!

12. - Top - End - #312
    Dwarf in the Playground

Q191: Does the bonus to armor check penalty given by an armor made of mithral (-3 to armor check penalty) already include the masterwork bonus?

13. - Top - End - #313
    Troll in the Playground

A 191 Yes. All mithril items are also masterwork.
    http://www.d20pfsrd.com/equipment---...ls#TOC-Mithral
    If you cast Dispel Magic on my Gust of Wind, does that mean you're disgusting?

In real estate, they say it's all about location, location, location. In D&D I say it's about action economy, action economy, action economy.

Crystal Mage -- a homebrewed arcane tradition

14. - Top - End - #314
    Orc in the Playground

WhiteWizardGirl

Q192

A question on DR; say I have a +5 bonus bludgeoning weapon. As I understand it, as a +5 it bypasses magic, cold iron, silver, mithral, admanatine, and alignment DR.

What DR (if any) would a +5 Bludgeon weapon NOT ignore? (or said another way, what DR would still reduce my attack?) Piercing and slashing DR?

15. - Top - End - #315

Griffon

A192

A +5 bludgeoning weapon would not ignore DR/piercing, DR/slashing, DR/—, or DR/epic.

16. - Top - End - #316
    Troll in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

Q193

If a disease (say, Tuberculosis) doesn't have a listed 'cure', does that mean that one save cures it, or that it can only be cured with 'remove disease'?

17. - Top - End - #317

Quote Originally Posted by Genth View Post
    Q193

If a disease (say, Tuberculosis) doesn't have a listed 'cure', does that mean that one save cures it, or that it can only be cured with 'remove disease'?
    A193 lorem ipsum
    Quote Originally Posted by http://www.d20pfsrd.com/gamemastering/afflictions

Afflictions without a cure entry can only be cured through powerful spells, such as neutralize poison and remove curse. No matter how many saving throws are made, these afflictions continue to affect the target.
    Last edited by Segrain; 2014-07-20 at 06:37 PM.

18. - Top - End - #318
    Orc in the Playground

WhiteWizardGirl

Q194

Follow up to 192; I know of piercing/slashing DR, but how would you bypass epic DR? What's the third DR (unlabeled?) and how would I get around it?

19. - Top - End - #319

Griffon

A194

A few very powerful monsters are vulnerable only to epic weapons—that is, magic weapons with at least a +6 enhancement bonus. Such creatures’ natural weapons are also treated as epic weapons for the purpose of overcoming damage reduction.
    So you need either something that simply ignores DR (like a paladin's smite), an epic weapon (+6 enhancement bonus or higher), or access to forms/creatures with epic DR and natural weapons (accessible through mythic rules).

When a damage reduction entry has a dash (—) after the slash, no weapon negates the damage reduction.

If a dash follows the slash, then the damage reduction is effective against any attack that does not ignore damage reduction.
    You need something that ignores DR (like smite) to get around this.

For sources for the above rules, see here and here.

20. - Top - End - #320

Q 195: Can an antipaladin cast a touch spell, hold the charge, and then use Touch of Corruption on his next turn for spell+ToC damage simultaneously?
    Or, in a more general sense, can you use a special touch attack (ToC/LoH, various sorcerer/wizard/cleric powers) while you are holding a charge in that hand?
    My Homebrew and Extended Signature
    Current avatar: Charza Sahlaren, by gr8artist

21. - Top - End - #321
    Ogre in the Playground

A195
    Yes. Although not stated directly, it seems possible from the basic rule.
    Holding the Charge: If you don't discharge the spell in the round when you cast the spell, you can hold the charge indefinitely. You can continue to make touch attacks round after round. If you touch anything or anyone while holding a charge, even unintentionally, the spell discharges.

___

Old PF Initiative Build

22. - Top - End - #322

Goblin

Q196a:So I'm playing a ratfolk Alchemist with the Plague bringer archetype. Is there a way to apply my Plague vial disease to my bombs? It looks like by default I can't, as plague vial takes a standard action to infect a weapon, and bombs take a standard action to create and throw, and can't be stored.

Q196b:
    If I apply my Plague vial disease to a thrown splash weapon, does every creature hit by the splash damage risk being affected by the disease, or just the main target?

23. - Top - End - #323
    Ogre in the Playground

A196a
    You could with the Delayed Bomb Discovery.

A196b
    Just the main target.

From the Plague Vial description
    As a standard action, the plague bringer can infect a weapon with this sickness (typically by licking it or wiping his blood or pus on it). The disease on the weapon works like a poisoned weapon, except the source is a disease instead of a poison (so a dwarf's resistance to poison does not apply).
    And the poison rules tells us:
    One dose of poison smeared on a weapon or some other object affects just a single target. A poisoned weapon or object retains its poison until the weapon scores a hit or the object is touched (unless the poison is wiped off before a target comes in contact with it).
    Last edited by Yanisa; 2014-07-22 at 06:54 AM.

___

Old PF Initiative Build

24. - Top - End - #324
    Troll in the Playground

Q 197 If you're flying, can you take a 5-foot "step" without using a move action?

In real estate, they say it's all about location, location, location. In D&D I say it's about action economy, action economy, action economy.

25. - Top - End - #325
    Ogre in the Playground

A197
    Yes, but it requires a DC 15 fly check.

From the 5-Foot Step
    You can move 5 feet in any round when you don't perform any other kind of movement.
    From the Fly Skill Check
    Without making a check, a flying creature can remain flying at the end of its turn so long as it moves a distance greater than half its speed.

Flying Maneuver Fly DC
    Hover 15

Action: None. A Fly check doesn’t require an action; it is made as part of another action or as a reaction to a situation.
    So, general speaking you are always moving when using the fly skill or else you plummet to ground. But there is an option to hover, which, logically, isn't a form of movement and neither is the fly skill itself. And when you are not moving in a round, you can make a 5-foot step.

___

Old PF Initiative Build

26. - Top - End - #326
    Troll in the Playground

Q 197b You don't think 5 feet of movement would fall under "Move less than half speed and remain flying, DC 10" rather than hover?

27. - Top - End - #327
    Ogre in the Playground

A197b
    Debatable, personally I edge to no. RAW would edge to yes.

Way I see it, "Move less than half speed and remain flying, DC 10" still implies movement during your turn, whereas "Hover, DC 15" implies no movement at all. The second one sounds much true to the 5-Foot step rule. It also avoids the more "exploity" hover by 5-foot stepping between two points, technically gaining the benefits of Hover for a lower DC.
    But I can see how one would say the 5-Foot Step is that movement implied by the "Move less"-DC.
    RAW doesn't really make a difference between the two, and because Fly isn't an action of itself, it's hard to say in which order you apply the actions (Fly Check -> 5-Foot Step or 5-Foot Step -> Fly Check), although movement first and then checks makes more sense from the Rules (Generally you preform action, then roll for the outcome of action). Also adding that the falling due failing to fly happens at the end of your turn, that also seems to favor the lower DC 10.

___

Old PF Initiative Build

28. - Top - End - #328
    Orc in the Playground

Q198 Can a creature in whirlwind form be damaged normally? Can you punch it or shoot an arrow at it, considering it is just air?

29. - Top - End - #329
    Ogre in the Playground

A198
    The Whirlwind ability has no special clauses when it comes to damage, so we can assume that like an Air Elemental, they can be hit.

Do remember this line.
    Another creature might be caught in the whirlwind if it touches or enters the whirlwind...
    That means that when you attack with a melee weapon you are going to get sucked up in the whirlwind, so punching isn't the greatest idea. Once you are already inside the whirlwind you could punch it no worries though (nothing states you cannot attack when in the whirlwind.). Also I am unsure to find whether reach weapons project you or not, but I would edge to yes, you can safely attack with a reach weapon (As a house rule you could make this some disarm, as the strong winds tug on your weapon, it sounds logical, but isn't stated in the rules).
    Last edited by Yanisa; 2014-07-23 at 01:03 AM.

___

Old PF Initiative Build

30. - Top - End - #330

Q 199

Witch Familiar Hit Points.
    Witch has an Improved Familiar (Faerie Dragon, fwiw). Witch has 54 base HP, Threefold Aspect (young) providing +1 Con (+13 hp), and False Life providing 19 temporary.

I believe;
    Witch has 67 HP (54+13), and 19 Temporary HP
    Familiar has 27 HP (Half of 54) The Constitution bonus does not last more than 24 hours, so it is temporary and does not apply. False Life is, by definition, temporary and does not apply.

Correct?
    Avatar of Vlad Taltos and Loiosh by Bradakhan