New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 27 of 51 FirstFirst ... 2171819202122232425262728293031323334353637 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #781
    Orc in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Default Re: Dreamscarred Press Introduces: Akashic Mysteries

Quote Originally Posted by Milo v3 View Post
    Is daevic's progression of veils equivalent to more 4th casting of ranger or 6th of bards? Considering writing up an akashic skald archetype.
    Honestly I would compare it more Sorcerer Daevic to Wizard Vizier.

Daevic has fewer essence in general, but if you focus it within your passion it's just as strong. So Daevic has equally powerful more focused options compared to the Vizier who gets to pick what he puts his essence into, but doesn't boost half of them with one essence investment.
    Last edited by Fallenreality; 2014-12-29 at 01:55 AM.

2. - Top - End - #782
    Barbarian in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by PsyBomb View Post
    This will be a Blaster Vizier, Crafter path.
    Both circlet of brass and chakra targeting give insight bonus.
    Does circlet work on flaming and fiery burst of hand cannons?

3. - Top - End - #783
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Nyaa View Post
    Both circlet of brass and chakra targeting give insight bonus.
    Does circlet work on flaming and fiery burst of hand cannons?
    Yes it does.

4. - Top - End - #784
    Ogre in the Playground

Preliminary reading of the Daevic:

Love: Paramour ability has conflicting text. States it can be any race or class, then goes into the restrictions.

Lust: Free-Action Called is critical to the style, 11th level is a bit late for it to come online. Also unclear on 16th level ability if it works on Full Attacks, and if so if the spell effect is on all attacks or just one target.

Missing: Thrown-weapon feats from a couple pages back

More to come when I get a chance to do a more thorough review

Quote Originally Posted by Forrestfire
    Optimization stops being practical and starts being theoretical when your DPR is measured in Tarrasques instead of hit points
    My Guides:
    PsyBomb's Guides to the Akashic Mysteries (Now with all three classes!)
    Fear Itself: the Dread

Extended Signature HERE

5. - Top - End - #785
    Ogre in the Playground

Preliminary reading of the Daevic:

Love: Paramour ability has conflicting text. States it can be any race or class, then goes into the restrictions.
    I knew I was going to overlook something like this while combining the text; thanks for the catch.

Lust: Free-Action Called is critical to the style, 11th level is a bit late for it to come online. Also unclear on 16th level ability if it works on Full Attacks, and if so if the spell effect is on all attacks or just one target.

Missing: Thrown-weapon feats from a couple pages back

More to come when I get a chance to do a more thorough review
    Since the 16th level ability references an attack action, it can't be part of a full attack. In Pathfinder "attack" and "attack action" reference two different things; an attack is basically any harmful action, and an attack action specifically refers to the action you're taking when you make a normal attack as a standard action. So you could tag it on with something like Vital Strike or any other feat or ability that references an attack action, but not other specific actions like casting a spell.

I'll go back in and add in the thrown weapon feats discussed and make a few tweaks to the enhancement abilities.

(P.S. Did you get a chance to look at the Vestige I threw up for you? I tried to make it really powerful but kind of unassuming.)

6. - Top - End - #786
    Ogre in the Playground

I saw it, then IMMEDIATELY went on to see if I could break it :D
    Like yours?

Anyway, thanks for clarifying on the spell effect, makes an interesting paired tactic with Heartsblood when bound.

Optimization stops being practical and starts being theoretical when your DPR is measured in Tarrasques instead of hit points
    My Guides:

Extended Signature HERE

7. - Top - End - #787
    Ogre in the Playground

I saw it, then IMMEDIATELY went on to see if I could break it :D
    Like yours?

Anyway, thanks for clarifying on the spell effect, makes an interesting paired tactic with Heartsblood when bound.
    I'd imagine you found a few ways; I didn't spend as much time closing loopholes in that effective level boosting ability as I probably should have :P
    Mine was fun, I kind of wanted to make an Occultist and play around with it.

On another note, Sculptor is just pending a final read-through before I post it up; it was pretty late when I finished it last night and I need to make sure sleepy me didn't do anything to aggregious. I'm planning on posting a bunch of stuff up tonight, but I won't be getting home until after 7pm Pacific time so I may or may not be able to get to it.

8. - Top - End - #788
    Orc in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Awesome with the Sculptor thing.

If the campaign I'm going into turns gestalt at some point (it might) I'll probably end up playing a Dhampir Swarm Master/Occultist. It's going to be a pretty fun build.

9. - Top - End - #789
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Fallenreality View Post
    Awesome with the Sculptor thing.

If the campaign I'm going into turns gestalt at some point (it might) I'll probably end up playing a Dhampir Swarm Master/Occultist. It's going to be a pretty fun build.
    Occult Adventures Occultist, or Radiance House Occultist?

10. - Top - End - #790
    Orc in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Radiance House, I do enjoy my classic Binder.

11. - Top - End - #791
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Ssalarn View Post
    Occult Adventures Occultist, or Radiance House Occultist?
    Radiance.

I'm the GM. I sent him here to look for a gestalt class. He changed characters
    I follow a general rule: better to ask and be told no than not to ask at all.

Shadeblight by KennyPyro

12. - Top - End - #792
    Ogre in the Playground

Radiance House, I do enjoy my classic Binder.
    Good times! Alexander Agunas and I were talking about doing some cross-company work to combine his pact system with the akashic materials, but we both got kind of busy on our own separate projects and haven't really had a chance to follow up on that yet. I understand he's currently doing a big rewrite/update of the Pact Magic Unbound systems to kind of re-modernize the materials.

13. - Top - End - #793
    Orc in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Good times! Alexander Agunas and I were talking about doing some cross-company work to combine his pact system with the akashic materials, but we both got kind of busy on our own separate projects and haven't really had a chance to follow up on that yet.
    *Fanboying intensifies*

Edit: I could sort of see a combo of the Akashic stuff and Pact Magic. Bind the vestiges to your chakra slots for bonuses.

Quote Originally Posted by Keledrath View Post
    Radiance.

I'm the GM. I sent him here to look for a gestalt class. He changed characters
    I changed characters and have 2 backups. I blame you for this.

I guess it's not all bad, I hadn't posted on here much before now xD
    Last edited by Fallenreality; 2014-12-29 at 05:03 PM.

14. - Top - End - #794
    Ogre in the Playground

I changed characters and have 2 backups. I blame you for this.
    Me? That's the kind of blame I'm willing to take

15. - Top - End - #795
    Orc in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Me? That's the kind of blame I'm willing to take
    I was blaming Keledrath for showing me this stuff in the first place, since I sort of avoided Incarnum back in 3.5.

You can take the blame for the fun archetypes though.

16. - Top - End - #796
    Firbolg in the Playground

I was blaming Keledrath for showing me this stuff in the first place, since I sort of avoided Incarnum back in 3.5.

You can take the blame for the fun archetypes though.
    I thought you were playing a Harbinger. What happened Fallen? What happened to our love?

Quote Originally Posted by Chilingsworth View Post
    Wow! Not only was that awesome, I think I actually kinda understand Archeron now. If all the "intermediate" outer planes got that kind of treatment, I doubt there would be anywhere near as many critics of their utility.
    My extended homebrew sig

17. - Top - End - #797
    Orc in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Lord_Gareth View Post
    I thought you were playing a Harbinger. What happened Fallen? What happened to our love?
    It's one of the 2 backups! I have a constitution of 8, I might not live past level 2 with the Dread!

Nooooo come back! T.T

This is one of those cases where I just thought of a backstory and personality for the Swarm Master first so it ended up being the primary character.
    Last edited by Fallenreality; 2014-12-29 at 05:16 PM.

18. - Top - End - #798
    Ogre in the Playground

It's one of the 2 backups! I have a constitution of 8, I might not live past level 2 with the Dread!

Nooooo come back! T.T

This is one of those cases where I just thought of a backstory and personality for the Swarm Master first so it ended up being the primary character.
    You've got d8's and the Akashic system backing you up, you better be able to survive past level 2!!! Not to mention the fact that the Pestilence Cloak is inherently a powerful defensive veil in its own right.

Sorry Lord_Gareth ol' buddy, I'm afraid that Harbinger is going to be benched for a good long while....

19. - Top - End - #799
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Lord_Gareth View Post
    If I'm not mistaken, the 3 are
    Dread//Occultist
    Stalker//Harbinger (deadly dealer build)
    Summoner//Bard

Also, DSP peoples, since I have you all here, when are you announcing your Shadowcasting port? You have done everything but my favorite system by fluff.

EDIT: The dread might die. He has an 8 Con and I'm mean.
    Last edited by Vhaidara; 2014-12-29 at 05:31 PM.
    I follow a general rule: better to ask and be told no than not to ask at all.

Shadeblight by KennyPyro

20. - Top - End - #800
    Orc in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Dread//Occultist
    Summoner//Bard

Also, DSP peoples, since I have you all here, when are you announcing your Shadowcasting port? You have done everything but my favorite system by fluff.

Huh, forgot about Excalibard for a bit. Bring it up to 4 then. Especially if the Sculptor ends up awesome.

I also put the Stalker//Harbinger on the side until I can think of some way to use all the swift actions I would need >.<

Can I bribe you with cookies?

Edit: I think Stalker//Harbinger is a poor choice on my part. I am however considering Vizier/Harbinger, or that Snake Charmer archetype/Harbinger.
    Last edited by Fallenreality; 2014-12-29 at 05:36 PM.

21. - Top - End - #801
    Ogre in the Playground

Dread//Occultist
    Summoner//Bard

I was actually seriously considering pitching a shadow magic port to Andreas before I got backed up on the akashic project due to injuries and various other life-related issues. It's probably my second favorite subsystem, with Incarnum being my first.

22. - Top - End - #802
    Orc in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

I was actually seriously considering a shadow magic port to Andreas before I got backed up on the akashic project due to injuries and various other life-related issues. It's probably my second favorite subsystem, with Incarnum being my first.
    If you made a Shadow Magic port I would need to start up 2 more games to cover all my character ideas >.>...

Edit: I might need another game or two anyway. Some of those backups sound fun.
    Last edited by Fallenreality; 2014-12-29 at 05:43 PM.

23. - Top - End - #803
    Ogre in the Playground

Huh, forgot about Excalibard for a bit. Bring it up to 4 then. Especially if the Sculptor ends up awesome.

I also put the Stalker//Harbinger on the side until I can think of some way to use all the swift actions I would need >.<

Can I bribe you with cookies?
    If you're Gestalting, I'd suggest Sculptor//Magus. They're both INT reliant, the Magus benefits from the Sculptor's pseudo-BAB when wielding a weapon he created, and you can pull off some fairly entertaining ridiculousness by grabbing the Share Veil feat to snag Armory of the Conqueror and Vital Strike/Spellstrike with a colossal scimitar, as my fiancee' did Saturday night in our playtest with her level 15 Sculptor/Magus/Amplifier. Granted, she'd mixed so much of the the material that it didn't tell me much about the Sculptor specifically, but she pretty much was Green Lantern, creating a giant energy weapon by sheer force of will and then obliterating her enemies with it.

24. - Top - End - #804
    Orc in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

If you're Gestalting, I'd suggest Sculptor//Magus. They're both INT reliant, the Magus benefits from the Sculptor's pseudo-BAB when wielding a weapon he created, and you can pull off some fairly entertaining ridiculousness by grabbing the Share Veil feat to snag Armory of the Conqueror and Vital Strike/Spellstrike with a colossal scimitar, as my fiancee' did Saturday night in our playtest with her level 15 Sculptor/Magus/Amplifier. Granted, she'd mixed so much of the the material that it didn't tell me much about the Sculptor specifically, but she pretty much was Green Lantern, creating a giant energy weapon by sheer force of will and then obliterating her enemies with it.
    Curse you Ssalarn, tormenting me with awesomeness! *Shakes fist*

25. - Top - End - #805
    Ogre in the Playground

Curse you Ssalarn, tormenting me with awesomeness! *Shakes fist*
    The other fun thing I did because of my fiancee' was add in a new Favored Class Bonus for orc Daevics, increasing the number of negative hit points they can have before dying by 2 each time you choose it. We're getting ready to run Iron Gods and she really wanted to play a true orc Daevic of Desire who took sadistic pleasure in driving men mad with desire before brutally destroying them.

Which now has me terrified that I'm marrying this woman.

26. - Top - End - #806
    Ogre in the Playground

Edit: I might need another game or two anyway. Some of those backups sound fun.
    If you start one up, please tell me. I know YOU will allow DSP material, and I have a few looking for places to go

My Guides:

Extended Signature HERE

27. - Top - End - #807
    Orc in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

If you start one up, please tell me. I know YOU will allow DSP material, and I have a few looking for places to go
    Well I do have a roll20 account that makes life easy. There are just two problems:

1: College starts back up in a couple weeks and I'll have a 5e game every other Saturday, a Pathfinder game whenever Keledrath schedules it, and WoW raiding on Fridays.
    2: I'm not exactly the best person to DM something. I once murdered a party with an easy goblin encounter due to giving them the tactics of a battle hardened unit of soldiers...

Edit: Also fair warning so you know what you're getting into. Excalibard is a reference to Soul Eater and his main goal is to debuff enemies by shouting fools. It's my break glass in case of emergency backup.

The other fun thing I did because of my fiancee' was add in a new Favored Class Bonus for orc Daevics, increasing the number of negative hit points they can have before dying by 2 each time you choose it. We're getting ready to run Iron Gods and she really wanted to play a true orc Daevic of Desire who took sadistic pleasure in driving men mad with desire before brutally destroying them.

Which now has me terrified that I'm marrying this woman.
    I don't know man, sounds like a keeper to me xD

Just... Be careful in case she pulls out an axe during the wedding...
    Last edited by Fallenreality; 2014-12-29 at 06:12 PM.

28. - Top - End - #808
    Ogre in the Playground

An odd bit that came up in offline discussion, the fact that Desire has no way to punch out resist/immunity to mind-affecting didn't end up being as serious as we thought. Both branches have tons to do other than forcing saves. Makes them more Ranged/Skill based. Rider request to this was to put Hand Cannons on the passion list for Desire, but I'd understand if not.

My Guides:

Extended Signature HERE

29. - Top - End - #809
    Orc in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

An odd bit that came up in offline discussion, the fact that Desire has no way to punch out resist/immunity to mind-affecting didn't end up being as serious as we thought. Both branches have tons to do other than forcing saves. Makes them more Ranged/Skill based. Rider request to this was to put Hand Cannons on the passion list for Desire, but I'd understand if not.
    The issue with adding hand cannons is it doesn't have any synergy with the returning or called properties from avarice.

30. - Top - End - #810
    Ogre in the Playground

I'm really feeling like Hand Cannons isn't going to be necessary. With the CHA for DEX/INT stat replacement allowing them to tag on combat maneuver, TWF, and ranged feats without getting too MAD, the potent packets of abilities they get, and their great proficiencies, the Daevic in general is still cuddling up to a line where they look really strong within their niche. I feel like Desire having a bit lower damage but more facility with non-direct damage abilities means they're pretty much right where they should be.

In regards to an earlier conversation - I'm not making any promises because I've got a lot on my plate, but Andreas has said that if I get a solid pitch over to him, DSP will back me on a shadow magic port. If I have time in my schedule and if I get that itch when I'm designing to take a break from akasha and stretch my brain out elsewhere, there could be a DSP port. If I were to do it, I'd probably draw really heavily on themes seen in Paul S. Kemp's Erevis Cale series and Brent Week's Night Angel Trilogy, with the new Shadewalker (working name) basically having an assassination path, a controller path, and a mobility path. You'd probably have a starting Subtlety matching that path (so assassins might have an at-will ability to cloak themselves in shadow, controllers might have an at-will darkness-like effect, and the mobile characters might get a speed increas in areas of dim or lower light), and then your Subtlety would give you access to one unique tree of abilities and the ability to choose from two general trees, with a total of 6 paths or schools available to the core class. Probably on a 3/4 BAB chassis with Rogue-ish proficiencies, 4+Int skills, and good Reflex and Will saves. Is that something you all would like to see me pursue?