New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 13 of 46 FirstFirst ... 3456789101112131415161718192021222338 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #361
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default Re: 1001+ ways to screw with your DM/Party

511: Make up titles for both yourself and the rest of the party. Refuse to address them in any other way and ignore any attempt to communicate with you unless addressed properly.
    511b: Bonus points if you're the party face.

512: Demand greater involvement from the DM, including having physical props for spell components.
    512b: Demand the party wizard eats the spell components when relevant.

2. - Top - End - #362
    Titan in the Playground

513. Encourage your players to write copious backstories listing all of their contacts and family in their home town — start the first session with their home town being destroyed pompai style with them escaping somehow.
    π = 4
    Consider a 5' radius blast: this affects 4 squares which have a circumference of 40' — Actually it's worse than that.

Completely Dysfunctional Handbook
    Warped Druid Handbook

3. - Top - End - #363
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by nedz View Post
    513. Encourage your players to write copious backstories listing all of their contacts and family in their home town — start the first session with their home town being destroyed pompai style with them escaping somehow.
    513a bonus points if they are on another plane helping the fight against an army of alien bugs, a la Star Ship Troopers style
    Quote Originally Posted by tricktroller View Post
    Lol Bad bozo. Bad.
    Quote Originally Posted by Immabozo View Post
    Certainly if you have magic, or magic items that specify that is how that goes, it does. why? Because MAGIC! Does that mean that is how that works in general? Well, the same way that a wizard cast a finger of death on something and that means that whatever he points at must make a save or die. Well, I guess thats ok, cause in D&D, death doesn't stop them from living.
    Quote Originally Posted by eggynack View Post
    Barbarians are sweet at first level, especially if the main goal is indiscriminate murder.

4. - Top - End - #364
    Bugbear in the Playground

514. Play a painfully honest Changeling Beguiler.
    Last edited by ArqArturo; 2014-06-03 at 11:25 AM.
    MAGIC, n. An art of converting superstition into coin. There are other arts serving the same high purpose, but the discreet lexicographer does not name them.

Taken from The Devil's Dictionary

Spoiler
    Show
    My Warmage Guidebook (notice I said Guidebook, not Handbook), still in the works.

Pathfinder's Inquisitor Handbook.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff the Green View Post
    And they only speak barbarian tongues, which naturally consists of saying "bar bar bar" over and over again.

5. - Top - End - #365

BardGuy

Actually, since the Cure X Wounds line manipulates life energy, it really should be a Necromancy spell.

515. Play a L/E Wizard who takes body parts of the recently deceased (party members included) in order to craft alchemical (read: nonmagical) potions and specialize in dispel and antimagic effects.
    See my Extended Signature for my list of silly shenanigans.

Anyone is welcome to use or critique my 3.5 Fighter homebrew: The Vanguard.

I am a Dungeon Master for Hire that creates custom content for people and programs d20 content for the HeroLab character system. Please donate to my Patreon and visit the HeroLab forums.

6. - Top - End - #366
    Ogre in the Playground

515: Play a Changeling Rogue/Warshaper, with minimum height/weight on the character. Disguise yourself as a relatively tall Gnome. Pretend all your natural-weapon attacks are just very well-hidden weapons. If someone catches your transformations, reply "I never said I was an ORDINARY Gnome, now did I?"

I loved that character.

Quote Originally Posted by Forrestfire
    Optimization stops being practical and starts being theoretical when your DPR is measured in Tarrasques instead of hit points
    My Guides:
    PsyBomb's Guides to the Akashic Mysteries (Now with all three classes!)
    Fear Itself: the Dread

Extended Signature HERE

7. - Top - End - #367

Quote Originally Posted by illyahr View Post
    515. Play a L/E Wizard who takes body parts of the recently deceased (party members included) in order to craft alchemical (read: nonmagical) potions and specialize in dispel and antimagic effects.
    In my PF game, I had an Alchemist NPC that did exactly that. The players were scared ****less and would not take potions from him.
    MAGIC, n. An art of converting superstition into coin. There are other arts serving the same high purpose, but the discreet lexicographer does not name them.

Spoiler
    Show
    My Warmage Guidebook (notice I said Guidebook, not Handbook), still in the works.

And they only speak barbarian tongues, which naturally consists of saying "bar bar bar" over and over again.

8. - Top - End - #368

516: Upon stumbling into the treasure room do something like this:

DM describes shiny stuff on shelves etc.
    Half Ogre barbarian turns to rogue: "any traps?"
    Rogue: rolls, "Yup, gimme a sec to disable them"
    H.O. BBn: "this is taking too long!" picks up dwarf in full plate
    Me: backs out of room and hides around the corner
    H.O. BBn throws dwarf at the biggest and most impressive looking magical item shelf, effectively setting off all the traps in the room, calling the guards down on us, almost killing everyone in the room (the entire party but me) and forcing the back-up healer (me, a level 3 Favoured Soul) to spam heal the party before the guards get to us...

needless to say, we still joke about this event and threaten to do it to the Dwarf player again as he is playing a very similar character in our new game XD

9. - Top - End - #369
    Orc in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by RhoTheWanderer View Post
    *snip*
    Oh, I get it now. Thanks!

My party once made some pretty detailed backstories, then the DM Pompeii'd our entire world and threw us into a parallel universe. Needless to say, we were all pretty peeved.
    Gotta say that I'm a fan of any plan that involves an ever-heightening glacier looming over all of mankind.
    Quote Originally Posted by Flickerdart View Post
    Only cheating optimizers use dice. Real roleplayers kneel before the altar of Orcus and beg for merciful judgment.
    The Unknowable Rudisplorker, Summoner of Orcus

10. - Top - End - #370
    Halfling in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Ferronach View Post
    DM describes shiny stuff on shelves etc.
    Half Ogre barbarian turns to rogue: "any traps?"
    Rogue: rolls, "Yup, gimme a sec to disable them"
    H.O. BBn: "this is taking too long!" picks up dwarf in full plate
    Me: backs out of room and hides around the corner
    H.O. BBn throws dwarf at the biggest and most impressive looking magical item shelf, effectively setting off all the traps in the room, calling the guards down on us, almost killing everyone in the room (the entire party but me)
    lol that reminds me of a 2e AD&D campaign I was in a few years ago.
    517a. As a pc: Try to buy a magic hat from a shopkeeper. Try to haggle over the price.
    517b. As a dm: Sell a cursed hat of idiocy that cannot be removed.
    517c. As a pc: Act like a complete idiot (i.e. Pretend to have a memory & attention span that barely lasts a minute, do dumb things in character, talk in a ridiculous voice, ect.) until the other players and the dm get annoyed enough to actively try to get the hat of idiocy removed from your character.
    518. Allow the following to occur:
    Dm: "As you round the corner, the air in front of you appears to be an orange haze."
    Gnome-like character that can instantly turn into a giant: "I chuck the elf into the haze."
    DM: "Um...Ooookay?" *turns to me* Thanathalo, you take damage. And the gelatinous cube surges forward."
    Needless to say, although my CN elf ranger survived, he demanded an additional 5% share of all future loot if he were to continue functioning as the party's guinea pig. The funny part is that they agreed to it.
    Quote Originally Posted by ArqArturo View Post
    The Evokers/Warmages of the world would make statues of you (with the smoldering corpses of a thousand kobolds) if this happened.
    I appologize in advance if I get long-winded; I often seem to have great difficulty condensing my thoughts into a succinct summary.

11. - Top - End - #371
    Firbolg in the Playground

519:Play a bard that sings Disney songs for his bardic music. Sing them out loud. Keep your keys in your hand in case you get chased out of the DM's house.

12. - Top - End - #372

520: Every time a deity is mentioned IC, have your character offer a ritual sacrifice to said deity, regardless of whether you actually worship them
    520 b: Do this out of character as well, although this does lead to the awkward conversation with the DM about 'Why are there over forty goats in my front room?'

13. - Top - End - #373
    Titan in the Playground

521 Everytime a PC mentions the name of a Deity: have that deity turn up, in person, and say "What ?".
    π = 4
    Consider a 5' radius blast: this affects 4 squares which have a circumference of 40' — Actually it's worse than that.

Warped Druid Handbook

14. - Top - End - #374
    Firbolg in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

522: Tell your group you're enforcing multiclass penalties; 'forget' to mention you'll be enforcing them for Prestige Classes, also.
    Iron Chef in the Playground veteran since Round IV. Play as me!

Spoiler
    Show

15. - Top - End - #375

Devil

Quote Originally Posted by Amphetryon View Post
    522: Tell your group you're enforcing multiclass penalties; 'forget' to mention you'll be enforcing them for Prestige Classes, also.
    i apologize in advance for being wrong, im not quite there yet!

16. - Top - End - #376

523. "I'm putting the campaign on pause; it's getting too convoluted both story-wise and rules-wise all the sourcebooks we're using, and I need to play something simpler... So, that's why we're playing Rifts today".

Spoiler
    Show

17. - Top - End - #377
    Ogre in the Playground

523. "I'm putting the campaign on pause; it's getting too convoluted both story-wise and rules-wise all the sourcebooks we're using, and I need to play something simpler... So, that's why we're playing Rifts today".
    ArqArturo,
    Please keep it believable. Either that or we need to have your GM committed...

524. When a character in a 3.5 game dies and only a Druid is available, break out the old Advanced D&D reincarnate tables --- including gender and class!

18. - Top - End - #378

Quote Originally Posted by John Longarrow View Post
    ArqArturo,
    What, don't you wanna be a Glitterboy, don't you wanna do tons of Mega Damage? .

I tried that once, as a joke, and the players threw dice at me.

Spoiler
    Show

19. - Top - End - #379

525. Use the Taint rules, alongside the temptation rules of the fiend folio 2, the insanity points from Call of Cthulhu, and the Book of Vile Darkness/Fiend Folio/Heroes of Horror/Libris Mortis in your campaign for The bleakest, darkest most grimdark game ever.

526. ...Only to have your players mess it up by turning even more evil than your BBEGs .
    Last edited by ArqArturo; 2014-06-04 at 02:42 PM.

Spoiler
    Show

20. - Top - End - #380
    Troll in the Playground

527: Be a cleric of Sunny, God of Sunshine, Rainbows and Vagueness in the grimdarkness of 525. Have the divine mission of making the world a nice, not Grimdark place
    528: Be the cleric from 527, Exterminate all practitioners of the Demon Prince Pelor
    529: Reveal yourself as not just the High priest of Sunny, But as Sunny itself (as Sunny is too vague for Gender).
    Last edited by toapat; 2014-06-04 at 03:20 PM.
    My Homebrew: found here.
    When you Absolutely, Positively, Gotta Drop some Huge rocks, Accept NO Substitutes

PM Me if you would like a table from my homebrew reconstructed.

Drow avatar @ myself

21. - Top - End - #381
    Ogre in the Playground

526. ...Only to have your players mess it up by turning even more evil than your BBEGs .
    Make him the horrible, despicable BGGG (Big Good, Good Guy)
    Lol Bad bozo. Bad.
    Certainly if you have magic, or magic items that specify that is how that goes, it does. why? Because MAGIC! Does that mean that is how that works in general? Well, the same way that a wizard cast a finger of death on something and that means that whatever he points at must make a save or die. Well, I guess thats ok, cause in D&D, death doesn't stop them from living.
    Barbarians are sweet at first level, especially if the main goal is indiscriminate murder.

22. - Top - End - #382
    Titan in the Playground

530 Half way through a campaign — have several deities change alignment and exchange portfolios. Any PC related deities will have the most radical changes imaginable, of course.
    π = 4

Warped Druid Handbook

23. - Top - End - #383

Quote Originally Posted by John Longarrow View Post
    ArqArturo,

524. When a character in a 3.5 game dies and only a Druid is available, break out the old Advanced D&D reincarnate tables --- including gender and class!
    I need to find that table.
    (Probably minus class)
    Currently Playing:
    -

24. - Top - End - #384
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Sir Chuckles View Post
    I need to find that table.
    (Probably minus class)
    AD&D had two tables.
    One for Wizard which contained things like Orc and Troll, as well as the more usual races.
    One for Druid which contained various animals, sylvan things like Dryads, as well as the more usual races.

Gender was never mentioned — though I do recall making people roll 50/50 (Dwarves 66/33)
    Class was not part of the table.

Both tables contained "DM's choice".
    I did run one game where most players volunteered for the D table — because.
    Last edited by nedz; 2014-06-04 at 04:59 PM.
    π = 4

Warped Druid Handbook

25. - Top - End - #385
    Ogre in the Playground

(Dwarves 66/33)
    so there is a 1% chance a dwarf would come back without a gender?
    Last edited by Immabozo; 2014-06-04 at 06:10 PM.
    Lol Bad bozo. Bad.

26. - Top - End - #386

AD&D had two tables.
    One for Wizard which contained things like Orc and Troll, as well as the more usual races.
    One for Druid which contained various animals, sylvan things like Dryads, as well as the more usual races.

Gender was never mentioned — though I do recall making people roll 50/50 (Dwarves 66/33)
    Class was not part of the table.

Both tables contained "DM's choice".
    I did run one game where most players volunteered for the D table — because.
    Nothing spells terrifying like an angry Ranger/Barbarian Dire raccoon.

Spoiler
    Show

27. - Top - End - #387
    Ogre in the Playground

Nothing spells terrifying like an angry Ranger/Barbarian Dire raccoon. woman
    {scrubbed}
    Last edited by jdizzlean; 2022-03-03 at 03:43 AM.
    Lol Bad bozo. Bad.

28. - Top - End - #388
    Titan in the Playground

so there is a 1% chance a dwarf would come back without a gender?
    No — it's a 1% chance that no one is sure.
    π = 4

Warped Druid Handbook

29. - Top - End - #389

You just look under its beard.

Spoiler
    Show

30. - Top - End - #390
    Ogre in the Playground

I like my answer better, lol
    Lol Bad bozo. Bad.