New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 12 of 23 FirstFirst ... 2345678910111213141516171819202122 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #331
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: Civ 5: GMR part 4 - Needs salt!

The Great Consul is overjoyed that the nations of the world have seen reason, and he vows to extend the opportunities of all the peoples in his tenure.
    So Much for the Glory of Rome, a Crusader Kings 2 Let's Play

Like my musings and stories? Check out Whats the Story?, my podcast about storytelling!

2. - Top - End - #332
    Colossus in the Playground

So you're probably wondering how the great Mayan empire is fairing.

Spoiler: For spectators.
    Show

Here's an overview of the empire

In depth view of my capital.

Look at the nice Fountain of Youth

More in depth views

Demographics

And we have some mostly non existent, tourism bonuses.
    Quote Originally Posted by Deme View Post
    One day, we must all have our characters butchered by romhacks face our ends.

Won as Good Mayans on a science victory GMR 4. Won as Sweden on a science victory GMR 7. Won as Desert England on a concession victory GMR 8 Lost as Poland in GMR 3. Lost as Japan in GMR 5, Surrendered as Korea in GMR 10. Surrendered as Bad Maya in GMR 11, Lost as Shoshone in GMR 13.

3. - Top - End - #333
    Ogre in the Playground

Alright, I'm on vacation until monday. Please don't invade me till then (and AI, please don't invade them)!
    Spoiler
    Show
    Awesome Iron Chef avatars by Neoseph7! Murkrow avatar of coolness by Introbulus!

4. - Top - End - #334

So interesting side note. You can only send one diplomatic deal at a time apparently...

Spoiler: Rome
    Show

Sent you a deal, a spare luxury, for a spare luxury.

Won as Good Mayans on a science victory GMR 4. Won as Sweden on a science victory GMR 7. Won as Desert England on a concession victory GMR 8 Lost as Poland in GMR 3. Lost as Japan in GMR 5, Surrendered as Korea in GMR 10. Surrendered as Bad Maya in GMR 11, Lost as Shoshone in GMR 13.

5. - Top - End - #335
    Ogre in the Playground

And back. You can continue your invasions now!
    Spoiler
    Show
    Awesome Iron Chef avatars by Neoseph7! Murkrow avatar of coolness by Introbulus!

6. - Top - End - #336

The heck?! Almost missed a turn - site says it's banthesun's turn, but it's actually mine, as GMR client correctly shows... Good thing I happened to check the latter, too, for some reason.

No one goes on vacations anymore until the game is over, it causes bugs!
    Last edited by thirsting; 2015-03-23 at 01:40 PM.
    Well that was awkward.

7. - Top - End - #337

Yeah, it causes bugs. I can't download the save file.

8. - Top - End - #338

Guys, I need a revert or something, I can't access the save file.

9. - Top - End - #339

Triplereverting.... Seems like that did the trick to get the site and client agree on whose turn it is, so back to banthesun, again. Should have already tried this earlier really.

EEEEDIT (don't want to make a new post just for this):

Spoiler: Spoilers - to spectator(s?)
    Show

Both Carthago and Morocco have built cities right by byzantine borders, presumably to steal natural resources that would rightly belong to us. Luckily those resources, gold and sugar, are ones we are importing from elsewhere anyway already, so we'll let this pass. Still, its troubling they have settled so near without asking for permission, either of them! The nerve. Even if we did the same to India much earlier...

The war between China and Persia has been going on for a very long time. They must be in somewhat of a stalemate situation, neither able to advance. Little scouting earlier revealed they both had a lot of troops near their borders though. Couldn't see any actual fighting, nor damaged units. Maybe they are in a kind of cold war...? Either way, both of them are surely hurting economically from this prolonged hostility towards each other, but that's their loss and problem.

Our economy on the other hand is improving rapidly. Trading with Morocco, New India and Mayas keep filling our coffers, and there's finally enough money to devote on unit upgrades. Proper weapons, instead of stone clubs! Almost all of the road infrastructure is finished too, just need to have our westernmost city of Iron Side connected. The locations of strategic resources have proved mostly good, there's at least two cities with access to lots of aluminum. But. No coal. At all. Despite having the largest land area, no coal, and none of our friend city states have it either, yet, which hinders some parts of byzantine progression severely.

Last edited by thirsting; 2015-03-27 at 04:41 AM.
    Well that was awkward.

10. - Top - End - #340

Long overdue spectator tour!

Spoiler: SPECTATORS!
    Show

Our semi-glorious capitol, Marrakesh!

One turn away from Industrialization, have a great engineer ready, gonna get my Big Ben on. If I get beat to it somehow, the world will burn.

The Tri-City Area!

I'm continuing to maintain my militarized border with Rome more out of Tradition at this point than anything else. The cities themselves are decently productive, if not super big. They all have barracks/forges/stables so they are going to be my major unit producers.

The North Coast

Tangiers is a big money maker and is growing very steadily, while it and Ouarzazate are the major crossroads for my empire. My empire is way too big to have any kind of reasonable defensive line, so I'm going to be focusing on having a very mobile response force of cavalry(and mobile infantry once it hits), with much of it centered in Tangiers. It's flat, it's fortified, and from there they can get to any corner of my empire within 2 turns.

Sale, the port many songs are sung of.

A decent mercantile port city, it's a good trade hub for Carthage and Persia if they can't quite reach Marrakesh. It will also be my main naval base once I can build decent ships. Fortunately, from my mapping of the ocean in my area, the water is blocked from the wider ocean by ice. I'll only have to worry about Carthage and Persia (Rome has only one port on this part of the continent) from the sea, and of those two, Carthage would be the bigger threat.

Meknes, the Prospecting town.

There's Gold in them thar hills! The Gold and Citrus are nice, but this is mostly a slight needling at Byzantium. They're really shooting up the ranks, and having a city I can easily fortify and supply to be a distraction from my more valuable cities will be awesome.

Agadir, the forested frontier

I wasn't originally going to settle a city this far north, but it seemed like neither Rome, India or Byzantium bothered to take it so I shrugged and said *yoink*. Should be a decently productive city, but not expecting much.

Strategy wise, I'm in a weird spot where things can change. Like I mentioned, about to hit Industrialization so hopefully I have a decent amount of Coal considering how much space I cover. I should also have plenty of oil from all the desert, and similarly should have aluminum. Depending on what I do and don't have I will have to adjust my strategies. I finally have a good surplus of money and happiness, though, so I'm flexible enough to get things done.

Militarily, as I mentioned, I want to have a very mobile task force that can respond to threats wherever they come up and harass nearby cities. Cavalry and air power will be my friend. I don't really want to build up a big invasion army, as it would take forever to get anywhere and it would be hard to support it. If it comes to it, I should be able to build up some infantry to press ahead and secure any cities I've bombed.

Culturally, I am so far behind it's crazy. Not much tourism, my religion is only in half my cities (though it is the majority in Rome), and I've only got 2 policy trees filled (liberty and commerce). I am also going to have a tough decision between which ideology I choose, since my two main friends chose differently. Carthage chose Order, which fits well with my sprawl, and we've been talking, trading and being friendly for a while. If we stay friendly, then I can likely let my Navy be a token defense force. India chose Freedom, which fits my money generation plan. We've been even closer, diplomatically, but I'm not convinced of how much they could do in an actual fight.

Alternatively, I could go super crazy and pick Autocracy and be an ever present thorn in people's sides. Actually, this doesn't sound like a bad idea. If I use Gunboat Diplomacy with my mobile force, I should be able to start flipping city-states near me to be friendly, and Industrial Espionage could help me catch up technologically since I'm a fair bit behind. I don't think anyone has picked Autocracy yet, so hopefully I could be the first.

Victory-wise, I still don't think I have any real hope, but I think I could have a lot of fun.

Like my musings and stories? Check out Whats the Story?, my podcast about storytelling!

11. - Top - End - #341

Open question: I know India and Carthage have chosen their ideologies already, but in all the weird confusion of reverted turns/AI skipped stuff I'm not 100% sure if anyone else chose yet. Did you?

12. - Top - End - #342
    Ogre in the Playground

If it's your turn you can check it out yourself from one of the tabs in the tourism screen.
    Many thanks to Assassin 89 for this avatar!

13. - Top - End - #343

Quote Originally Posted by Narkis View Post
    If it's your turn you can check it out yourself from one of the tabs in the tourism screen.
    Derrrrrp, of course. I am a silly person who should pay better attention. Thank you for reminding me!

14. - Top - End - #344

The Great Consul, Ahmad al-Mansur, reminds all world leaders that the Great Shindig at Funkytown is almost upon us. Please send your grooviest RSVP and topics of discussion!

Also, our scientists have discovered vast deposits of coal in our lands. We will require some time to fully develop these, but if you are in need of any you may make proper mercantile offers.

15. - Top - End - #345
    Ettin in the Playground

China is expecting our production of gems to increase soon, and as our Emperor is running out of room to put them we will be making them available on the foreign market. Would anyone like to make an offer?
    Thanks to Veera for the avatar.

I keep my stories in a blog. You should read them.

5E Sorcerous Origin: Arcanist

Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by ClericofPhwarrr View Post
    Dhavaer, your ideas are like candy from the sky, sprinkled lightly with cinnamon.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gwyn chan 'r Gwyll View Post
    Wow. Badass without being flashy and showy, attractive while remaining classy. Bravo Dhavaer.
    Quote Originally Posted by Psyren View Post
    ...Why do I imagine you licking your lips and rubbing your hands together?

16. - Top - End - #346
    Firbolg in the Playground

Going on vacation again, so I guess my army is about to vanish again.
    "that nighted, penguin-fringed abyss" - At The Mountains of Madness, H.P. Lovecraft

When a man decides another's future behind his back, it is a conspiracy. When a god does it, it's destiny.

17. - Top - End - #347

Might be too late, but how about peace treaty between warring nations until the vacation is over? Might rein in some of the stupid the AI is prone to...

Also, Freedom for all (byzantines)! Autocracy and two free policies still waiting their taker
    Well that was awkward.

18. - Top - End - #348

I just got back from vacation, how many turns did I miss?

Also, it seems like Rome has dropped out.

19. - Top - End - #349

Invade and conquer in revenge Orcus, you know you want to.

Spoiler: For spectators
    Show

I intend to show you my empire, and get a great scientist. From now on, all updates will be shown, and science victory is scheduled for 2 weeks.

The scout silently scouts out the land.

More land.

I choose to believe we literally sacrificed the scientist and got tech from the gods.

Yay! Science of the military variety.

I'm grabbing radio next, and am on the road to plastics. I think with radio, that should also let me select an ideology. I'm going order.

The western islands.

The southern squirtle squad. (That is now the official name of the troops stationed on the southern border.)

The western boarder is also ready for combat. Just not as much.

And the worker gave me coal for Christmas!

My capital. Bask in it's glory.

Tikal, my second city. With it's natural wonder.

Chichen Itza. Working on it's public school.

Leng. Augmenting my military.

Mu Palenque.

Who's a shiny new city, with a shiny new university. You are! Yes you are!

Policies. Full liberty, with dips in Patronage, and Rationalism.

My tourism.... Clearly not my strong point.

On the bright side. Cathrage is the best, and not even familiar with me yet.

Totally voting for science funding.

20. - Top - End - #350

The Great Consul Ahmad al-Mansur will not have his foreign policy dictated by the hated Maya.

Spoiler: Maya
    Show
    Nothing personal, it's just that Driderman had claimed ALL the good desert beliefs/wonders and I'm still kinda bitter about it.

21. - Top - End - #351

The Mayan people are under new management. And are willing to let bygones be bygones. Is it fair for us to pay for the crimes of the previous administration?

Spoiler: Orcus
    Show

I knew you were bitter about something.

As it is. I did actually need/benefit from them. If you'd like a capital map as proof, I can provide one next turn.

22. - Top - End - #352

Quote Originally Posted by Illven View Post
    The Mayan people are under new management. And are willing to let bygones be bygones. Is it fair for us to pay for the crimes of the previous administration?

Spoiler: Orcus
    Show

I knew you were bitter about something.

As it is. I did actually need/benefit from them. If you'd like a capital map as proof, I can provide one next turn.
    That Old Black Magic teaches us that there are many ways to be happy. Forgiveness is not strictly among them, but we will offer you the benefit of the doubt. For now. May you strive to make ALL the world happy, rather than just your elite in Sarnath.

Spoiler: Maya
    Show
    Like I said, not personal, no need for proof.

23. - Top - End - #353
    Ogre in the Playground

GMR's saying it's my turn but giving me thirsting's turn.
    Spoiler
    Show

24. - Top - End - #354

Try reverting it yourself, if you're able. I'm unable to access the site from work now, it seems...

Nevermind, sneaked phone in and reverted with that.
    Last edited by thirsting; 2015-04-16 at 03:44 AM.
    Well that was awkward.

25. - Top - End - #355
    Ogre in the Playground

I didn't even know that was a thing! Thanks for the fix though!
    Spoiler
    Show

26. - Top - End - #356

Why do you hate fun, Persians?
    Well that was awkward.

27. - Top - End - #357

Quote Originally Posted by thirsting View Post

If the Byzantines seek happiness and merriment, perhaps they should start welcoming That Old Black Magic into their hearts.

28. - Top - End - #358
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by thirsting View Post

I hate production races starting when I won't have factories for 10 turns.
    "that nighted, penguin-fringed abyss" - At The Mountains of Madness, H.P. Lovecraft

When a man decides another's future behind his back, it is a conspiracy. When a god does it, it's destiny.

29. - Top - End - #359

Spoiler: Persia
    Show
    We are most pleased to allow free access between our nations. If I may be so bold, may I hazard a guess that you are in need of some happiness? That Old Black Magic is open to all!

30. - Top - End - #360

Spoiler: For spectators
    Show

The year 12.7.3.6.5 AKA. Who the hell knows what year the peons are using for their false calender.

The doom ships scour the world, looking for new lands to bring doom apon.

All is quiet upon the western front. But our sages tell of a time near in coming, where the lands shall be burned with fires of the sun.

Our citizens, under the threat of DOOM! start to move iron from the ground. We need our DOOM suits pressed.

Also they are putting plants into the ground. Clearly that'll save us from the sun's fire. Because Grass totally isn't weak against fire.

The Southern Squirtle Squad holds their eternal vigil. This may not be it's final form, but they will evolve when the time is right.

More coal for DOOMAS!

We'll trade death prophecy here. Replace death of first born for death by bears!

The doom prophets move across the land. They are kinda bad at getting followers though.

Doom capital!

The Fountain of blood brings people joy!

Public schools. Yeah no that's perfect for a doomed city.

Look at this city! Look at it!

Gems! So that your relationship isn't doomed!

Palenque. Soon it'll have aluminium

The north most doomed city.

Ten turns till plastics~ Which will doom the environment!

Ghandi.... My greatest foe.

May every man have the freedom to die how he wants.

Hmmm... Brb, going to buy an observatory so that if the sun moves to attack, we'll know.

Byzantium seems unhappy about the amount of Doom in their diet.

People are unaware of their coming Doom.

Oh huh. Persia pretty much has to go order, or they'll be miserable.