New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 8 of 23 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161718 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #211
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: Civ 5: GMR part 4 - Needs salt!

Moroccan diplomacy!

Spoiler: Carthage
    Show
    We are most pleased to allow our peoples to pass un-molested in each others empires. Have you had a chance to think about our other proposal of anti-pirate outposts along the coast?

Spoiler: Byzantium
    Show
    After much toil, we are in a position to finally ensure that you are the only Rome in town. However, I do not want to take any such action if it will be to the detriment of the opinions of my neighbours, and our coffers are beginning to run dry. Can you please advise if having the pretender gone is worth something to you?

Spoiler: India
    Show
    So, Rome is basically giving up, and is offering his lands up for spoil. I haven't quite met you yet, but I have a scout on the way.

I have a very daring proposal for you: We divide Rome up between us. I am willing to let you have Rome and Antium, so long as I get his third city which is closest to me and preferential settling rights to Rome's south. We obviously cannot make this deal public until we have formally met. When we meet, I will send you a friendship request. I will take acceptance of that as an acceptance of this deal.

I was feeling pretty low about my chances in this game, but now I feel a lot better. If this deal goes well, perhaps we might consider a more formal arrangement.
    So Much for the Glory of Rome, a Crusader Kings 2 Let's Play

Like my musings and stories? Check out Whats the Story?, my podcast about storytelling!

2. - Top - End - #212

Spoiler: To Morocco
    Show
    Please stop perpetuating the lie of Byzantine people sharing any history with the Romans. There never was such history.

We would like any hostilities ceased, in what ever manner possible. Safe trade routes are what we want, and any war-like events that disrupt them are not to our liking. In other words, please do end the war between your people and Rome in any way you see fit.

~ Byzantine representative
    Last edited by thirsting; 2014-10-15 at 09:47 AM.
    Well that was awkward.

3. - Top - End - #213

Spoiler: Byzantium
    Show
    Very well. Hostilities may need to continue for a short period as the demands for revenge of my people are sated, but al-Mansur seeks a swift end to the war as well.

As to trade, Morocco is more than pleased to offer trade! The northern coasts of the Moroccan sea have had to be left to themselves for the duration of the war, but if you are able to clear them of any barbarian tribes then we will be able to accommodate trade before long. Tangiers and Trader's Rest seem close enough to begin the process.

Like my musings and stories? Check out Whats the Story?, my podcast about storytelling!

4. - Top - End - #214
    Titan in the Playground

Spoiler: Morocco
    Show
    Your proposal seems sensible.

Our navy has established that the waters between our respective territories are clear of pirates for the moment, but there is a small band of brigands encamped along the desert coast, and it will take us some time to assemble a patrolling force. If you manage to eliminate the camp before we can do so, let us know so that we can begin sending trade ships; we will likewise inform you.

Our Queen would also like to inform you that our recent treaty allows you access to the Inner Carthaginian Sea via the canal city of Gades. We have several prosperous cities along the coast, including our capital - these will likely be more lucrative markets for your traders than Gades.
    Avatar by GryffonDurime. Thanks!

5. - Top - End - #215
    Firbolg in the Playground

An open letter to China

"For economic reasons we have decided to downsize our army and replace it with a smaller, more elite force. However sadly the supply of nomadic barbarians our troops have practised on so far is much reduced, therefore your co-operation in this training exercise is required.

Yours sincerely, King Darius of Persia"

((yes, this is a war declaration))
    Last edited by Closet_Skeleton; 2014-10-16 at 04:22 AM.
    "that nighted, penguin-fringed abyss" - At The Mountains of Madness, H.P. Lovecraft

When a man decides another's future behind his back, it is a conspiracy. When a god does it, it's destiny.

6. - Top - End - #216
    Colossus in the Playground

Yay War! Fight for our amusement.

Pictures will be appreciated.
    Quote Originally Posted by Deme View Post
    One day, we must all have our characters butchered by romhacks face our ends.

Won as Good Mayans on a science victory GMR 4. Won as Sweden on a science victory GMR 7. Won as Desert England on a concession victory GMR 8 Lost as Poland in GMR 3. Lost as Japan in GMR 5, Surrendered as Korea in GMR 10. Surrendered as Bad Maya in GMR 11, Lost as Shoshone in GMR 13.

7. - Top - End - #217

"So much death and devastation, all for what? Though we are far removed from the conflict, the suffering of our own peoples bring to mind horrible visions of what will come to pass as Persia sees conflict as the way forward against their neighbours. Is the world so small that we must squabble like children over a toy? May Peace be Upon You, Persia."
    -The response of Ahmad al-Mansur to the Persian ambassador announcing the invasion of China.

Show
    I have cavalry riding out to deal with these barbarian pirates as we speak, and they should be dealt with soon.

As to the Carthaginian Sea, I have yet to witness its splendor, and I hope that my ships may indeed pass through your canal to behold its glory.
    Last edited by OrcusMcP; 2014-10-16 at 08:28 AM.

8. - Top - End - #218
    Ogre in the Playground

Show
    After consulting with our allies, we have decided we would be able to incorporate the citizens of Rome into the New Indian Empire, but the city of Antium may still lie outside our political reach. The people displaced by this conflict are of course of great concern, and we anticipate further negotiations. Our exploratory force is on its way through the deserts near Belgrade as we speak, and we look foward to the establishment of offical communication channels.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Awesome Iron Chef avatars by Neoseph7! Murkrow avatar of coolness by Introbulus!

9. - Top - End - #219

Quote Originally Posted by Illven View Post
    Yay War! Fight for our amusement.

Pictures will be appreciated.
    here you go

Spoiler: to spectators
    Show
    Last edited by Closet_Skeleton; 2014-10-17 at 06:14 AM.
    "that nighted, penguin-fringed abyss" - At The Mountains of Madness, H.P. Lovecraft

When a man decides another's future behind his back, it is a conspiracy. When a god does it, it's destiny.

10. - Top - End - #220
    Ogre in the Playground

Incidentally, I'd appreciate a PM if my input is needed here. The game's a bit stressful to keep up with while I can't participate directly, and I've been avoiding the thread.
    Currently playing the Imperial Space Corps in Blood Bowl! We won't rest until everyone has Guard.

11. - Top - End - #221

Show
    The plan is cancelled. Luzahn is coming back, and while he will be coming back to an empire in flames from barbarians, at least I'm alive with all my cities.

12. - Top - End - #222

Spoiler: to morroco
    Show
    Do not be quick to burn bridges between us. You might be against military expansionists today, but you never know when you might need one around.

13. - Top - End - #223

Quote Originally Posted by Closet_Skeleton View Post
    Spoiler: to morroco
    Show
    Do not be quick to burn bridges between us. You might be against military expansionists today, but you never know when you might need one around.
    Spoiler: Persia
    Show
    Burning bridges is an active thing, and our Great Consul merely offered his thoughts. Should a man who has had to watch his nation burn and his people scattered be joyous at the news that another people will suffer the same fate?

14. - Top - End - #224

Spoiler: Spectators!
    Show
    Show week has mad it very difficult to keep up with my games, but I am managing by the skin of my teeth. Sadly, however, I have no screenshots for all you lovelies.

I will however, offer some insights into my situation:

RE: Rome. Luzahn is apparently coming back, and I am willing to just let bygones be bygones. It'll be a better story/game with him in it than with me/India getting all his stuff. He will be in rough shape when he comes back in, since barbarians are wrecking all of his stuff, but Rome as a civ gets better as time goes on due to their ability.

RE: My situation. The army I had to field to stay alive was costing all my money. Now, my income is neutral, and no one besides Rome and Milan is yet close enough to trade with. This is very frustrating. Carthage is not too far away by boat, and both of us are trying to clear the coast between us of barbs so hopefully we can get some trade boats going before long.

RE: India. We have finally met! I originally thought to split Rome down the middle with them (again, better story then me taking everything) but decided against it when Rome cancelled his surrender. Hopefully we will stay friendly.

RE: My plans. I am too far behind to actually win, and lost too many valuable beliefs and wonders to be a dominant player. I have 3 more cities I want to found, one on the northern coast of my sea, one to my west along the coast to Carthage, and another on the coast to my south east, past Milan. They will have to wait for the moment, as I am waiting to finally hit Medieval age. I have been saving up my policies and want to get Commerce up and running.

Long term, I still think my best bet is to be a subversive kingmaker. Persia, Maya, Carthage and Byzantium are all going to be the big players this round, and they are all very close to each other. If I can be seen as an "honest broker" that needs to be swayed to one side or another, then I will be successful. If I can use my (hopefully) vast cash reserves to bribe/subsidize belligerants, then so much the better.

My spite for this game, after digging through who got what wonders/beliefs, I may have to ensure that Maya dies. Seriously? You're going to get Desert Folklore AND Petra when you live in the jungle? Screw you, Pacal. There's no way you didn't do that just to piss me off.

15. - Top - End - #225

I will be away between Thursday and Monday. This will probably cause the AI to send my army to its death in my current war.

16. - Top - End - #226

The announcement was strange, but the Great Consul was clear: He had fallen to the sway of that Old Black Magic, and he intended for all the lands of Morocco and beyond to do the same!

17. - Top - End - #227
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Closet_Skeleton View Post
    I will be away between Thursday and Monday. This will probably cause the AI to send my army to its death in my current war.
    The AI is...bad at that.
    Currently playing the Imperial Space Corps in Blood Bowl! We won't rest until everyone has Guard.

18. - Top - End - #228

Quote Originally Posted by Luzahn View Post
    The AI is...bad at that.
    Turns out that having a worker sent off in a completly different direction is even more annoying. I now have a bug where I can't change some of my unit's orders and they move at the start of my turn before I can tell them not to.

19. - Top - End - #229

I had that too long ago. Can't remember what exactly I did to fix it... but at one point I did try choosing the non-responsive unit, then clicked it to 'move' to the spot where it already was, which should make it cancel it's last orders it's stuck with. Try that next time, might do it.

Edit: Oh, right. Banthesun had this problem too earlier in this game, but changing or removing turn-password helped. Read Tazziks' post here: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/mul...3213224904483/
    Last edited by thirsting; 2014-11-04 at 08:45 AM.
    Well that was awkward.

20. - Top - End - #230
    Colossus in the Playground

I had that problem in one of my games as well. I think clicking on the unit under the military overview (Where you see all your units) allowed me to cancel it's orders. I'd need to play another turn to be sure.
    Quote Originally Posted by Deme View Post
    One day, we must all have our characters butchered by romhacks face our ends.

Won as Good Mayans on a science victory GMR 4. Won as Sweden on a science victory GMR 7. Won as Desert England on a concession victory GMR 8 Lost as Poland in GMR 3. Lost as Japan in GMR 5, Surrendered as Korea in GMR 10. Surrendered as Bad Maya in GMR 11, Lost as Shoshone in GMR 13.

21. - Top - End - #231

It's fine now.

Spoiler: to spectators
    Show
    Not in the mood for a big post, but I'm currently retreating in the face of too many Chinese composite bows. He has walls on his cities now so my chance to take any of them is probably over. Should have prepared better.

Not having enough archers compared to spearmen and no cavalry has made taking out enemies too difficult.
    Last edited by Closet_Skeleton; 2014-11-04 at 01:29 PM.

22. - Top - End - #232

Spoiler: Spectators - 99 bottles of... uh, 99 turns of Civ later
    Show
    Spoiler: Capital some 20 turns ago
    Show

Yes, we built a Great Lighthouse in Pangaea map. With only one coastal city. And with only one tiny flamethrower boat benefiting from it.

Spoiler: This is what happiness looks like. Like 14 points of it.
    Show

Our empire and revealed map still look almost exactly the same as in these screenshots from 20 turns back. We are traditional, and dislike destabilizing change.
    Well that was awkward.

23. - Top - End - #233
    Ogre in the Playground

Show
    Just thought I should let you know, there's a barbarian camp between Tangier and Fes, if you haven't spotted it yet.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Awesome Iron Chef avatars by Neoseph7! Murkrow avatar of coolness by Introbulus!

24. - Top - End - #234

Spoiler: To Rome
    Show
    Now that you have, however temporarily it might be, stopped the hostilities between Yourself and Morocco, we have finally been given permission to start exporting our surplus oranges and other fruits, in exchange for your quality salts. Do we have a deal?

~unofficial leader of the unofficial trader's guild of Byzantium
    Well that was awkward.

25. - Top - End - #235

Quote Originally Posted by banthesun View Post
    Show
    Just thought I should let you know, there's a barbarian camp between Tangier and Fes, if you haven't spotted it yet.
    Show
    Oh I'm sure there's a couple, I'm cleaning up one to my south right now. I'm still trying to get my economy properly under control after the Roman war.

26. - Top - End - #236
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by thirsting View Post
    Spoiler: To Rome
    Show
    Now that you have, however temporarily it might be, stopped the hostilities between Yourself and Morocco, we have finally been given permission to start exporting our surplus oranges and other fruits, in exchange for your quality salts. Do we have a deal?

~unofficial leader of the unofficial trader's guild of Byzantium
    Spoiler: To Byzantium:
    Show
    This arrangement would be most welcome. We can dispatch a caravan at once.
    Last edited by Luzahn; 2014-11-06 at 09:12 AM.

27. - Top - End - #237

Moroccan Diplomacy

Spoiler: Byzantium (also includes an edit to fix bad phrasing)
    Show
    Warmest of Greetings to the Warmest of Queens, the Great Consul has some of that Old Black Magic to discuss with you!

As you know, our war with Rome has ended with reasonably equitable terms, and Morocco is once again prosperous. We are prepared to soon build trading outposts. One will be to our west along the coast towards our fellow Mercantalists of Carthage. We also wish to found an outpost on the northern coast of the Moroccan sea, which would be close enough to your territory for trading. As I am sure you are aware, founding a new city is not cheap, but you must also know that Moroccan trade is particularly juicy. Therefore, if you would be willing to subsidize some of the outfitting of the colony, you would have access to our trade that much faster. We ask only for 150 gold, and I would also owe you aminor favour to be called upon later, perhaps in a diplomatic argument. Thoughts?

Spoiler: India (another edit for bad wording)
    Show
    Great India! We now have the means to offer proper diplomatic contact rather than simply using clandestine backchannels!

As you know, our war with Rome has ended with reasonably equitable terms, and Morocco is once again prosperous. We are prepared to soon build trading outposts. One will be to our west along the coast towards our fellow Mercantalists of Carthage. We also wish to found an outpost on the northern coast of the Moroccan sea, which would be close enough to your territory for trading. As I am sure you are aware, founding a new city is not cheap, but you must also know that Moroccan trade is particularly juicy. Therefore, if you would be willing to subsidize some of the outfitting of the colony, you would have access to our trade that much faster. We ask only for 75 gold, as well as owing you a minor favour to be called upon later, perhaps in a diplomatic argument. Thoughts?

Spoiler: Rome
    Show
    Well, Ceasar, at least we now have an agreed upon border. Can we at least bury the hatchet for now and talk trade?

Show
    Beauteous Dido, our Old Black Magic is finally letting us become prosperous again, and our trading outpost on the coast should be built soon and the pirates cleared. However, we are still rebuilding form the ravages of the war with Rome, so the colonial expedition is moving slower than expected. Would you be able to spare 75 gold to help us along? The sooner the outpost is built, the sooner you can enjoy enhanced Moroccan trade. We will also owe you a minor favour to be call upon later, perhaps in a diplomatic argument. Thoughts?
    Last edited by OrcusMcP; 2014-11-10 at 03:04 PM.

28. - Top - End - #238

Quote Originally Posted by OrcusMcP View Post
    Spoiler: Byzantium (also includes an edit to fix bad phrasing)
    Show
    Warmest of Greetings to the Warmest of Queens, the Great Consul has some of that Old Black Magic to discuss with you!

As you know, our war with Rome has ended with reasonably equitable terms, and Morocco is once again prosperous. We are prepared to soon build trading outposts. One will be to our west along the coast towards our fellow Mercantalists of Carthage. We also wish to found an outpost on the northern coast of the Moroccan sea, which would be close enough to your territory for trading. As I am sure you are aware, founding a new city is not cheap, but you must also know that Moroccan trade is particularly juicy. Therefore, if you would be willing to subsidize some of the outfitting of the colony, you would have access to our trade that much faster. We ask only for 150 gold, and I would also owe you aminor favour to be called upon later, perhaps in a diplomatic argument. Thoughts?
    Show
    We wholeheartedly wish we could aid you, but in the words of our minister of finances:
    "Mwahaha *snort, pause* .. huahahaha!".

I got the impression our empire is currently unwilling to invest in much anything, building all those marble palaces simply have eaten too much into our resources. We would need trade routes before we could help you with securing yours.

Our dear Empress had an idea though. Bold, radical idea. Perhaps we could trade the control of whole cities to make the trade between our empires that much easier? Unable to sway her mind, our ministers have reluctantly decided to offer a settlement called Trader's Rest for you. Perhaps you have a city you would like to give under our control, in exchange for this one of ours? As a bonus, you would get easier access to New Indian markets, as well as to few of our smaller city state friends. Here in the Warmth of our Empire you would also have some added security against future invasion attempts.

~ Byzantine ambassador

Spoiler: Trader's Rest
    Show
    (Old screenshot. It's size five or six city now, by a river. Comes with truffles, horses, wheat and lots of jungle. India's capital just some dozen tiles to East.)
    Last edited by thirsting; 2014-11-11 at 06:25 AM.
    Well that was awkward.

29. - Top - End - #239
    Ogre in the Playground

Show
    We're afraid we'll have to decline your offer at present. Despite the substantial development the NIE has been undergoing, we currently have little trade infrastructure available, and what little we have is currently dedicated to our sister states.

We continue to wish you all the best in your endeavours.
    Spoiler
    Show

30. - Top - End - #240

Spoiler: To Byzantium
    Show
    That is indeed a bold offer, and one worth considering! However the Great Consul believes the city lies too far from the center of our authority to properly administrate, and we would not have a city of equivalent value to offer in return. Thank you, though, it is good to know that trade negotiation is not dead in this world.

Show
    Ah, that is most unfortunate. Hopefully we will have our new city up and running soon, so that we may begin our trading before long.