Page 11 of 24 FirstFirst ... 23456789101112131415161718192021 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #301
    Ogre in the Playground

DrowGuy

Default Re: Let's Watch FMA: Brotherhood

hmmm...
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quick question about the order of the episodes. Are there any scenes where Hohenheim's immortal nature is revealed before he and Father are revealed to be different entities?

I remember that first confronting Father happened after escaping from Gluttony's stomach, and that's coming soon. I also remember that in the manga there was the scene of Hohenheim being shot by bandits on his way towards Central, but that was scrapped in Brotherhood. I do seem to remember they kept the scene where he prepares one of the points of his counter transmutation circle after talking to the souls within him.

Basically I just want to know if the show teases the Father-Hohenheim thing anymore before the confrontation clearly seperates the two.
    Avatar based on artwork by Jabari Weathers

2. - Top - End - #302
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Randomguy View Post
    Episode 21: Advance of the Fool

Edward's plan to use himself as bait to lure out homunculi by fighting Scar is... poorly thought out. It hinges on him being able to survive while fighting Scar for long enough that the homunculi have time to interfere, and even if their plan worked perfectly, then what? Track the homunculi back to their base? Ling's plan was even worse. As far as I can tell, it consists of four simple steps.
    Step 1: Confront homunculus.
    Step 2: Tell the homunculus they can track him, leaving him no choice but to kill them.
    Step 3: ???
    Step 4: Profit.

If anything, Ling's interference will keep make it so that the homunculi take more time to get to Edward, which just reduces Edward's chances of survival.
    Ling was the plan,
    Step 1: Start fight with scar
    Step 2: Survive long enough for homunculi to show up.
    Step 3: Ling and company attack and kidnap homunculus
    Step 4: ???
    Step 5: Immortality
    Thanks to Linklele for my new avatar!
    If i had superpowers. I would go to conventions dressed as myself, and see if i got complimented on my authenticity.

3. - Top - End - #303
    Firbolg in the Playground

Griffon

I didn't remember how powerful Ep 20 was, very well excecuted. Same as 21 too, I suppose.

And it's getting really intersting in the next couple of episodes (not that they would have been boring up to now either). It's not quite my favourite part of the story, butb close.
    Alamryn Kven, a druid who tries very hard not to be useless.
    Celesta Halla, a fearless barbarian.
    Jheren Falconer, a drifter ranger.
    Rhenner Calami, a snarky medic with an untrustworthy memory.

DMing Ljonarian Enigma: Imperial Affairs and The Pirate Dream: Sliced Heart

4. - Top - End - #304
    Barbarian in the Playground

DwarfFighterGuy

I've been away from GITP for a while and have only just come back to it. I just spent the last 90 minutes reading all of your impressions and I'm loving just how much you're either right on the money on or what you're very, VERY close to being correct on.

My history with FMA is that I watched FMA '03 back when it originally aired on Toonami/Adult Swim(I don't remember which it was at the time but I'm leaning towards Saturday night Toonami). A few years later, I found the manga and read that monthly up until the end. Once Brotherhood came out I actually watched the subs for it as they came out, still the only anime series that I have done that for. I am absolutely in love with FMA and think that it is one of the few gold standards of Shonen anime that all others should be working towards, others being Rurouni Kenshin/Cowboy Bebop/TTGL. The only problems I have with Brotherhood are the rush job of the first ~15 episodes, as it almost completely cuts out the introduction of a character who is actually somewhat important later on, and it doesn't have the same emphasis on music that the other three I mentioned do(not to say the soundtrack is bad, because it isn't).

I will be following this thread now, just to watch the reactions and emotions you go through as you watch, what is probably, my absolute favorite animated series ever.

5. - Top - End - #305
    Titan in the Playground

Hehehehehehe.
    Spoiler: Some comments on stuff you predicted right/not quite right
    Show

Edward came to the conclusion that the Homunculi are looking for alchemists that have gone through the portal and seen the Truth, if that's the case then how is Mustang a candidate? I've already mentioned this earlier, but I came up with a new possibility: What if they plan to put Mustang through the portal first, and then use him as a sacrifice? That would mean that he's a potential candidate because he can probably survive going through the portal.
    YOU FIGURED IT OUT!

I don't think Hohenheim can actually be The Father. That would mean that Hohenheim is over 200 years old and has known about the philosopher's stone for at least that long, but we have reason to believe he found out stuff about the philosopher's stone more recently (from his comment to Izumi about a lifelong dream come true or something). He could still be in league with the Sins though.
    Hehehehehehehehehehe.
    Ludicrus Gaming: on games and story
    Quote Originally Posted by Saph
    Unless everyone's been lying to me and the next bunch of episodes are The Great Divide II, The Great Divide III, Return to the Great Divide, and Bride of the Great Divide, in which case I hate you all and I'm never touching Avatar again.

6. - Top - End - #306
    Ogre in the Playground

frown Re: Let's Watch FMA: Brotherhood

Episode 22: Backs in the Distance

Watchthrough Thoughts
    • Near the beginning of the episode, Scar's going on about his religion, but he's just using it to rationalize his revenge.
    • I noticed after the flashback that if you look closely at Scar's right arm, you can see the scar tissue right below his shoulder, above the tattoo. In retrospect that should have been a clue.
    • When Edward interposed himself between Winry and Scar, Scar was reminded of his brother protecting him, but the first thing that jumped into my head was Dr. Rockbell protecting his wife.

Episode Notes

At first I was starting to think that Ling was out of character in his first appearance, with all his talk of loyalty now, since Edward and Alfonse did nothing but help him and he repaid them by threatening them. Then I realized that he wasn't really being inconsistent: His loyalty only applies to his own people. To him, Edward and Alphonse were just outsiders, and they stood in his way of saving his clan, so he was justified in threatening them.

Scar's master: "I know the animosity you feel, but your vengeance will only sow the seeds of further violence. What you're doing is senseless revenge, and it's feeding a fruitless of death. You must end this cycle once and for all".

Scar, to Edward: "Until one of us dies, boy, this chain of hatred will continue."

GAAAH YOU DELIBERATELY OBTUSE DUNDERHEAD HOW COULD YOU POSSIBLY THINK ENDING THE CYCLE OF DEATH MEANS THAT ONE OF YOU HAS TO DIE!? How is that even a possible interpretation of his wise old master's advice? He meant forgiveness! The opposite of the thing Scar's doing!

Poor Winry, having to go through all that. Her decision not to shoot Scar illustrates the difference between him and her. Even though she was going through almost the same trauma he was, she didn't try to kill him like he killed her parents.

Things to add to my List Of Stuff That Will Become Important Later:
    • Scar's arm is his brother's arm.

7. - Top - End - #307

Griffon

They've chanced the pacing from the manga a bit, haven't they? I don't remember this much about Scar and his past being told yet at this point. It works quite well this way though, I have to say.

(I could misremember of course.)
    Last edited by CWater; 2014-07-15 at 11:54 AM.

8. - Top - End - #308

Quote Originally Posted by CWater View Post
    They've chanced the pacing from the manga a bit, haven't they? I don't remember this much about Scar and his past being told yet at this point. It works quite well this way though, I have to say.

(I could misremember of course.)
    It must have happened early in the manga, because its pretty similar in the anime except for a few big changes and only the really early bit of the manga is in the anime apart from a few details that get woven into a completely different context.
    "that nighted, penguin-fringed abyss" - At The Mountains of Madness, H.P. Lovecraft

When a man decides another's future behind his back, it is a conspiracy. When a god does it, it's destiny.

9. - Top - End - #309

Griffon

Quote Originally Posted by Closet_Skeleton View Post
    It must have happened early in the manga, because its pretty similar in the anime except for a few big changes and only the really early bit of the manga is in the anime apart from a few details that get woven into a completely different context.
    Oh, it is very similiar. But they have made small changes even in the later episodes as I've noticed on this watchthrough. Mostly it's that they've left out some details and sometimes added others. I just don't remember when this hand thing was brought up. I could check...

EDIT: Ah, I did remember it right. In the manga the whole matter was hinted at but still left vague at this point and only fully explained later (along with the death of Winry's parents)

Spoiler
    Show
    in the Isbalan War flashback arc.

I'd say it actually works better this way though.
    Last edited by CWater; 2014-07-15 at 12:09 PM.

10. - Top - End - #310
    Titan in the Playground

Scar's master: "I know the animosity you feel, but your vengeance will only sow the seeds of further violence. What you're doing is senseless revenge, and it's feeding a fruitless of death. You must end this cycle once and for all".

Scar, to Edward: "Until one of us dies, boy, this chain of hatred will continue."

GAAAH YOU DELIBERATELY OBTUSE DUNDERHEAD HOW COULD YOU POSSIBLY THINK ENDING THE CYCLE OF DEATH MEANS THAT ONE OF YOU HAS TO DIE!? How is that even a possible interpretation of his wise old master's advice? He meant forgiveness! The opposite of the thing Scar's doing!
    Scar definitely needs to arm himself with some better philosophy, huh?
    Unless everyone's been lying to me and the next bunch of episodes are The Great Divide II, The Great Divide III, Return to the Great Divide, and Bride of the Great Divide, in which case I hate you all and I'm never touching Avatar again.

11. - Top - End - #311
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by CarpeGuitarrem View Post
    Scar definitely needs to arm himself with some better philosophy, huh?
    *hisses and boos at bad pun*

Formerly known as "Herpestidae."
    Most of my posts are done by mobile. Expect typos.
    Quote Originally Posted by Frozen_Feet View Post
    Things don't magically stop being fun when you reach a certain age.

12. - Top - End - #312
    Titan in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    The best part is that the pun makes sense now, but it also makes more sense when he gets his other arm.

13. - Top - End - #313
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Herpestidae View Post
    *hisses and boos at bad pun*
    Don't be so negative. Give the man a hand with his punning if it offends you so much.
    Linguist and Invoker of Orcus of the Rudisplorker's Guild
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    Fantasy literature is ONLY worthwhile for what it can tell us about the real world; everything else is petty escapism.
    No author should have to take the time to say, "This little girl ISN'T evil, folks!" in order for the reader to understand that. It should be assumed that no first graders are irredeemably Evil unless the text tells you they are.

14. - Top - End - #314
    Titan in the Playground

You should be lucky; I normally charge an arm and a leg for my puns, but you got that one free.

15. - Top - End - #315
    Ogre in the Playground

You should be lucky; I normally charge an arm and a leg for my puns, but you got that one free.
    Oh, is that what happened to Edward?

16. - Top - End - #316
    Titan in the Playground

You can't handle the truth!

17. - Top - End - #317
    Ettin in the Playground

Ed and Al do have a leg up on us there.
    Linguist and Invoker of Orcus of the Rudisplorker's Guild
    Fantasy literature is ONLY worthwhile for what it can tell us about the real world; everything else is petty escapism.
    No author should have to take the time to say, "This little girl ISN'T evil, folks!" in order for the reader to understand that. It should be assumed that no first graders are irredeemably Evil unless the text tells you they are.

18. - Top - End - #318
    Troll in the Playground

I'm going to go on a limb and say those puns are really starting to blow. A bit like Scar's victims, really.
    I'm sig'ing in the rain, just sig'ing in the rain....

Somme old avatars, by me
    Spoiler
    Show

-

19. - Top - End - #319
    Titan in the Playground

I feel like I've committed punnin' transmutation: the greatest sin of alchemy.

20. - Top - End - #320
    Dwarf in the Playground

You people are the reason Father hates humanity.
    " Welcome, Nerevar. Together we shall speak for the Law and the Land, and shall drive the mongrel dogs of the Empire from Morrowind. "

21. - Top - End - #321
    Ogre in the Playground

You sure do have a firm grasp of arm puns, but some of them are starting to feel like a reach.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Awesome Iron Chef avatars by Neoseph7! Murkrow avatar of coolness by Introbulus!

22. - Top - End - #322
    Titan in the Playground

(I was gonna be good, but...)

Nonsense!

* THIS ARM-PUNNING TECHNIQUE HAS BEEN PASSED DOWN THROUGH * THE ARMSTRONG FAMILY LINE * FOR GENERATIONS!!! * FEEL ITS BEAUTY!!! ITS FINESSE!!!
    Last edited by CarpeGuitarrem; 2014-07-16 at 10:49 AM.

23. - Top - End - #323
    Ettin in the Playground

Se should call the army to deal with this problem.

Formerly known as "Herpestidae."
    Most of my posts are done by mobile. Expect typos.
    Quote Originally Posted by Frozen_Feet View Post
    Things don't magically stop being fun when you reach a certain age.

24. - Top - End - #324
    Troll in the Playground

Ishval of these puns are terrible. I fear that they Mustanger some of us.
    Avatar Credit: the very talented PseudoStraw. Full image:
    Spoiler
    Show

25. - Top - End - #325
    Titan in the Playground

No need to be hotheaded about it, though. It's a snap to start having fun from them.

(Basically, Randomguy should post the next episode before we all die a fiery pun death. )

26. - Top - End - #326
    Troll in the Playground

No need to be hotheaded about it, though. It's a snap to start having fun from them.

(Basically, Randomguy should post the next episode before we all die a fiery pun death. )
    There's a colonel of truth in there.
    Avatar Credit: the very talented PseudoStraw. Full image:
    Spoiler
    Show

27. - Top - End - #327
    Ogre in the Playground

eek Re: Let's Watch FMA: Brotherhood

Ask, and you shall receive. Although to tell The Truth it's a shame to end all these beautiful puns.

Episode 23: Girl on the Battlefield

Watchthrough Thoughts
    • From the title I'm guessing we get to find out how the conflict in Ishval actually started, and not just the official story. Either that, or May Chang shows, or Winry decides to takes a level in badass so she doesn't have to watch helplessly while people die, or maybe Ross/Hawkeye/Ling's bodyguard. Either way, I'm excited.
    • It looks kind of like all of the above so far. (Except Ross and the Ishval stuff)
    • At first I was surprised May Chang didn't recognize Edward, but then I realized he doesn't have his trademark coat with him.
    • That trick with the daggers is cool. I wonder if it's a common thing in Alcahestry, or if it's May Chang's special trick?
    • I kinda feel a little sorry for Gluttony, all tied up like that.
    • Nevermind.

Episode Notes

I'll admit, when Latvan (I'm spelling that wrong, aren't I?) pulled out her knife, I didn't expect her to cut off her arm as a decoy. That was a good plan, though. I'm just surprised they could attach it to a dog without the dog completely freaking out. Or eating it.

May Chang and Scar
    I wonder how May Chang's going to react when she finds out that she kicked the Fullmetal Alchemist in the face? Probably not well, considering half the reason she came to Amestris was to meet him.
    Hooray, Scar's starting to think a little bit! I suppose he never imagined that the Rockbells, or the other alchemists that he'd killed for that matter, had families. Wait a minute: Of course he did! In his first appearance he saw Edward prepared to sacrifice himself to save his brother! And yet there was no flashback-induced sympathy then.

Oh, and Shao May is (sort of) confirmed to be a normal panda in this universe, apparently. Also, this is the second time Edward mentioned that Alfonse feeds/adopts stray cats. I wonder if there's fanart of Alfonse full of cats? That would be cute.

Gluttony and Wrath
    Scar tried to use his unmaking alchemy on Gluttony and it didn't seem to have any more effect than destroying his brain in any other way did. Maybe now that Scar knows that Gluttony's a homunculus he can try to deconstruct all of Gluttony, or just the philosopher's stone inside of him (if in fact there is a philosopher's stone and not just a portal), with better results. At worst it'll be a good way to whittle down the regeneration, maybe on par with fire.

At the end of the episode, we saw Gluttony with a portal inside of him, one that looked almost exactly like the one that Edward, Alfonse and Izumi went through. This confirms that the homunculi, the Father and the philosopher's stones have something to do with Truth, but we kind of already knew that. I'm guessing that it has something to do with how much Gluttony can eat, but I'll hold off on any further speculation for now because I don't really have anything to go on and it's clear we'll learn some more about it next episode.
    I knew from friends who've watched the show that there was going to be SOMETHING up with Gluttony, but this was NOT what I saw coming.

The Fuhrer didn't have the same aura that Gluttony did. Maybe it's because he doesn't have a philosopher's stone at all? We've never seen him regenerate yet. Or maybe it's because Gluttony is the only one with a portal inside him? That would certainly fit with the Sin. I'd guess that Ling and Latvan are sensing the portal, and not the philosopher's stone. We'll get more information if they ever come into contact with Envy.

Now that Mustang knows about the Fuhrer being a homunculus and the Fuhrer has stopped tolerating Mustang's ploys we can expect the conflict between them to escalate. It might get to the point of an outright military coup, unless King Bradley ends the threat with a series of well coordinated assassinations.

Edwin
    Man, Edwin is going to cause so much heartache for Edward and Winry. For starters, how would they even get together as a couple? I anticipate Winry maybe dropping hints (possibly tsundere style) and Edward completely missing all of them, with Winry eventually being blunt partly due to the fear of Edward dying before she can tell him. And even if they did manage to get together, it's not as if they would have much time to actually go on dates, what with Promised Day this and evil plots that and the whole country about to explode.
    I expect that the two biggest things that come of this is that Winry worries even more about Edward than she already does, and some UST.

Things to add to my List Of Stuff That Will Become Important Later:
    • The fuhrer's son Selim is adopted.
    • Winry's fallen for Edward.
    • Gluttony contains a portal much like the one related to Human Transmutation.
    Last edited by Randomguy; 2014-08-04 at 11:08 AM. Reason: Grammar

28. - Top - End - #328
    Ettin in the Playground

Oh, and Shao May is (sort of) confirmed to be a normal panda in this universe, apparently. Also, this is the second time Edward mentioned that Alfonse feeds/adopts stray cats. I wonder if there's fanart of Alfonse full of cats? That would be cute.
    Does it count if the mangaka drew it?

29. - Top - End - #329
    Titan in the Playground

Latvan (I'm spelling that wrong, aren't I?)
    Lan Fan. Characters.
    Last edited by TheSummoner; 2014-07-17 at 01:06 AM.

30. - Top - End - #330
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Forrestfire View Post
    Does it count if the mangaka drew it?

*snip*
    It doesnt look so much cute as kind of creepy actualy.

... All those eyes
    Last edited by smuchmuch; 2014-07-17 at 05:36 AM.
    I'm sig'ing in the rain, just sig'ing in the rain....

Somme old avatars, by me
    Spoiler
    Show

-