New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 12 of 50 FirstFirst ... 234567891011121314151617181920212237 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #331
    Ogre in the Playground

GreenSorcererElf

Default Re: AtlanteanTroll's Additional Tirade @ Atrocious Threads Random Banter #207

so, i redid it, and actually payed attention to what i was clicking, and actually spending a few seconds thinking about each word, instead of deciding whether i knew it or not with a glance apparently that jumped me up to 27,700. the median for my age is 21,395, i feel achieved although i wish i was in the three hundreds

here's the stats for native speakers, the blue line in the graph is the median
    and here's the stats for non-native speakers, it's much more in-depth
    elemental avatar by kaariane

extended signature

2. - Top - End - #332
    Firbolg in the Playground

Default Re: AtlanteanTroll's Additional Tirade @ Atrocious Threads Random Banter #207

Quote Originally Posted by chaotic stupid View Post
    so, i redid it, and actually payed attention to what i was clicking, and actually spending a few seconds thinking about each word, instead of deciding whether i knew it or not with a glance apparently that jumped me up to 27,700. the median for my age is 21,395, i feel achieved although i wish i was in the three hundreds

here's the stats for native speakers, the blue line in the graph is the median
    and here's the stats for non-native speakers, it's much more in-depth
    I'm almost in the 90th percentile the 30 year old age group...damn...

That's...unexpected.
    Last edited by Cristo Meyers; 2014-06-05 at 11:26 AM.

3. - Top - End - #333
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Quote Originally Posted by Cristo Meyers View Post

That's...unexpected.
    We are the 10%.

*is shot on site*
    Quote Originally Posted by Dragonprime View Post
    AT, I esteem you above all other men now.

4. - Top - End - #334
    Titan in the Playground

... I feel disappointed.
    Hate me if you want. But that's your issue to fix, not mine.

Primal ego vos, estis ex nihilo.

When Gods Go To War comes out March 8th

Discord: HalfTangible

Extended Sig

5. - Top - End - #335
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by AtlanteanTroll View Post
    We are the 10%.

*is shot on site*
    *bang bang*

Also, I like, got 31,000 something too. I apperently is half troll.
    Can only thank GitP for being so good for so long.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Solaris View Post
    If it helps, think of me as the Agent from Serenity. Just not that good a fighter. Also, I have a mustache.
    Quote Originally Posted by kpenguin View Post
    I'm probably hilarious far off, aren't I?
    Quote Originally Posted by Telonius View Post
    This is not... the greatest story Tolkien ever wrote. No... This is just a tribute.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dracon1us View Post
    don't feed the troll...

A pile of thanks piled on other thanks to Teddy for photorealistic avatar.

6. - Top - End - #336
    Ogre in the Playground

GreenSorcererElf

so, just for a laugh, i tested out an IQ test online (i've never trusted them, since i believe they don't really tell you anything)

i was apparently just 2 points off being "gifted" and sat at the high end of above average (i got my results, and then googled the average score)
    then i tried a second one on a different site, and it said i was a genius by just three points

so, according to a test i don't really have any faith in, i'm a genius
    the other one i'm much more inclined to believe, being above average is more than enough for me (i still don't trust it though)

That's...unexpected.
    i just checked, and i'm pretty close to the 90th percentile in the 17 year old age group, however i'm much closer to the 80th, which is where i'd say i fall
    Last edited by Somensjev; 2014-06-05 at 11:44 AM.
    elemental avatar by kaariane

extended signature

7. - Top - End - #337

We are the 10%.

*is shot on site*
    Ohhh, owowowowow.

I do have to wonder how much our results may be skewed simply by the fact that a lot of the words are ones that, while obscure, are ones we come across in our...well...geek stuff.

The fact that anyone that's played a Lasombra in Vampire: the Masquerade likely has a pretty good idea of what "tenebrous" means, for example.

8. - Top - End - #338
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Quote Originally Posted by Mutant Sheep View Post
    *bang bang*

Also, I like, got 31,000 something too. I apperently is half troll.
    I'f I'm nearly 3 years older than you are, you're better than the 90th percentile. You lil munchkin. *noogies*

Ohhh, owowowowow.

I do have to wonder how much our results may be skewed simply by the fact that a lot of the words are ones that, while obscure, are ones we come across in our...well...geek stuff.

The fact that anyone that's played a Lasombra in Vampire: the Masquerade likely has a pretty good idea of what "tenebrous" means, for example.
    Eh, who knows. It's hard to place where words come from--or it is for me, at least. I expect going through higher education helps. (Uh duh.)

9. - Top - End - #339
    Ogre in the Playground

Ok fine! I will go do the silly vocabulary quiz.
    Long live the Ceikatar!

Here Be Dragons

10. - Top - End - #340
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Quote Originally Posted by EmeraldRose View Post
    Peer pressure strikes again!

11. - Top - End - #341

Not my fault the video is blocked for me right now!

12. - Top - End - #342
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Yung Crunk View Post
    Ah, but a man's blather should exceed his breath, or what's an internet for?
    Well, if Avenue Q has taught me anything...

Where exactly did you find a stat to compare you to others in your age group?

Anyway, 31,500. Pretty good (just about the 90th percentile for my age group), I imagine it'll go up even further once I finish my schooling proper.

EDIT: Anyway, it works as explained here.
    I think a new thread should be all Yung Crunk and AtlanteanTroll, all the time.

I did not do well and lost some words in the middle right of the second page. The right of the page was hard and those were the words it was Ok to lose. And there was one of the first page. The first page with an s. It was a word and then it was not a word and then it changed back again and then it was not a word. Words do not do that.
    I have found a RL gaming group but I'm willing to meet other GitP people nearby.
    Please send a PM or an email! _______ Tea served in a student cafe in Seattle

13. - Top - End - #343
    Ogre in the Playground

*raspberries*

Ok, so I got 37,500. But it only gives you options for one master's degree. Also, really? SAT scores? That was 20 years ago! But yes, I remember roughly what I got.

20 years? Geez...

Also, does anyone else feel like many of those words cam straight out of a dungeon crawl?
    Long live the Ceikatar!

Here Be Dragons

14. - Top - End - #344
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Quote Originally Posted by Taet View Post
    I think a new thread should be all Yung Crunk and AtlanteanTroll, all the time.
    "And now, for you reading pleasure, Giant in the Playground forums presents: ... Well Hell. I can't think of an adequate name.

I did not do well and lost some words in the middle right of the second page. The right of the page was hard and those were the words it was Ok to lose. And there was one of the first page. The first page with an s. It was a word and then it was not a word and then it changed back again and then it was not a word. Words do not do that.
    Tell us, Taet, how well did you do? I'm sure it went spectacularly.

*raspberries*

Ok, so I got 37,500. But it only gives you options for one master's degree. Also, really? SAT scores? That was 20 years ago! But yes, I remember roughly what I got.

20 years? Geez...

Also, does anyone else feel like many of those words cam straight out of a dungeon crawl?
    *blueberries*

And wait, you have two masters? What are you doing taking online classes? Also screw the SAT, it changes too damn much. They're removing the writing section and changing how wrong answers are graded. (Instead of a wrong answer hurting your score and not trying not hurting, wrong answers no longer hurt you your score and not trying hurts.)

15. - Top - End - #345
    Bugbear in the Playground

"And now, for you reading pleasure, Giant in the Playground forums presents: ... Well Hell. I can't think of an adequate name.

Tell us, Taet, how well did you do? I'm sure it went spectacularly.

*blueberries*

And wait, you have two masters? What are you doing taking online classes? Also screw the SAT, it changes too damn much. They're removing the writing section and changing how wrong answers are graded. (Instead of a wrong answer hurting your score and not trying not hurting, wrong answers no longer hurt you your score and not trying hurts.)
    Forty something. I did not save the page. I was too worried about the word that keeps not being a word.

The second part of the score change is very interesting! That is more like life.
    I have found a RL gaming group but I'm willing to meet other GitP people nearby.
    Please send a PM or an email! _______ Tea served in a student cafe in Seattle

16. - Top - End - #346
    Ogre in the Playground

*blueberries*

I am in school now for my 2nd master's. I already have two bachelor's degrees. There's never really an appropriate choice in stuff for me, so I usually go with 20+ years or something...
    Long live the Ceikatar!

Here Be Dragons

17. - Top - End - #347
    Titan in the Playground

I got 28,700, between 80th and 90th percentiles for age 18. Yay! Trying again with more thought:

30,400. Which is odd because I don't think I got any errors this time that I missed last time. Maybe one or two. Same space in the percentiles though.
    Quote Originally Posted by jamieth View Post
    ...though Talla does her best to sound objective and impartial, it doesn't cover stuff like "ask a 9-year-old to tank for the party."
    My Homebrew

18. - Top - End - #348
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Forty something. I did not save the page. I was too worried about the word that keeps not being a word.

The second part of the score change is very interesting! That is more like life.
    Very nice. It does save the score though, were you to go back in to your history or hit backspage enough...

I am in school now for my 2nd master's. I already have two bachelor's degrees. There's never really an appropriate choice in stuff for me, so I usually go with 20+ years or something...
    Good lord. What's the plan when you're all done getting edumacated?

19. - Top - End - #349
    Ogre in the Playground

Good lord. What's the plan when you're all done getting edumacated?
    No idea, though I'm hoping I will be done for awhile yet. I don't currently have a plan to pursue my PhD, but the possibility is always out there, particularly if I plan to move into teaching or something...it isn't really necessary in my career. Even for teaching honestly. I would be able to teach college level with my master's once I reach the appropriate licensing level (after two years of supervision and then another test). It'd be more for research purposes. We will see. I will already be paying for school for ever and ever...so probably not any time soon.
    Long live the Ceikatar!

Here Be Dragons

20. - Top - End - #350
    Titan in the Playground

That's like me! 37,500. Top 0.3 percent or something - the graph only went up to 30 000. Bugger.

I have a friend who's an editor. He got 41 700...

We will see. I will already be paying for school for ever and ever...so probably not any time soon.
    Surely you have three healthy children whom you can sell into slavery?
    Last edited by Asta Kask; 2014-06-05 at 12:57 PM.

Oooh, and that's a bad miss.

“Don't exercise your freedom of speech until you have exercised your freedom of thought.”
    ― Tim Fargo

21. - Top - End - #351
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

No idea, though I'm hoping I will be done for awhile yet. I don't currently have a plan to pursue my PhD, but the possibility is always out there, particularly if I plan to move into teaching or something...it isn't really necessary in my career. Even for teaching honestly. I would be able to teach college level with my master's once I reach the appropriate licensing level (after two years of supervision and then another test). It'd be more for research purposes. We will see. I will already be paying for school for ever and ever...so probably not any time soon.
    Debt is love. Debt is life.

EDIT: Also, remember, your level of education and your SAT score doesn't change your word count. It's just for internal purposes.
    Last edited by AtlanteanTroll; 2014-06-05 at 12:59 PM.

22. - Top - End - #352
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Asta Kask View Post
    That's like me! 37,500. Top 0.3 percent or something - the graph only went up to 30 000. Bugger.

I have a friend who's an editor. He got 41 700...

Surely you have three healthy children whom you can sell into slavery?
    There were a few words I recognized and have read in books, but didn't put because I wasn't 100% I knew a definition.

Also, I think selling off children is frowned upon these days.
    Debt is love. Debt is life.

EDIT: Also, remember, your level of education and your SAT score doesn't change your word count. It's just for internal purposes.
    I know, it was mostly an expression of "Holy Cow! I can't believe I remembered my approximate SAT score after not having thought about it since 1993!" As well as a general annoyance at surveys with answers that don't accurately reflect particular situations...
    Long live the Ceikatar!

Here Be Dragons

23. - Top - End - #353
    Titan in the Playground

Also, I think selling off children is frowned upon these days.
    I have been assured by a very knowing American of my acquaintance in London, that a young healthy child well nursed is at a year old a most delicious, nourishing, and wholesome food, whether stewed, roasted, baked, or boiled; and I make no doubt that it will equally serve in a fricassee or a ragout.

“Don't exercise your freedom of speech until you have exercised your freedom of thought.”
    ― Tim Fargo

24. - Top - End - #354
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

I have been assured by a very knowing American of my acquaintance in London, that a young healthy child well nursed is at a year old a most delicious, nourishing, and wholesome food, whether stewed, roasted, baked, or boiled; and I make no doubt that it will equally serve in a fricassee or a ragout.
    Well that's obvious, but how much will they pay?

25. - Top - End - #355
    Troll in the Playground

I hope this video link works. It is seriously making me giggle every time I watch it!

Aaaadorkable.
    Hm. Not overly surprised you're the highest here.

I got 30,500, for what it is worth.
    Spoiler: Quote(s)
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Temotei View Post
    You're my favorite.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kneenibble View Post
    I'll kill them! I'll kill all of them!
    Quote Originally Posted by FinnLassie View Post
    We're crashing Wombat's wedding! WITH AN ARMY OF WOMBATS AND BUDGIES.

"So whosoever is a hedgehog let him see to it that his wife is a hedgehog also, and so forth."

26. - Top - End - #356
    Ogre in the Playground

@ Asta- Oh well...mine are way past a year old.
    Long live the Ceikatar!

Here Be Dragons

27. - Top - End - #357
    Troll in the Playground

I only got 25.500 on that vocabulary test. Quite disappointed with that.
    Quote Originally Posted by Archonic Energy
    Thanks KuReshtin, Chief Nerd-Hurder of the UKitP Clan.
    Quote Originally Posted by Teddy View Post
    KuReshtin too, because he's awesome and a Swede, and therefore double awesome.
    Stig-atar by Irbis.

28. - Top - End - #358
    Titan in the Playground

Well that's obvious, but how much will they pay?
    According to my sources, as much as five times the cost of raising a child to that age.

― Tim Fargo

29. - Top - End - #359
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

According to my sources, as much as five times the cost of raising a child to that age.
    That ... would actually be quite a hefty sum.

30. - Top - End - #360
    Titan in the Playground

That ... would actually be quite a hefty sum.
    It's choice meat, no doubt. But it's four meals of excellent meat. And remember, it's supposed to give the dispossessed women some source of income. I have no doubt that there will be people who will buy. After all, there's a restaurant in Japan where jaded businessmen can pay to first have sex with an animal, and then eat it. Pork the pork, as it were.

― Tim Fargo