New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 15 of 31 FirstFirst ... 5678910111213141516171819202122232425 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #421
    Ogre in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Default Re: Crusader Kings II Succession Game 2: Electric Boogaloo

Quote Originally Posted by Flickerdart View Post
    I wasn't aware that you could choose not to install a Steam game patch.
    You can use a previous version of a game: go to the properties for the game in question, "Betas" tab, and the "select the beta you would like to opt into" option will let you use an older version. There's also the brute-force alternative of copying the game files pre-patch and keeping those around, but I don't know all the details involved in making that work.
    ithilanor on Steam.

2. - Top - End - #422
    Barbarian in the Playground

How imminent is the patch? I assumed it was gonna be, what, December/January?

3. - Top - End - #423
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Cristo Meyers View Post
    Yeah, I was going to wait until Grif officialized it.

I'll get started tomorrow and bathe Germany in blood...erm...lead us to glory!

Yeah, something in the Steam settings somewhere I think lets you choose whether or not to install a patch.
    Sorry, my bad. Yeah, you're up. I was rather distracted by life.

4. - Top - End - #424
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Grif View Post
    Sorry, my bad. Yeah, you're up. I was rather distracted by life.
    Want someone to take over admin-ing the game for awhile?

--

*snort* Yeah...guys...start rollin'

#edit: update!

Spoiler: From the logs of Christoph the Scribe
    Show
    December the 5th, 1093

Spoiler
    Show

Thus begins the reign of King Martin, a weak, craven man already condemned for the slaying of another de Vasconia. A new council is selected and platitudes handed out to smooth ruffled feathers.

Spoiler
    Show

The realm is currently at war with the Duke of Bavaria, pressing a claim on the county of Klempten. The Duke is already under siege, the war should be over shortly.

February the 21st, 1094

Spoiler
    Show

The king’s daily workout has finally borne fruit, even though they had to specially make his equipment so he could move about in it. We can only hope the new King is able to overcome his frail nature and endure in the troubled waters of Germany.

June the 10th, 1094

Spoiler
    Show

Word has come from our kin in Hispania, more family squabbles. Let them solve their own problems.

July the 8th, 1094

Spoiler
    Show

The Duke of Bavaria has called the Queen of Burgundy into the war. It remains to be seen how many troops she will commit, but the news is not good.

July the 29th, 1094

Spoiler
    Show

The Pope has taken an interest in the internal laws of Germany. The King gritted his teeth and submitted. His hold on the throne is tenuous enough without the might of the Papacy being used against him.

…and he hopes to someday be able to request some money from the Most Holy See.

March the 11th, 1095

Spoiler
    Show

More news, Italy has erupted into revolt. It seems as though no matter where you go, war ravages the land in Europe.

October the 1st, 1095

Spoiler
    Show

Our brother, the Baron of Mainderheim, has died in battle against the Austrians. He died without an heir, and the barony has reverted back to the King. Though he lacks the ability to run the land as yet, a plan is being hatched that will make good use of this new title.

The war against Bavaria has also been going back and forth. Burgundy has committed troops, but not overwhelming. Battles have erupted all over the southern lands of the Kingdom.

October the 16th, 1095

Spoiler
    Show

Tizziano Karling has a claim to the Duchy of Swabia. By granting him the petty claim to the Barony of Mainderheim, the King can pressing the Karling’s claim to the Duchy and install him as both the new Duke of Swabia and our vassal.

October the 28th, 1095

Spoiler
    Show

Victory! The Duke of Bavaria has submitted to our might. Now eyes turn towards Lothrangia and the Duchy of Swabia.

December the 5th, 1095

Spoiler
    Show

In honor of the break in hostilities (and probably to get away from a court that is likely trying to murder him in his sleep), King Martin has announced he will follow in the steps of all de Vasconia monarchs and leave on a pilgrimage. He will be going to Santiago, both to see the holy sites and visit the lands of our great cousins.

February the 7th, 1096

Spoiler
    Show

The king has brought back many stories of his travels, many likely have been exaggerated.

Namely the time he claims to have helped some local peasantry in building a new bridge.

Spoiler
    Show

He claims it was to help the smallfolk, but the court only nodded and noted that he had to cross that bridge too.

Spoiler
    Show

Or the time he saved a man that had been robbed and left for dead. He never did mention exactly who beat the man nearly to death.

Spoiler
    Show

Or embracing his newfound ‘zealotry.' Though he did return with an unhealthy love of Spanish cheese...

May the 1st, 1096

Spoiler
    Show

In honor of his ascension to the throne (and to buy time to build troops for the invasion of Swabia), the King has announced a Grand Tournament.

(Then a glitch that I've been suffering from set in and it never actually ended)

June the 30th, 1096

Spoiler
    Show

The tournament has begun! Knights from all throughout the realm have arrived in Nassau to compete.

June the 20th, 1097

The time has come. The King has announced his war to press the little Karling’s claim on the Duchy of Swabia. The King has called on his allies:

Spoiler
    Show

But none of them prove willing to aid us. You kill one cousin…

July the 11th, 1097

Spoiler
    Show

On the eve of his great war, the King has heard tales of a great warrior that may be willing to train him. He, of course, leaves the army to find this man.
    Rumors that he only left to avoid the possibility of fighting have been greatly exaggerated.

February the 4th, 1099

Spoiler
    Show

Sometimes time really is on our side. The new Queen of Sweden is unmarried, and a young cousin of the king has just reached the age of majority. A request has already been sent to arrange the marriage of the two, putting the de Vasconia line in reach of the Swedish throne.

February the 9th, 1099

Spoiler
    Show

Success! Now we only must wait until children are born. Queens are so accident prone these days…

Spoiler
    Show

But there is still the small matter of her existing child…

Spoiler
    Show

Some gold and some words create quite the little ring. This world really is just too cruel for children.

March the 3rd, 1099

Spoiler
    Show

The heir to the throne has reached the age of majority. While not the smartest man in the realm, he shows some acumen for the ways of the warrior much like the old Gascon kings of the de Vasconias. His betrothal to the Countess of Pest is finalized.

March the 23rd, 1099

Spoiler
    Show

The time has come to strike. Soon the little Swedish prince will sleep forever.

April the 6th, 1099

Spoiler
    Show

Two missives from the Pope have arrived. One is offering King Martin absolution for his kinslaying, the other is announcing the formation of the great Crusades. The gold is dispatched before the papal emissary can even take of his shoes, but the message is clear. The gold is only a down payment, Martin’s true absolution lies in the Crusades.

April the 20th, 1099

Spoiler
    Show

At least he our wasn’t kin…

April the 24th, 1099

Spoiler
    Show

The Pope’s word has come. The land of Burgundy must be claimed in the name of Christendom. King Martin wastes no time in granting his support to the Pope and to Christ.

…the prestige in fighting in the name of God does not go unnoticed.

(author’s note: and the Queen of Burgundy is a real piece of work…damn!

Spoiler
    Show
    )

August the 20th, 1099
    Spoiler
    Show

King Martin has arrived in Burgundy. Truly our great king is suffused with the Holy Spirit!

…but then word arrives from the Swabian front that those troops are needed and he returns to searching for the wandering peasant warrior he heard tales of.

March the 29th, 1099

Spoiler
    Show

It seems the king let his new title of Crusader go to his head. Luckily all he lost was a foot.

(author's note: yes, I am an idiot...)

April the 22nd, 1099

Spoiler
    Show

Double good news! The Queen of Lothrangia has surrendered Swabia and the Prince has reached the age of majority. His betrothal to the Queen of Bohemia has been finalized and Swabia has been brought into the realm.

Now the king has been freed to concentrate on the Crusade. Hopefully the Holy Father will be generous when the devil-Queen of Burgundy is brought low by the soldiers of Christ

June the 26th, 1101

Spoiler
    Show

The King’s new allies, the Byzantines, wasted no time in asking for help against the heathen Seljuk. Unfortunately the realm’s troops are tied up in Burgundy, so all the King can send is moral support.

(author’s note: Princess Irmgard’s husband was deposed and killed, so I made the best alliance I could...unless I'm wrong about her being the one that was betrothed to the King of Italy...)

March the 13th, 1102

Spoiler
    Show

Despite being short a limb (and likely some sense) the King has actually found the fabled warrior (or what he claims is the fabled warrior…the man reeks of ale).

Spoiler
    Show

In the words of many a loyal vassal: may God save the King…

May the 10th, 1102

Spoiler
    Show

The King’s ‘training’ has begun. But what running through the corridors of the castle chasing flies with a pair of small sticks has to do with fighting no one knows…

June the 22nd, 1102

Spoiler
    Show

Tragedy! The King has died in a tragic fly-hunting accident! The strange drunk has been drawn and quartered, but sadly the damage has already been done. We can only pray that he found salvation in fighting God's wars...

Long live King Meinhard!

Spoiler
    Show

Spoiler: Author's Notes
    Show

Italy erupted into revolt, so any plans of getting a de Vasconia onto that throne have gone up in flames. The throne of Sweden, however, is as good as ours. There are already de Vasconia children standing to inherit, I was just waiting for them to get older.

We have vassals with claims on Duchies in Lothrangia, so pressing them might be a good idea and the Crusade is still going, but not for long. Jumping in for just long enough to get the Crusader trait is definitely recommended, but you’ll need to hurry cause the Devil Queen of Burgundy isn’t going to last much longer (and we’ve got no chance of getting the territory)

Savey, savey, saving the savey save...

State of the world:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler: The British Isles
    Show

Spoiler: Iberia and France
    Show

Spoiler: Central Europe and Russia
    Show

Spoiler: Scandinava
    Show

Spoiler: Byzantium and Italy
    Show

Spoiler: Africa
    Show

Spoiler: Nubia and Arabia
    Show

Spoiler: India
    Show

Last edited by Cristo Meyers; 2014-08-31 at 08:37 PM.

5. - Top - End - #425

Great timing with the crusades and absolution.

And Byzantium stands tall. That's always a good sign.
    Last edited by Hydranova; 2014-08-31 at 11:25 PM.

6. - Top - End - #426
    Ettin in the Playground

I'll pick up the turn if no one else does, but otherwise feel free to claim it. (Or roll for it, if it so happens we get more than one.)

EDIT: Second post updated with fine links to all the players that had participated so far. (And re-reading some of our previous shenanigans is hilarious.)
    Last edited by Grif; 2014-09-01 at 10:23 AM.

7. - Top - End - #427
    Colossus in the Playground

So what are all the countries with our dynasty installed, now?
    Quote Originally Posted by Inevitability View Post
    Greater
    \ˈgrā-tər \
    comparative adjective
    1. Describing basically the exact same monster but with twice the RHD.
    Quote Originally Posted by Artanis View Post
    I'm going to be honest, "the Welsh became a Great Power and conquered Germany" is almost exactly the opposite of the explanation I was expecting

8. - Top - End - #428

Unchanged from last time: Hispania, France, I think parts of England. We lost Italy to a revolt but gained Sweden (and possibly Denmark and Norway in the deal, she was Queen of like three kingdoms)

9. - Top - End - #429
    Bugbear in the Playground

I'll claim the save if no one else wants in.
    So Much for the Glory of Rome, a Crusader Kings 2 Let's Play

Like my musings and stories? Check out Whats the Story?, my podcast about storytelling!

10. - Top - End - #430
    Titan in the Playground

This is all very entertaining.
    Something that irritates me with players who "plow through" the game conquering everything in sight is the lack of roleplay. (Point: NOT talking about this game!). I like to take my time, be somewhat realistic (aka what is this particular ruler's goals, not "OMG GOTTA TURN THE WHOLE MAP BLUE").
    Blizzard Battletag: UnderDog#21677

Shepard: "Wrex! Do we have mawsign?"
    Wrex: "Shepard, we have mawsign the likes of which even Reapers have never seen!"

11. - Top - End - #431

Quote Originally Posted by OrcusMcP View Post
    I'll claim the save if no one else wants in.
    You and Grif would have to roll for it.

Quote Originally Posted by Avilan the Grey View Post
    This is all very entertaining.
    Something that irritates me with players who "plow through" the game conquering everything in sight is the lack of roleplay. (Point: NOT talking about this game!). I like to take my time, be somewhat realistic (aka what is this particular ruler's goals, not "OMG GOTTA TURN THE WHOLE MAP BLUE").
    Why not take a turn? This next king is probably going to be one of the most interesting: he's young, we have a lot of vassals with claims in a realm that we can actually take as opposed to just getting curbstomped, and there's still a Crusade going in Burgundy.

12. - Top - End - #432

Of course, he's also a prime target for the German Curse.

13. - Top - End - #433

Quote Originally Posted by Hydranova View Post
    Of course, he's also a prime target for the German Curse.
    Well, yeah, that too. But to quote Dwarf Fortress: That's what makes it Fun

Hey, we haven't all been murdered in our sleep. I died in a tragic chopstick accident.

14. - Top - End - #434

You and Grif would have to roll for it.
    Derp, missed Grif's post. Roll incoming!!!

But soft! What die through yonder window rolls?

(1d100)[23]

Like my musings and stories? Check out Whats the Story?, my podcast about storytelling!

15. - Top - End - #435

Well, yeah, that too. But to quote Dwarf Fortress: That's what makes it Fun

Hey, we haven't all been murdered in our sleep. I died in a tragic chopstick accident.
    I remain firmly convinced that you sent it enough cookies due to your endless Tournament that it didn't bother to get creative.

16. - Top - End - #436

Quote Originally Posted by Hydranova View Post
    I remain firmly convinced that you sent it enough cookies due to your endless Tournament that it didn't bother to get creative.
    Yeah, I really wish I knew what caused that glitch. It's been striking in my Aquitane game too. It doesn't always come, but it seems like around 1 in 3 Grand Tournaments never trigger the "End of Tournament" event.

17. - Top - End - #437
    Troll in the Playground

Germany, Ireland, France-Scotland, and Hispania are still ruled by the de Vasconia.

Bohemia and Sweden have heirs of our dynasty.

There's currently a revolt in Bulgaria to install a man on the throne who has heirs of our dynasty as well, but he's losing and will probably need foreign support to win the throne.
    Rider avatar by Elder Tsofu

18. - Top - End - #438

Bulgaria isn't worth defending. The Ruthenians will stomp it into the ground before long. I really think that the end-game for the German branch isn't going to be forming the HRE but rather forcing the Slavs to bend the knee to the Pope and (naturally) a de Vasconia heir.
    Last edited by Flickerdart; 2014-09-01 at 09:02 PM.

19. - Top - End - #439
    Ogre in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Bulgaria isn't worth defending. The Ruthenians will stomp it into the ground before long. I really think that the end-game for the German branch isn't going to be forming the HRE but rather forcing the Slavs to bend the knee to the Pope and (naturally) a de Vasconia heir.
    Why not both? Take a bunch of land off of Ruthenia so we get up to 220 realm holdings, then we can form the HRE by decision.
    ithilanor on Steam.

20. - Top - End - #440

I doubt we're going to be big enough to challenge them until we have well over 220 realm size.
    Quote Originally Posted by Inevitability View Post
    Greater
    \ˈgrā-tər \
    comparative adjective
    1. Describing basically the exact same monster but with twice the RHD.
    Quote Originally Posted by Artanis View Post
    I'm going to be honest, "the Welsh became a Great Power and conquered Germany" is almost exactly the opposite of the explanation I was expecting

21. - Top - End - #441
    Ettin in the Playground

Derp, missed Grif's post. Roll incoming!!!
    You can have the save. I'll prefer not to take it just yet.

22. - Top - End - #442
    Troll in the Playground

I doubt we're going to be big enough to challenge them until we have well over 220 realm size.
    Dude, we're allied to like 70% of Europe and everybody hates the Russians way more than they hate us.

You know, for the moment. Give us time, they've only begun to see how much there is in us to hate.
    Rider avatar by Elder Tsofu

23. - Top - End - #443
    Titan in the Playground

Why not take a turn? This next king is probably going to be one of the most interesting: he's young, we have a lot of vassals with claims in a realm that we can actually take as opposed to just getting curbstomped, and there's still a Crusade going in Burgundy.
    Hmm...

1. I am afraid I will ruin it for everyone.
    2. Can someone explain how the rolling works. I have kind of glossed over everything in this thread except the After Action Reports
    3. What is the time demands on this? I really can't play effectively more than 30 minutes on weekdays and all of sundays.
    4. I have all DLC's except Sunset Invasion installed. Will this screw up the save file?
    Last edited by Avilan the Grey; 2014-09-02 at 01:11 AM.

Wrex: "Shepard, we have mawsign the likes of which even Reapers have never seen!"

24. - Top - End - #444
    Ettin in the Playground

Hmm...

1. I am afraid I will ruin it for everyone.
    Nonsense. There's a reason I said in my OP that experience doesn't matter. Some of our best moments come from player blunders. (See: Cadgwan of our previous run.)

2. Can someone explain how the rolling works. I have kind of glossed over everything in this thread except the After Action Reports
    Basically go to the dice rolling thread I linked in the first post and roll a 1d100 there. Post your result here.

3. What is the time demands on this? I really can't play effectively more than 30 minutes on weekdays and all of sundays.
    So long you can finish it in a week or so, you should be fine. We're flexible obviously, but taking too long would bog the thread down.

4. I have all DLC's except Sunset Invasion installed. Will this screw up the save file?
    Best only enable the DLCs I mentioned in the OP to avoid any save incompatibilities.

25. - Top - End - #445
    Titan in the Playground

Nonsense. There's a reason I said in my OP that experience doesn't matter. Some of our best moments come from player blunders. (See: Cadgwan of our previous run.)

Basically go to the dice rolling thread I linked in the first post and roll a 1d100 there. Post your result here.

So long you can finish it in a week or so, you should be fine. We're flexible obviously, but taking too long would bog the thread down.

Best only enable the DLCs I mentioned in the OP to avoid any save incompatibilities.
    Might take a swing at it then. I'll decide when I'm home from work.

26. - Top - End - #446

Might take a swing at it then. I'll decide when I'm home from work.
    I'd say you should take a swing. The more the merrier! Or is it the more the murderier? I lose track with this game.

I'll download the save for now, but if you decide you want in, go ahead.

Also, Quick point of order: Is choosing a far more minor member of the family acceptable?

27. - Top - End - #447
    Ettin in the Playground

Also, Quick point of order: Is choosing a far more minor member of the family acceptable?
    Eh? Are we choosing yet another branch again?

28. - Top - End - #448

Eh? Are we choosing yet another branch again?
    No, I was going to continue with Germany, just curious.

29. - Top - End - #449
    Ettin in the Playground

No, I was going to continue with Germany, just curious.
    Ah, well. Until we agree on choosing a new member, we're going to continue with whatever family we started with.

30. - Top - End - #450
    Ogre in the Playground

I say keep the current one until we can form the HRE. It may take a few generations, but it should be fun. It's a goal to work towards and everyone will try to do it differently so we should get some entertaining stories.
    If God had wanted you to live he would not have created me!