New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 17 of 31 FirstFirst ... 789101112131415161718192021222324252627 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #481
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: Crusader Kings II Succession Game 2: Electric Boogaloo

Quote Originally Posted by Hydranova View Post
    I mean, Byzantium DID help us out. We can always give them Jerusalem if we get our hands on it right?
    Pfft, Byzantium gave us nothing except an awesome wife. That's definitely worth something, but they don't need much help.

I couldn't find a way to add this to this part of the narrative, since I wanted it to be very German focused, but will make note of it for the next part: Byzantium has been in a back and forth invasion of Armenia by the Seljuks, and about a year before my war ended the Caliph called a Jihad for Syria. Byzantium's gaze is firmly to the East.

I personally cannot be more pleased how there is MASSIVE_EMPIRE_1 in the West, MASSIVE_EMPIRE_2 in the East, and we have just formed POTENTIALLY_MASSIVE_EMPIRE_3 in the North.
    So Much for the Glory of Rome, a Crusader Kings 2 Let's Play

Like my musings and stories? Check out Whats the Story?, my podcast about storytelling!

2. - Top - End - #482
    Barbarian in the Playground

Something tells me we should try and form a Vasconian Tartaria.

3. - Top - End - #483
    Ogre in the Playground

Or Vasconian Abyssinia
    If God had wanted you to live he would not have created me!

4. - Top - End - #484
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by ObadiahtheSlim View Post
    Or Vasconian Abyssinia
    I believe you mean Vasconian Jewish State in Jerusalem.

Edit: Dag, we aren't using Sons of Abraham, so it won't work.
    Last edited by Rockphed; 2014-09-08 at 09:46 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Wardog View Post
    Rockphed said it well.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sam Starfall
    When your pants are full of crickets, you don't need mnemonics.
    Dragontar by Serpentine.

Now offering unsolicited advice.

5. - Top - End - #485
    Ogre in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Wow, amazing turn. Great narrative, too. I imagine there'll be more interesting events to come, since you've foreshadowed something happening due to marrying a Makedon...
    ithilanor on Steam.

6. - Top - End - #486
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Rockphed View Post

We are. How else did we get pilgrimages?

7. - Top - End - #487

We are indeed using Sons of Abraham, so it's not completely impossible. Hard, but not impossible. The real thing keeping us from doing this is that we aren't running Rajas of India which makes changing religion and culture SO MUCH EASIER. However, there aren't any naturally Jewish religion provinces in 867 except deep in Ethiopia and in Astrakhan, and I didn't check to see if they were still Jewish, so RoI wouldn't help much in that regard anyway.

Like my musings and stories? Check out Whats the Story?, my podcast about storytelling!

8. - Top - End - #488

Quote Originally Posted by OrcusMcP View Post
    We are indeed using Sons of Abraham, so it's not completely impossible. Hard, but not impossible. The real thing keeping us from doing this is that we aren't running Rajas of India which makes changing religion and culture SO MUCH EASIER. However, there aren't any naturally Jewish religion provinces in 867 except deep in Ethiopia and in Astrakhan, and I didn't check to see if they were still Jewish, so RoI wouldn't help much in that regard anyway.
    Wait, you are running Sons of Abraham, and you haven't tried putting a De Vasconia on the Papal Throne yet? Or are you waiting for the Byzantines mending the Schism so you can Holy war against them?
    Rockphed said it well.
    Dragontar by Serpentine.

9. - Top - End - #489

Wait, you are running Sons of Abraham, and you haven't tried putting a De Vasconia on the Papal Throne yet? Or are you waiting for the Byzantines mending the Schism so you can Holy war against them?
    Oh, I've been trying, but since I'm currently on Papal Investiture, it's tricky. Plus the Pope himself has stacked the College himself quite thoroughly.

Thought that being said, I have.....IDEAS.... for the narrative.

10. - Top - End - #490

Quote Originally Posted by OrcusMcP View Post
    Oh, I've been trying, but since I'm currently on Papal Investiture, it's tricky. Plus the Pope himself has stacked the College himself quite thoroughly.

Thought that being said, I have.....IDEAS.... for the narrative.
    Doesn't installing an anti-pope and taking down all comers still work? Oh, wait, Papal Investiture. Well, that is what holy wars where you give all the gained titles to family (especially churches) are for.
    Rockphed said it well.
    Dragontar by Serpentine.

11. - Top - End - #491

Quick FYI and apology, this week is shaping up to be busier than I expected, so I probably won't have an update for you all until at least the weekend.

12. - Top - End - #492

Well, the old murder curse may be gone, but the "early death" curse is alive and well. Start rolling, I'll try to get a write-up tonight with some possible new characters now that the HRE is a thing.

Edit: Out of curiosity and a slow period at work, I decided to take a look at the actual lengths of everyone's reign so far, and Meinhard didn't actually do too badly, especially as far as the Germans were concerned.

The average reign length of one of our Basque rulers was 22.6 years, with Sallera having the shortest reign at 4 years while Grif had the longest at 40 years.

Quick spoiler, Meinhard died at 38, making his reign a little under 20 years, the longest of any of our German rulers. The average was 10.4 years, with Aolbain having the shortest at 2.

To try to get a sense of how this might compare to actual real world monarch reigns, I looked up the reign lengths of England, starting from Edmund the first until Cromwell.

Longest: Henry III, 56 years
    Shortest: Probably Swein Forkbeard, for just over a month.
    Average: 18.1 years
    Last edited by OrcusMcP; 2014-09-12 at 01:37 PM. Reason: Math!

13. - Top - End - #493
    Ettin in the Playground

Oh dear. That was unexpected.

Quote Originally Posted by Grif View Post
    Here we go. New round!

(1d100)[95]

14. - Top - End - #494

Oh dear. That was unexpected.
    Unless A Challenger Appears! I think you're the only one left.

15. - Top - End - #495

I guess forming the HRE kept even the horrible death curse away. Emphasis on horrible, that is. I'd roll, but my weekend looks packed.

16. - Top - End - #496

The Great Forging
    Volume 2: The Real Force of History

Spoiler
    Show

Neither the empires of Hispania, nor the Eastern Romans were pleased by the ascension of the Germans. The Hispanic Vasconias were resentful of Meinhard's sudden coup, that he could claim to have forged an empire on the back of Vasconia dead, while the Greeks were offended at the mere mention of the name "Holy Roman Empire". The Karlings may be marginalized and Charlemagne himself long gone, but there were still two empires both claiming to be the true incarnation of Rome.

It did not help that the Greeks were suffering from their perennial trouble of border conflict with the Muslims. The Seljuk invasion of Armenia continued unabated, while the young Abbasid Caliph had called for a Jihad to reclaim Syria.

Of course, the Greeks were also continuing to re-integrate the Italians into the Empire, but Meinhard's proclamation caused a wrinkle in that as well.

Spoiler
    Show

Some prominent Italian dukes, along with more central European holdings and the long suffering Kingdom of Georgia declared they were independent of the Romans. Some did indeed seek true independence, but the more remote holdings surely sought a more comfortable vassalage under the new German Imperium.

Meinhard, for his part, did not interfere with the conflict, and for the first few months of his reign sought to consolidate his hold. He sent offers to various independent lords in northern and central Europe to invite them to join the Empire, and some, like the dukes of Holland and Austria declared that they would.

Some did not, and those would have to be brought into the fold by force.

Spoiler
    Show

By the early months of 1118, Meinhard had made clear what would make the Holy Roman Empire different from the other empires: It would be Holy. Papal sanction had allowed Meinhard his conquest, while his righteous character had kept all the lords in line. Holiness, devotion to the church and righteousness would be what gave the Germans their strength. Where other powerful men might use their position to enrich or indulge themselves, Meinhard walked a tight line.

Spoiler
    Show

The Consolidation Wars were time-consuming, but straightforward affairs. Where before Meinhard could only call upon a few thousand levies from his most loyal vassals, he now commanded tens of thousands of foot soldiers and hundreds of thundering knights. As the empire grew more powerful, so too did Meinhard's experience in command.

Spoiler
    Show

We spoke before of the nature of Great Man history, and where the definitions of "great" both work and fall down in the case of Meinhard. Certainly in the early years of the Imperium, he started displaying the more typical nature of a "Great Man": Righteousness, decisiveness, power, influence, vision. Now that the Holy Roman Empire was to truly be Holy, these were important qualities to find in an Emperor, and he did his best to pass these values on to his first son and future heir, Caspar.

Spoiler
    Show

While the laws of Germany meant there was no question of Caspar's inheritance, the new Imperial succession laws were a different story. All the dukes and princes would come together to elect the next Kaiser, ideally the one most suited to lead the empire from their number.

Caspar had accompanied his father on his most recent campaigns, and was soon approaching his majority. All who met him agreed his character to be much like his father, and was likely to be a very skilled leader of men. Thus, while the Empire was still being built, the Electors had no issue proclaiming Caspar heir apparent.

Spoiler
    Show

As we discussed, one of the fundamental flaws in Great Man history is that while it has enough truth to be compelling, it does not tell the whole story. Multiple forces shape history. It is not simply the winds of change, or the whims of Great Men, or the mood of the masses that shape history. One of the most fundamental truths of all of human history is that all men must die, and likely nothing has caused the death of great men and many men alike than disease.

Thus, the people of Northern Europe became quite concerned in August of 1120 CE when word spread that the Kaiser had become deathly ill.

Spoiler
    Show

Modern medicine tells us, through both historical records and examination of Meinhard's body through archaeology, that he likely was suffering form severe pneumonia, caught on campaign in the wet marshlands of the Rhineland.

He continued with his wars, bringing the rest of France and Lotharingia to heel, until early April 1121 CE when he took a massive turn for the worse. Caspar was only a few months away form his majority, when he received word that he was now Kaiser of the Holy Roman Empire. The great Forger was dead at a mere 38 years of age.

Spoiler
    Show

Only time would tell if he the new empire would grow to rival the greatest of history or wither as quickly as it had sprouted, but we must save that story for another volume.

Spoiler: Author Notes
    Show
    Man, that was a very anti-climactic way to die, but at least he wasn't murdered.

I will make another post with the save file as well as some of the other interesting Vasconia people to play if we wanted to switch realms again.

17. - Top - End - #497

I think that you should play at least one more round as the Kaiser. You do need to solidify the hre after all.
    Rockphed said it well.
    Dragontar by Serpentine.

18. - Top - End - #498
    Colossus in the Playground

Yeah, a newly formed empire with a child emperor and elective succession might not remain either de Vasconia or in existence for very long.

Also, given that the new empire insists on being Holy, it should convert the Russians to Christianity and plant a de Vasconia heir there.
    Quote Originally Posted by Inevitability View Post
    Greater
    \ˈgrā-tər \
    comparative adjective
    1. Describing basically the exact same monster but with twice the RHD.
    Quote Originally Posted by Artanis View Post
    I'm going to be honest, "the Welsh became a Great Power and conquered Germany" is almost exactly the opposite of the explanation I was expecting

19. - Top - End - #499

ALL GLORY TO SUCCESSION SAVE!

Here are some of the more interesting Vasconias around the world:

Kaiser Caspar
    Spoiler
    Show

Pros: Holy Roman Emperor. Aww yeah.
    Cons: HRE is still new, could implode spectacularly with a weak emperor.

King Toirrdelbach of Ireland
    Spoiler
    Show

Pros: Finish the push to create Brittania!
    Cons: Powerful vassals, weak demesne.

King Johann of Bohemia
    Spoiler
    Show

Pros: Push into Eastern Europe, make Wendish Empire!
    Cons: HRE and ERE right next door.

King Eneko of Scotland
    Spoiler
    Show

Pros: Vengance! Anger! Highlanders!
    Cons: Just lost lots of valuable land, Scottish vassals want the crown themselves.

Count Fortun of Tunis
    Spoiler
    Show

Pros: Safe, vassal of most powerful empire, off in the frontiers where things can happen.
    Cons: One county, powerful ducal neighbours in the empire.

Doux Gilen of Cyprus
    Spoiler
    Show

Pros: Very close to Jerusalem and Syria, protection of ERE, plus dwarf = awesome
    Cons: Subject to whims of emperor.
    Last edited by OrcusMcP; 2014-09-13 at 02:30 PM.

20. - Top - End - #500
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Flickerdart View Post
    Yeah, a newly formed empire with a child emperor and elective succession might not remain either de Vasconia or in existence for very long.

Also, given that the new empire insists on being Holy, it should convert the Russians to Christianity and plant a de Vasconia heir there.
    I just booted the save. And I can say with certainty that the Empire is going to remain de Vasconia for a very long time, as there's hardly any opposition to young Caspar, and he's 15 anyway, so he won't be in regency for long.

Welp. Time to convert heathens and crusade against the Rurakovichs.

(Also, dat Byzantine Empire. Just what. And Hispania is blobbing all over the North African coast.)

21. - Top - End - #501
    Ettin in the Playground

I swear, the curse is real. Only 12 years this time. The next person should have great fun. Child emperor (again), and a crusade!

Since I believe I was the last one to take the round, rolling is once again open to all. Post will be up soonish after a nap and some time to sort out screenshots.

EDIT: I used the console command to give myself the maimed trait that I lost in a saved crash. Hopefully that didn't affect anything.
    Last edited by Grif; 2014-09-15 at 12:33 PM.

22. - Top - End - #502

I swear, the curse is real. Only 12 years this time. The next person should have great fun. Child emperor (again), and a crusade!

Since I believe I was the last one to take the round, rolling is once again open to all. Post will be up soonish after a nap and some time to sort out screenshots.

EDIT: I used the console command to give myself the maimed trait that I lost in a saved crash. Hopefully that didn't affect anything.
    Man. I was REALLY hoping the curse would end. Should we move to somewhere a bit more blessed?

23. - Top - End - #503
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by ObadiahtheSlim View Post
    (1d100)[38]
    Oh man, we are totally the new Karlings.
    Wait did my 38 roll win by default?
    Last edited by ObadiahtheSlim; 2014-09-15 at 03:21 PM.
    If God had wanted you to live he would not have created me!

24. - Top - End - #504

I will not tolerate defaults in my CK2!

UP AND AT THEM!
    (1d100)[16]
    EDIT: Also, Grif, don't forget to add the chapters/saves to the front page!
    Last edited by OrcusMcP; 2014-09-15 at 03:42 PM.

25. - Top - End - #505

To be fair, 12 is better than 2.

26. - Top - End - #506
    Troll in the Playground

I dunno if this is too late or not.
    Quote Originally Posted by Guancyto View Post
    (1d100)[63]

Defaults are going to be horrendous for our credit rating.
    Last edited by Guancyto; 2014-09-15 at 10:20 PM.
    Rider avatar by Elder Tsofu

27. - Top - End - #507
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Guancyto View Post
    I dunno if this is too late or not.
    Not at all.

(Although if the empire wasn't close to collapse before, it certainly is now.)

28. - Top - End - #508
    Colossus in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Flickerdart View Post
    (1d100)[82]

Come on, big number!
    Nice. I like these odds.
    Last edited by Flickerdart; 2014-09-15 at 11:39 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Inevitability View Post
    Greater
    \ˈgrā-tər \
    comparative adjective
    1. Describing basically the exact same monster but with twice the RHD.
    Quote Originally Posted by Artanis View Post
    I'm going to be honest, "the Welsh became a Great Power and conquered Germany" is almost exactly the opposite of the explanation I was expecting

29. - Top - End - #509
    Ettin in the Playground

This being the diary of Caspar, First of His Name, Kaiser of the Most Holy Roman Empire

I'm Kaiser now. That's... unexpected. Poor father must have thought he had quite a few years left if the court was this unprepared. Nana (Saga) literally woke me from my sleep in the dead of the night to tell me I'm now Kaiser and expected at court tomorrow. She has also offered to guide me for the first few months, which I humbly accepted; you don't argue with your Nana who had outlived two kings and is now on her third!

Spoiler
    Show

So, first, I got to meet my council. They seem to be relatively competent people, and Nana counselled to let them be for now.

Spoiler
    Show

I was shocked when I got my first real look at our realm. It's an absolute mess. Our realm is large, but fragmented. This will never do. I remarked to Nana as much.

Spoiler
    Show

For the next few days, I set to work in putting affairs in order. My brother will be nominated as my temporary successor until I produce a heir of my own. In the interest of new blood, Nana introduced this sweet girl from the far-off realm of "Wales". She's comely enough and I soon to her way of thinking.

Spoiler
    Show

(OOC: I just like marrying people not our blood, of which there're relatively few choices remaining. No doubt due to us pushing de Vasconia onto every throne there is.)

At the same time, tales of a Byzantine civil war, a revolt against the rule of Basileius Micheal was in full force down in the Italian lands.

The next few months were quiet, as I settled down into the daily tedium of ruling an empire. In keeping of our Holy moniker, I sent our chaplain to start converting the heathens of Ruthenia. As far as I can tell, the natives seems uneasy, but at least they aren't lopping any heads off just yet. May the blessing of the Virgin Mary protect the good man.

Spoiler
    Show

And soon enough, I'm considered old enough to rule on my own right, to which Nana gracefully retired again (happily, if I may say so) to her summer home.

Spoiler
    Show

The war which my father had given his life for finally comes to its end. No doubt, this will be the first of many.

Spoiler
    Show

There are rumblings of discontent in the court. I have to keep a close eye on them.

Spoiler
    Show

My bride-to-be comes of age, and the wedding was quite splendid.

Spoiler
    Show

My brother soon come of age as well. To my surprise, he decided to take the hand of a Russian princess. No doubt he intends to worm his way into power there.

Spoiler
    Show

And he soon dares to demand a fief of his own. In the interest of preserving my image as a magnanimous kaiser, I gift to him lands near Paris, where my agents will be able to keep a close watch on him.

Spoiler
    Show

Whispers of the muslim hordes deserting en masse as their masters failed to break the Byzantines soon reached my ears.

Spoiler
    Show

Another war, to reclaim what was rightfully ours. And more troublingly, a revolt to restore French rule.

Spoiler
    Show

Both are swiftly won. More importantly, the Duke of Bavaria is now convinced that his future lay with the Empire. A wise choice, if I may so myself.

Spoiler
    Show

The heathen calling himself the King of Upper Burgundy dared to insult the holiness of the Empire. Very well, war it is. In the name of God, it shall be done.

Spoiler
    Show

(Part two to follow shortly.)
    Last edited by Grif; 2014-09-16 at 01:51 AM.

30. - Top - End - #510
    Ettin in the Playground

This being the diary of Caspar, First of His Name, Kaiser of the Most Holy Roman Empire

The war opens with a bang, with me personally cornering one of the heathen's general and cutting him down.
    Spoiler
    Show

Alas, there are times when I wish that I wasn't thrust with such a heavy burden of ruling.
    Spoiler
    Show

More bad news. King Vladislav decided that Christianity wasn't for him, and threw out the holy priest.
    Spoiler
    Show

But fortunately, the war is soon won and the heathen king Aimery soon surrendered. The empire grows ever larger.
    Spoiler
    Show

I receive word that a large army has gathered in Rome. To what purpose, I know not.
    Spoiler
    Show

In the meantime, our kin in Hispania soon asks for our help in some region which I cannot even pronounce the name. I send them my moral support. A little rebellion is far unlikely to threaten the already expansive Hispanic Empire.
    Spoiler
    Show

My domestic affairs are going quite well.
    Spoiler
    Show

And soon enough, God has saw fit to grace me with a heir of my own. Hugo, I shall name him.
    Spoiler
    Show

The Pope has finally unveiled the purpose of the gathering of men at the fair city of Rome. It was a crusade— a mighty effort of united Christiandom to push back the Moors and reclaim what is rightfully ours. I immediately pledged the might of the Holy Roman Empire. Nobody would expect any less.
    Spoiler
    Show

Curses, I was beset by heretics just as I rode to gather men.
    Spoiler
    Show

... Forgive me, my son.
    Spoiler
    Show

Save is here.

OOC:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Because the goddamned game has been giving me so much pain in even the simple act of saving, I had to recreate the death from my last autosave. If you notice discrepancies, then yeah, it's due to that. Fortunately, I think nothing much is affected, and I reloaded the save to be sure.

Anyway, the realities of the situation as it is now.
    - Hugo is 2 years old.
    - Most probably don't like him.
    - There's a crusade going on.
    - We have plenty of gold in the bank, so mercs are an option.

Whoever next, have fun.
    Last edited by Grif; 2014-09-16 at 10:10 AM.