New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 22 of 31 FirstFirst ... 1213141516171819202122232425262728293031 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #631
    Colossus in the Playground

Default Re: Crusader Kings II Succession Game 2: Electric Boogaloo

Quote Originally Posted by Sange View Post
    Eh, you should totally Holy War Afabia with these OP HOs.
    I can take on one Muslim country, but not all of them at the same time. I think this will change once the Khan of Khans gets busy, though.
    Quote Originally Posted by Inevitability View Post
    Greater
    \ˈgrā-tər \
    comparative adjective
    1. Describing basically the exact same monster but with twice the RHD.
    Quote Originally Posted by Artanis View Post
    I'm going to be honest, "the Welsh became a Great Power and conquered Germany" is almost exactly the opposite of the explanation I was expecting

2. - Top - End - #632
    Ettin in the Playground

Kobold

Enjoyed reading so far, I think I'll throw my hat in the ring for the next round.

Granted, that might lead to disaster due to my inexperience, but hey, worth a try.
    Steam ID: The Great Squark
    3ds Friend Code: 4571-1588-1000

Currently Playing: Warhammer 40000, Hades, Stellaris, Warframe

3. - Top - End - #633
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Squark View Post
    Enjoyed reading so far, I think I'll throw my hat in the ring for the next round.

Granted, that might lead to disaster due to my inexperience, but hey, worth a try.
    It's okay! Some of our best stories come when we fumble.

4. - Top - End - #634
    Dwarf in the Playground

Disaster? That's the fun part!
    Elementalist of the Redcloak Fan Club

Awesome avatar by Eldan.

5. - Top - End - #635

Quote Originally Posted by Sange View Post
    Disaster? That's the fun part!
    If you like disaster, you'll like this next part. Spoiler: War with Hispania.
    Greater
    \ˈgrā-tər \
    comparative adjective
    I'm going to be honest, "the Welsh became a Great Power and conquered Germany" is almost exactly the opposite of the explanation I was expecting

6. - Top - End - #636
    Bugbear in the Playground

If you aren't delaing with a massive uprising/invasion of family/angry lords/uppity peasants/religious fanatics then you aren't playing CK2.
    So Much for the Glory of Rome, a Crusader Kings 2 Let's Play

Like my musings and stories? Check out Whats the Story?, my podcast about storytelling!

7. - Top - End - #637
    Firbolg in the Playground

I thought it wasn't a CK2 game until you uttered the words: "Depressed? AWESOME! Now I can die whenever I want!"

8. - Top - End - #638

Quote Originally Posted by Cristo Meyers View Post
    I thought it wasn't a CK2 game until you uttered the words: "Depressed? AWESOME! Now I can die whenever I want!"
    Of all the awful, terrible things you can do with the mechanics in CK2, that one is the only one that actively bothers me. It makes perfect sense with the mechanics and the focus of the game, and it works super well for storytelling, but wow does that sentiment punch the gut of anyone with actual depression.

Like my musings and stories? Check out Whats the Story?, my podcast about storytelling!

9. - Top - End - #639
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Flickerdart View Post
    If you like disaster, you'll like this next part. Spoiler: War with Hispania.
    Dear lord. What did we do to piss off Hispania?

10. - Top - End - #640
    Dwarf in the Playground

What? I thought it was until you assassinated all your rebelling vassals' dynasties? And then the Karlings, because Karling?
    Elementalist of the Redcloak Fan Club

Awesome avatar by Eldan.

11. - Top - End - #641

Quote Originally Posted by Grif View Post
    Dear lord. What did we do to piss off Hispania?
    Exist and not be a Muslim, basically. I think there's something in the AI that prevents it from executing wave after wave of righteous holy war once it gets past a certain size. Hispania hasn't done anything but harass Vasconia lords for territory for decades if not centuries.
    Greater
    \ˈgrā-tər \
    comparative adjective

12. - Top - End - #642

Exist and not be a Muslim, basically. I think there's something in the AI that prevents it from executing wave after wave of righteous holy war once it gets past a certain size. Hispania hasn't done anything but harass Vasconia lords for territory for decades if not centuries.
    Something tells me that Hispania may need a Regime Change when we next switch realms.

Take one of the minor Vasconias inside the empire and let them build up until they can break free.

Though on second thought that sounds a little too much like my LP.

13. - Top - End - #643

Any word on how our Jerusalem is doing?

14. - Top - End - #644

Sultan Ghalib lived to be a billion years old but he's finally bit the dust. Update coming later today.

Did you know that the "request crusade" option doesn't actually work?
    Greater
    \ˈgrā-tər \
    comparative adjective

15. - Top - End - #645
    Ettin in the Playground

Sultan Ghalib lived to be a billion years old but he's finally bit the dust. Update coming later today.

Did you know that the "request crusade" option doesn't actually work?
    It doesn't? Huh. Does it require DLC or something?

16. - Top - End - #646

It doesn't? Huh. Does it require DLC or something?
    No idea. I requested a Crusade for Arabia and immediately got both the "crusade declared" and "crusade successful" popups without a country named. Maybe it's because the Pope isn't ruling in Rome?

Anyhow.

Sultan Ghalib the Blessed p3: Stop Giving Me 16 Year Old Kings

Spoiler
    Show

All good things swiftly come to an end, and where there is fortune, there must be misfortune. The Emperor of Hispania, a man driven to lunacy by the Great Pox, declares war upon Jerusalem. It seems that another Vasconia lord has decided that he, not the steward of the Holy Land, deserves to control the Knights Hospitaller. Strangely enough, while the beneficiary is of Ghalib’s blood, the new Emperor is not! Hispania’s builders, the de Vasconia dynasty, has been dethroned.

Interestingly, the Karlings still rule a realm – Sardinia is now independent and theirs.

The Holy Orders will not fight against brothers of the faith, and so Ghalib must defend his title with only his levy and mercenaries.

Spoiler
    Show

Without this claimant, there can be no war; is it not more merciful to take one life than thousands?

Spoiler
    Show

The castles of the Knights are far and wide throughout Christendom. While most are in Greece and Anatolia, there appears to be one in North Africa, which Hispania’s soldiers now besiege. The army there is not much larger than Ghalib’s, and some mercenaries might swing the balance his way, but could it be an insidious trap?

Spoiler
    Show

Ghalib takes the chance, and with a small company of mercenaries, lands on the African shores. The enemy attacks while his men are still in disarray from the landing, hoping to score an easy victory.

Spoiler
    Show

The tide of battle wavered back and forth, but in the end, it was a glorious rout of the Spanish. Ghalib pursues them further into the desert, aiming to finish off this army before reinforcements from Hispania’s massive levy arrive.

Spoiler
    Show

However, the treacherous Gontzal is one step ahead. He lands an enormous force – twice Ghalib’s own – on Jerusalem’s shore, soon followed by a third army. Ghalib’s last-ditch attempt to raise mercenaries fails, and his army is all but vanquished. There is only one hope now – a poisoned blade.

Spoiler
    Show

Success! If only the assassin had found his victim quicker, many lives could have been saved. Still, Hispania now withdraws its troops from Jerusalem’s mighty walls.

Spoiler
    Show

The peace is a breath of fresh air. In fact, Jerusalem seems to be the only nearby realm not embroiled in war – Persia, Arabia, and Egypt are all facing revolts, and the Mongol Khagan is seizing province after province in the East. If Ghalib can just replenish his levy, now would be the time to strike!

Spoiler
    Show

In the meantime, Ghalib marries his son to a Byzantine princess, securing the great Empire’s aid in future wars while trying to make sure that Jerusalem does not become just a prize for another imperial conqueror.

Spoiler
    Show

Seizing the opportunity, Ghalib immediately declares a holy war of liberation on the remainder of the land that is his by right. The Basileus is happy to assist, and sends a contingent of troops equal in size to Ghalib’s own levy. The Muslims declare for the Sultan of Arabia in word, but only Arabian flags are seen to fly above the small armies that attempt to disrupt Ghalib’s sieges.

Spoiler
    Show

The war inspires one of Ghalib’s children to join the Holy Orders that have been so instrumental in the fight against the Muslims. Unfortunately, it is his marriage that keeps Byzantium allied with Jerusalem, and regardless of how he feels, the Sultan must order his son to remain at court.

Spoiler
    Show

Soon after, the war is won – the Arabs had mustered no meaningful resistance for the duration of the campaign. Perhaps they are not the terrifying power that Ghalib had believed them to be? If one truly needs no imperial backing nor the Pope’s blessing to defeat them, perhaps it is truly possible for Jerusalem to beat them back.

Spoiler
    Show

But conquest must wait – Jerusalem’s fighting men are severely depleted – and Ghalib’s advanced age does not allow him to waste time. The soldiers would replenish on their own as young men grew up hearing tales of valor that had nearly led his own son astray. But the gold necessary to feed and clothe them would not appear by itself. If this was to be an era of peace, let it also be an era of trade! Ghalib declares that the newly conquered provinces should be not feudal, but a republic within the nation dedicated to matters of trade and profit.

Spoiler
    Show

Their little corner of the world had not yet been touched by the trade empires of the Italian republics. Perhaps they could make something of themselves in the safety of Jerusalem’s power.

Spoiler
    Show

With the new trade companies pouring gold into Ghalib’s coffers, it is not difficult to quickly raise another fighting force, this time to wrest control of the Sinai peninsula from Egypt. This would be Ghalib’s first expansion out of the borders of de jure Jerusalem, and a challenge to the Caliphs that surrounded his lands. Three allies – two of them minor, newly independent Vasconia nobles – swore to provide support.

Spoiler
    Show

Ten thousand men wait at the enemy capital, but Ghalib’s vassal holy orders cannot be stopped by such a meager showing.

Spoiler
    Show

Sadly, grave news comes while the battle rages. Back in far-away Jerusalem, disease has claimed the life of the Makedon princess that secured the alliance to Byzantium. Basileus Raphail had already pledged his support for the war, but now that the nations were no longer allied, how long would this support last?

Spoiler
    Show

Another emissary arrives, and before Ghalib can wave him away, shows the signet ring of Grand Vizier Friedrich. It seems the old plotter has been busy, and now a claim to half of Krete is his at last! It will not be inherited by a successor, and Ghalib is no longer the young man he used to be, but the war in Egypt has been going well and he decides to take the risk.

Spoiler
    Show

Victory is swift, and titles are parcelled out. Nuno – the genius Vasconia – is finally given a fief of his own, that he may have children as gifted as he is.

Spoiler
    Show

In the meantime, Hispania is having a spot of trouble. Piarres de Vasconia has taken up arms against the usurper Gontzal de Cantabria, seeking to lower the control of the crown over its vassals. Ghalib would aid his cousin were he more ambitious in his revolt, but nothing short of restoring Hispania to the Vasconia family would be worth risking Jerusalem’s armies.

Spoiler
    Show

The tales of the wealth and power of Jerusalem’s merchants spread far and wide with alarming speed. The Arabs had occasion to plunder there during the last war, and while Ghalib is busy pressing his claim on Krete, they take advantage of his absent army and declare war to claim the rest of Galilee’s riches along with the entire region.

Spoiler
    Show

Fortunately, the soldiers of Christ flock to defend the holy land, even if Ghalib is seen as a less pious man for requesting their help. Their valiant defense buys the time that Ghalib needs to secure his claim in Krete and return to face the enemy on his home soil. In his zeal, he takes a position on the front lines – a boost of morale for the men, but also unfortunately a great way to earn a wound.

Spoiler
    Show

For some reason, the county of Acre passes outside of Jerusalem’s control and to the Coptic kingdom of Nubia. Once the war is over, Ghalib will have to get it back and make sure nobody’s heads have been filled with that heretical nonsense…

Spoiler
    Show

There are also good news and bad news. The bad news - his holiness the Pope has succumbed to old age. The good news – the new Pope is a Vasconia, securing the dynasty’s control over the Catholic world. The bad – he is a truly wicked man, known to indulge in many an ungodly pleasure. The good - he and Ghalib easily find a common tongue, and Ghalib's "piousness" is sufficient to dispatch chests of gold coin towards Jerusalem. Deus Vult!

Spoiler
    Show

This entire war, not to mention the scandals with Acre and the pope, have caused Ghalib a lot of stress. With his wound and his advanced age, this is not a good thing…

Spoiler
    Show

Ultimately, Jerusalem stood strong, as did its Sultan. Ghalib survived to see Galilee free from Muslim threat.

Spoiler
    Show

The steppe peoples whisper of another Mongol horde… given that the last one managed to bite off half of Persia, Ghalib is cautious but not terribly afraid, as the thunder of hooves has yet to ring out below the windows of his palace.

Spoiler
    Show

And then..syphilis?

Spoiler
    Show

When his wounds, his stress, and his syphilis could not stop Ghalib, a sudden onset of illness made sure the job was finished. His youngest son, the maimed Ya'qub, takes to the throne.

Spoiler
    Show

Spoiler: Summary
    Show

Captured Galilee, Krete, and Sinai, created a trade republic in Galilee (the patrician is our strongest vassal and also hates us, joy). Lost Acre to Nubia through inheritance. Everyone wants us dead now.

Save
    Last edited by Flickerdart; 2015-01-10 at 10:49 PM.
    Greater
    \ˈgrā-tər \
    comparative adjective

17. - Top - End - #647
    Ogre in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

The de Vasconias no longer rule in Hispania? NOOOOO!
    ithilanor on Steam.

18. - Top - End - #648
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by IthilanorStPete View Post
    The de Vasconias no longer rule in Hispania? NOOOOO!

All our hard work. Now down the drain with the de Cambria onboard. I demand we put a de Vasconia back on the throne. Ourselves if need be.

New round!

(1d100)[37]
    Not bad. Fully expect this to be surpassed though.
    Last edited by Grif; 2015-01-11 at 12:52 AM.

19. - Top - End - #649

All our hard work. Now down the drain with the de Cambria onboard. I demand we put a de Vasconia back on the throne. Ourselves if need be.
    I'll get my stabbin' knife...

*lights dice on fire*

If all else fails...

[roll]15[/roll]
    ...perhaps not.
    Last edited by Cristo Meyers; 2015-01-11 at 12:48 AM.

20. - Top - End - #650
    Ettin in the Playground

Kobold

Electronic Dice don't fail me now.

[roll]86[/roll]
    However, I have to ask- How did you make those counties republics? I would think you need the DLC for that. Or do you just need it to rule one?

21. - Top - End - #651

CRUSADE!!!
    (1d100)[81]
    So close!

And if you give control of a county to a mayor and then give them a duchy, you create a republic. You only need the DLC to play them.

22. - Top - End - #652
    Titan in the Playground

New round, you say?

Quote Originally Posted by Sallera View Post
    Restoration!
    (1d100)[99]
    Wriggle avatar by memnarch.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Current characters:
    Faien
    Aya
    Sei

23. - Top - End - #653
    Ettin in the Playground

New round, you say?
    I think we have a winner. (Unless one of you insanely lucky fellows manage to roll a 100.)

EDIT: Ruler list finally updated. I just realised Sange never did post his update, so unfortunately the end of Kaiser Hugo's life will be undocumented. (Some believe he never truly died.)
    Last edited by Grif; 2015-01-11 at 12:04 PM.

24. - Top - End - #654

However, I have to ask- How did you make those counties republics? I would think you need the DLC for that. Or do you just need it to rule one?
    You don't need the DLC to have a vassal republic. Simply grant a coastal county to a Mayor and then give him control of the duchy that county is in. Bam, republic. It's doing quite well, actually.
    Greater
    \ˈgrā-tər \
    comparative adjective

25. - Top - End - #655

You don't need the DLC to have a vassal republic. Simply grant a coastal county to a Mayor and then give him control of the duchy that county is in. Bam, republic. It's doing quite well, actually.
    But was the founder a De Vasconia?
    Quote Originally Posted by Wardog View Post
    Rockphed said it well.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sam Starfall
    When your pants are full of crickets, you don't need mnemonics.
    Dragontar by Serpentine.

Now offering unsolicited advice.

26. - Top - End - #656

Quote Originally Posted by Rockphed View Post
    But was the founder a De Vasconia?
    Of course not. The dynasty of emperors, stopping to the level of common traders?
    Greater
    \ˈgrā-tər \
    comparative adjective

27. - Top - End - #657
    Ettin in the Playground

Okay, Sallera already gone once in this dynasty/run, so technically he wasn't eligible. Would you still like to play? Else, I'd rather we give Squark a chance.

28. - Top - End - #658
    Titan in the Playground

Oh, absolutely, Squark can go ahead. I only rolled 'cause you called new round.
    Last edited by Sallera; 2015-01-12 at 02:52 AM.
    Wriggle avatar by memnarch.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Current characters:
    Faien
    Aya
    Sei

29. - Top - End - #659
    Ettin in the Playground

Oh, absolutely, Squark can go ahead. I only rolled 'cause you called new round.
    Cool. (I was more meaning a new round of rolling, so I'll be more careful with my wording next time XD)

Squark, you're up. Defend the ancestral rights of the de Vasconia!

30. - Top - End - #660
    Ettin in the Playground

Kobold

Alright, I'll get started as soon as I can get the save. Is the link supposed to show a giant wall of code (which is presumably in the save file), or is the link bad? Or is my browser to blame?

EDIT: Or, do I need to open an account on Dropbox to access the link? EDIT: That doesn't seem to have worked.
    Last edited by Squark; 2015-01-12 at 10:09 AM.