New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #91
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Team 1

'Ami' gave a somewhat sheepish grin when he was questioned by Masaru and instead dipped into a short bow, an apologetic look on his face. "My apologies for the deception Masaru-kohai, but it was neccasary to gather the information I required about your character. Congratulations on the success of your mission, the both of you. It went off completely without a hitch and the three of you displayed an adequate amount of teamwork, that I didn't truly expect."

The kid paused and stepped out away from Michiko and his features turned...stony. Black hair slowly shifted to a deep and vibrant crimson while his eyes turned to a sort of royal blue. "Unfortunately, your news also saddens me. I cannot complain that your mission has gone off without a hitch. But you two have both failed the test of character that I mentioned before. However you still did as I asked, so all of you pass this exam. Congratulations and welcome to Team 1. I am your Jounin instructor Keimatsu." With those final words, Keimatsu deeped into a deep and formal bow before straightening up. "Any questions?"
    Warriors & Wuxia: A community world-building project focused on low-magic wuxia/kung-fu action using ToB.

"These 'no-nonsense' solutions of yours just don't hold water in a complex world of jet-powered apes and time travel."

2. - Top - End - #92
    Dwarf in the Playground

Default Re: Naruto d20 (Team A)

Rio

Rio closed his eyes for a moment, taking a breath, keeping his face relaxed and normal, though inside he raged slightly. He hated failure.

"I have a question Sensei. What was this test of character you mention, how did we fail, and how can we...undo that?" Rio struggled to keep the level of eagerness for redemption out of his voice.

"If we can know what you were looking for, perhaps we can show you the true traits of our character, right?"
    Last edited by Bariko; 2007-04-21 at 09:34 PM.

Avatar generously made by Zolkabro.

"When I give food to the poor, people call me a saint. When I ask why the poor have no food, they call me a communist." Dom Helder Camara

I need some more security than that provided by choosing between
    A job you hate, a job you hate and a job that doesn’t pay. - Bomb The Music Industry!

3. - Top - End - #93
    Troll in the Playground

Masaru

"I don't make excuses. What I did I felt I had to do and would not do differently had I the opportunity to do so again." Masaru deadpanned, crossing his arms. "Though if you would like to share what caused your displeasure I shall factor that into my reasoning for next time."

Masaru tucked the kunai he had recovered from the fallen thugs back into his sleeves, but kept those mirrored lenses locked on Keimatsu. It would have been unnerving for most, but he knew that a jounin could handle it.
    Paladin, Green Lantern, and Cyrine by DarthRaynn!

“I've never believed in the End of Times. We are Mankind. Our footprints are on the moon. When the last trumpet sounds and the Beast rises from the pit -- we will kill it.”
    ― Travis Beacham, Pacific Rim: Tales From Year Zero

Spoiler
    Show

Kismet and Deadshot by kpenguin.

4. - Top - End - #94
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Team A

"Unfortunately it is not something that you can undo. Its not something that anyone here can undo, nor should they. I mean, think of the reprecussions of the undoing. It'd be horrible, trust me. As for the test of character...it was simple enough and the two of you should be more then able enough to figure it out. Perhaps Michiko-kohai could aid you, though I don't quite know for sure if she realizes why she passed and you didn't." Keimatsu said thoughtfully, turning his gaze back and forth between the two genin. There was an oddly blank look in his eyes, no sign of anger or condemnation, but a void there like that of a corpse. But the jounin didn't elaborate on what he had said and didn't seem unnerved by Masaru's stare.

"Now tell me...was there anything unusual about this test? Something that struck you as odd or strange. Something seem off? ...And you may remove the tags now...no need to keep those on." Came the intent question as the jounin stepped closer once more, a spark coming into his eyes as he crossed his arms in front of his chest.
    Warriors & Wuxia: A community world-building project focused on low-magic wuxia/kung-fu action using ToB.

"These 'no-nonsense' solutions of yours just don't hold water in a complex world of jet-powered apes and time travel."

5. - Top - End - #95
    Troll in the Playground

Masaru

Masaru turned around, taking a few steps away from the others so that he could remove the tag from his forehead away from prying eyes. While readjusting the mask to his eyes and smoothing it back over his face he pondered Keimatsu's question.

The test had several odd moments. First of all, he felt he should have been able to put things together about Ami the first time they met him. No one of little skill could have completely veiled himself from the three genin so easily, revealing himself only when he chose to do so. Masaru did not enjoy being fooled.

Secondly, the fact that lowly thugs could have gotten past the sentries in order to do any kind of harm to a child was almost inconcievable. He had a sneaking suspicion that Keimatsu himself had hired the thugs for the sole purpose of the test. Their possession of a chakra tracking device seemed to confirm this. Also, that Kazuma, the unagi restaurant owner, knew "Ami" would lead one to suspect that he was also in on the test.

Pausing his thoughts for a moment, he relayed his conclusions to Keimatsu. ((OOC: He tells Keimatsu everything he just pondered, so I don't have to repeat all of it.))

“I've never believed in the End of Times. We are Mankind. Our footprints are on the moon. When the last trumpet sounds and the Beast rises from the pit -- we will kill it.”

Spoiler
    Show

6. - Top - End - #96
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Team A

Keimatsu listened patiently as the Genin explained his thoughts about the whole matter and looked thoughtful for a moment before he spoke up. "You needn't feel so bad about being deceived Masaru...Afterall...this is me. All I did was have a different set of clothes on. Not many would have picked up on it."

The jounin paused then for a long moment before he spoke up once more and he had that deep thoughtful look on his face once more. "And your correct, mostly, about the second part as well. I did hire thugs for the purpose of this test, but I didn't give out any...chakra tracking device...I didn't even know that something like that existed. They were just supposed to follow some marks I left around...Oh...and I really do have a younger brother named Ami. Thats how Kazuma knew about it...had you questioned him on the matter, you owuld have discovered Ami is about four inches taller then I am, have black hair, and have a nigh permanate five o' clock shadow." Keimatsu gave an apologetic shrug at that however and gave a short dip of a bow. "I hope that clears things up for you Masaru, do you perhaps have the device?" He queries the soldier in training. Glancing around at the three of them and a slight frown growing on his features when he realized none of them had thought to grab it. "None of you? Not even you Michiko-kohai? Hm hm hm."

"Perhaps later then. In any case...I don't think that any of you really know each other, do you?"

7. - Top - End - #97
    Troll in the Playground

Masaru

"The first man I killed was the one using it. He should still have it on him." Masaru said, glancing back out of the alleyway towards the street where the first two had fallen. "If you would like to examine the device you may do so at your convenience, sensei."

Masaru looked at the other two, remembering the few times he had seen them walk by underneath the window of his room at the Mibu estate. He'd spent his days swathed in bandages, unable to leave the room, forced to watch the world go by outside. He never knew any of the other children in the village, really, much less his new teammates. He nodded slightly in affirmation to Keimatsu but otherwise remained silent, that emotionless black mask giving away nothing.

Spoiler
    Show

8. - Top - End - #98
    Bugbear in the Playground

((OOC: I want my blue text back, damn it.))

Michiko

Michiko shrugged, "Chakra tracker? Dunno. I was too busy saving helpless children to pick up anything like that," she finished, rolling her eyes.

Turning to Masaru and Rio, she cocked her head questioningly, grinning, "Didn't you two mooks do anything useful?"

"Anyway, Tall, Dark and Gloomy here doesn't look all that familiar," she remarked, peering at his mask, "and this other kid, I dunno. Weren't you some kinda academy genius or somethin'?" She arched an appraising eyebrow before again shrugging to Keimatsu. "Why'd you stick us together, anyway?"
    Yotsubatar by Dr. Bath

9. - Top - End - #99
    Dwarf in the Playground

Rio

Rio grinned slightly, "This test was, unfortunately for me, largely based on the area where I suffer the most, taijutsu. My skills lie in other areas, tactics, et cetera. And while I do not know these two very well, less so Masaru than Michiko, there are some basic facts. And knowledge is one of my stronger areas.

"Masaru's family was all but wiped out in the attacks years ago. Little was heard of him in the academy, though from what I saw today, my initial assumption is that he is a taijutsu focused shinobi. Unfortunately, I do not know much about him at the time."
    Rio stretched out his arms for a moment.

"Then we have the 'blond spitfire' as one of the thugs put it. Michiko is more focused on ninjutsu and speed. I believe her area of interest is Suiton techniques, correct?" he asked Michiko. "Mizudama no Jutsu is your preferred technique, isn't it?"

Rio grinned back at Michiko. "Hey, this mook, as you put it, may have been mostly ineffectual in the fight, to my chagrin, but I do know some things. But, as for myself... Well, I'm no genius, at least I don't think so. I'm adept at creating chakra tags, but I believe my true strength lies in tactics and planning. Though you wouldn't know it by my poor showing today," he muttered slightly. He laughed a little bit and grinned again.

"I'm also hard on myself, can't you tell?" He grinned. "Also, largely because of my relative disadvantage in tests of strength, I rely on planning and teamwork to accomplish goals.

"Any other questions I might answer?"
    he asked, politely. "And why did you group us together sensei?"
    Last edited by Bariko; 2007-04-24 at 07:18 PM.

"When I give food to the poor, people call me a saint. When I ask why the poor have no food, they call me a communist." Dom Helder Camara

A job you hate, a job you hate and a job that doesn’t pay. - Bomb The Music Industry!

10. - Top - End - #100
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Team A

"Why I grouped you three together? Isn't it obvious?" He said quizically before moving slowly to step in front of Masaru. "Masaru...you've known the pain of having family ripped away from you. Of having skin peeled from your body by chakra-fueled flames. Would you wish that one anyone else? Would you do anything you could to keep others from feeling similiar pain?"

Keimatsu's smile slowly grew wider as be approached Rio and arched one eyebrow. "Humility isn't exactly something one sees often among shinobi this day and it takes a big man to admit he failed a task. Of course your strategic planning intellect were also large factors, though I admit that my knowledge of seals is limited and I'm quite curious about them. You may surprise us all yet with what you'll be able to do."

And then finally he twisted back around to face Michiko and his teal eyes glittered for a moment. "Michiko-kohai...think about were you come from before coming to Kagekure. About your parentage and what it did. People are inherently selfish with their own lives so when one is able...no willing to give up their lives for others is a treasured trait. Perhaps if you make it far enough, you'll be able to instill such traits in the next generation of Kage nin. That and I owed him a favor. Does that answer that question? Good!" The kid declared with a large smile before turning in a slow circle with a smile growing on his face. Gesturing for the three of them to follow, he lead the way out of the back alley and unto the main street were the first body still lay. Apparently the police still hadn't arrived yet and the jounin took the time to approach the first one. Squatting down, he began to rifle through the dead man's pockets before pulling out the black box that Masaru had seen.

"Is this it?"

11. - Top - End - #101
    Troll in the Playground

Default Re: Team A

Quote Originally Posted by Callos_DeTerran View Post
    "Why I grouped you three together? Isn't it obvious?" He said quizically before moving slowly to step in front of Masaru. "Masaru...you've known the pain of having family ripped away from you. Of having skin peeled from your body by chakra-fueled flames. Would you wish that one anyone else? Would you do anything you could to keep others from feeling similiar pain?"

The black-masked shinobi did not speak, nor seem to react much to his new sensei's words. He simply looked down at Keimatsu, his arms hanging loose at his sides, and listened. The only hint that he had listened at all was, however, an obvious one. Several loud pops sounded from his knuckles as his fists clenched and tightened, the material of his gloves creaking with stress.

Quote Originally Posted by Callos_DeTerran View Post
    Gesturing for the three of them to follow, he lead the way out of the back alley and unto the main street were the first body still lay. Apparently the police still hadn't arrived yet and the jounin took the time to approach the first one. Squatting down, he began to rifle through the dead man's pockets before pulling out the black box that Masaru had seen.

"Is this it?"
    Masaru followed, silent as usual, but stepped up when addressed in order to quickly examine and reaffirm that he had seen the device before. He squatted down next to Keimatsu, his elbows resting on his knees, to get a closer look. After a moment to ponder, he nodded an affirmative.

Spoiler
    Show

12. - Top - End - #102

Michiko

When Keimatsu addressed her, Michiko cocked her head, her brow furrowing in consternation, not entirely comprehending.

I remember living near a waterfall village when I was real little, but what has that got to do with anything? And what about my parents? Dad died in the war, but mom didn't say much other than that...

She shrugged, following Keimatsu to the thug's bodies, peering at them with a casual indifference. "Is he dead or what? And what is that thing?"
    Yotsubatar by Dr. Bath

13. - Top - End - #103
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Naruto d20

Idle fingers flipped the black box over in the jounin's hands as he peered at it. Brining it up closer to his face, he pressed one of the few buttons that it had and watched for any kind of reaction...none. With a groan Keimatsu stood up straight and slipped it into his pocket before shrugging to Michiko. "To be perfectly honest, I have no idea what the thing is. I'm not as informed about technology or science as I probably should be. As for the second question, yes. He most assuredly is dead."

Dusting his pants off, the kid spent a minute or two staring at the corpse before turning towards his soldiers with small smile. "Alright then, who wants rice balls?"

--------------------

After many humble apologies to Kazuma and a hefty lose of money in the jounin's wallet, Keimatsu lead Michiko, Rio, and Masaru back to his flat for some real lunch. That is if it was safe to eat anything in the jounin's home. Saying that it was a mess would have been an insults to messes around the world and it looked like a curio-shop had turned Keimatsu's home into a dumping ground. A couple deft hand movements had cleared a space on the only table big enough to be considered a dinner table, and the jounin had disappeared into his kitchen to prepare the offered food.

Not long after a plate of rice balls was placed in front of his students as the jounin took up a perch on the back of a fancy looking chair close to the window.

"You know, I've been thinking about something. I have a fairly good grasp on were your abilities lie at the moment and on how you'll react to situations but there's no harm in asking...What sort of assignments do you think would work best with this squad? Rio's a thinker, Masaru is very much a combative person, and Michiko-kohai...is Michiko-kohai."

((OOC: This is a chance for some idle RPing but also something else important. If theres any particular kind of mission that you'd like to see, then have your character suggest it.))

14. - Top - End - #104

Michiko

Eager at the prospect of free food (and to escape Kazuma and her tab), Michiko eagerly followed Keimatsu and the others to his apartment, a bounce in her step. Glancing around at the mess, she grinned. "Aren't you jounin s'posed to be organized and orderly? Your house looks like my room on a good day."

With a plop she settled herself in one of the chairs around Keimatsu's dinner table, slouching and letting her arms dangle down the back of the chair as she anticipated the arrival of food. Snatching up one of the rice balls, she murmured thanks around her first bite, chewing a bit before responding to Keimatsu's query.

"Well, I don't wanna be stuck pulling weeds or chasing after runaway cats, if that's what you mean. The best most of us Genin get to look for is a courier mission here and there, so I don't see how we're supposed to be prepared for the Chuunin exams if all we do is errands."

She shrugged, taking another bite of rice ball. "It's not like we're looking for trouble, but I figure we could handle some bodyguard duty or maybe some sort of tracking mission, chasing down fugitives or somethin'."

Gesturing with the hand holding her rice ball, she pointed to Rio first, "This kid's supposed to be a tactical genius or whatever, so I'm sure he could figure out some sort of fancy coordinated plan to take care of anything difficult, and Gloomy over here," she nodded to Masaru, "if he's as tough as he acts then I'm sure we'd stand a fair chance if a fight comes our way."

Yotsubatar by Dr. Bath

15. - Top - End - #105
    Troll in the Playground

Masaru

The masked genin wasn't eating due to the embarassing difficulty of having to remove his mask in order to do so, as well as the fact that due to the influence of his doctors back at the Mibu compound he had been on a...special...diet that was more liquid than solid anyway. Even if he had tried, it was a chore trying to eat with all the scarring to his face and mouth. Things tended to dribble down...and he didn't want anyone to see. So, as such, he sat straight-backed in one of the chairs, his sword laying across his thighs.

When Michiko spoke up he nodded in silent agreeement to most of her assessment, though his shoulders tightened a bit when she started calling him names again. It was almost like she thought he wore the mask and bodysuit to be mysterious or something to that effect, that he didn't need it and only did it for attention. He pondered the thought of just taking the mask off to see her throw up the rice balls she'd just eaten, but decided to spare everyone else the experience. He tugged down at the neck to better fit the mask to his face.

"What is your specialty, Michiko?" he said at the end of her dialog.

Spoiler
    Show

16. - Top - End - #106

Michiko

Sitting up a little straighter, Michiko glanced to Masaru. "Me? Stealth and tracking. That, and I have a few techniques for sowing a bit of discord among anyone looking for a fight," she added with a cheeky grin. "Can't see me comin', and if they do, it isn't for long."

She shrugged, leaning back in her chair and taking another bite of rice ball, musing. "I've been wanting to practice some more Suiton techniques, but I haven't had anyone to teach me. There's a few I've heard of that might be fun..."
    Yotsubatar by Dr. Bath

17. - Top - End - #107
    Dwarf in the Playground

Rio

Rio sat quietly, eating his rice ball. When he had finished, he leaned back, listening to Michiko speak. He placed one of his ear buds into his right ear, and began playing music softly as he idly grabbed a pen and scrap of paper and began drawing. When she and Masaru had finished speaking, he spoke up, though still drawing, and the music still in his ear.

"Well, as Michiko stated, chasing cats and pulling weeds aren't really the kind of missions we would like. All the same, a mission is a mission, and I doubt we'd turn any down.

"However, it would be nice to be able to put ourselves to the test on occasion. Escort duty and the like, guard duty, et cetera."

Rio finally looked up, and put down his pen. He had done a fairly detailed sketch of the room, sans people. He grinned slightly before continuing.

"Again, I don't think I'm a 'genius', though it's certainly nice to hear, Michiko. And frankly, from our previous mission, I'm not at all sure that Masaru thinks highly of me. But, all the same, some things just make sense to me. For example, Keimatsu-sensei, I think I know another reason you grouped us together. You have three different members with three separate and complementary skills. Michiko with her specialties in stealth and tracking, Masaru with his focus on taijutsu, and me," he smiled, "with tactics. And some surprises. I tell you, being able to draw your own exploding tags is a nice diversion. Alone, each of us is extrmely vulnerable, but if you combine our strengths, assuming they're applied properly, we have the potential to handle most situations, right?

"Take guarding something or someone, for example. Michiko could sneak out and gather information on any enemies in the area, I could use the information to set up a respectable defense strategy, and Masaru could use the information and plan to best decide which opponent to deal with if it comes to that. However, this is, of course, only an example, and any mission we are assigned, I'm sure would be approved by Ihesamo and thusly be sure to utilise our skills."

His piece said, Rio returns to the paper and pen, flipping it over and begining a new sketch.

18. - Top - End - #108
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Team 1

The Jounin listened silently to what the genin had to say as he lifted up a rice ball and munched on it thoughtfully, directing his full attention on to each one when they spoke up before letting it drift unto the next one when they did. With a smile across his face, Keimatsu sat up and stretched lightly.

"So...let me get this straight...the three of you would like to avoid the 'menial' labor type of missions that are the bread and butter of the shinobi world, were we can charge the rich outregous prices for simple tasks, in exchange for the deadly life-or-death type instead. Well at least you three know what you want." He replied slowly as he went back to the kitchen to get another round of food before returning. There was a mischevious look on his face when he did return.

"Alright, here is whats going to happen. You lot are going to finish of your rice balls, go home and get a good nights sleep, then report to the Academy in the morning to aid in teaching the academy students for the rest of the day. I'll see you in two days then, have fun with the kiddies." Without further gusto, the jounin left his soldiers in his living room with the food and retreated further back into the recesses of the messy apartment only for the sound of a door closing to be heard...

((Here's your guys training/community service time. Use it wisely while I get a mission ready.))

19. - Top - End - #109

Michiko

After leaving Keimatsu's apartment, Michiko waved a quick goodbye to her teammates and wandered the side streets of the Kagekure village, stopping by Kazuma's shop to see if the old man was still alive and to sneak a few dumplings from the kitchen. Heading home, she mused to herself while munching on her filched food from Kazuma's kitchen.

Keimatsu didn't seem very amiable to letting us have tougher missions. Either he thinks we can't handle it, or he's just a lazy kid that doesn't want to do anything that might be dangerous. Besides, if he ever wanted a near-impossible mission, he could always try cleaning that apartment of his, she chuckled to no one in particular. Still, I figure we could handle something that's tougher. Anything's better than D-rank chores.

---

Back at the Academy, Michiko was as cheeky as ever, giving her old instructors as much of a hassle as the young students. She payed special attention to the clowns and smart alecs, encouraging them to practice their techniques while giving advice on mischief. In her usual style, Michiko put her full effort into the task of instruction, still managing to goof off in the process.

In between classes and on her downtime, Michiko was seen scrambling up gutter pipes to the rooftops above, jumping across the gaps between houses in rapid succession. No more screw ups like last time. I almost broke my damn neck!

Spoiler
    Show
    Learn check for Chouyaku no Jutsu (DC 13): Take 10 + 4 + 1 = 15

At the end of two days, Michiko could be seen lazily laying on the roof of her apartment on the ledge beneath the window to her room. She reclined back, arms tucked behind her head and legs crossed one over another, placidly enjoying the shade from the awning above her.

"I wonder when Keimatsu's gonna call us back together," she murmured. With a chuckle, she added "Maybe he got lost in his apartment..."
    Yotsubatar by Dr. Bath

20. - Top - End - #110
    Dwarf in the Playground

Rio left Keimatsu's home and bade his teammates farewell. As he returned to his home, Sakada spied him from the doorway. As she called out to him, Rio offered a small smile and removed his headphones as he went inside.

As Rio and his adoptive sister had a snack and some tea, he recounted his first day on the team.

"Tch. I may as well have not even been there. All I did was get beat up and tell some jokes."

"Hey! How were you supposed to know that you'd be forced to use chakra sealing tags? You focus on your ninjutsu and tags, and your sensei probably knows that. He put you all in a place where your options were limited. As for this test of character you supposedly 'failed', that just means you can redeem yourself, no?"

Rio chuckled a little. "I suppose you're right. Just wish I knew at least one taijutsu, though in all likelihood I'd never use it. Just not my style, you know?"

Sakada laughed. "Trust me, I know. Hey, you have to go teach at the academy for a couple of days, right?" she waited for Rio to nod. "Alright, then here," she scribbled something down, "get someone there to teach you this technique. It's a taijutsu, so I don't know if you'll use it, but get good with it, okay? When you're good, I'll let you know about another technique you can learn based on this one. And the new one will definitely be 'your style'."

At the academy, Rio assisted the students with the basics of plannign and strategy, how to use their surroundings to their advantage, and so on. Heh, if only I'd done that.

He also gave quick instruction on the basic use and fabrication of various tags. His most popular demonstration came when he set off an exploding tag in the middoe of tripwires connected to multiple trap tags, succeeding in demolishing the structure fabricated by the class sensei.

After the class was over, Rio approached his sensei with the paper Sakada had given him. The sensei laughed and remarked that he knew exactly why Sakada was getting Rio to learn this technique. So, in his downtime, Rio was seen practicing this odd taijutsu technique that he believed he'd never have any use for. At any rate, he learned it quickly, faster than he was expected to.

Spoiler
    Show
    Learn check (Seishou Bakuha) DC 13 15+8= 23 Learn time is halved for beating DC by 10, tech learned in full.

In addition, Rio was impressed with the trap tags he got to use at the academy demonstration. So, at night, before he slept, he crafted two tags each night.

Spoiler
    Show
    DC 22, take 10+15=25 four times, totaling four tags.

As the day dawned, he placed his headphones on, and went to the hill where he'd first met his teammates. He liked the view there, and it made for some nice scenery sketches. He chuckled a little to himself. "It's not like Keimatsu sensei will have a hard time finding me."
    Last edited by Bariko; 2007-05-22 at 02:03 PM.

21. - Top - End - #111
    Troll in the Playground

Ibraki Masaru

Masaru parted with the others without more than a word, bidding them farewell before making his way back to the sprawling Mibu compound. The guards at the gates knew him by sight, for truth be told it was hard not to recognize him, and he was waved through without much challenge. That night he was required to spend his time in an immaculately clean room where the medical shinobi of Clan Mibu painstakingly removed his skin-tight black bodysuit from his skin and cleansed his entire body with a medicated, antibiotic bath. Afterword, he was once again carefully replaced back inside the sealed costume to prevent infection. Since the outer layer of his skin was all but gone, his body was without its first layer of protection from disease. The bodysuit, a complicated piece of clothing designed by Mibu's top medical nin, performed that task for him. He had grown used to it, but it still felt like being encased in a thin layer of plastic every day. Before he retired for the night he was able to run through his training regimen, take in a meal of liquid proteins and nutrients, and run through the library of taijutsu techniques the Mibu family had on hand.

The next day, Masaru went to the Ninja Academy as he had been ordered, taking up the kids' physical combat training. He ran them ragged, including a few basic traps and other ninja techniques into the schedule, teaching them how to react quickly to treachery with lightning fast, lethal force. It was a bit much for the naive school-kids, but they came away with a better understanding of taijutsu and its roll in the ninja arsenal. Flashy ninjutsu was fine, but if your opponent got close enough, all the power in the world wasn't going to keep his fist from breaking your face.

After he had performed his tasks, Masaru focused on his own training back at the Mibu compound for the rest of the time he had available. Keeping with what he had just taught the children, he focused mainly on speed. It was a simple technique, but potentially very useful, especially when dealing with aforementioned flashy ninjutsu.

Spoiler
    Show
    Taking 10 on learn check = 14 + 2 (Genius Nin) + Whatever synergy bonuses I get. Learning Ryuutsuki (Dragon Thrust) Taijutsu Rank 2. Learn DC 15.

At the end of the genins' time apart, Masaru could be found once again in the Mibu compound, hitting the training mat as usual, sometimes with sparring partners and other times running through complicated kata he had forced himself to perfect. The dojo was his home more than the room he slept in or the cleanroom he received treatments in. Physical activity was when he could feel the most alive and the least handicapped by his horrible injuries. It was when he could dream of the future, of adventure... but most of all...revenge.

Spoiler
    Show

22. - Top - End - #112
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Rescue the Child!

After the hectic bustle of the Academy, some nice quiet training time could only be appreciated by all of you while you awaited some sign or sight of Keimatsu. And you didn't need to wait long either. It was just morning on the day after training when word was sent in a most unusual way. A pigeon with a note tied to it's foot was sent to each of the three with the same messily scrawled message.

Masaru/Rio/Michiko-kohai

Report to the South district training grounds at the soonest possible moment. No time to waste. Look for purple smoke.

Keimatsu

23. - Top - End - #113

Michiko

Lounging lazily on her bed, Michiko heard a flutter of wings and she opened one eye, turning her head towards the window. Perched patiently on the sill, the pigeon sat, waiting for the girl to get up and take the slip of paper from its foot. As the bird took wing, Michiko scanned the note quickly before stuffing it into her pocket.

"Purple smoke? I'll bet one of the Genin probably set off a stash of smoke bombs by accident." She grinned, "Maybe on purpose. Looks like I might have to knuckle a few heads."

Climbing easily out her window, Michiko stepped out onto the roof of her home and dashed to the edge. She slid down the gutter pipe with a laugh and as soon as her feet were on the ground, the girl was already in mid-dash towards the village's South district, a grin on her face.

"Time to show off."
    Yotsubatar by Dr. Bath

24. - Top - End - #114
    Troll in the Playground

Masaru

If she happened to look up, Michiko would spot Masaru paralleling her course across the rooftops high to her right. Sprinting across the closely-spaced rooftops, he managed to keep up with her on the ground. If noticed, he would favor Michiko with a nod, but keep on running. Whatever was happening, Keimatsu sensei wanted them there fast. More training, no doubt, but arriving late wouldn't serve any purpose.

((OOC: If I need any jump, balance, or tumble checks for running across the rooftops just let me know.))

Spoiler
    Show

25. - Top - End - #115
    Dwarf in the Playground

Rio

The hill was now deserted, the only sign of there ever having been a relaxing youth with pen and paper being a sketch of the surrounding view attached to the tree, with the words "Have a nice day!" written below.

"Hope that brightens someone's day and doesn't just get destroyed by a fireball. Hm, should've thought of that sooner. Ah well." So saying, the youth turns up the volume on his headphones ever so slightly, and sprints towards the appointed place.
    Last edited by Bariko; 2007-05-30 at 05:56 PM.

26. - Top - End - #116
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Naruto d20 (Team A)

Once all three of the genin left for the southern training grounds, it hardly took too much time to find the purple smoke that Keimatsu had been talking about in the note that he had left for them. It was a thick (density-wise) narrow column that rose up to the air and acted as an unerring beacon for the three shinobi.

All the way past various other training grounds it lead until a high chain link fence came into sight. Various signs hung from it, warning away animals and people without proper license. Inside of the fence, the terrain took on a more moutianous look to it with a couple dark openings that could be seen from the safe side.

Keimatsu was sitting outside of the locked gate to the interior, multiple plastic tubes beside him. Every now and then, when it looks like the smoke is teetering off, the jounin cracks another one and sets it down in the exact same position. As the three approach, the kid stands up and brushes off his pants before turning around to face them. All seriousness had vanished from his face and his teal eyes bore up into the eyes of his students.

"I was recently alerted to an alarming situation. A group of children, academy students, apparently entered into these training grounds about a half hour after the sun rose. Probably some stupid prank or dare. But they haven't returned yet and as you can tell, this area is cut off from the other training grounds. Because its a chuunin to jounin level training ground for the finding and disarming of traps and advanced survival. Normally this would be a D-rank mission...but considering the circumstances it has been bumped up to C-rank. Do you understand your goal?"

27. - Top - End - #117
    Troll in the Playground

Ibaraki Masaru

The masked shinobi came to an abrupt halt in front of the jounin and listened silently and intently as their mission was explained to them. He wondered if this was simply another setup courtesy of Keimatsu-sensei, but swiftly decided that it didn't matter too much in the end. They would ace this test of their abilities either way. The semi-failure of their first "mission" was something that had been gnawing at him since they'd completed it and he had resolved to make up for it.

When Keimatsu had finished speaking, Masaru only nodded, declining to speak aloud very much as per his usual. Go in, retrieve the children or their corpses, and return while avoiding traps and other dangers along the way. Sounded simple enough as long as they kept their eyes open.

Spoiler
    Show

28. - Top - End - #118
    Troll in the Playground

((Bumps for great justice!))

Spoiler
    Show

29. - Top - End - #119

Michiko

Michiko listened impatiently, casting worried glances towards the fenced-off training grounds while Keimatsu spoke.

"How many kids got in there, sensei? Do you have a list of names? Anything you could tell us would make our search that much easier. The faster we find these students... Well, if this is a chuunin-level training ground, the traps are probably pretty lethal," she finished with a forced grin.
    Last edited by Catch; 2007-06-05 at 08:58 PM.
    Yotsubatar by Dr. Bath

30. - Top - End - #120
    Dwarf in the Playground

Rio

Rio listened patiently, silenlty scanning the appearance of the training grounds. After Keimatsu finished speaking, and Michiko had her turn, Rio nodded.

"Michiko is right. We'll need to know as much as we can to expedite the search. Is there a map? What information do we get regarding the traps and potential creatures in the enclosure? The mission itself is straightforward, search and rescue, but the details are murky, aren't they?" asked Rio.