New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Firbolg in the Playground

Default The Ultimate Order of the Stick Book Tournament, Round 10

Greetings playgrounders, and welcome to
    The Ultimate Order of the Stick Book Tournament!
    Here, you can vote for your favorite of the first eight books in a double-elimination tournament. Each week I will post a new matchup. Vote in this thread, not by PM. You get one vote per person. If your post contains more than the name or abbreviation of the book's title, I ask that you bold your vote. Votes may take the form either of the book's title, the abbreviation, or the number.

The Contestants
    Dungeon Crawling Fools
    No Cure for Paladin Blues
    War and XP
    Don't Split the Party
    Blood Runs in the Family
    On the Origins of the PCs
    The Start of Darkness
    Snips, Snails and Dragon Tales

Although BRitF has not been released, I think that we have seen enough of it from the online strips to include it in the running.

Last match was a tie, 5-5, until Mike Mearls, lead designer of the fourth edition dimension, decided that Snips Snails and Dragon Tales was overpowered. SSaDT was nerfed in the most recent errata tiebreaker for the fourth edition dimension, leaving No Cure for Paladin Blues victorious!

Current Bracket Standings: clicky!

The Current Match:
    Don't Split the Party
    vs. Blood Runs in the Family

The loser of this match will be eliminated!

The current match will end Saturday, June 28. Vote away!

2. - Top - End - #2
    Troll in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Default Re: The Ultimate Order of the Stick Book Tournament, Round 10

While this contest is still challenging, it is a lot easier to make than last week's. I will support Blood Runs in the Family.

Peelee’s Lotsey

3. - Top - End - #3
    Bugbear in the Playground

Don't Split the Party is the best volume of Order of the Stick.

Is it perfect? No. Elan's subplot featured a forgettable C-list villain and a new female character whose existence seemed to revolve (sigh) around Elan. Roy-In-Heaven offered some interesting character development--particularly with respect to the Roy/Eugene dynamic--but suffered from a lack of urgency. Durkon did nothing of note the entire book.

Doesn't matter, because the balance of the material was masterful. Daarth Vaarsuvius. The friendship of O-Chul and the MitD. The genesis of Belkar's fake character development. The finest material Haley has had, I think: nice to see her not mooning over Elan, and interacting with another sympathetic female character (Celia). Roy & Eric playing blocks. The Cleric of Loki. Haley chucking Belkar's chocolate bar. The use of multiple color schemes (neither all-azure nor all-sepia). Power equals power. Kazumi's re-population strategy. I adore it.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ogre in the Playground

I really enjoyed DStP, but for now I will go for BRitF.

Problems with [table]?
    All you want to know about [table]!
    The Order of the Stick
    Kickstarter Reward Collection

Last updated: 2016/08/09, containing:
    9 Crayon Drawings | 21 Stick its | 47 Signature Doodles

Custom Avatar made by the Giant.

Thanks!

5. - Top - End - #5

NinjaGuy

Ooh, tough call. Both books are pretty solid in the story department, but I think BRitF just edges out.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fish View Post
    She was about to say "--this new place that just opened up, Starshinia, which was founded by a red-headed aasimar, but was just taken over by an Azurite fallen paladin turned blackguard. Apropos of nothing, I hear they just invented a new spell called Halflings Don't Have To Breathe."

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ettin in the Playground

These are both pretty much tied for my third/fourth favorite of all the OOTS books. The Darth V segment and strips #870-914 are the dramatic high points of the series.

I think Don't Split the Party wins by a smidgen.
    THE SCRYING EYE AT THE END OF STRIP #698 WAS ZZ'DTRI'S (SOURCE)

7. - Top - End - #7
    Banned

Daemon

Blood Runs In The Family is full of bloat and stuffing. Don't Split the Party only has the good stuff

8. - Top - End - #8
    Troll in the Playground

Blood runs in the family does seem to be leisurely in getting going, and the desert is just not as interesting or full of character development and drama as Mount Celestia, Don't Split the Party.
    Quote Originally Posted by Morty View Post
    It would have been awesome if the writers had put as much thought into it as you guys do.
    The laws of physics are not crying in a corner, they are bawling in the forums.

Thanks to half-halfling for the avatar

9. - Top - End - #9
    Ogre in the Playground

Don't Split the Party lags ever so slightly, but Blood Runs in the Family is great all the way through. It gave huge amounts of character development to a lot of characters, including my favorite, and introduced tons of new things that all add something great.
    Quote Originally Posted by T-O-E View Post
    MAJOR SPOILERS. Seriously!
    The last panel will be...
    Spoiler
    Show
    Black. 'The End' in white text.

Don't say I didn't warn you.
    I won a thread. Am I pathetic to list that in my signture? Yes. Of course I am.

Awesome avatar is awesome. And made by yldenfrei.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Barbarian in the Playground

DwarfFighterGuy

Blood runs in the Family

Also, sigh, I missed the last round when I could have actually made a difference. The update schedule is super confusing.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Troll in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Procyonpi View Post
    Blood runs in the Family

Also, sigh, I missed the last round when I could have actually made a difference. The update schedule is super confusing.
    It's starts on Saturday and goes for a full week.

12. - Top - End - #12

BlueWizardGirl

Wow, this is a difficult one. I really enjoy V's arc in both books, and the Elan-Therkla story in DSTP, and Roy's time in the Celestial Realm (in particular, the insight into how people are judged). The Thieves' Guild arc doesn't really engage me at all, though. And the O-Chul plotline is just fantastic.

In BRiTF, some of the Empire of Blood and Linear Guild plots start to drag, but there's also excellent character development for every character, and basically everything after Malack vamps out is amazing. And we have Gobbotopia, one of my favourite short sections of the comic, and Redcloak awesomely disposing of Tsukiko.

I think I will go with Don't Split the Party. Primarily for the Darth V arc and the O-Chul-Monster friendship. The book created a great story without needing a Gate to make everything revolve around.

13. - Top - End - #13

This is a hard one. Both are really incredible books, but I think... I think I might end up voting for Blood Runs in the Family. Yeah, that one gets my vote.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Titan in the Playground

BRitF gets my vote. DStP felt like an overly long subplot to me. The book barely involved 'major' points like the snarl and the gates, and while the introduction of the IFCC and the 'Darth Vaarsuvius' arc were nice, it was too little, too late.

BRitF, however, was enjoyable to read. The plot finally moved on, it gave us memorable new characters (Tarquin, Malack, Durkula, and let us not forget Bloodfeast!), and had its Great Moments of Plot Importance. ('V killed Girard!', 'Tarquin is Elan's father!', 'The snarl may be real after all!')
    Creator of the LA-assignment thread.

Come join the new Junkyard Wars and build with SLAs and a breath weapon!

Interested in judging a build competition on the 3.5 forums but not sure where to begin? Check out the judging handbook!

Extended signature!

15. - Top - End - #15
    Firbolg in the Playground

Voting is now closed. The winner, by a 7-5 margin, is Blood Runs in the Family!
    Now we are moving on to the first semi-finals!