New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 42 of 49 FirstFirst ... 17323334353637383940414243444546474849 LastLast
Results 1,231 to 1,260 of 1462
  1. - Top - End - #1231
    Colossus in the Playground

Default Re: LGBTAI+ Questions, Information and Discussion thread!

Oh, you mean when it's completely separate? Like heteroromantic and homosexual? I'm not sure. I know there's a category of "men who have sex with men" which might include people who fit something like that, but I don't know any personally.

2. - Top - End - #1232
    Ogre in the Playground

Imp

Quote Originally Posted by Serpentine View Post
    (snip)

Copied from the r'ships thread, cuz I thought there might be some more specific experience over here.
    I have a pair of guy friends, a couple. They're looking for... Ever heard of a Unicorn? Basically they're looking for a woman to join their relationship in an exclusive trio, with the long-term goal of making a family (no pressure or anything!). Aside from this, they're both fairly vanilla, and so aren't keen on looking on Fetlife or in the local BDSM community, and haven't had much luck with OKCupid. How should they go about looking for this particular type of person?
    They could probably get a reality show on the Discovery Channel. That setup is kind of making the bigfoot guys sound reasonable.

(Not saying it IS impossible, but I think it sounds highly unlikely and will probably blow up spectacularly if they find someone willing to try it out.)
    This signature is no longer incredibly out of date, but it is still irrelevant.

3. - Top - End - #1233
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Icewraith View Post
    They could probably get a reality show on the Discovery Channel. That setup is kind of making the bigfoot guys sound reasonable.

(Not saying it IS impossible, but I think it sounds highly unlikely and will probably blow up spectacularly if they find someone willing to try it out.)
    It happens, but it's rare (hence the term unicorn).

I know a stable trio like that. They're very sweet, and have a kid on the way.
    Spoiler
    Show
    My motto: Repensum Est Canicula.

Quote Originally Posted by turkishproverb View Post
    I am not getting into a shootout with Golentan. Too many gun-arms.
    Leiningen will win, even if he must lose in the attempt.

Credit to Astrella for the new party avatar.

4. - Top - End - #1234
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Icewraith View Post

I think the only potential issue there is that they want the third to slot in effortlessly and not change what's between the two of them. Otherwise it's just the standard poly problems.
    LGBTA+itP

5. - Top - End - #1235
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by golentan View Post
    It happens, but it's rare (hence the term unicorn).

I know a stable trio like that. They're very sweet, and have a kid on the way.
    D'awww~

That's so sweet ^_^

6. - Top - End - #1236
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Gwynfrid View Post
    How common is it that someone finds one gender sexually attractive and another gender romantically attractive? Can anyone describe such an experience?
    I'm like that.

I mean I like dudes. I feel attracted to them but most of the guys I know are well... Kind of jerks. I'm kind of a romatic person and I can't picture myself being all hugs and cuddles with a guy it kind of feels wrong to me like that is not how it is supose to be between men.

And that is why I like girls in the romantic sense. I can be gentle and kind to them and that would feel right... But I can't feel attracted to them no matter how much I try.

So with girls romance, poetry and courtly love and with guys deep friendship, brotherhood and something more sexual.

Now how common that is I have no ideia. Most of my gay friends are completely repulsed by the idea of a naked girl.
    Last edited by Zurvan; 2014-11-04 at 06:01 PM.

7. - Top - End - #1237
    Firbolg in the Playground

Oh, you mean when it's completely separate? Like heteroromantic and homosexual? I'm not sure. I know there's a category of "men who have sex with men" which might include people who fit something like that, but I don't know any personally.
    Yes that's what I meant.

Quote Originally Posted by Zurvan View Post
    I'm like that.

I mean I like dudes. I feel attracted to them but most of the guys I know are well... Kind of jerks. I'm kind of a romatic person and I can't picture myself being all hugs and cuddles with a guy it kind of feels wrong to me like that is not how it is supose to be between men.

And that is why I like girls in the romantic sense. I can be gentle and kind to them and that would feel right... But I can't feel attracted to them no matter how much I try.

So with girls romance, poetry and courtly love and with guys deep friendship, brotherhood and something more sexual.

Now how common that is I have no ideia. Most of my gay friends are completely repulsed by the idea of a naked girl.
    [Narrowly manages to refrain from knee-jerk, unhelpful reaction]

I'm not sure what to make of it to be honest, but I appreciate knowing that it can exist from direct testimony. I'm filing it under "things I learned that widen my perspective". So, thanks.

8. - Top - End - #1238
    Banned

[Narrowly manages to refrain from knee-jerk, unhelpful reaction]

I'm not sure what to make of it to be honest, but I appreciate knowing that it can exist from direct testimony. I'm filing it under "things I learned that widen my perspective". So, thanks.
    For what it's worth, I understand Zurvan's point. I absolutely refuse to be in a relationship with a man if they will treat me like men are expected to treat women.

9. - Top - End - #1239

SiuiS, while I may understand the sentiment, your statement strikes me as rather offensive, notwithstanding the conditional and the passive tense.

10. - Top - End - #1240
    Troll in the Playground

SiuiS, while I may understand the sentiment, your statement strikes me as rather offensive, notwithstanding the conditional and the passive tense.
    I'm curious how you can be offended by someone's personal relationship preferences.
    Witty sig here nosey, aren't ya?

11. - Top - End - #1241
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by SiuiS View Post
    For what it's worth, I understand Zurvan's point. I absolutely refuse to be in a relationship with a man if they will treat me like men are expected to treat women.
    If you don't mind, could you elaborate on how men are expected to treat women? We seem to have made different experiences.
    Last edited by Iruka; 2014-11-05 at 07:57 AM.

"Children grow up to be people? All the children I knew grew up to be machines."
    ~Augustus von Fabelrath~
    Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    Somebody should have that sigged.
    Member of Peelee's Church of Sudden Skylight

12. - Top - End - #1242

Quote Originally Posted by Marnath View Post
    I'm curious how you can be offended by someone's personal relationship preferences.
    I read that statement as about the general, much more so than the personal.

13. - Top - End - #1243

NecromancerGuy

A convenient thing about not being straight is that one no longer has any real obligation to abide by heteronormative strictures. Jerks are jerks, but you'll be a lot happier once you finally realize that not only are you able to be a full person, but also so are men.

"Courtly Love" is more out of place than your decidedly unfortunate idea that men cannot be fully human and instead must be hypermasculine beasts.

It would be an interesting question to see answered, how much of such things are from the person and how much of that is from a cultural expectation they feel obligated to perform to.
    Last edited by Coidzor; 2014-11-05 at 03:36 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Keld Denar View Post
    +3 Girlfriend is totally unoptimized. You are better off with a +1 Keen Witty girlfriend and then appling Greater Magic Make-up to increase her enhancement bonus.
    Homebrew
    To Do: Reboot and finish Riptide

14. - Top - End - #1244
    Titan in the Playground

I like courtly love. I'd like for some guy to romance me and woo me with flowers and poetry and tender kisses in the garden.

Instead guys on dating sites keep sending me pictures of their penis.
    Spoiler
    Show

15. - Top - End - #1245

NecromancerGuy

I like courtly love. I'd like for some guy to romance me and woo me with flowers and poetry and tender kisses in the garden.

If you're kissing then you've transgressed courtly love. That's more, y'know, romance.

Instead of being treated like a meat vending machine which is near as I've been able to ascertain is the nature of **** pics when they're not just a form of harassment to cause discomfort and anxiety in a victim.
    Last edited by Coidzor; 2014-11-05 at 03:45 PM.
    +3 Girlfriend is totally unoptimized. You are better off with a +1 Keen Witty girlfriend and then appling Greater Magic Make-up to increase her enhancement bonus.
    Homebrew

16. - Top - End - #1246
    Ogre in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

I would totally put this quote in my signature if I didn't mind the word "penis" appearing in literally every one of my posts.

EDIT: Next to Coid's post, I'd like to say that I'm assuming that the statement above is meant to be humorous, given the whiplash. If it's not, go ahead and disregard this post.
    Last edited by BladeofObliviom; 2014-11-05 at 03:48 PM.

17. - Top - End - #1247
    Troll in the Playground

I know a few people who are biromantic but homo/heterosexual.
    ASide from this one particular thread, I've never seen anyone who's completely homo- on one spectrum and hetero- on the other

"This is why it hurts the way it hurts.
    You have too many words in your head.
    There are too many ways to describe the way you feel.
    You will never have the luxury of a dull ache.
    You must suffer through the intricacy of feeling too much"

— Iain S. Thomas

18. - Top - End - #1248
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by RabbitHoleLost View Post
    ASide from this one particular thread, I've never seen anyone who's completely homo- on one spectrum and hetero- on the other
    I've commented before, but I don't think it's as uncommon as many people think. I'm sure everyone can think of someone who has a revolving door of sexual partners but a really close emotional connection with a best friend of their non-preferred gender. I've often wondered if there's a romantic orientation in opposition to sexual orientation in play in those sorts of situations.
    Spoiler
    Show

19. - Top - End - #1249
    Troll in the Playground

I've commented before, but I don't think it's as uncommon as many people think. I'm sure everyone can think of someone who has a revolving door of sexual partners but a really close emotional connection with a best friend of their non-preferred gender. I've often wondered if there's a romantic orientation in opposition to sexual orientation in play in those sorts of situations.
    Yeah, but there's a difference between a really close emotional connection with a best friend and romantic interest

— Iain S. Thomas

20. - Top - End - #1250
    Titan in the Playground

Yeah, but there's a difference between a really close emotional connection with a best friend and romantic interest
    I'm just saying, if you've been conditioned your whole life that romance is tied with sex, it might be easy to mistake a crush for a really close friendship.

"I'm heterosexual unambiguously, so the fact that I spend every saturday hugging my girlfriend over drinks and sobbing "I love you, if you were a man I'd marry you in a heartbeat" is just something straight people do, right?"

That sounds like exaggeration, but I have seen that exact behavior. She went home with a man later that night and never went on a second date with him.
    Spoiler
    Show

21. - Top - End - #1251
    Bugbear in the Playground

This might describe me. I know few men I would be okay in getting romantically involved with, but I find very very few men sexually attractive. And even then its usually those with rather androgyneous body types. I usually describe myself as bicurious lesbian because of that.
    "Best na ta challenge that Delusion" - Durkon in #674

Fairy avatar made by araveugnitsuga.
    Cultist avatar made by Darwin.
    Paladin avatar made by Ceika.

I have started a fantasy webseries about a trans woman wanting to become a paladin:
    http://kirjotusvihe.deviantart.com/gallery/47065120
    http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showt...-Paladin-Story

22. - Top - End - #1252
    Troll in the Playground

I'm just saying, if you've been conditioned your whole life that romance is tied with sex, it might be easy to mistake a crush for a really close friendship.

"I'm heterosexual unambiguously, so the fact that I spend every saturday hugging my girlfriend over drinks and sobbing "I love you, if you were a man I'd marry you in a heartbeat" is just something straight people do, right?"

That sounds like exaggeration, but I have seen that exact behavior. She went home with a man later that night and never went on a second date with him.
    I want to disagree on the basis that I think a lot of people disregard the importance of close platonic relationships in favor of viewing them romantically, since society pushes such an importance on romantic love, to the point of belittling platonic love
    but, considering I did the opposite (mistaking really close friendship for romance) quite often, there's no reason to say that the opposite couldn't happen more often than we think

— Iain S. Thomas

23. - Top - End - #1253

NecromancerGuy

I want to disagree on the basis that I think a lot of people disregard the importance of close platonic relationships in favor of viewing them romantically, since society pushes such an importance on romantic love, to the point of belittling platonic love
    but, considering I did the opposite (mistaking really close friendship for romance) quite often, there's no reason to say that the opposite couldn't happen more often than we think
    It's rather easy for something to happen more often than either "never," "a statistical anomaly, so basically never," "the idea never occurred to me," or "wot?" after all.
    Homebrew

24. - Top - End - #1254
    Titan in the Playground

I'm not sure the distinctions people draw between the different types of love are as meaningful as everyone else seems to think they are, but I spend most of my time disagreeing with standard human emotional responses, so make of that as you will.

I mean, there's a line somewhere between familial love and romantic love for me, but both bleed over into platonic so much that I have trouble viewing platonic love as its own thing.
    Spoiler
    Show

25. - Top - End - #1255
    Troll in the Playground

I'm not sure the distinctions people draw between the different types of love are as meaningful as everyone else seems to think they are, but I spend most of my time disagreeing with standard human emotional responses, so make of that as you will.

I mean, there's a line somewhere between familial love and romantic love for me, but both bleed over into platonic so much that I have trouble viewing platonic love as its own thing.
    I guess it only really matters to those of us who are largely incapable of romantic feelings

— Iain S. Thomas

26. - Top - End - #1256

Mm, that might be the privilege of those for whom they all come relatively easily. Even with that one person for whom I had a mix of all the types of love I described in the other post, like a twist of rope I could still tease out the different strands of the individual types - "this feeling here is platonic, of course, and there's a nice thick stretch of physical desire, a tiny thread of romance but not enough to hold anything substantial, and - oh! familial love, a good strong length, that's unusual."

27. - Top - End - #1257
    Titan in the Playground

Mm, that might be the privilege of those for whom they all come relatively easily. Even with that one person for whom I had a mix of all the types of love I described in the other post, like a twist of rope I could still tease out the different strands of the individual types - "this feeling here is platonic, of course, and there's a nice thick stretch of physical desire, a tiny thread of romance but not enough to hold anything substantial, and - oh! familial love, a good strong length, that's unusual."
    It might also just be one of those pitfalls I have in comprehending other people's emotions. There are these big holes where I'm supposed to have feelings, and there are nuances of feelings I have no words for. And I've looked. For years I've looked for that right adjective to describe my feeling towards children, or that one variety of emotion that's like melancholy except pleasurable.

Love that emotion. Nobody else seems to get it. I say I'm feeling melancholy and everyone is all "oh noes" instead of "awesome."

Humans are weird, and I don't understand them is what I'm getting at here. I like enjoying the end result, but teasing apart the motive forces in you guys is exhausting.
    Spoiler
    Show

28. - Top - End - #1258
    Troll in the Playground

It might also just be one of those pitfalls I have in comprehending other people's emotions. There are these big holes where I'm supposed to have feelings, and there are nuances of feelings I have no words for. And I've looked. For years I've looked for that right adjective to describe my feeling towards children, or that one variety of emotion that's like melancholy except pleasurable.

Love that emotion. Nobody else seems to get it. I say I'm feeling melancholy and everyone is all "oh noes" instead of "awesome."

Humans are weird, and I don't understand them is what I'm getting at here. I like enjoying the end result, but teasing apart the motive forces in you guys is exhausting.
    Although I'm not challenging the validity of the feelings you have or that they may play a part in the understanding, it's actually a pretty common thing to not realize there's a difference.
    Sort of like how people are often unaware of the fact that romantic orientations are even a thing, much less that they don't always coincide with sexual orientations, and how these people are often typically matching in their romantic and sexual orientations
    or the difference between gender identity and sexual identity, for cisgendered people

if it's not a thing that applies to you, it's sort of hard to realize there's a distinction in the first place

— Iain S. Thomas

29. - Top - End - #1259

I know I get "if you really really, really really, really like that person, why can't you just love them/aren't you basically already loving them/isn't that enough for a romantic relationship?"

30. - Top - End - #1260
    Titan in the Playground

Bittersweet, possibly? Not sure if I understand exactly what you're describing, but the connotation is closer, even if the definition is off.
    Avatar by GryffonDurime. Thanks!