New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
  1. - Top - End - #91
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Would this be tier 0?

Quote Originally Posted by nedz View Post
    No actually: It's never been clear what Tier a Spirit Shaman is. I've seen several quite long threads on this question and people normally split 50-50 between T1 and T2, with a few outsiders claiming lower tiers. Now I don't want to derail this thread into re-hashing this debate but this question is part of what led me to consider this view of the higher tiers
    Oh, no I wasn't saying that it is Tier 2, just that there are good arguments for putting it there (which may or may be countered by better arguments for Tier 1). Wu Jen I think is more solidly Tier 2. Yes, it has the spirit binding line, but DN has planar binding. It has a few broken 9th-level spells, but not many more than Sorcerer or Psion and its lower-level spell selection is much less versatile than the things a sorcerer can pull off (e.g. no shadow conjuration and kin).

And even if that still isn't tier 2 by virtue of its few very powerful spells, I'm pretty sure I could come up with a list that would make it tier 2 because it has exactly one game-breaking spell at each level and merely solid ones aside from that.
    Author of The Auspician's Handbook and The Tempestarian's Handbook for Spheres of Power.
    Ask me (or the other authors) anything.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lateral View Post
    Well, of course I'm paranoid about everything. Hell, with Jeff as DM, I'd be paranoid even if we were playing a game set in The Magic Kiddie Funland of Perfectly Flat Planes and Sugar Plums.
    Greenman by Bradakhan/Spring Greenman by Comissar/Autumn Greenman by Sgt. Pepper/Winter Greenman by gurgleflep

2. - Top - End - #92
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff the Green View Post
    Oh, no I wasn't saying that it is Tier 2, just that there are good arguments for putting it there (which may or may be countered by better arguments for Tier 1). Wu Jen I think is more solidly Tier 2. Yes, it has the spirit binding line, but DN has planar binding. It has a few broken 9th-level spells, but not many more than Sorcerer or Psion and its lower-level spell selection is much less versatile than the things a sorcerer can pull off (e.g. no shadow conjuration and kin).

And even if that still isn't tier 2 by virtue of its few very powerful spells, I'm pretty sure I could come up with a list that would make it tier 2 because it has exactly one game-breaking spell at each level and merely solid ones aside from that.
    It depends on the power level of the Wu Jen's spell list - if it can be used to solve any problem, it is Tier 1. If it can't, it is Tier 3.
    I'd say Tier 3, since she is missing a lot of things 9h level spells can do.
    Same with Spirit Shaman.

A class can be Tier 2 only if it has the flexibility to be built (using its class features) to solve any problem. Fixed list casters rarely have that.

Quote Originally Posted by NichG View Post
    Here's a class for evaluation against the 'Tier 0' rubrick.
    So, Tier 0?
    Looks good

3. - Top - End - #93
    Colossus in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by SinsI View Post
    It depends on the power level of the Wu Jen's spell list - if it can be used to solve any problem, it is Tier 1. If it can't, it is Tier 3.
    Well, let's give the classic challenges a shot - if the Wu Jen is T1, it should be able to solve the encounters with only a few spells, or otherwise outperform a lower-tier class specialized in that role. From memory, they were:

Pass through a dragon's lair and slay the dragon in single combat.
    The wizard's benchmarks here are Invisibility, Silence, and Alter Self-type spells to acquire necessary movement types while staying undetectable. Once they find the dragon, Shivering Touch makes short work of it.

Wu Jen gets Alter Self (and its big brother, Shapechange), and Invisibility, but not Silence. They do eventually get Ethereal Jaunt, though, and can use Spirit Self to scout undetected. They don't have Shivering Touch, but an array of protective spells like Displacement and Heart of Water should see them through while they attack with Entangling Scarf, Creeping Darkness, and various other really nice debuffs. Wu Jen can use Spirit Binding to bring along elementals keyed to the dragon's weakness, too. They're not as good as the wizard here, but only because Shivering Touch is ridiculous. I'd say they do about as well as a druid would. Body Outside Body and Giant Size both make appearances here as hilarious Wu Jen-only options that really give them an edge. Surelife lets them become immune to the dragon's breath weapon.

Help an army defend an outpost against an approaching invasion.
    Spirit binding, Animate Dead, and summoning really shines here. Stockpiling fire shuriken is also handy for equipping your men. Ice Blast is great against multiple weak foes, Ghost Light makes them flee in terror.

Make contact with an underground resistance and make them trust you.
    Secret Signs is amazing for secretive communication. Your standard Charms and Dominates happen here, too. I'm really bored of reading this spell list, now, though. Damn thing is really long.

Seems to me that Wu Jen wreck these things just as well as any wizard.
    Quote Originally Posted by Inevitability View Post
    Greater
    \ˈgrā-tər \
    comparative adjective
    1. Describing basically the exact same monster but with twice the RHD.
    Quote Originally Posted by Artanis View Post
    I'm going to be honest, "the Welsh became a Great Power and conquered Germany" is almost exactly the opposite of the explanation I was expecting

4. - Top - End - #94
    Titan in the Playground

I'd say Tier 3, since she is missing a lot of things 9h level spells can do.
    Same with Spirit Shaman.

A class can be Tier 2 only if it has the flexibility to be built (using its class features) to solve any problem. Fixed list casters rarely have that.

Looks good
    I thought it was primarily about the number of campaign-/encounter-wrecking things a given build of the class could do. Sorcerer has a couple because his list of known spells is short. Wu Jen has a couple because her class list is short and doesn't contain a number of the versatility tricks a sorcerer can pull off.
    Author of The Auspician's Handbook and The Tempestarian's Handbook for Spheres of Power.
    Ask me (or the other authors) anything.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lateral View Post
    Well, of course I'm paranoid about everything. Hell, with Jeff as DM, I'd be paranoid even if we were playing a game set in The Magic Kiddie Funland of Perfectly Flat Planes and Sugar Plums.
    Greenman by Bradakhan/Spring Greenman by Comissar/Autumn Greenman by Sgt. Pepper/Winter Greenman by gurgleflep

5. - Top - End - #95

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff the Green View Post
    I thought it was primarily about the number of campaign-/encounter-wrecking things a given build of the class could do. Sorcerer has a couple because his list of known spells is short. Wu Jen has a couple because her class list is short and doesn't contain a number of the versatility tricks a sorcerer can pull off.
    It is also about ability to solve a particular campaign. If you can solve anything using one build, you are T1. If for any given problem you can make a build that solves it, it is T2. If there are things you can't solve at all using class abilities, it is T3 or worse.
    I.e. let's ask wizard, sorcerer and Wu Jen to determine what exactly happened in an area.
    Wizard casts Hindsight and gives you the anwer, so he is T1. You can build a sorcerer to know Hindsight, so he is T2. Wu Jen has no spells capable of doing that, so he is T3 or worse.

Quote Originally Posted by Flickerdart View Post
    Well, let's give the classic challenges a shot - if the Wu Jen is T1, it should be able to solve the encounters with only a few spells, or otherwise outperform a lower-tier class specialized in that role. From memory, they were:

Seems to me that Wu Jen wreck these things just as well as any wizard.
    To be a T1, you have to be able to solve any encounter. Classic encounters are low difficulty (any of them can be solved by Wish, so Wu Jen can do them no problem).

But it is easy to see that since Wu Jen has a limited list of 9th level spells, he can't do anything to problems that require 9th level spells he doesn't have: the country with him is covered with antimagic field created by an artifact? No Mordenkainen's Disjunction, so Wu Jen acts as a glorified commoner...

6. - Top - End - #96
    Colossus in the Playground

To be a T1, you have to be able to solve any encounter. Classic encounters are low difficulty (any of them can be solved by Wish, so Wu Jen can do them no problem).
    Wish isn't an option for the majority of the game, and doesn't really play into the tier system all that much. You might notice that the Druid and every Cleric without the Magic domain don't have Disjunction either, and both are T1s, so your example isn't relevant.
    Last edited by Flickerdart; 2014-06-27 at 02:36 AM.

7. - Top - End - #97

It is also about ability to solve a particular campaign. If you can solve anything using one build, you are T1. If for any given problem you can make a build that solves it, it is T2. If there are things you can't solve at all using class abilities, it is T3 or worse.
    I.e. let's ask wizard, sorcerer and Wu Jen to determine what exactly happened in an area.
    Wizard casts Hindsight and gives you the anwer, so he is T1. You can build a sorcerer to know Hindsight, so he is T2. Wu Jen has no spells capable of doing that, so he is T3 or worse.
    You're example is making an assumption that the only way to solve this particular encounter is the spell hindsight. When checking for ways to solve encounters, general encounters are proposed followed by multiple solutions. Its like if I said there is an encounter where an npc will do 100 damage unmigigatable damage to every PC before they are allowed to combat him. Thus the encounter can only be won if you have 100 or more hp right? Guess fighter is tier 1.
    4/10/2013 is this first day I used blue text. Isn't that soooo cool
    Quirble muffins - with credit to Xervous and myself. Now with 50 cent royalties
    I just learned about dawn of worlds and its so cool! Anyone who likes group worldbuilding, check it out!
    Official member of the Rudisplorker guild, the new guy of the bunch. All hail Orcus!

8. - Top - End - #98
    Troll in the Playground

Ninth-level spells are a poor benchmark regardless. A sorcerer with shapechange or gate as a 9th-level spell known is functionally tier one at that point. Heck, for that matter, so is a healer - gate spamming can be the answer to basically any possible scenario. Wu jens get shapechange at level 17, so even in this odd scenario where only hindsight will do, they can just turn into a black ethergaunt or something and cast it. But again, if we're basing tier off of what happens in the high levels, then a truenamer is arguably tier one.

What's more important to determining the tier of a class is what happens in levels 5-15, in my opinion. Things don't really break down quite as much at that point.

In any case, a wu jen is probably tier one, and might be tier three. There's no possible way I can see it as tier two though. And none of this gets us any closer to determining whether or not a tier zero is necessary (spoiler alert: probably not) and if so, what it is.
    Last edited by Piggy Knowles; 2014-06-27 at 07:48 AM.
    Optimization Showcase in the Playground

Former projects:
    Shadowcaster Handbook
    Archer Build Compendium

Iron Chef Awards!
    Spoiler
    Show

GOLD
    IC LXXVI: Talos
    IC LXXV: Alphonse Louise Constant
    IC XLIX: Babalon, Queen of Bones
    IC XLV: Dead Mists