New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 7 of 49 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161732 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #181
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: EMPIRE! CWBG VII: Dancing With Headless Princesses! (Fish, Saffron & Ginger Editi

Yeah, the location is a fairly minor issue as far as these things go; there are a lot of bigger questions that would need answering first. Speed is a/the major one, and is an OOC issue as well as an IC one. But there's also the problem that there's no corpus of international law for such a court to enforce. There's not much point having a court to rule on international crimes until we've agreed terms for everyone to abide by (which is likely to be slow going, hence why we're starting with important but uncontroversial issues).

I think the summit runs a serious risk of trying to do too much and as a result achieving nothing. I really don't think (IC or OOC) that Telluris is ready for a UN/ICC-type body. People who are protective of their rights and sovereignty are probably going to be so regardless of whether it's a bigger power dictating to them or an independent organisation.
    GITP Blood Bowl Manager Cup
    Red Sabres - Season I Cup Champions, two-time Cup Semifinalists
    Anlec Razors - Two-time Cup Semifinalists
    Bad Badenhof Bats - Season VII Cup Champions
    League Wiki

Spoiler: Previous Avatars
    Show
    (by Strawberries)
    (by Rain Dragon)

2. - Top - End - #182
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: EMPIRE! CWBG VII: Dancing With Headless Princesses! (Fish, Saffron & Ginger Editi

Quote Originally Posted by QuintonBeck View Post
    The location isn't really the problem people have, nor is it a matter of who's in charge of it (since it was assumed appointees would likely be chosen per nation-specific ways). As was discussed it's an issue with how fast such a mechanism can work and how it can actually enforce anything it decides which I've brought up again IC. And we were making progress with the Prisoner things
    How would we enforce the prisioner things then? Or anything? The nations that join uphold the nations that join. So one decides to break the mandates, then they are held accountable per their agreement. Trials take longer and could have happened for Tulupo, and Zhuang for that matter, at the council. It's not a mechanic for immediate things, but as a pervasive method to reach a mutuality between all nations that signed on. It worked with the Grand Coalition - though it was percieved wrong by the masses. But if all the masses were included...it might be a little different. For things like blockades and such, that would have to be something that we agree on like prisioners, and mandates to enforce if such things happen, just like prisioners might.
    Scientific Name: Wombous apocolypticus | Diet: Apocolypse Pie | Cuddly: Yes

World Building Projects:
    Magic
    : The Stuff of Sentience | Fate: The Fabric of Physics | Luck: The Basis of Biology

Order of the Stick Projects:
    Annotation of the Comic | Magic Compendium of the Comic | Transcription of the Comic
    Dad-a-chum? Dum-a-chum? Ded-a-chek? Did-a-chick?
    Extended Signature | My DeviantArt | Majora's Mask Point Race
    (you can't take the sky from me)

3. - Top - End - #183
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by TheWombatOfDoom View Post
    How would we enforce the prisioner things then? Or anything? The nations that join uphold the nations that join. So one decides to break the mandates, then they are held accountable per their agreement. Trials take longer and could have happened for Tulupo, and Zhuang for that matter, at the council. It's not a mechanic for immediate things, but as a pervasive method to reach a mutuality between all nations that signed on. It worked with the Grand Coalition - though it was percieved wrong by the masses. But if all the masses were included...it might be a little different. For things like blockades and such, that would have to be something that we agree on like prisioners, and mandates to enforce if such things happen, just like prisioners might.
    You're mixing the issues. Having a standard for prisoners is something that a nation will be personally responsible for enforcing and have control over itself. While breaking such agreement would bring the ire of the rest of the world and likely lead to international intervention it isn't the same thing as saying you will abide by and enforce the decisions made by a foreign, albeit international, court and hand over your armies/resources/technologies as necessary to enforce the edicts of an international judgment. Being willing to enforce an internationally agreed upon standard within your nation by your own hand is a different thing from agreeing to allow an international hand to use your stuff to enforce its standard.

I think the best that can be hoped for atm is getting some internationally recognized standards out there for basic stuff that can be agreed upon by the current leaders of nations. The concept of an actual international body capable of drafting and passing further strictures to which all represented nations will be bound is quite plainly not going to happen at this time. Let the international laws we can agree on be written and accepted then in a few decades perhaps an actual international body can be formed.

Spoiler
    Show

Amazing Avatar by Qwernt! Thank you!

Quote Originally Posted by Kornaki View Post
    The whole world is held aloft by a dragon.

That dragon? Held aloft by a bigger dragon.

It's dragons all the way up
    Beat the bejesus out of a Paladin

4. - Top - End - #184
    Ettin in the Playground

You're mixing the issues. Having a standard for prisoners is something that a nation will be personally responsible for enforcing and have control over itself. While breaking such agreement would bring the ire of the rest of the world and likely lead to international intervention it isn't the same thing as saying you will abide by and enforce the decisions made by a foreign, albeit international, court and hand over your armies/resources/technologies as necessary to enforce the edicts of an international judgment. Being willing to enforce an internationally agreed upon standard within your nation by your own hand is a different thing from agreeing to allow an international hand to use your stuff to enforce its standard.

I think the best that can be hoped for atm is getting some internationally recognized standards out there for basic stuff that can be agreed upon by the current leaders of nations. The concept of an actual international body capable of drafting and passing further strictures to which all represented nations will be bound is quite plainly not going to happen at this time. Let the international laws we can agree on be written and accepted then in a few decades perhaps an actual international body can be formed.
    But I'm not saying to hand over any of those things. I'm just saying that both ideas aren't mutually exclusive. "bringing the ire" would be the same as "being made accountable". We don't need the council for much more than trials that wish to be tried in an international court, not for every thing. Perhaps we just don't have the means for an international court, despite several "trials" that were similar to that kind of thing. The council is just whoever agrees to whatever we agree upon, or the incentive to remain in conversation about things (possibly to meet once every 5 years to bring new things to decide as nations upon). I understand it might not be as far reaching as originally intended.

I agree, at this point it's pretty obvious that no one wants to make a "Grander Coalition", but at least trying to initiate some semblance of order for this moving forward lays the ground work for international proceedure.
    Last edited by TheWombatOfDoom; 2014-07-02 at 01:09 PM.

World Building Projects:
    Magic
    : The Stuff of Sentience | Fate: The Fabric of Physics | Luck: The Basis of Biology

Annotation of the Comic | Magic Compendium of the Comic | Transcription of the Comic

5. - Top - End - #185
    Troll in the Playground

I guess the difference is, agreeing to treat prisoners well or some other such thing but without some defined punishment or pledge to intervene if these rights are breached and relying on honor and such to keep them upheld is something people can agree on. If you form an actual international body for maintaining these things then all of a sudden there's an agency that can decide whether you're meeting the standards and dish out punishment as it sees fit. Most everyone seems to prefer such things to arise organically from mutual agreement and then mutual action taken by those who choose to act. Tupelo's assassination being a key example of this. Something happened a significant portion of the international community didn't like and action was taken to resolve it but it all came from internal proceedings and unofficial talks and agreements. An actual legitimate body that has authority to step in and say the response to so and so shall be this now go and do as I say isn't something the world is willing to accept right now by all accounts of what's been said.

I don't think an international body of any legitimate and organized order can be founded at this point. Setting out some rules and guidelines that nations all agree to enforce themselves? Yes. Opening the lines of communication for the growth of the international community and possibly laying the groundwork for an official international body down the line? Yes. An actual legitimate recognized international body? No, probably not.

Although speaking of the Grand Coalition, I think we might as well dissolve it at the Summit to show a step away from the power blocs that have so long dominated the landscape and a willingness towards being more open to a greater international community.

Spoiler
    Show

6. - Top - End - #186
    Ettin in the Playground

I guess the difference is, agreeing to treat prisoners well or some other such thing but without some defined punishment or pledge to intervene if these rights are breached and relying on honor and such to keep them upheld is something people can agree on. If you form an actual international body for maintaining these things then all of a sudden there's an agency that can decide whether you're meeting the standards and dish out punishment as it sees fit. Most everyone seems to prefer such things to arise organically from mutual agreement and then mutual action taken by those who choose to act. Tupelo's assassination being a key example of this. Something happened a significant portion of the international community didn't like and action was taken to resolve it but it all came from internal proceedings and unofficial talks and agreements. An actual legitimate body that has authority to step in and say the response to so and so shall be this now go and do as I say isn't something the world is willing to accept right now by all accounts of what's been said.

I don't think an international body of any legitimate and organized order can be founded at this point. Setting out some rules and guidelines that nations all agree to enforce themselves? Yes. Opening the lines of communication for the growth of the international community and possibly laying the groundwork for an official international body down the line? Yes. An actual legitimate recognized international body? No, probably not.

Although speaking of the Grand Coalition, I think we might as well dissolve it at the Summit to show a step away from the power blocs that have so long dominated the landscape and a willingness towards being more open to a greater international community.
    On the GC, we talked on that already (albeit privately), and I'm okay with that you leaving. I expect some delegation at some point during the summit to continue our relationship, if that happens. We could time bubble it!

As for Girard, he pretty much went into the speech knowing that it was doomed, but wanted to say his piece about an actual tangible idea rather than a "have at it" mentality. It still begs the question that he originally posed - If the world's not ready for such an international body, then why did anyone show up? (oh right yes, the gift everyone was promised that nobody knows what it is seems legit)
    Last edited by TheWombatOfDoom; 2014-07-02 at 01:36 PM.

World Building Projects:
    Magic

7. - Top - End - #187
    Bugbear in the Playground

I disagree with this. Powerblocks always have been in the international picture, like everywhere in every time. I for one would not break away from the GC because of international reasons. Partly because of OOC reasons, partly because of IC political reasons, partly because of obcure cultural reasons. So I'm against dissolving the GC.
    A swordmaster never backs off, I'll cut you to ribbons with my almighty sabre! CHAOS DANCE!!

Nyllana OotS Avatar by Lord FullBladder, Master of Goblins!

Spoiler
    Show
    Nothing to see here
    My Extended Homebrew Sig!

Currently writing a fantasy novel: The Dawn of Life!
    People willing to provide feedback are appreciated

8. - Top - End - #188
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by WaylanderX View Post
    I disagree with this. Powerblocks always have been in the international picture, like everywhere in every time. I for one would not break away from the GC because of international reasons. Partly because of OOC reasons, partly because of IC political reasons, partly because of obcure cultural reasons. So I'm against dissolving the GC.
    I knew this would pop up again...

Celero hasn't left the Grand Coalition (and re-annexed the original shared port) for obscure cultural reasons.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by bosssmiley View Post
    You altruistic weirdo you!
    Discord: Spacecamp-Logic-Yako
    Former Avatar by Ceika, which I have long since lost a copy of.

9. - Top - End - #189
    Troll in the Playground

Well, if someone would be so kind as to make another post in the Summit thread I'd appreciate it so I can start up some time bubbles with a variety of people.

Spoiler
    Show

10. - Top - End - #190
    Ettin in the Playground

Well, if someone would be so kind as to make another post in the Summit thread I'd appreciate it so I can start up some time bubbles with a variety of people.
    Alright. Let me get on that...

World Building Projects:
    Magic

11. - Top - End - #191
    Ogre in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Quote Originally Posted by Morph Bark View Post
    The two orc armies currently attacking people would be most like the first or third option or a mix. Take your pick!
    Cool, I can work with this.

----

Does it really matter whether the GC dissolves or not? Unless you're all secretly planning on backstabbing one another and only holding back thanks to a hundred-year-old pact telling you not to, a majority of GC members are directly allied to one another in different ways. It'd still be a huge power block of webbed alliances, just one without a public face.

EDIT: Though now that I think about it, doing so would make it harder for people to directly condemn/praise/criticize the group as a whole, so I guess it would be a good move from a PR perspective.
    Last edited by BladeofObliviom; 2014-07-02 at 01:56 PM.

12. - Top - End - #192
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by BladeofObliviom View Post
    Does it really matter whether the GC dissolves or not? Unless you're all secretly planning on backstabbing one another and only holding back thanks to a hundred-year-old pact telling you not to, a majority of GC members are directly allied to one another in different ways. It'd still be a huge power block of webbed alliances, just one without a public face.

EDIT: Though now that I think about it, doing so would make it harder for people to directly condemn/praise/criticize the group as a whole, so I guess it would be a good move from a PR perspective.
    *shifty eyes* A PR campaign? Whatever could you mean by that dear sir stranger? Public Relations are totally silly and unimportant! no one cares about those! It must definitely be the first thing! Yes, yes, the knife back thing! That's it!

Spoiler
    Show

13. - Top - End - #193
    Titan in the Playground

If the world's not ready for such an international body, then why did anyone show up? (oh right yes, the gift everyone was promised that nobody knows what it is seems legit)
    Various reasons, I suspect: an opportunity to develop contacts and trades with other realms, as at any international event; curiosity, since it wasn't clear what the precise purpose was; to have a seat at the table and an opportunity to speak up about the issues even if - especially if - we didn't like what we heard, like Jeriah said; and of course the gift-bribe.

Quote Originally Posted by WaylanderX
    Given that every time the Grand Coalition is mentioned in this thread there seem to be as many different opinions about its nature expressed as there are people talking about it, I do have to wonder what purpose it currently serves, other than to give the people who aren't in it a common point of ire to complain about and perceive as dominating all global affairs.
    League Wiki

Show
    (by Strawberries)
    (by Rain Dragon)

14. - Top - End - #194
    Ogre in the Playground

It still begs the question that he originally posed - If the world's not ready for such an international body, then why did anyone show up? (oh right yes, the gift everyone was promised that nobody knows what it is seems legit)
    Celero PROMISED a gift, so the world KNOWS it is totally legit.
    Spoiler
    Show

15. - Top - End - #195
    Troll in the Playground

You're very paranoid Wombat, I don't think Celero would really gain much if anything at all by doing anything bad to a room full of world leaders. It's probably magnets.

Spoiler
    Show

16. - Top - End - #196
    Ettin in the Playground

You're very paranoid Wombat, I don't think Celero would really gain much if anything at all by doing anything bad to a room full of world leaders. It's probably magnets.
    In a setting where a huge bunch of leaders are at the same place, and a war just having occured, ANYTHING's possible...(Though it's mostly just a jest now. However, it does raise some worry with Girard how things are laid out, despite his trust of Celero)

World Building Projects:
    Magic

17. - Top - End - #197
    Ettin in the Playground

If it makes you feel any better, there are a bunch of Unmarked in the room.

I was old when the pharaohs first mounted
    The jewel-decked throne by the Nile;
    I was old in those epochs uncounted
    When I, and I only, was vile;

Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by apocalypsePast2 View Post
    ...one could possibly refer to you guys' elaborate dance of allies-to-enemies-to-suicide-of-the-universe as some sort of weird art form.

If one were on drugs.
    Quote Originally Posted by VonDoom View Post
    Behold, the mighty slayer of strangely coloured mutant equines! The thwarter of forum woes! The! Dark! DM!

18. - Top - End - #198
    Titan in the Playground

If Logic's anything like me, the more people openly fret about what the gift is going to be and if it's a trick, the higher the chances are getting that it will turn out to be a trick and he'll kill us all.
    League Wiki

Show
    (by Strawberries)
    (by Rain Dragon)

19. - Top - End - #199
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by ImperatorV View Post
    Do NOT give Morph any ideas please.
    Don't worry, the worst that'd happen is you'd need to wait eighty or so years for that particular incarnation to die.

Quote Originally Posted by zabbarot View Post
    These are things that I consider when deciding where to reincarnate : P The place I'm looking at now might cause some political upheaval, still working it out. Ashenia would probably be a dangerous place though... both for the Shahidi Mkuu and Ashenia, should something go wrong.
    The worst that would occur is that the Shahidi Mkuu is imprisoned in an asylum for the course of that incarnation. It's not like the Ashenites would kill them. After all, they don't believe is reincarnation, so anyone spouting nonsense about past lives would be locked up for their own safety.

I'm glad some other nations are looking at the new structure with a potentially appraising eye. I figure its kinda a mashup of the Roman Republic and early US governance at this point, mixed with some monarchial flavor in various areas, and a zest of reincarnating Pope to finish.

I've been under the assumption Morph was going to have the next reincarnation be in Ashenia or Salterri/Priory lands for a while now purely for the lulz and would be shocked beyond all reason if the next Shahidi Mkuu was born anywhere with even an inkling of Radurjic leanings
    I will admit though that I am waiting for it to spectacularly fail. But that's just me.

Well... If I recall, the last appearance by the Blazing Avatar was in Niskovia, at least, one assumes a golden woman accompanied by dancing spirits is the Blazing Avatar... I was rather surprised that only Calorum seemed to do anything about it.

Quote Originally Posted by Logic View Post
    Why do I have a feeling that it's a gift certificate?
    Mauve Shirt, Savannah, Gnomish Wanderer, Cuthalion and Smuchmuch get cookies for making me avatars. (::)
    (::) Current avatar by Smuchmuch (::)

Co Founder of LUTAS - For all your less than useful heroes out there.

My Deviant Art. Careful, it's full of ponies.

Dragons!

20. - Top - End - #200
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Elemental View Post
    Or a really nice thank you card for attending.

Spoiler
    Show

21. - Top - End - #201
    Ogre in the Playground

Good for one back rub, one foot rub, and one fetch you anything.
    Spoiler
    Show

22. - Top - End - #202
    Ettin in the Playground

Good for one back rub, one foot rub, and one fetch you anything.
    Fetch me the moons! I want to put them on my mantelpiece.
    Mauve Shirt, Savannah, Gnomish Wanderer, Cuthalion and Smuchmuch get cookies for making me avatars. (::)

Dragons!

23. - Top - End - #203
    Titan in the Playground

Fetch me the moons! I want to put them on my mantelpiece.
    That's just one fetch you anything. You'll have to coordinate with someone else to get both moons.
    Spoiler: Links to my content threads
    Show
    Aldhaven - May 27, 2010 and ongoing.
    Aldhaven Rules and Homebrew (aldhaven.com)

Character Repository
    Homebrew List
    Quod tibi vis fieri, facias.

24. - Top - End - #204
    Titan in the Playground

Kind of, but not anymore. We'd likely have to figure out a place to do it. I'd suggest Cassia, but its sacred and all. It really wouldn't have to be that big... A city nation or something.
    Diamondhead is a possibility. It's a city that functions as a trade post in Penoccident, the only region in the Salterri Heartlands GK that has no holy lands for the Salterri. It also has the rare sight of foreign temples in it, which isn't really found in the rest of the Heartlands. It was built by the Jeweled Cities, under Opus' reign. Because he still isn't entirely trusted, I really want to get another Grant or Grant-Tremblor as gouvernor of it or something.

It could always be a city-state within your capitol, like Vatican City is to Rome
    Speaking of, does Genivana have anything of the sort? (Also, if we ever come to a Geneva style convention with actual resolutions, lets have it in Genivana just because names.)

Quote Originally Posted by WaylanderX View Post
    Dis truth.

Fact: had I begun as a player, you would have been the first to receive my allegiance, since it's like you have a disease known as honour.

Quote Originally Posted by Aedilred View Post
    If Logic's anything like me, the more people openly fret about what the gift is going to be and if it's a trick, the higher the chances are getting that it will turn out to be a trick and he'll kill us all.
    If Logic were like me (which he is not), the first gift would be be a good gift. The second that comes attached to the first is a time bomb which is not a literal time bomb.
    Homebrewer's Signature | Avatar by Strawberries

25. - Top - End - #205
    Ogre in the Playground

Speaking of, does Genivana have anything of the sort? (Also, if we ever come to a Geneva style convention with actual resolutions, lets have it in Genivana just because names.)
    No it doesn't. The first temple was at the college in Asnaogapura. But it's relocated to Miji Mkuu now. The church does not claim any lands.
    Quote Originally Posted by lt_murgen View Post
    Exploratory expeditions expeditiously expediting exploration would be epicurially equipped.

26. - Top - End - #206
    Ettin in the Playground

Fact: had I begun as a player, you would have been the first to receive my allegiance, since it's like you have a disease known as honour.

If Logic were like me (which he is not), the first gift would be be a good gift. The second that comes attached to the first is a time bomb which is not a literal time bomb.
    I'd prefer a less inflammatory location. I mean... The last time a King of Ashenia went anywhere near Genivana, his heart was burnt while still in his chest. All in all, I'd suggest somewhere neutral in matters of religion.

At least it's not life threatening. Yet.

I have no objections if the Salterri develop a weapon capable of blowing holes in time. I mean, I already have a plan to make death rays, so someone else should probably work on a doomsday weapon to keep the world in balance.

No it doesn't. The first temple was at the college in Asnaogapura. But it's relocated to Miji Mkuu now. The church does not claim any lands.
    Not even the ground their buildings are built on? Well, I know which land in Genivana I want the title deeds to.

Dragons!

27. - Top - End - #207
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by ReaderAt2046 View Post
    Grand Duke Wulfendyne is open to signing this.
    The terms are still under discussion in the Summit thread, but these are the current working ones:
    "Prisoners of war may under no circumstances be compelled to work against their own allegiances.
    "Prisoners of war must be treated with the basic dignity of all sentient creatures. As such, they are to be provided with sufficient food, shelter and clothing as their anatomy requires. Under no circumstances are they to be deprived of such basic necessities.
    "Prisoners of war may only be harmed if in the process of escaping, and then only to prevent a successful escape.
    "Prisoners of war must follow the laws of the land in which they are incarcerated. If said laws are broken, they are to be treated appropriately.
    "Prisoners of war who hold rank, whether civil, aristocratic, martial or ecclesiastical, are to be kept in separate confinement as their status accords.
    "Prisoners of war may be ransomed if both parties are in agreement, but may not be used as hostages.
    "Prisoners of war may not be used as labourers save by their own agreement and only then for suitable payment.
    "Prisoners of war may not be sold into slavery, banished to distant lands or otherwise prevented from returning to their country of origin at the cessation of hostilities.
    "All the above points may be suspended if it is necessary to prevent harm to sentient creatures."
    We're debating point 7 on that list (i.e. labouring) at the moment, but most people seem in agreement on the rest.

We haven't got onto the subject of extraditions, religion, or trade laws yet, of course.

Also, has the Grand Duke finally taken Edwyrd's advice regarding House Sturmvarous?
    Last edited by Aedilred; 2014-07-02 at 08:27 PM.
    League Wiki

Show
    (by Strawberries)
    (by Rain Dragon)

28. - Top - End - #208
    Ogre in the Playground

Not even the ground their buildings are built on? Well, I know which land in Genivana I want the title deeds to.
    Maybe I should get with the proselytizing. You seem to have a populace ripe for conversions :P
    Quote Originally Posted by lt_murgen View Post
    Exploratory expeditions expeditiously expediting exploration would be epicurially equipped.

29. - Top - End - #209
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by TheDarkDM View Post
    "Does Jarrland mean to imply that the nations of the east are not right-thinking?"
    ... I knew that was going to come back to bite me when I said it...

Does anyone at the Summit have a shovel? I've found myself in a bit of a hole
    League Wiki

Show
    (by Strawberries)
    (by Rain Dragon)

30. - Top - End - #210
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Aedilred View Post
    ... I knew that was going to come back to bite me when I said it...

Does anyone at the Summit have a shovel? I've found myself in a bit of a hole
    I too was waiting on that to come up. I really don't know what you're going to say, but I'm looking forward to it

EDIT: Without either calling slavery out as not right or tip toeing very carefully "Well sure, those people ought to be slaves cause it's culturally acceptable but not prisoners because they weren't raised that way!" I really can't think of a way to handle this. That's a mighty impressive hole there.
    Last edited by QuintonBeck; 2014-07-02 at 10:21 PM.

Spoiler
    Show