New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #241
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: The Oni tackles MuvLuv - a let's play of sorts (Update #45 on 25/08)

I'm wondering why couldn't Takeru just say "I can't tell you who I am, Yuuko's orders".

The rest of the update is pretty good though so that's just a minor complaint. Woo, the chibis are back! Chibi Meiya is so cute.

Siela Tempo by the talented Kasanip. Tengu by myself.
    Spoiler
    Show

2. - Top - End - #242
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: The Oni tackles MuvLuv - a let's play of sorts (Update #45 on 25/08)

Quote Originally Posted by Tengu_temp View Post
    I'm wondering why couldn't Takeru just say "I can't tell you who I am, Yuuko's orders".
    Because then Kei would probably investigate, Yuuko would learn about the incident, get pissed off that it's all about a stupid Game Guy, and confiscate it forever.

And probably end up playing it on her spare time.

3. - Top - End - #243
    Banned

And everyone knows that losing your video games is a fate worse than death.

Also, I have to say that it's depressing that they're still using the same puppet the girls remember from when they were kids. Even North Korea and Gaza can manage bigger budgets than that for their tv.

I kinda have to disagree with you about the politics of the setting, though, GloatingSwine. I'd kinda prefer if the different countries were less hilariously hostile to each other. It's just kinda silly and cartoonish and makes the story that much less good at being a story of humanity's last stand against aliens, by making the heroism in the face of everything less inspiring. I still enjoy it, though.
    Last edited by Terraoblivion; 2014-08-28 at 07:05 PM.

4. - Top - End - #244
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Terraoblivion View Post
    Also, I have to say that it's depressing that they're still using the same puppet the girls remember from when they were kids. Even North Korea and Gaza can manage bigger budgets than that for their tv.
    They can't replace Chop-kun, the kids would be heartbroken! And Seta.

(You can pat yourself on the back if you know what I'm talking about.)

Spoiler
    Show

5. - Top - End - #245
    Orc in the Playground

Politics in Muv-Luv is really weird because we see some of the best and the worst of it in the games/anime and not a lot of the motivation and reasoning that goes on in the background.

It's kind of a thing that as far as the US goes the CIA are jerks while the marines are pretty awesome. The in TE the US forces sacrificed a lot of units and lives to try to help when Kyoto fell and when the situation became untenable and they had to withdraw to preserve what forces they had left the Japanese felt betrayed. Don't even get me started on the Russians and how all their craziness went because that is poorly reasoned out and explained even in the TE VN though later games do a better job of it from what I've heard.

As for anime based of of this world, I believe Schwarzesmarken is next which is set in the 1980's in East Germany and should be more anti-BETA. There's a neat TSFiA (TSFs in Action) that is titled Bake the Enemies that happens in that time frame that I kind of hope is linked into it so we get to see TSAs (Tactical Surface Attackers) in action.

edit: Also Seta would be devastated if Chop-kun went away, and having her be that sad just can't be good with what she's capable of now and potentially of in the future...
    Last edited by Ishikar; 2014-08-29 at 12:13 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Winged One View Post
    Actually, Tarrasques are merely an extremely endangered species. They reproduce by spontaniously coming into existance when people piss off the DM.
    CRPG Rules: http://project-apollo.net/text/rpg.html

6. - Top - End - #246

Update #48: November 4th (and the next few days) - PSA
    Spoiler
    Show

This is starting to become a pattern.

That's cute.

But it seems less cute problems are afoot.

Kei doesn't look so good.

Others noticed it too. And what happened here should be perfectly obvious.

Yup. Takeru gets it, no stranger to this unique condition.

Okay, skipping on a meal just to rest after a gaming binge is getting a bit worrying. Let's ask her what's up.

Hopefully she'll listen to Takeru's warnings.

During the evening, the two meet again. Kei seems to be doing alright. Takeru's up to spy the area for interesting hijinks.

The conversation turns to obvious topics, as it happens between two gamers.

Yeah. Surely there is nothing to worry about here, just a light warning will do.

I'm absolutely sure of it, Takeru.

So let's observe people play non-video games for a change.

An interesting offer. But knowing Takeru, he can't even fold a paper airplane without setting it on fire or something.

Ohh? Are you getting jealous that we didn't trigger your version of the current mini-arc, Meiya?

... To-do: View Meiya's version of the current mini-arc.

People aren't too worried. Kei gonna Kei after all. Instead, let's pay attention to Chizuru's inevitable victory.

Origami comes later! Don't be so needy, Mikoto.

Suddenly!

A loud bang startles everyone. Especially Tama, who is literally quivering.

Mikoto is the culprit. She made an origami gun, which is actually able of shooting, or at least producing noise - somehow.

Also, Meiya dropped her shogi piece. From Chizuru's POV, that counts as a move.

Uh oh.

But no comedic violence happens that day. Instead, another one begins.

Ayamine has a problem.

Sleeping-in-class level of a problem.

Hey now, don't try to change the topic to the game immediately.

I take one issue with that - it's not training, it's a game. You're supposed to play it only for fun!

Except Kei doesn't know that, as Takeru told her it's a training device. I'm starting to suspect it's his fault. As usual.

Don't fuel her bad habit, you.

Uh oh. More studying? But isn't today Sunday?

... Wait, yesterday was Sunday. What kind of sick world has classes on Sunday?

Kei's off to somewhere. Well, at least it means she's not playing her vidja, right?

Ha ha, you can be a jerk sometimes, Mikoto.

As for Kei...

There she is. I like video games as much as any other person, but if your eyes hurt - you're really overdoing it.

Takeru, not helping.

Night time Takeru ponders about what monster he has unleashed on the world.

Okay, this is bad.

No, you are not.

Don't run away. Get some sleep already, dammit.

Takeru acts like he doesn't know anything.

Well, the alternative is sharing the military secret of the Game Guy with everyone... and possibly making them addicted as well.

An excellent plan. Surely even someone antisocial like Ayamine will feel compelled to come when receiving an explicit invitation, right?

Nope.

The rest of the gang are really worried about her, now.

Suddenly!

Off to the corridor Meiya goes, Takeru in tow.

Of course she noticed.

She's also sensible and smart enough to realize this is not a world-ending disaster. But something has to be done about it.

Looks like it's time for an intervention.

When did MuvLuv turn into propaganda about dangers of video game addiction?

Plastic bucket. Good for hiding, even more so than a cardboard box.

Anyway, Takeru makes a move.

You are the inattentive one.

Ow. Looks like the plan didn't work.

Being one of the two only gamers in the world must be lonely, huh.

No? What is this about then?

Now now Takeru. You're a character in an 18+ visual novel, as in something that is by default experienced alone. Unless you're reading this LP that is. Don't go around preaching the wonders of multiplayer to us now.

That's a good point though.

Turned into Chop-kun. Truly a terrifying thing to have happened.

Another day, another awakening.

Hello Kei. What are you doing in this room?

Oh.

Gee, you think?

Anyway, let's take a look at the batteries.

Woah there. Newbies really are most eager but come on.

Good question. What do, Takeru? What do?

Ayamine wastes no time getting to the center of the issue.

Takeru decides to say the truth.

Well, not the whole truth.

... Wait, what was that at the end?

That's right. Kei realized what she was doing all along, and was willing to stop the moment it becomes really unhealthy.

Which makes the whole update...

Completely pointless.

Except maybe for providing a lesson in trust - your friends won't turn into game-obsessed junkies the second they get in contact with one.

They may however sleep in class and get in trouble with Sgt Marimo-chan. Just something to consider.

7. - Top - End - #247
    Banned

That was a pretty odd way to end it. Just...What was the point of the whole thing? Except maybe to show the weirdness of consumer electronics in that setting.

8. - Top - End - #248
    Titan in the Playground

The point was to show that video games should be enjoyed in moderation, and preferably in company of others! By the way, remember to buy every 18+ visual novel Age releases.

Spoiler
    Show

9. - Top - End - #249

I checked Meiya's version of the game addiction event. It went more or less the same.

Update #49: November 11th - Sadogashima
    Spoiler
    Show

Another Sunday, and this time it's a day off. No classes or anything.

But it seems Takeru became physically incapable of laziness, and is not happy about it.

She did not. There were no Sumika dreams, either.

Well, that's not ominous or anything.

Hey, it's the cafeteria lady.

Now, you know proper digestion demands people take their time eating.

Also the finding Kasumi problem fixed itself!

... Wait, she can enter the cafeteria/PX/whatever so casually? And Kyozuka knows her?

Look who's there as well.

Kyozuka is powerful.

Even Yuuko must yield. Do you have any embarassing pictures of the troll scientist? Please tell me you do.

Anyway, let's eat.

Be more discreet with your inner narration, Takeru. Look at that pitiful gaze.

With Kyozuka out of the picture, Yuuko decides to feel better by bossing Takeru around.

Picky eater, I see.

Also she doesn't feel bad for Takeru or the general "you", as Yuuko specifies.

But for the cafeteria lady, for having to work with inferior and mysterious ingredients.

Speaking of mysterious ingredients.

Is it soylent green? Should we ask?

Right, enough of talk. Time to actually eat.

Ah, the "children don't like carrots" trope strikes again. It's a Japanese thing I never really understood - apparently Japanese carrots taste bitter or something?

Will Takeru's persuasion achieve anything?

Success! Kasumi game face on.

Huh? This about carrots?

Aha. Also, of course Yuuko is interested in herself first.

You're so humble.

You're so simple, Takeru. The perspective of piloting a giant robot is a carrot that can drag you to hell and back.

Oh? Interesting. Sgt Major Cafeteria Lady has a bit of backstory to share.

And some worldbuilding, too.

Uh oh, tricky question time.

What would we do without you, Yuuko?

A good question. Looks like even in Unlimited, some peoples' lives work themselves out. Well, if they don't die horribly at any rate.

A very Yuuko-like statement. Plz no bully.

Come on Takeru, you know the significance of saying bye-bye rather than "we'll meet again".

... Even if it is cute.

Suddenly!

A piercing, horribly loud noise shrieks through the base.

It's an emergency alarm.

The situation just got really serious.

Sadogashima? Doesn't that sound familiar somehow?

Even one third of a (relatively small) BETA force is enough to wreck humanity's sh*t like that?

Takeru is sweating bullets by now.

He's not the only one.

Oh crap.

This escalated quickly.

He's not even a mecha pilot yet, but GI Takeru is already going to fight the BETA.

And he's freaking out about it.

Really freaking out.

An incoming horde of all-killing aliens gives him a bit of an existential crisis. And realizations of one's mortality.

And then.

Is it time?

As the group arrives back at the briefing room, something bad is happening to Takeru.

Vision... fading... noises... all weird like...

Relief... overwhelming.

Thud.

A long time later...

Takeru wakes up with not the most dignified scream.

Huh? This isn't the briefing room, nor a post-BETA wasteland.

So kind and not yelling at all. Was Marimo taking care of Chop-kun the whole time?

Heh. Silly Takeru.

Yeah. It's only natural to be stressed when evil aliens come to eat you.

But Takeru does not feel any better about it.

Determination is growing. Will it amount to anything?

Time will tell.

10. - Top - End - #250
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by tensai_oni View Post
    He's not even a mecha pilot yet, but GI Takeru is already going to fight the BETA.
    Geez. Is it fair to say he's bitten off more than he can chew?

11. - Top - End - #251
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by kamikasei View Post
    Geez. Is it fair to say he's bitten off more than he can chew?
    *raises finger*

*lowers finger*

You know what, too easy.

Spoiler
    Show

12. - Top - End - #252
    Firbolg in the Playground

Flumph

I kinda have to disagree with you about the politics of the setting, though, GloatingSwine. I'd kinda prefer if the different countries were less hilariously hostile to each other. It's just kinda silly and cartoonish and makes the story that much less good at being a story of humanity's last stand against aliens, by making the heroism in the face of everything less inspiring. I still enjoy it, though.
    Well yeah, it's about as subtly presented as a brick to the face.

But then that's sentence that could be applied to any part of Total Eclipse with almost equal accuracy.

Nevertheless, the tendency of humanity towards bickering and infighting in the face of doom does make for interesting settings. (It's pretty common, A Song of Ice and Fire, Dragon Age, The Witcher (books), Codex Alera, Total Eclipse, etc.)

13. - Top - End - #253
    Banned

Humanity fighting in the face of doom irks me. Not just because it's less inspiring, but because it doesn't accurately reflect how humans react to immediate danger, which is banding together. It works in A Song of Ice and Fire, because the only people who realize the doom is coming are barbarians nobody cares about and the dumping ground for criminals who seem like they're just asking for more funding. But in most cases it just makes everybody look like a complete moron because the apocalypse is clearly imminent.

Also, come on, aren't those lame jokes kinda spoiling things in light of certain other works that have common jokes along those lines? Everybody will start making predictions about them!

14. - Top - End - #254
    Titan in the Playground

Yeah, from what I know about Muv Luv, the global politics in Unlimited and Alternative are really dumb and not very realistic. Everything else looks pretty good though.

Also, come on, aren't those lame jokes kinda spoiling things in light of certain other works that have common jokes along those lines? Everybody will start making predictions about them!
    It's okay, by the time the LP reaches that point in a year or two, everyone will already forget about those!

Spoiler
    Show

15. - Top - End - #255

Not everyone fights with each other in MuvLuv, it's mostly unscrupulous politicians and their lapdogs. Most of the world actually bands together.

Remember that Japan currently has UN forces stationed and there are also Southeastern Asian armies around. They all work together.

16. - Top - End - #256
    Banned

Yes, other than the international politics, and the pilot suits but they're a much smaller part, it's really good and I'm enjoying it quite a bit.

17. - Top - End - #257
    Dwarf in the Playground

That misuse of DEFCON... Seriously? DEFCON 5 IN AN ACTIVE WARZONE? Anything lower than 1 in an active warzone? Heck, no where on the planet should be 2. What, will all military readiness wait until we see the whites of whatever passes for the BETA's eyes? Apart from that silliness, this is pretty good. I mean, my VN experience is fairly limited, so I don't have much of a frame of comparison, especially in this genre (either of them).

On an unrelated note, when I was a child I refused to eat carrots. One time I ate so many I made myself slightly orange, and then somehow got it in my head I was allergic to them. Probably not the case here though.
    We are the Blorg. You will be befriended. Resistance is impolite.

18. - Top - End - #258
    Banned

They might have changed the scale to be actually useful in the circumstances.

19. - Top - End - #259
    Titan in the Playground

At least MuvLuv knows that higher DEFCON numbers mean less danger, not more.

Spoiler
    Show

20. - Top - End - #260
    Orc in the Playground

I'm pretty sure they adjusted things accordingly for this setting because DEFCON 2 does not mean infantry units fully equipped and waiting to hop in transports and roll out (real world scale is armed forces ready to engage within 6 HOURS).

Also we see one of the most notable early Takeru freak outs (we'll see PLENTY more before this is over), Yuuko proves an old military addage that everyone is subservient to supply clerks in one manner or another, and we see the BETA smash face against humanity to get an idea of just HOW desperate this situation is (and that's with water separating the two, we all saw how the spread went for Europe).

Side Note: Yes Tengu it would have been too easy, too spoileriffic, and so terrible.
    Actually, Tarrasques are merely an extremely endangered species. They reproduce by spontaniously coming into existance when people piss off the DM.

21. - Top - End - #261

This Let's Play started over 2 months ago. Since then, the thread grew with over 250 posts and almost 10 000 views. Thanks for staying with me for so long, everyone. I hope you're having fun watching me go through MuvLuv as much as I do, well, actually going through it.

Why do I say all of this?

Because it's the 50th update! Time for a...

THREE PARTER SUPER AMAZING ISLAND ADVENTURE SPECIAL

Update #50 part 1: November 16th-18th
    Spoiler
    Show

Go Takeru, go!

The episode title tries to sneak its way in the corner. Can you read it?

Ohh? You noticed, Sgt Marimo-chan!

Reward? Hooray! What is it?

A vacation? Awesome.

Wait.

She is totally talking about the combat preparation test, isn't she?

She is.

A game that starts with you deploying in a stealth submarine?

Sorry, doesn't ring a bell.

Doesn't. Ring. A bell.

Alright. No time to waste - double time! Everyone is waiting impatiently in the rendezvous point, I'm sure.

And by everyone I mean Yuuko.

Yuuko in a swimsuit.

Damn.

I have conflicting feelings right now.

Takeru received equipment: low quality belt x1, fear of death x1.

You're a good person Mikoto. But watch out, at this rate you'll have to carry Takeru through the whole evaluation.

Ah, Marimo is there too. Good thing there's at least ONE responsible adult around.

Time for a briefing.

Objectives, get. Timer, get. Let's do this!

Takeru begins by failing.

So that's how it works, huh...

I mean! You played video games Takeru, something small like this shouldn't be a problem for you, geez.

Look Takeru, even you are not as dumb as you think.

The image of a thoughtful main character is so OOC, Mikoto is immediately worried.

But it's no time to ponder Takeru's conflicting feelings. It is time to choose the team ups.

Harsh.

Hmm, seems like even Mikoto realizes Takeru doesn't feel too comfortable around her. For stupid dumb reasons, but still.

But Takeru promises to get over it for the sake of the mission. Then it's set.

Ouch.

What would we do without you, Miki?

I'll be laughing so hard if the island actually turns out to be a white featureless map-like plain.

Harshness continues.

Aha, so there is an additional hidden objective. It's just like Yuuko, not to tell you anything beyond what you need to know.

And skipping on some stuff you have to know, too.

Game face!

So in the end, MuvLuv gave me what I asked for since Extra.

A Takeru and Mikoto adventure on a tropical island.

What is this about all out of sudden?!

Sonic triggers? Are you serious?

... She actually is serious.

Takeru ponders the surroundings' wasted potential. Well, the island has at least one tourist at the moment, at least. She's at the beach.

And there he goes with the conflicted feelings again. I mean come on, you're only going to be alone with Mikoto for a while. Control your emotions!

Most obvious choice in the VN so far.

Okay, this island really is full of traps.

Oh come on.

This is going to be a recurring theme, won't it.

Not to spoilt anything to you Takeru, but Extra's Mikoto was obviously a girl too. Get over it.

The walkabout continues in beautiful conditions.

What did you notice this time, Takeru?

The destination, already? That was fast.

Geh.

Well, the map is pretty much blank.

Listen to Mikoto. She knows what she's talking about.

The next step after denial - shyness.

Don't worry Mikoto, Takeru isn't dead.

Huh?

Uuuh...

Ah, so that's what it was about. Also stop blabbering Takeru, you'll trigger a sonic mine.

Typical Mikoto, really.

Welcome to MREs, Unlimited edition.

It stands for Meal Rejected by the Enemy. Even BETA won't eat those.

Here's the objective! Reached on the 2nd day already? Still fast.

Ah, right. Intel, intel...

Car spotted. It's awesome and offscreen.

Sheet cover get. As cool as it'd be to just drive through the jungle with Mikoto, we'll have to do without.

Gas might be handy.

But there's no way to carry it without tactical or actual suicide.

Oh well.

Let's blow this popsicle stand.

Popsicle stand blown.

The operation is progressing well so far. Takeru almost got killed only what, twice?

Something tells me the count won't end on that.

Yeah. There we go again.

The traps only get trickier and trickier in time.

Okay, seeing Mikoto like this? That's new.

Stop acting coy, what is it already?

Uh oh. Looks like the difficulty just spiked.

You remain awfully positive about this. Or maybe you just don't want Takeru to feel bad?

Uh oh. Again.

Snake? SNAAAAAKE!

The snake is quickly dealt with.

But Takeru was bitten.

His vision is getting all wobbly.

Mikoto won't let him die.

She sucks out the venom from the wound.

Which happens to be located on the leg. The inner thigh, to be specific.

... Should I be showing that? It feels inappropriate somehow.

Okay, Takeru still lives. The venom didn't off him yet.

But his overthinking might be the doom of him.

Or maybe Mikoto finally was fed up and left him alone. Or decided to get help, hoping Takeru will survive in the meantime somehow. Or...

What's that in the bushes?

Ah. It's Mikoto. Hello.

I'm sorry Takeru ever doubted you.

Curry powder, it makes everything edible if added in sufficient quantities.

You're in good hands Takeru. Bro and sis 4 lyfe.

If Mikoto gets poisoned too, that'll be the end of both of them.

Also, you know what? Screw it.

This is how it looked like. Mikoto obviously faces one side and Takeru's manparts are way over on the other. Get your mind out of the gutter.

... This includes you too, Takeru.

Tobacco?

Aha. Snakes, bugs, pretty much everything natural hates the smell of tobacco. Though on second thought I'm not so sure, one Snake who was referenced multiple times during this update smoked cigs all the time.

Takeru's getting really frustrated with his own accident-prone self.

Frustrated - and cold. Does this mean the venom is still coursing through his veins?

Don't die, you idiot!

Mikoto, what are you trying to do?

Warm Takeru up with her own body, of course. Innocently.

Mind. Out of the gutter. Now.

Of course Takeru feels as usual about it. Only, you know. Even more so.

This doesn't escape Mikoto's attention.

Will such a half-assed explanation really suffice?

Well, for now it's time to rest.

That's good.

And that's... a thing. That happens.

Thank you Takeru. That's reassuring.

Also at the moment you're being more mature than the writers.

Part one ends here, don't miss parts two and three!

22. - Top - End - #262

Update #50 part 2: November 19th-20th
    Spoiler
    Show

Takeru isn't healthy yet. He isn't healthy at all.

A reminder - last night Takeru popped a boner and now they're both embarassed about it.

And are trying to pretend it never happened.

It's kinda cute.

More bounty of nature, huh. Eat, eat, eat!

Takeru's not too happy about the Metal Gear Solid 3 lifestyle. Also Mikoto probably thinks he's losing his mind or something.

By the way, MuvLuv is older than MGS3.

Yes, share the food. Do it.

Yesss. Best friends forever.

Takeru's trying to say something?

Ha ha, you fool. Your lack of social graces is the stuff of legends.

Mikoto's okay with this, though. Somehow.

Damn Takeru, filter your words before they exit your mouth.

On the other hand, same applies to Mikoto.

Her mind drifts in weird directions.

Very weird. But not surprising. That's just Mikoto for you.

Takeru's reaction is to faint.

Well, at least he can walk now.

Still, this is pretty bad.

Understatement.

Maybe they really should just give up.

Don't lose that self-awareness.

Takeru's sick of being dead weight.

And ponders why he's even here.

Yeah, it kinda is.

The amount of inner monologuing is making Mikoto worried.

Looks like Takeru decided not to give up.

Time to do this even if it kills him!

Though not dying would be okay too.

Risking your life for the sake of the mission is what a soldier does, right?

Yeah, I agree.

Still, now that it's done, let's see the mission to the end, alright?

But first, rest.

This again?

Takeru ponders the peculiarities of this situation while Mikoto already fell asleep.

Just what kind of dreams are you having, Mikoto?

Takeru's bratty meat-eating attitude is picking up. That means he's getting better, obviously.

Yes, nevermind that. Instead, it's time for textless image-only storytime.

Well.

At least someone is having fun.

Brain damage indeed.

Silly Takeru. No longer being fired up but rather putting silent goals in front of yourself - that is a step forward, not

back.

Anyway, time to eat.

Delicious.

Could it be?

Yes!

Aren't you happy to see everyone back again, Takeru?

Everyone - who immediately start suspecting that something was afoot.

Come on guys, it was all innocent! Honest.

Anyway, let's see what everyone was up to.

Evac point location, check. The code used was so simple, even Takeru could be able to understand it.

Which of course means the code in question is fictional. Drat.

Meiya found a rope. Tama found a friggin' sniper rifle. Takeru found a sheet.

I sense a small disparity here.

Harsh, harsh. But true. What's with that face, Tama?

Now there's a ravine to take care of.

This is no problem for someone like Ayamine.

So plot conspires to increase the difficulty.

She made it look so easy. Kei strong. Now...

Don't fall off the rope, Takeru!

I mean it.

Huh, so he actually made it. But there's another trouble to take care of now.

Chizuru wants to sacrifice the rifle's only bullet to retrieve the rope.

Meiya disagrees.

Looks like there won't be a full agreement here.

Oh you.

Ah. So Kei does have a good point under the facade of trolling.

Aww, so you do care about her after all.

... Huh?

This is a very important decision to make!

Well, knowing Yuuko she'll try dropping a TSF on their heads or something like that. Better be prepared.

Takeru wasn't even a tiebreaker here. But he secured the majority vote with a decent(ish?) argument.

Time to leave the rope behind then. Kei easily hoists the giant rifle - move out, you all!

There's still one more part to go!
    Last edited by tensai_oni; 2014-09-06 at 05:27 PM.

23. - Top - End - #263

Update #50 part 3: November 21st-22nd
    Spoiler
    Show

The super amazing island adventure is almost over.

Chizuru ensures Takeru's motivation doesn't run out yet.

And, there we go.

Come on Meiya, look at this avatar of maturity and responsibility right in front of you. You had nothing to worry about.

Tama has flares. Here's your chance to do something cool, Takeru.

The only part where he's having fun.

What.

Eeeeeh?!

Of course, it'd be too easy.

This was Yuuko's plan all along, wasn't it?

Nobody is shouting and swearing loudly so yes. I'd say they are indeed taking this pretty well.

You got a point there.

Yeah, you got really lucky Takeru. Or maybe Yuuko was merciful and programmed the guns not to hit anyone?

Yeah, you got really lucky Takeru.

The canteen was lost in action?

Located down below.

Well then, what to do?

Don't blindly charge in, Takeru. At least tell me you have a plan or something.

Okay, he has a plan.

Yes, you hide and Takeru will be right with you and definitely not torn to shreds by bullet fire. Ha ha ha...

Huh. Could it be the placement shoots at smoke flares and not just idiots walking around? Also, what's this?

A boat.

And a Mikoto.

Looks like Takeru's clumsiness was good for something just this one time.

Eh?

Aaah! So the fuel was there on purpose!

Oh yeah, that's right. Far weaker - or dead.

Or you could just roll the barrel of gas in front of you, crushing jungle wildlife like a steamroller. It'd probably fail spectacularly - but think of the sights!

A radome?

Yes, thanks Takeru. Actually I know already but for the sake of everyone...

And now you know.

And knowing is half the... I made this joke already? Ah okay.

Chizuru isn't in mood for your bull****, Takeru.

Looks like the rifle's finally good for something.

Sounds like a plan.

Okay then, time for pink cat sniping. But... everyone is hiding? Why?

One buwwet left. Wait, there was only one in the first place.

And...

Fire!

Shot successful! Hopefully that means the guns are not a problem anymore.

Yeah, you don't say.

New day.

New problems.

The sniper rifle took care of yesterday's problem, but because of that the rope is absent from helping with today's.

Okay, that's quite a detour.

Will you really be alright? In case anyone forgot - it's the last day!

This is risky. Don't let Takeru step on a mine or anything.

Suddenly, a different topic springs up.

To which everyone reacts strangely.

What did Chop-kun do this time?

Run! Run! You can make it!

Takeru made it.

Hello Marimo.

Of course!

Why would GI Takeru ever fail? Except for all the other times that is.

And so the evaluation ends, on a happy note.

Except...

There's one more thing to take care of.

You can't go to a tropical island without a beach episode. Scene. Whatever.

So that's what everyone meant earlier. Poor unprepared Takeru - never go to a combat evaluation mission without a swimsuit! Now you're just a tiny figure sitting despondently in the background.

It looks like all the worrying about snake venom and dying was for nothing, too.

Wait, a cold? I thought (according to the Japanese at least) fools cannot catch those.

Well, at least Takeru became slightly less of an immature idiot, now. Character development!

So into the watery depths he goes.

VN over, Takeru's dead.

He drowned.

This is the last update.

Just kidding. See you next time.

24. - Top - End - #264
    Banned

Looks like all soldiers in MuvLuv verse are expected to be special forces. Because I'm pretty sure this is way beyond what random infantry soldiers get asked to do as part of their training, not the least because it also seems like it'd be insanely expensive to set up for that few people.

25. - Top - End - #265

Don't quote me on this, but Eishi are supposed to be special forces pretty much. TSF pilots are a cut above a normal grunt with a gun.

26. - Top - End - #266
    Orc in the Playground

The comprehensive skill exams are run for each team of potential pilots. There are more people than machines and those machines are critical to KEEPING it that way. The girls have also referenced taking the exam twice and the 2nd squad of the 207th having passed it before.

As for Eishi being a cut above they are expected to operate in elements and independent teams during battle (command structure does a bit of a weird inversion during many BETA engagements) and thus the whole set of skills is needed. Also of note (even though we never see it) is that TSF cockpits in addition to being escape pods also contain an exoskeleton to allow the Pilot to operate at enhanced capabilities for a time after having to abandon their unit.

Anyhow good to see the Combat Exam passed and much craziness completed. Now for even more craziness as Takeru finally get's to play mecha pilot in real life. I'm sure he'll fail entertainingly enough at that as well.

27. - Top - End - #267

Update #51: November 23rd - preparation
    Spoiler
    Show

Takeru has difficulty getting up. After yesterday? No big surprise. If anything, it's surprising he can get up at all.

Hey Kasumi. We meet again.

A typical Kasumi interaction.

And then Takeru distracts her on the way out.

The results are painful and also kinda adorable.

The accusation is clearly visible in Kasumi's gaze.

We don't need to populate the world with more Takeru noise creatures, thank you. One Hanyuu is enough.

Marimo has good news. You know what that means, right Takeru?

Of course he does.

The TSFs will arrive Soon (TM), in the meantime Takeru and friends can train in the simulators.

Looks like Takeru has new video games to spend all day playing now.

Perceptive as always, Meiya.

Storytime with Marimo. This time it's about military history and doctrine.

BETA use swarm tactics and pew-pew-pew everything out of the sky.

Hey, Muv-Luv knows how actual real life lasers work like. None of those zap-zap beams you can dodge, just an invisible ray of (in BETA's case) instant death.

So, long story short, TSFs were designed because nothing else worked well.

Pretty cool.

Gekishin is the thing Takeru saw crashed against Sumika's house. We have AMERICA to thank for that.

Okay, correction.

It's not that "nothing else works well". Rather, the war against BETA had an empty niche that needed filling, and that's where TSFs step in. Other weapons are still there, and (as long as they're not aircraft or long range missiles) are still decently effective.

That's right, this is a mecha setting where mecha aren't the end to all solution. We have combined arms, baby!

Also I can't help but notice, TSFs seem to be named after RL fighter jets. At least American ones.

I wonder did the writer do the research here, or is it just talking out of your ass and pretending really well. Sounds pretty plausible either way.

60s? Wasn't it 70-something. Script or translation error?

Here comes that term again.

However it was hard to just tell someone to move from a fighter jet into a giant robot. Yeah.

Pretty self-explanatory. I link not for what Marimo is saying, but for the schematics. Maybe someone will find them interesting. What, it's just me? Okay.

That's a harsh estimate.

But the reality was even harsher.

This is the first time infamous "eight minutes of death" spring up.

That's heavy, isn't it. One minute Unlimited has SHENANIGANS, the other you're reminded that 5/6th of the world's population is dead.

Marimo has a little quiz for everyone.

How about "luck" or "fate"? If it wasn't for that, Takeru wouldn't be in Unlimited at all!

Not an option.

Either way, Instructor Marimo-chan wants them to take it all seriously.

Takeru takes it very seriously.

Varying stages of amusement.

Don't be a prick Takeru. Giant robots is something all genders can enjoy.

Takeru is still treated as some kind of yappy dog or other pet, I see. He may be taking this seriously or not, but others don't take HIM very seriously.

... Not that I can blame them.

How mature.

Extremely mature.

Takeru's off to find more people to be game grumps with.

Kasumi is hanging around the creepy room with the creepy brain. As usual.

Feel the emotion.

You're really pushing the limits of making people be happy for you, Takeru.

Even someone as socially inept as Kasumi can read his mood. Sometimes.

... Eerily well, even.

Takeru brushed off the ambient creepiness in pursue of a new topic.

He wants Kasumi to socialize through playing games? Or maybe, as a fellow gamer himself, he realizes how boring it must be to sit around whole day and do nothing. Either way that's nice.

Not exactly something you do with several people, but it'll do. Takeru's off to procure some string.

Ah, except it's too late. Tomorrow it is then.

That was a pleasant encounter.

It's about to turn less pleasant.

Gehs live in southern Africa. Their large herds feast on tree leaves and...

That's what they call him. Serious Takeru.

Geh.

It's almost as if people could hear your thoughts, Takeru.

Or rather, you're not exactly good at hiding emotions so someone as people-savvy as Yuuko can read you like an open book.

28. - Top - End - #268
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by tensai_oni View Post
    Spoiler
    Show

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xczDd2_X0DI

Also, some time ago I noticed something I can't unsee now: by anime standards, MuvLuv characters have very prominent ears. Maybe I'm just weird.

Spoiler
    Show

29. - Top - End - #269
    Dwarf in the Playground

Uh, this might be a weird request, but could you (The Oni) update the thread title? It just bothers me. Plus it's nice to see when you've updated.
    We are the Blorg. You will be befriended. Resistance is impolite.

30. - Top - End - #270
    Banned

Thread above a certain age can't have their title edited. That's why it's stuck.