New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 12 of 46 FirstFirst ... 234567891011121314151617181920212237 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #331
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: Let's Read A Song of Ice and Fire

Spoiler
    Show
    I don't ever remember any "Pate the Alchemist" showing up in A Feast For Crows. Can someone remind me of him?
    I've started streaming again.

78% of DM's started their first campaign in a tavern. If you're one of the 22% that didn't, copy and paste this into your signature.

I started my first campaign outside of an abandoned mine, just as soon as a meteor storm from the moon hits.

2. - Top - End - #332
    Ogre in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    He's the prologue POV character. A less than successful novice Maester, his death is implied rather than shown, an assumption based on Jaqen's involvement and fitting the pattern of the other prologues.

3. - Top - End - #333
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Legato Endless View Post
    Spoiler
    Show
    He's the prologue POV character. A less than successful novice Maester, his death is implied rather than shown, an assumption based on Jaqen's involvement and fitting the pattern of the other prologues.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Ok, I vaguely remember it. I can't double check though because I've loaned all five of the books to my girlfriend, who's currently reading through book 1. I should get back to her and see where she's at...

78% of DM's started their first campaign in a tavern. If you're one of the 22% that didn't, copy and paste this into your signature.

I started my first campaign outside of an abandoned mine, just as soon as a meteor storm from the moon hits.

4. - Top - End - #334
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Killer Angel View Post
    I just wonder how was possible that a man like Jaqen H'ghar, ended in prison...
    Spoiler
    Show
    I can think of several. Was he imprisoned for something he actually did? Probably not considering his abilities. Could he have been blamed for something someone else did? Easily enough. Or he was just in the wrong place at the wrong time? None of the abilities we've seen would help you if someone with a group of guards just decides to imprison everyone in the Tavern you happened to be getting a drink at. Considering the dungeon Yoren pulled him out of, it's probably a bit more than that, but even a Faceless Man can get tripped up by bad circumstances.
    Spoiler
    Show
    There's also the possibility that he tried to go up against a knight of the Kingsguard in an open fight armed only with a lead-core wooden training rapier. (I don't think I entirely buy the "Syrio is Jaqen" theory, myself, but the more I think about it the less implausible it seems. At this point I give it maybe a 25% chance to be true.)

5. - Top - End - #335
    Ettin in the Playground

Midterm grading is nearly done. Hoping to have an update over the weekend so I can finally begin reading again.
    Linguist and Invoker of Orcus of the Rudisplorker's Guild
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    Fantasy literature is ONLY worthwhile for what it can tell us about the real world; everything else is petty escapism.
    No author should have to take the time to say, "This little girl ISN'T evil, folks!" in order for the reader to understand that. It should be assumed that no first graders are irredeemably Evil unless the text tells you they are.

6. - Top - End - #336
    Ogre in the Playground

Grade papers the way my old prof did. Stand at the top of a flight of stairs and throw the whole stack of them down. Whichever one lands the furthest away gets an A and the rest get graded according to how they did in comparison.

Saves time better devoted to reading.
    It doesn't matter what game you're playing as long as you're having fun.

7. - Top - End - #337
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Malimar View Post
    Spoiler
    Show
    There's also the possibility that he tried to go up against a knight of the Kingsguard in an open fight armed only with a lead-core wooden training rapier. (I don't think I entirely buy the "Syrio is Jaqen" theory, myself, but the more I think about it the less implausible it seems. At this point I give it maybe a 25% chance to be true.)
    Spoiler
    Show
    It's certainly possible, but I would be fairly surprised if it were the case. There's no real evidence to support it. The only notable factors shared by the two is a catchphrase, which we know is cultural rather than individual, and being mentors to Arya. (And being badass, but I don't think that counts.) The latter is growing increasingly less notable as Arya continues her journey and acquires new figures who use her as she uses them to survive. I also don't know why he would have been spared. Meryn has no reason to leave the man who humiliated him alive. And considering anyone who was associated with the Starks was being killed then, it seems fairly strange. It also just feels unnecessary. Dying as he did must have been a dream come true for Syrio. It perfectly fits with his short but sweet presence in the narrative.
    Last edited by Legato Endless; 2014-10-22 at 09:20 AM.

8. - Top - End - #338
    Titan in the Playground

*checks forum rules on thread necromancy. Phew, in the clear still*

So... is this dead? Now, please don't take this the wrong way - I have absolutely no intentions of hasting you, and know all too well that life and duties get in the way, so I fully understand if you just can't find the time for it now or have decided to abandon it entirely - I'm not one to feel entitled when it comes to somebody else's work - but I was really, really enjoying this, so, if it's no bother, I'd like to know whether there is any hope for this continuing at some point in the future - and if it be half a year from now, so be it - or whether this is truly dead, and I should stop hoping for more?
    LGBTitP Supporter
    In a Wonderland they lie, Dreaming as the days go by, Dreaming as the summers die - Ever drifting down the stream - Lingering in the golden gleam - Life, what is it, but a dream?
    - Lewis Carroll

9. - Top - End - #339
    Barbarian in the Playground

Zombie

Quote Originally Posted by Winterwind View Post

So... is this dead? Now, please don't take this the wrong way - I have absolutely no intentions of hasting you, and know all too well that life and duties get in the way, so I fully understand if you just can't find the time for it now or have decided to abandon it entirely - I'm not one to feel entitled when it comes to somebody else's work - but I was really, really enjoying this, so, if it's no bother, I'd like to know whether there is any hope for this continuing at some point in the future - and if it be half a year from now, so be it - or whether this is truly dead, and I should stop hoping for more?
    As readers of ASOIAF, it's ok if it takes forever. We are used to waiting, after all. :)

10. - Top - End - #340
    Troll in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    It's certainly possible, but I would be fairly surprised if it were the case. There's no real evidence to support it. The only notable factors shared by the two is a catchphrase, which we know is cultural rather than individual, and being mentors to Arya. (And being badass, but I don't think that counts.) The latter is growing increasingly less notable as Arya continues her journey and acquires new figures who use her as she uses them to survive. I also don't know why he would have been spared. Meryn has no reason to leave the man who humiliated him alive. And considering anyone who was associated with the Starks was being killed then, it seems fairly strange. It also just feels unnecessary. Dying as he did must have been a dream come true for Syrio. It perfectly fits with his short but sweet presence in the narrative.
    Spoiler
    Show
    I would also be surprised. I would be far less surprised to learn that the Kindly Man is Jaqen.
    Homebrew PrC: The Performance Artist

11. - Top - End - #341
    Barbarian in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by SowZ View Post
    Spoiler
    Show
    I would also be surprised. I would be far less surprised to learn that the Kindly Man is Jaqen.
    Spoiler
    Show
    The problem with that is that then, Jaqen can't be the alchemist.

12. - Top - End - #342
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Winterwind View Post

Not dead, just sleepy. It's been crunch time since midterms with my own work and my students'.
    Fantasy literature is ONLY worthwhile for what it can tell us about the real world; everything else is petty escapism.
    No author should have to take the time to say, "This little girl ISN'T evil, folks!" in order for the reader to understand that. It should be assumed that no first graders are irredeemably Evil unless the text tells you they are.

13. - Top - End - #343
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Tanar Aerdoth View Post
    Spoiler
    Show
    The problem with that is that then, Jaqen can't be the alchemist.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Oh, sure. That is by far the likeliest scenario. The book tries hard to make you conclude that. I don't actually think H'ghar is the Kindly Man. I just see no reason to think he is Syrio. What possible motivation would a Faceless Man have to pretend to be the first sword of Braavos? To kill someone, presumably. So why would he accept a job training some random noble in Westeros? Well, maybe he had someone in the Red Keep to kill and just got lucky with Ned's commission. Except no one died and Syrio had more than enough time to kill someone.

It also seems silly that the best fencer in the world wouldn't be a Braavosi who lives and breaths swordplay/dueling. Faceless Men are awesome, but they aren't the best at every single skill through sheer willpower. And narratively it seems pointless.

14. - Top - End - #344
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by SaintRidley View Post
    Not dead, just sleepy. It's been crunch time since midterms with my own work and my students'.
    Alright, thank you so much for letting us know!

As Brewdude said, ASoIaF readers are used to waiting; I'll most gladly wait for this, too, regardless of how long it takes.
    LGBTitP Supporter
    In a Wonderland they lie, Dreaming as the days go by, Dreaming as the summers die - Ever drifting down the stream - Lingering in the golden gleam - Life, what is it, but a dream?
    - Lewis Carroll

15. - Top - End - #345
    Titan in the Playground

It's coming. Like win--

*crushed to death by the horde crying "ENOUGH! ENOUGH!"*
    Ludicrus Gaming: on games and story
    Quote Originally Posted by Saph
    Unless everyone's been lying to me and the next bunch of episodes are The Great Divide II, The Great Divide III, Return to the Great Divide, and Bride of the Great Divide, in which case I hate you all and I'm never touching Avatar again.

16. - Top - End - #346
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by CarpeGuitarrem View Post
    It's coming. Like win--

*crushed to death by the horde crying "ENOUGH! ENOUGH!"*
    It's coming, everywhere. XXX NC-17

17. - Top - End - #347
    Ettin in the Playground

I will never be able to think of snow as something nonsexual ever again. Thanks.

Also:

Let’s Read: A Song of Ice and Fire:
    A Clash of Kings
    part six! ~500-~600!
    The semester is over. Holy crap it was terrible. I do not wish to speak of it. Unfortunately, I read this section not long after my last update, so I haven’t looked at it in a long time. So this is going to be a short update based on a quick skim over it so I can refamiliarize myself with the present goings-on. I will, however, be able to give a much fuller update on the next section, ideally within a few days of today, as I’m on break now between the semesters and I need recovery time.

Jon and Ghost find a black cloak and dragonglass. They’re getting closer to finding out what’s up with this gathering of Wildings, too.

Bran has the green sight, but he’s no good at metaphors. Should have been an English major, Bran. Then you wouldn’t have any issues understanding “It is the sea that comes.” At least minor in it. And the Walders continue to suck.

Tyrion’s finding that the world just hands him opportunities. Now he has an option to replace Sansa as Joffrey’s betrothed. Littlefinger’s going to be the envoy, though, and he’s justifiably uncertain of what that’s about. And when Myrcella gets shipped off, we get another dose of Sansa’s enduring faith in the power of story when she talks of Aemon the Dragonknight’s tears. Bronn’s thoughts that perhaps Tommen would make a better king are very, very justified.

Theon’s still sore about harrying the coast. Not too much here, except he’s clearly setting his sights on violating his father’s orders and taking Winterfell directly.

Arya gets her second wish, and it’s Weese. She learned a major lesson here about knowing your true enemies. The rumors she hears about Robb, though, are interesting. Robb’s connection to Grey Wind is not unlike the connection between the other direwolves and their boys – if Bran and Rickon’s connection is so strong they appear to have a magical connection, I wonder if there’s one for Jon and Robb? Which only brings me back to wondering when Nymeria will crop back up.

Catelyn sees Ned’s bones and Edmure plans a battle. She also convinces Brienne to join Robb’s cause. Things about to get interesting. Brienne’s words to Catelyn about “woman’s courage” also bring to mind the kind of access medieval women had to power. I’ll probably talk more about that when I’ve finished the book – it seems to be a big part of the whole book.

Dany seems to be making very slow progress in her quest to gain any kind of access to Westeros. The firemage is interesting, and Xaro seems to be a dead end false friend. It’s going to be a while before she gets across the sea.

The bread riots in King’s Landing are just going to lead to something bigger. Some deaths, Joffrey getting justly shoved and kicked by Tyrion, the least of what I’ve been wanting. And Cersei backing up Tyrion has been a strange thing.

Things of importance:
    * Jon found a bit of black cloak. Ben’s? Is Ben still, beyond all probability, alive?
    * Weese was next. But Arya had better be careful and deliberate next time.
    * King’s Landing is going to go up like a pile of… well, a pile of wildfire. Good job, Tyrion.
    * Theon’s interested in the biggest glory of all – taking Winterfell.

Predictions pulled out of my ass:
    * Theon’s gloryseeking is going to get his ass handed to him at some point.
    * King’s Landing will probably cease to be an actual place at some point soon. It’s not going to make it.

18. - Top - End - #348
    Troll in the Playground

* Theon’s gloryseeking is going to get his ass handed to him at some point.
    Biting my tongue so hard right now.

19. - Top - End - #349
    Titan in the Playground

Biting my tongue so hard right now.
    Spoiler: Much, much later
    Show
    I mean, it's not exactly his ass that gets handed to him...
    Ludicrus Gaming: on games and story
    Quote Originally Posted by Saph
    Unless everyone's been lying to me and the next bunch of episodes are The Great Divide II, The Great Divide III, Return to the Great Divide, and Bride of the Great Divide, in which case I hate you all and I'm never touching Avatar again.

20. - Top - End - #350
    Ettin in the Playground

Things of importance:
    * Jon found a bit of black cloak. Ben’s? Is Ben still, beyond all probability, alive?
    Ben? Ben Kenobi?

21. - Top - End - #351
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by TechnOkami View Post
    Ben? Ben Kenobi?
    Benjen Stark. First Ranger at the wall.
    Last edited by SowZ; 2014-12-21 at 03:18 AM.

22. - Top - End - #352
    Ettin in the Playground

Benjen Stark. First Ranger at the wall.
    I'm fully aware.

23. - Top - End - #353
    Titan in the Playground

I'm glad to see you back on track again!
    Do I contradict myself?
    Very well then I contradict myself. I am large, I contain multitudes. (W.Whitman)

Things that increase my self esteem:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaiyanwang View Post
    Great analysis KA. I second all things you said
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeYounger View Post
    Great analysis KA, I second everything you said here.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryu_Bonkosi View Post
    If I have a player using Paladin in the future I will direct them to this. Good job.
    Quote Originally Posted by grimbold View Post
    THIS is proof that KA is amazing
    Quote Originally Posted by PairO'Dice Lost View Post
    Killer Angel, you have an excellent taste in books
    Quote Originally Posted by Eldan View Post
    Historical zombies is a fantastic idea.

24. - Top - End - #354
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by CarpeGuitarrem View Post
    Spoiler: Much, much later
    Show
    I mean, it's not exactly his ass that gets handed to him...
    Spoiler
    Show
    Well, pretty much everyone sees Theon's downfall coming. It's the sheer extent to which he suffers that's surprising.

25. - Top - End - #355
    Ettin in the Playground

I've had a grand realization relating to Jaqen H'ghar that I'll go into in the next update. I promise it's not going to be an expected one, too. It's more relevant to my scholarly interests than anything, and has actually helped me in terms of a project.

26. - Top - End - #356
    Troll in the Playground

I'm fully aware.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Sure, haha. He's a minor enough character that forgetting his name amidst five books worth of characters would be entirely within reason, so I wasn't sure.

27. - Top - End - #357
    Ettin in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    Sure, haha. He's a minor enough character that forgetting his name amidst five books worth of characters would be entirely within reason, so I wasn't sure.
    Spoiler
    Show
    I mean personally I don't think so, because obe of my pet theories is that coldhands mc mooserider is actually Ben.

That and I was just trying to make a joke, so :/

28. - Top - End - #358
    Ogre in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    I mean personally I don't think so, because obe of my pet theories is that coldhands mc mooserider is actually Ben.

Spoiler:
    Show
    Did Bran ever see Coldhands' face? If not, I could get behind that theory, but I think he mentioned he's been dead for a long time, and Benjen couldn't have been dead for much more than a year.

29. - Top - End - #359
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by An Enemy Spy View Post
    Spoiler:
    Show
    Did Bran ever see Coldhands' face? If not, I could get behind that theory, but I think he mentioned he's been dead for a long time, and Benjen couldn't have been dead for much more than a year.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Nope, he hasn't shown his face yet. All we see of him are his cold dead hands and his scarf covered face, perhaps his eyes. I dunno, I think it would be cool if he was Benjen. I don't think its a sound theory by far though, which is why it's a pet theory.

In fact since the events up north, I'm not really sure where he is now. Did we leave him off fighting the white walkers by himself?

30. - Top - End - #360
    Troll in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show

Spoiler
    Show
    Yeah, I get that it is a joke now. I considered the same thing about Coldhands. How could he have retained his sentience? Would being a Stark give you magical abilities related to ice magic in the same way that being a Targaryen sometimes gives you fire resistance? Just like Targaryens are related to fire dragons through Valryia, could the Stark's be related to the ice dragons somehow?