New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 18 of 46 FirstFirst ... 891011121314151617181920212223242526272843 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #511
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Let's Read A Song of Ice and Fire

Quote Originally Posted by Lethologica View Post
    Spoiler
    Show
    Incest is common
    Among dragons, not lions.
    False golden-haired twins.
    Spoiler
    Show
    The Driftwood King fell,
    accursed by the Kinslayer.
    Murdered for an egg.

Edit:
    For variant speakers:

The Driftwood King fell,
    usurped by the Kinslayer.
    Murdered for an egg.
    Last edited by Legato Endless; 2015-04-24 at 04:19 PM.

2. - Top - End - #512
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Legato Endless View Post
    Spoiler
    Show
    The Driftwood King fell,
    Murdered for an egg.
    Your haiku is 5-8-5
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by bosssmiley View Post
    You altruistic weirdo you!
    Discord: Spacecamp-Logic-Yako
    Former Avatar by Ceika, which I have long since lost a copy of.

3. - Top - End - #513
    Ettin in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    The Driftwood King fell,
    Murdered for an egg.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Hated valonqar
    Will murder the golden queen
    Kin- and Kingslayer.

Quote Originally Posted by Logic View Post
    Your haiku is 5-8-5
    'Accursed' can be pronounced with either 2 or 3 syllables.

4. - Top - End - #514
    Ogre in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    Hated valonqar
    Kin- and Kingslayer.

'Accursed' can be pronounced with either 2 or 3 syllables.
    I disagree, as "curse" is one syllable, and adding the prefix and suffix each require an additional sylable.
    Spoiler
    Show

5. - Top - End - #515
    Ogre in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    Hated valonqar
    Kin- and Kingslayer.
    Spoiler
    Show
    The Wall's sweet blue rose,
    will fall for the unburnt Queen
    Cue surprise incest.

Edit: I've been using Dragon too often.

Spoiler
    Show
    I disagree. I am operating under the assumption that Azor Ahai and The Prince that was Promised are not one and the same. Also that R'hllor, the Lord of Light, is not a divine benevolent deity, but one borne of darkness. Just reading the story of Azor Ahai forging Lightbringer tells me that Stannis is a better counterpart than anyone else yet mentioned.

I do think that Victarion could be Azor Ahai, but my money is on Stannis as the eventual villain of the whole thing.
    Spoiler: Prose comment
    Show
    I'm fond of the theory, but that niggling quote from Martin gives me pause to assume they're one and the same. Oh, I don't think very much of the fandom would disagree on R'hllor. But then I don't think we'll ever actually get confirmation that the gods are real, and this all isn't just ethereal forces various characters are tapping into with Magic's reawakening. Stannis as final antagonist is interesting, but I don't see it. His character development looks like it's leading in another direction. But massive kudos if that turns out correct. As for Victarion, that wasn't meant to be taken too seriously.
    Last edited by Legato Endless; 2015-04-24 at 05:07 PM.

6. - Top - End - #516
    Ettin in the Playground

I disagree, as "curse" is one syllable, and adding the prefix and suffix each require an additional sylable.
    There are...so many exceptions to that proposed suffix rule. It might as well be "i before e except after c." Ginned, spanned, stopped, passed, massed, watched, tamed, rained, reigned, flamed, shamed, trained, lamed, aimed, rammed, hammed, lambed, crammed, lacked, racked, smacked, checked, wrecked, axed, asked, tasked, aped, lapped, sapped, wrapped, capped, trapped, mapped, chapped, lied, died, tried, sighed, cried, hied, spied, ached, scarred, tarred, marred, barred, charred, jazzed, razzed, frazzled, strafed...

In particular:
    ac·curs·ed
    əˈkərst,əˈkərsid/

Note that there is only a single syllabic nucleus in the latter part of 'accursed' with the bolded pronunciation (the ə).

An extra syllable for -ed is required if the word ends in T (waited, started, rated) or D (raided, traded, abraded). Other words (most or all, not sure if I'm just forgetting some counterexamples) can have a single consonant sound added ('t' or 'd' depending on the word) without an extra syllable.

The a- prefix, being universally a vowel sound, runs on different rules.

Spoiler
    Show
    The Wall's sweet blue rose,
    will fall for the unburnt Queen
    Cue surprise incest.

Edit: I've been using Dragon too often.
    Spoiler
    Show
    The quiet isle
    Recovering warrior
    No longer a dog
    Last edited by Lethologica; 2015-04-24 at 05:23 PM.

7. - Top - End - #517
    Ettin in the Playground

Used to be that the -ed suffix was always pronounced as an extra syllable, which is why 17th and 18th century writers would abbreviate words like bless'd, curs'd, escap'd, and so on to eliminated the syllable. Standard English pronunciation eventually obviated the need to do so by eliding the vowel and leaving the spelling.

It is common practice (though by no means universal, and the verb cursed is one of the prominent examples to the contrary) to pronounce fully if the participle is being used as an adjective, and to elide if it's being used as a past tense (weak verbs in English don't generally differentiated between participle and past tense form). So you have a priest who blessed (one syllable) that blessed (two syllables) ring, and whoever wears it shall find holy strength and not be accursed (two or three syllables).
    Last edited by SaintRidley; 2015-04-24 at 06:45 PM.
    Linguist and Invoker of Orcus of the Rudisplorker's Guild
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    Fantasy literature is ONLY worthwhile for what it can tell us about the real world; everything else is petty escapism.
    No author should have to take the time to say, "This little girl ISN'T evil, folks!" in order for the reader to understand that. It should be assumed that no first graders are irredeemably Evil unless the text tells you they are.

8. - Top - End - #518
    Ogre in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    I don't see anything that really points that strongly to Stannis being Azor Ahai. His sword is a fake, he has no dragon woken out of stone, and the only reason anyone thinks he is Azor Ahai is that he was called that by a woman who clearly doesn't know as much as she thinks she does. In ADoD it's made clear that Melisandre is far from omnipotent, and is just taking the course of action that she believes R'hllor is setting for her.
    I think it fits Dany far more. She was born of salt in the storm at Dragonstone, reborn of smoke in Drogo's pyre, and woke not one, but three dragons out of stone. I don't think Lightbringer in her case is a literal sword, but probably Drogon. Drogo is her Nissa Nissa.
    There's also this line from Melisandre that builds a case for Jon Snow. "I pray for a glimpse of Azor Ahai, and R'hllor shows me only snow."
    I don't believe Jon Snow is Azor Ahai though. I can't really think of anything that qualifies him.[

9. - Top - End - #519
    Colossus in the Playground

None of these are really Haiku anyway, they don't follow proper form.
    Resident Vancian Apologist

10. - Top - End - #520
    Ogre in the Playground

Spoiler: A Dance with Dragons
    Show
    Well, the case for Jon as Azor Ahai comes from a few things. First, as you said, the clear preoccupation of Melisandre's visions with Jon, when she is looking for Azor Ahai. She also relates it to his warging. "First a man, then a wolf, then a man again". This could simply refer to warging, but at the start of the ADwD we have a scene that clearly talks about Wargs being able to enter their animals after death.

Additionally, Jon has a dream where he fights the Others, burning sword in hand. That's a pretty huge Azor Ahai nod.

Then comes the final scene "For the Watch". Jon's wounds apparently smoke. Bowen Marsh cries, hence salt. Ser Patrek has the sigil of a star, covered in blood, held aloft above the scene. This is where Azor Ahai is supposed to be reborn.

The theory is that Jon will warg into Ghost for a time (man, wolf, then man), and be resurrected by Melisandre (because R'hllor magic can do that.)

Whatever you think of the theory, there have definitely been some fairly clear nods to the prophecy in association with him.

11. - Top - End - #521
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Imperial Psycho View Post
    Spoiler: A Dance with Dragons
    Show
    Well, the case for Jon as Azor Ahai comes from a few things. First, as you said, the clear preoccupation of Melisandre's visions with Jon, when she is looking for Azor Ahai. She also relates it to his warging. "First a man, then a wolf, then a man again". This could simply refer to warging, but at the start of the ADwD we have a scene that clearly talks about Wargs being able to enter their animals after death.

Additionally, Jon has a dream where he fights the Others, burning sword in hand. That's a pretty huge Azor Ahai nod.

Then comes the final scene "For the Watch". Jon's wounds apparently smoke. Bowen Marsh cries, hence salt. Ser Patrek has the sigil of a star, covered in blood, held aloft above the scene. This is where Azor Ahai is supposed to be reborn.

The theory is that Jon will warg into Ghost for a time (man, wolf, then man), and be resurrected by Melisandre (because R'hllor magic can do that.)

Whatever you think of the theory, there have definitely been some fairly clear nods to the prophecy in association with him.
    I had actually forgotten all those details. Interesting.

12. - Top - End - #522
    Ogre in the Playground

BlackDragon

RE : Various Prophecies

I am of the opinion that these heroes are meant to be different people, as much as I would love Dany to just show up in westeros when the others come with 3 dragons and instantly win..that fight is not going to be easy.

However it makes more sense for these people to be different.

I Think Dany is Azor Ahai, she matches that side of things perfectly, I am awaiting her to find Lightbringer at some point. Yes I think Dany will be a warrior it would be incredibly odd for someone who wishes "To ride Dragons into combat and set her foes ablaze" to not know martial combats.

However "the prince that was promised" doesn't make sense, since it would be Aegon (Rhaegar's son) to be the prince from the evidence we have seen, but that would not lead to Dany, as in the lines of Succession, both of Rhaegar's sons would be princes above her.

Who do I think the Prince is?

Spoiler
    Show
    I totally buy into R + L = J, It makes too much sense considering Ned's visions given the evidence.

13. - Top - End - #523
    Ettin in the Playground

On a different subject, I'm halfway through Season 3 of the show (almost literally, the last episode I watched was Daenerys buying the Unsullied) and there's a question from Season 2 that's been nagging me, and I don't know if it was something changed for the show. Spoilered just in case:

Spoiler
    Show
    Who ordered Robert's bastards purged? The book strongly suggested Cersei, the show Joffrey. Was this a change, or is it meant to be cloudy?

Edit:Quotes are not spoilers
    Last edited by Gnoman; 2015-04-25 at 03:23 AM.

14. - Top - End - #524
    Ogre in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    It was a change. The show kinda tries to make Cersei a bit more sympathetic I think.

15. - Top - End - #525
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Eldan View Post
    None of these are really Haiku anyway, they don't follow proper form.
    Those were the westerosy version.
    Do I contradict myself?
    Very well then I contradict myself. I am large, I contain multitudes. (W.Whitman)

Things that increase my self esteem:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaiyanwang View Post
    Great analysis KA. I second all things you said
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeYounger View Post
    Great analysis KA, I second everything you said here.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryu_Bonkosi View Post
    If I have a player using Paladin in the future I will direct them to this. Good job.
    Quote Originally Posted by grimbold View Post
    THIS is proof that KA is amazing
    Quote Originally Posted by PairO'Dice Lost View Post
    Killer Angel, you have an excellent taste in books
    Historical zombies is a fantastic idea.

16. - Top - End - #526
    Bugbear in the Playground

MonkGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Imperial Psycho View Post
    Spoiler
    Show
    It was a change. The show kinda tries to make Cersei a bit more sympathetic I think.
    And/or to make Joffrey even worse.

17. - Top - End - #527
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Wardog View Post
    Which also really undercut Sansa in a lot of ways. Her adoration of book-Joffrey made sense, as he could legitimately be charming, he could legitimately act the part of those story heroes she liked so much, and he was in general able to be likeable. That facade disintegrated whenever being a petulant jerk was more viable, and he never even bothered putting it up with some people, but book-Sansa was sucked in by book-Joffrey's legitimate act of being a charming, friendly person. Show-Joffrey had none of that, and Show-Sansa comes off less as naive and more as a complete idiot making obviously self destructive choices.
    I would really like to see a game made by Obryn, Kurald Galain, and Knaight from these forums.

I'm not joking one bit. I would buy the hell out of that.
    -- ChubbyRain

Current Design Project: Legacy, a game of masters and apprentices for two players and a GM.

18. - Top - End - #528
    Ogre in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Wardog View Post
    Weirdly enough, I'm not sure it was so much Joffrey that came off worse as Robert. Maybe I'm reading too much into this, but one of the things that always struck me as very consistent in both book and show is that while Joffrey was a complete horror of a human being, he was also someone who completely idolized Robert and was absolutely desperate for anything even approaching affection or love from a man who, for his part, seemed at best to quietly loathe him. The only time I remember them interacting directly in either medium was when Nymeria chomped him, and that was to laugh at him for Arya getting the better of him. In the books, the only time Robert even talks about him is to casually mention punching the kid for what seems to be vivisecting a cat.

Killing Robert's illegitimate children is him, in his own completely screwed-up way, gallantly protecting his mother and father's honor as well as subconsciously destroying all of the siblings that look far more like his idol than he does. Say what you will about how he does it, but ultimately that strikes me as the sin of the father, not the son. Charming or not, I'm constantly trying and failing to find something that man touched that he didn't break.

19. - Top - End - #529
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Knaight View Post
    Which also really undercut Sansa in a lot of ways.
    Spoiler: Ridley, do you want us to spoiler tag any adaption changes to material you've already covered?
    Show
    This tends to happen rather too often in the show for my liking, which is one of the primary issues why I rate it a bit lower than the books. Another big example of this is the Rob-Cat dynamic. In the books, Cat is far and away the most politically savvy person in Rob's forces, and probably the North period excepting maybe one other character. In the show to compensate for his emphasized romantic issues, suddenly all of Cat's advice becomes Rob's natural conclusions, and Cat is left to basically wangst about her children throughout the War of the Five Kings.

20. - Top - End - #530
    Ogre in the Playground

Spoiler: Ridley, do you want us to spoiler tag any adaption changes to material you've already covered?
    Show
    This tends to happen rather too often in the show for my liking, which is one of the primary issues why I rate it a bit lower than the books. Another big example of this is the Rob-Cat dynamic. In the books, Cat is far and away the most politically savvy person in Rob's forces, and probably the North period excepting maybe one other character. In the show to compensate for his emphasized romantic issues, suddenly all of Cat's advice becomes Rob's natural conclusions, and Cat is left to basically wangst about her children throughout the War of the Five Kings.
    Spoiler: Concerning politically savvy characters
    Show
    Besides the obvious Roose Bolton, who might you be referring to? Wyman Manderly is one of the characters that I think is the most politically savvy of the lords in the north.
    Spoiler
    Show

21. - Top - End - #531
    Ogre in the Playground

BlackDragon

Quote Originally Posted by McStabbington View Post
    Weirdly enough, I'm not sure it was so much Joffrey that came off worse as Robert. Maybe I'm reading too much into this, but one of the things that always struck me as very consistent in both book and show is that while Joffrey was a complete horror of a human being, he was also someone who completely idolized Robert and was absolutely desperate for anything even approaching affection or love from a man who, for his part, seemed at best to quietly loathe him. The only time I remember them interacting directly in either medium was when Nymeria chomped him, and that was to laugh at him for Arya getting the better of him. In the books, the only time Robert even talks about him is to casually mention punching the kid for what seems to be vivisecting a cat.

Killing Robert's illegitimate children is him, in his own completely screwed-up way, gallantly protecting his mother and father's honor as well as subconsciously destroying all of the siblings that look far more like his idol than he does. Say what you will about how he does it, but ultimately that strikes me as the sin of the father, not the son. Charming or not, I'm constantly trying and failing to find something that man touched that he didn't break.
    I trace Robert's failures back to Tywin and Jon Ayrran they forced two people into a marriage they did not remotely want, with two people who frankly had the best possible outcome of "waiting a long time" before killing each other.

Deep down I think Robert knew Joffery was not his.

22. - Top - End - #532
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by ryuplaneswalker View Post
    I trace Robert's failures back to Tywin and Jon Ayrran they forced two people into a marriage they did not remotely want, with two people who frankly had the best possible outcome of "waiting a long time" before killing each other.

Deep down I think Robert knew Joffery was not his.
    I think a bigger problem was that Robert's heart wasn't in it - "Someone took her away from me, and seven kingdoms couldn't fill the hole she left behind." Robert Baratheon was a broken man before he ever sat on the Iron Throne, and his many failures as a ruler stemmed from him trying to find a replacement for the hot rage that sustained him in the Rebellion - which is why he reacted so primarily to Daenerys's marriage - a Targaryen heir brought back that hot hate, and made him feel alive for the first time in many years.

23. - Top - End - #533
    Barbarian in the Playground

Spoiler: Concerning politically savvy characters
    Show
    Besides the obvious Roose Bolton, who might you be referring to? Wyman Manderly is one of the characters that I think is the most politically savvy of the lords in the north.
    Spoiler
    Show
    i may be confusing terminology here, manderly doesn't seem big on politics; pretty much lets everyone think he's a tryhard coward and only covertly plots his moves, pretty similar to martell but with a nobler purpose. The only politically powerful northerners to me are the ones who have leverage over others and strive to improve their lot, which (like it or not) is the freys. Except they are somewhat special in their playing of the game, and i would say they'll be gone soon except given the world so far, maybe not!
    Last edited by JustSomeGuy; 2015-04-26 at 04:01 AM.

24. - Top - End - #534
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by JustSomeGuy View Post
    Spoiler
    Show
    i may be confusing terminology here, manderly doesn't seem big on politics; pretty much lets everyone think he's a tryhard coward and only covertly plots his moves, pretty similar to martell but with a nobler purpose. The only politically powerful northerners to me are the ones who have leverage over others and strive to improve their lot, which (like it or not) is the freys. Except they are somewhat special in their playing of the game, and i would say they'll be gone soon except given the world so far, maybe not!
    Spoiler
    Show

The Freys aren't of the north, though.

And, while they are trying to improve their lot, I think lost all of their "savvy" points when they made literally every single other house hate them.
    Last edited by Shadow of the Sun; 2015-04-26 at 05:20 AM.
    i am going to make it through this year
    if it kills me
    i am going to make it though this year
    if it kills me

25. - Top - End - #535
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by JustSomeGuy View Post
    Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show
    Manderly is powerful.
    White Harbor be be military weak, but it's one of the five major cities of Westeros. And they are listed among the most powerful vassals of House Stark.
    And they have money
    Last edited by Killer Angel; 2015-04-26 at 05:41 AM.
    Do I contradict myself?
    Very well then I contradict myself. I am large, I contain multitudes. (W.Whitman)

Things that increase my self esteem:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaiyanwang View Post
    Great analysis KA. I second all things you said
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeYounger View Post
    Great analysis KA, I second everything you said here.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryu_Bonkosi View Post
    If I have a player using Paladin in the future I will direct them to this. Good job.
    Quote Originally Posted by grimbold View Post
    THIS is proof that KA is amazing
    Quote Originally Posted by PairO'Dice Lost View Post
    Killer Angel, you have an excellent taste in books
    Historical zombies is a fantastic idea.

26. - Top - End - #536
    Ogre in the Playground

BlackDragon

Quote Originally Posted by Gnoman View Post
    I think a bigger problem was that Robert's heart wasn't in it - "Someone took her away from me, and seven kingdoms couldn't fill the hole she left behind." Robert Baratheon was a broken man before he ever sat on the Iron Throne, and his many failures as a ruler stemmed from him trying to find a replacement for the hot rage that sustained him in the Rebellion - which is why he reacted so primarily to Daenerys's marriage - a Targaryen heir brought back that hot hate, and made him feel alive for the first time in many years.
    Oh I agree his heart was never in ruling, but that is a separate problem same root maybe but seperate.

Even without Lannister's being around he would have had a bad time ruling, dude never got over Liliana stark.

27. - Top - End - #537
    Ettin in the Playground

Legato, I think I would like adaptation changes spoilered. It will be worth catching them as I go along, I think.
    Fantasy literature is ONLY worthwhile for what it can tell us about the real world; everything else is petty escapism.
    No author should have to take the time to say, "This little girl ISN'T evil, folks!" in order for the reader to understand that. It should be assumed that no first graders are irredeemably Evil unless the text tells you they are.

28. - Top - End - #538
    Titan in the Playground

Show
    Spoiler: Show Spoilers
    Show
    That one grated on me as well. It got to the point where I came to actively dislike the show and stopped watching it seasons ago. Book-Sansa is among my favorite characters. She's interesting, she's understandable, and her character arc plays well with her flaws. Show-Sansa is a pale imitation at the best of times, and the show's handling of Joffrey was just the first of many extremely visible indicators of this. Then there's the way Tyrion gets undercut (such as his leadership of a battle being replaced with being knocked on the head before it starts and waking up when it ends), your example with Cat, and just so many other cases where a lot of the characters are so much weaker.
    I would really like to see a game made by Obryn, Kurald Galain, and Knaight from these forums.

I'm not joking one bit. I would buy the hell out of that.
    -- ChubbyRain

Current Design Project: Legacy, a game of masters and apprentices for two players and a GM.

29. - Top - End - #539
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Knaight View Post
    Spoiler: Show Spoilers
    Show
    Then there's the way Tyrion gets undercut (such as his leadership of a battle being replaced with being knocked on the head before it starts and waking up when it ends),
    Spoiler
    Show
    Well, technically, Tyrion was only leading his mountain tribesmen and Bronn in that battle; Tywin had explicitly denied him battle command of anything more than that, giving the command of the vanguard to Gregor Clegane instead. The point still stands though, and is a large part of why I lost interest somewhere in the show's third/fourth season, myself.

Member of the Phyrnglsnyx Pronunciation Pact

PHYRNGLSNYX
    Fear-en-gil-sniks

[fyːrŋlˌsnɪks]

Spoiler: Past Avatars
    Show

Current avatar by Cuthalion. Thanks a lot!

30. - Top - End - #540
    Ettin in the Playground

Now that I'm done with this semester, it's time for another round.

Let’s Read: A Song of Ice and Fire:
    A Storm of Swords
    part five!
    ~400-~500!
    As we continue our way through the long middle of the book (I’m still not even halfway done), things are really starting to pick up here. We’ve got trials by combat, we’ve got wedding preparations, we’ve got death all over the place. Things are getting interesting, and I’m happy to let myself get absorbed in the confusion a bit.

I remember seeing, but not thinking to mark down, a penis in one of these chapters. I don’t remember where or whose, though. So. wiener wiener wiener wiener wiener wiener wiener... On to the chapters!

Jon: Jon and a group of the wildlings have managed to reach the Wall and begin scaling it. Not without casualties – the wall defends itself, as Jon reminds us – but bested all the same. With Jarl dead, though, Jon should feel more secure. Jarl’s the one he pegged as the bigger threat, the one he’d have a harder time tricking. Now he only has to worry about the Magnar.

Ygritte reveals that they never did find the Horn of Winter. Whatever that is, it’s probably for the best that they haven’t got it.

Jaime: He’s maimed! His swordhand is gone, and that’s a big problem for Jaime. As he flails around with a sword in his shieldhand, Jaime begins to experience an existential crisis. What is he good for if he can’t use a sword? Was he ever more than a sword to begin with?

These are harsh questions he has to begin sorting out. And in the meanwhile, he’s got to also come to terms with who he’s stuck with. Brienne of Tarth is the only person around who is even remotely close to having similar interests to his. Jaime, clever as he is, recognizes that without Brienne he’s got nothing. He calls her his protector. And he tries to protect her as well – his shouting about sapphires and attempts to psychologically reassure her are, in a way, somewhat noble in this crapsack world. In another story, Jaime Lannister might even be the sort of character you might root for, sort of.

When they arrive at Harrenhal, it’s Roose Bolton who takes charge of them. He seems unlikely to take Brienne seriously, which may very well turn out quite badly for him. Jaime, meanwhile, wants to salvage all of his arm and won’t hear of amputation. He just needs to shove a harpoon in the stump and he’ll be good as new, really.

Tyrion: Tyrion’s new job as Master of Coin doesn’t seem to be off to a great start. Lacking whatever contacts Littlefinger has, Tyrion is left wanting. And Tywin’s no help, of course.

In terms of the marriage to Sansa, that too isn’t so great. True to his word, Tyrion and Sansa haven’t consummated the marriage. Unfortunately for him and his aspirations, it is known. Everybody knows that the Imp’s marriage is all smoke and mirrors right now. And worse, Tyrion finds himself wanting her. He wants her happiness, but he reflects that giving her that is as likely as him being as tall as Jaime or as strong as the Mountain.

The situation is rightly squicky based on our modern cultural mores. One of the great traditions of Western fantasy is the neomedieval setting, a setting that’s very often basically our world but dressed up in medieval drag, espousing our values while seeming old-fashioned and occasionally with a dash of elves and dwarves. Presented that way, the Middle ages can be a place we might want to live in.

Martin’s setting is very much medieval drag, just as much as any fantasy novel playing off the European Middle Ages is. Yet, where other stories make the setting something to aspire to or that would, at the very least, be nice for a visit, Martin reminds us that these are times we should not want to return to. These are times, Martin reminds us, that no woman, queer person, person of color, commoner, or person with a disability should ever think would be accepted and have the freedom we have nowadays. The world is a crapsack world in part because it is explicitly the playground of cishet able-bodied white men of means. Our world? Better than that, but mostly because it’s no longer as explicit. The problems are still there, because they stem from exactly the kind of source presented as the norm in Westeros.

And Joffrey will be receiving a sword of Valyrian steel for his wedding. One with a ripple of Lannister red, almost as if to put some fire in the sword. Fortunately, it doesn’t take much thought to see that this is a red herring on the flaming sword thing. There’s also one for Jaime, but he’ll never be able to use it. Of course, Tywin and Tyrion don’t know that.

Cersei’s marriage has been put on hold, as it would seem he has been told she is too “old and too used” for him. Ouch. Good thing the offer was never made.

Lord Tywin has his own ideas about what should happen at the Wall , and that involves having a Lannister loyalist running things up there. From far too little attention to the Wall to far too much, of all the wrong kind.

And Symon Silvertongue will be shortened by a head. Tyrion has learned to be more expedient with threats.

Samwell: Craster’s Keep is about as near as it gets to safe haven north of the Wall. Time for Gilly’s baby to be born, and for the remaining members of the ranging to regroup and figure things out. As it turns out, things North of the Wall will not be getting any better here.

Sam has earned a derisive nickname for figuring out how to kill the Others, and it seems a lot of people don’t believe him (hence the derisive nickname). The Old Bear believes him, though. With all going on, though, it doesn’t help. Some of the men are done and want to return home.

So a fight breaks out, and Lord Commander Mormont is struck fatally, and Craster’s killed as well. Mormont puts Sam in charge of getting to the wall and trying to get Jorah to take the black, which can go either really well or really poorly.

Gilly and her newborn son will be joining Sam on the journey south. And the boy’s brothers? So they aren’t Others – or are they? Maybe they’re corpsicle wights. Either way, Craster’s screwing things up for the rest of the world.

Arya: So it is the Hound. And we finally find Beric Dondarrion, who looks like hell. Like, scars from hanging among other would-be deathblows. The Hound is accused, not least by Arya, and Dondarrion gives him the chance to prove his innocence by combat.

It’s a knockdown, dragout slobberknocker of a fight, and the Hound manages to practically cleave Dondarrion in two. Arya accuses him after Dondarrion’s body is taken away, and he accepts her accusation. She’s ready to execute him, but the dagger is taken away and she tells him to go to hell. At which point Dondarrion reveals his immortality. Things just got extremely interesting over here.

Catelyn: Lord Hoster is finally dead. Dude was so good at barely being alive I half expected him to survive the series just to spite the readers. To add to the mourning, Robb has gotten word of Sansa’s marriage, and they still have no word of Arya’s whereabouts. In addition, they have word now of the burning of Winterfell and the Bolton bastard’s involvement.

On the plus side, the Freys may be on the way back to rejoining Robb’s camp. As long as Edmure marries Lord Frey’s youngest daughter. Might things be beginning to look up for Robb here?

Davos: Out of prison at last. A good man, Davos is not unwilling to name it cowardice to attack what amounts to the undefended women and children of an already defeated House. What he does that really shocks is point out Stannis himself has violated the oath of loyalty he expects all others to hew to unreservedly. Axell Florent is displeased, but Stannis seems happy with Davos’s unfailing honesty.

Stannis is a man who sees everything as to do with duty or rigid adherence to the law. He is Lawful neutral personified, and he knows Davos intended to kill Melisandre. But what’s interesting is his interest, or lack thereof, in Edric Storm. He won’t name the boy, but he wants him alive and well for the power of a king’s blood – power Melisandre can put to use. She’s already drained Stannis of too much. Maybe Edric must be her backup?

Stannis has seen in the flames the Others. He has an inkling of what’s to come, but for him that is the game to be put off. The other kings take precedence in his mind. Melisandre wants Edric, to wake the stone dragon she says, but Stannis is resistant to the idea. He’d rather use leeches to absorb the boy’s blood, it would seem, and continue to be used himself rather than harm a boy who has done nothing wrong. Maybe there’s a chip in the ice of his soul after all.

Things of importance:
    * Beric Dondarrion is some kind of immortal something or other, worships the Lord of Light, and can make his sword come afire.
    * Davos has become the Hand of King Stannis.
    * Craster’s use for his sons may have screwed the world.
    * The Horn of Winter remains unfound

Predictions pulled out of my ass:
    * Who will find the Horn of Winter? Perhaps the King in the North can do it.
    * Joffrey is the first name Stannis throws to the fire and Robert the last, with more consideration. His next move will be against Robert, perhaps the one he sees as the greatest threat.

Dany’s Threes:
    Three heads: Three identities. Mother of dragons and child of storms are obvious – the third, though… I’ll have to go look things over again, but perhaps Azor Ahai is a possibility. Of course, this one’s most open and could have several meanings.
    She thinks: the three ships she’s naming after the great dragons.
    Jorah thinks: Dany and two husbands (him as one).
    Three fires: life, death, love. There’s the obvious fire of Drogo’s funeral – the fire of life. The other two will come. No predictions as yet.
    Three mounts: To bed, to dread, to love. Drogo was to bed. She will have another to dread (Jorah if he turns out to be a treason), and if the Jon Snow as secret Targaryen and match to her thing works out he’s the one to love.
    Three treasons: For blood, for gold, for love. I think Ser Jorah might betray her out of love. For blood, I don’t know, though, because I’m starting to think the three treasons might all be future events from the point of the vision – as in nothing before the vision will count. Depending on what happens with Illyrio Mopatis, we might have a winner for gold.
    She thinks: Mirri Maz Duur for blood.

Azor Ahai: “When the red star bleeds and the darkness gathers, Azor Ahai shall be born again amidst smoke and salt to wake dragons out of stone.”

Well, I’m just going to say it’s Beric Dondarrion for now. Everything Melisandre has tried to make Stannis be in order for him to be Azor Ahai, Beric does a thousand times better.