New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Bugbear in the Playground

DwarfClericGuy

Default Post-Apocalyptic: "Dimensional Collision"

Originally this stemmed from an idea of mashing up every possible method of ending the world into one single megapocalypse, but as I thought it through things sort of started to merge into a more coherent single concept. Unfortunately I don't have any details, only concepts, but that's why I'm posting here.

All right, so basically the idea is that the world "ends" via a collision with this big mess of tangled realities. Rifts spread across the entire world until it's impossible to tell where this dimension ends and the next begins. Alien influence seeps in through the rifts, corrupting all it touches - and this all happens to multiple (maybe infinite) alternate versions of modern/near-modern Earth.

The aforementioned alien influence, known (amongst hundreds of other names) as the "Other", appears to be some alien form of life that defies conventional biology. It starts off its "lifecycle" as spores approximately the size of pollen. If these spores manage to come in to contact with terrestrial life, and are not defeated by the subject's immune system, they will begin to mutate the victim.

On its own, the most common result of a successful mutation is a singular mutant that cannot produce spores and does not spread the Other. Sometimes, however, a Contaigon is generated that allows other members of the same species to be infected and changed in the same manner. Mutant species may (or may not) be able to reproduce "naturally" as well. Finally, mutants are usually highly resistant to further mutation. (Note: Contageous mutations of Homo Sapiens universally results in insanity and agressive behavior, producing beings which are commonly called "zombies" etc. despite being still alive.)

However, mutation takes a different turn when in the presence of the Other's second stage: a pseudo-floral ground cover known as "Creep". Due to rapid and unpredictable mutation, the precise appearance of Creep varies widely by region, but in general it takes the form of something between a plant and a fungus, with unatural coloration. Mutations on Creep lead to a merger of the victim with the Creep itself, possibly forming a larger pseudo-floral structure or symbiotic xeno-fauna. (Creep also expands and develops such features naturally.) These in turn often are capable of producing spores, thereby completing the cycle.

Xeno-fauna can become quite complex, and even intelligent. Only one rule applies to their form: horrific. Occasionally packs will venture forth to raid passing groups of humans, with many rumors of humans kidnapped alive and dragged deep into the Creep. Such horror stories are at least 90% made up, but still a great scare around the campfire. In any case, Xeno-fauna will always return to the Creep in the end; they seem intimately tied to it on a biological level.

Amidst all this, humans live on. In large regions clear of dimentional rifts, settlements and even nations can form. But for those whom travel in caravans, constantly moving through the rifts, endless opportunity (and danger) await. There is always a fresh supply of resources from more "recently" breached dimensions. Whether it be supplies for scavengers, or recruits for raiders (whom would otherwise self-destruct), there is always new turf through the next rift.

...And that concludes the concept. The only thing I know that this setting needs mechanically is a lot of procedural generation; that seems the perfect way to keep things constantly fresh. Also, any adventuring party would probably be part of a wandering caravan, so having streamlined rules for that would be essential as well.

Beyond that, I have no idea. Which is why I'm posting here. Please ask me as many questions as you can think of: they help me put my ideas in a readable form. In the end, though, I'm positive I won't ever finish this on my own (within this decade at least), so feel free to post foreward all the creative input you have.
    Last edited by Geordnet; 2014-07-20 at 12:44 AM.

⌠┌___r-RcosΘ___
    ⌡└rē+Rē-2rRcosΘ┘dΘ

2. - Top - End - #2
    Dwarf in the Playground

Default Re: Post-Apocalyptic: "Dimensional Collision"

What is the status quo between humans and the other. Is one "winning"? Are the humans going extinct? Or are the just thought of as a dangerous but avoidable obstacle?

3. - Top - End - #3
    Bugbear in the Playground

DwarfClericGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Jakodee View Post
    What is the status quo between humans and the other. Is one "winning"? Are the humans going extinct? Or are the just thought of as a dangerous but avoidable obstacle?
    Well, it could be spun whichever way, I suppose. I think that's something which is up to the interpreter, as the Other is supposed to be more of a force of nature than a direct enemy.

Hm... Activity would have to spike in newly-breached realities, then taper off quickly after civilization collapses (perhaps terrestrial live collectively builds up a resistance to it). So if you're looking at the post-apocalyptic period (as opposed to during the apocalypse) the status quo would be an extended stalemate in most areas.

I think the best way to look at it would be that the first battle was a decisive - but phyrric - human victory, leaving the outlook for the future rather grim, to say the least.

⌠┌___r-RcosΘ___
    ⌡└rē+Rē-2rRcosΘ┘dΘ

4. - Top - End - #4
    Banned

The status quo is one of deepening infinities. As long as there is room to expand, it's a race, not a fight.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Dwarf in the Playground

Try to think about the adventurers perspective. Who are certainly enemies or obstacles? Who are neutral? Who are benevolent or could go either way? Also, what is valued when natural resources are this abundant?