New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Troll in the Playground

BlackDragon

Default Re: What did Malack do that made Nale hate him so much?

Remember that Nale decided that Elan needed to die just because Elan wanted to help Roy defeat Xykon before Elan could consider joining up with Nale. Deciding that your own flesh and blood deserves impalement simply for honoring a commitment to a friend and joining you later when you didn't need his help or anything seems pretty friggin' harsh. It seems like Nale inherited his father's predisposition to demand disproportunate vengeance against even the slightest of wrongs. I put my 2 copper pieces that all Malack had to do was make an actual insult toward the little hellspawn, and that'd be enough to warrant murdering his kids.
    You can call me anything. I've been called Inkin, Nono, INo, Names, and NoKnow so far.

As of 7/20, I've gotten help in trying to get past a physical addiction that's been eating at my time, and finished recovering from a spot of trouble that ended up eeking into Self-Harm. I'm doing better now; here's hoping it lasts a bit longer...

2. - Top - End - #32
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by INoKnowNames View Post
    I put my 2 copper pieces that all Malack had to do was make an actual insult toward the little hellspawn, and that'd be enough to warrant murdering his kids.
    I would disagree - while Nale had his moral failings sure, but he did not harm those related to his target to enact his revenge (without cause).

Look at the plot with Roy's sister - he had her captured, he had every reason to dislike Roy, he had a creepy stalker that had been interested in her on his pay role etc.
    What happened to her - nothing.
    She was captured as part of his beef with the Order of the Stick and Elan in particular, as such there was no need to get properly bent out of shape about her (even when she insulted him, and showed him up in relation to the 25 word limit of sending).
    Nor did he go back to deal with her later (that we know of).

Had it been Tarquin rather than Nale, Julia may have suffered much much worse.

Or to sum up - Nale likely killed Malack's kids for the exact reason he said, practice.

3. - Top - End - #33
    Troll in the Playground

BlackDragon

Quote Originally Posted by dancrilis View Post
    I would disagree - while Nale had his moral failings sure, but he did not harm those related to his target to enact his revenge (without cause).

Look at the plot with Roy's sister - he had her captured, he had every reason to dislike Roy, he had a creepy stalker that had been interested in her on his pay role etc.
    What happened to her - nothing.
    She was captured as part of his beef with the Order of the Stick and Elan in particular, as such there was no need to get properly bent out of shape about her (even when she insulted him, and showed him up in relation to the 25 word limit of sending).
    Nor did he go back to deal with her later (that we know of).

Had it been Tarquin rather than Nale, Julia may have suffered much much worse.

Or to sum up - Nale likely killed Malack's kids for the exact reason he said, practice.
    Roy didn't personally insult Nale, though. By the time Roy had reason to hate Nale, Nale had already nearly killed Elan and destroyed the Order of the Stick. Roy's fighting back was natural at that point. Also, creepy stalker? Pompey was a fellow highschool student, and Julia was the Queen Bitch of the school; it wasn't capturing Hermionie Granger and giving her to that werewolf pedorapist.

His otherwise polite treatment of her in comparison to how his father might do things just helps to show how significantly worse his father is, but let us not also forget that during that whole "Cliffport" fiasco, Nale was not focused on Roy at all, but still Elan. The entirety of the plan was to make his revenge against Elan as painful as possible, and he had little reason to deviate from his plans. I feel like Roy would have stuck around had Nale actually let something terrible happen to his sister, which would have given Elan more time to help reveal Nale's deception, which would have ruined Nale's plan, which would have messed up the sequencing of the plot by a bit (heck, Tarquinn wouldn't have even known about the gates, and Elan and friends would have had more time to head straight to the gate unabated, and then it might not have been destroyed, and then they'd have to fight Xykon while at the gate).

He may have killed his kids as practice, and my original claim might have been a bit too broad, but Nale doesn't take to having his pride directly insulted, particularly against anyone related to the father he hates so much, or anyone related to that father, be it friends or family. So all Malack had to do was piss him off, and that'd still be enough for Nale to hate him. Whatever Nale's reasons for killing Malack's kids aside, Nale probably didn't need much motivation, the sociopath.

Heck, Celia literally did nothing to Nale; it doesn't seem like he even met her in person. Yet he saw fit to have his drow petrify her just because she'd be able to resist the magic of the talisman he wanted.
    Last edited by INoKnowNames; 2014-07-21 at 11:29 AM.
    You can call me anything. I've been called Inkin, Nono, INo, Names, and NoKnow so far.

As of 7/20, I've gotten help in trying to get past a physical addiction that's been eating at my time, and finished recovering from a spot of trouble that ended up eeking into Self-Harm. I'm doing better now; here's hoping it lasts a bit longer...

4. - Top - End - #34
    Ogre in the Playground

Am I the only one who thinks Nale never "found out" Malack was a vampire? It seems like the kind of thing that would be talked about normally within the Vector Legion, sort of like if you grow up with a parent's friend who's diabetic.
    "Come on Nale, let's go eat our dinner while Uncle Malack gets his at the slave pits, okay?"
    Quote Originally Posted by T-O-E View Post
    MAJOR SPOILERS. Seriously!
    The last panel will be...
    Spoiler
    Show
    Black. 'The End' in white text.

Don't say I didn't warn you.
    I won a thread. Am I pathetic to list that in my signture? Yes. Of course I am.

Awesome avatar is awesome. And made by yldenfrei.

5. - Top - End - #35
    Troll in the Playground

BlackDragon

Quote Originally Posted by Cizak View Post
    Am I the only one who thinks Nale never "found out" Malack was a vampire? It seems like the kind of thing that would be talked about normally within the Vector Legion, sort of like if you grow up with a parent's friend who's diabetic.
    "Come on Nale, let's go eat our dinner while Uncle Malack gets his at the slave pits, okay?"
    Yeah, it probably was secret only to the audience, the order, and those not "in" on the empire. It was probably a given to everyone else who worked with them properly.

6. - Top - End - #36
    Bugbear in the Playground

I also got the impression it was personal, something Malack specifically did.
    I like semicolons; they make me feel smart.

7. - Top - End - #37
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by rodneyAnonymous View Post
    I also got the impression it was personal, something Malack specifically did.
    Nale planned the killing for his entire life (while doing other thngs, of course). I'm pretty sure it was personal
    Do I contradict myself?
    Very well then I contradict myself. I am large, I contain multitudes. (W.Whitman)

Things that increase my self esteem:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaiyanwang View Post
    Great analysis KA. I second all things you said
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeYounger View Post
    Great analysis KA, I second everything you said here.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryu_Bonkosi View Post
    If I have a player using Paladin in the future I will direct them to this. Good job.
    Quote Originally Posted by grimbold View Post
    THIS is proof that KA is amazing
    Quote Originally Posted by PairO'Dice Lost View Post
    Killer Angel, you have an excellent taste in books
    Quote Originally Posted by Eldan View Post
    Historical zombies is a fantastic idea.

8. - Top - End - #38
    Troll in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Keltest View Post
    I have a hard time imagining "Something seriously horrible, because Nale was laughably petty."

Ok, that's not true, I just have a hard time not laughing at the idea.

"Malack probably killed a person and made Nale bury the body or something. That's totally the kind of thing Nale would get mad at him for."
    I find that combination to be fairly unlikely, but you are right that it is down right hilarious.

Peelee’s Lotsey

9. - Top - End - #39
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Jaxzan Proditor View Post
    I find that combination to be fairly unlikely, but you are right that it is down right hilarious.
    Sadly, after thinking about it a bit, I can totally see that specific example happening. That really is the kind of thing Nale would get mad at someone over. He's far too important to hide the body!
    “Evil is evil. Lesser, greater, middling, it's all the same. Proportions are negotiated, boundaries blurred. I'm not a pious hermit, I haven't done only good in my life. But if I'm to choose between one evil and another, then I prefer not to choose at all.”

10. - Top - End - #40
    Troll in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Sadly, after thinking about it a bit, I can totally see that specific example happening. That really is the kind of thing Nale would get mad at someone over. He's far too important to hide the body!
    I don't think he's that petty. Like I said, it would be funny if it was the case, but probably too funny to take seriously.

Peelee’s Lotsey

11. - Top - End - #41
    Barbarian in the Playground

Yeah, it probably was secret only to the audience, the order, and those not "in" on the empire. It was probably a given to everyone else who worked with them properly.
    Expecting small children to keep a secret is unwise.
    My blog: Alien America - amusing incidents and creative misinterpretations

12. - Top - End - #42
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quasi-imagined slights.

The wish of self-realization before his father, who likes a vampire better than him.

A father against whom he rebelled, and whom Malak helped.

So, I think it's all due to very complicated daddy issues, Tarquin's inability to show love to his child beyond his usual masquerade brought the child to hate Tarquin's best friend and kill his children, preparing for the time to murder him.

The fact that Malak also was his teacher put Nale in his power. That must have made the situation even worse for him. We don't know if Malak was a cruel teacher (somehow, I doubt it), but being forced to being grown up by the dude you want to substitute as Dad's BFF and Guy He's Proud Of and To Whom He Talks About Grown-Up Things must have been pretty hard for him, especially if his disposition staid the same since he was a child.

So, in the end, I think it mostly was Tarquin's fault. Or, I'm sure Tarquin had an horrible effect on his child. I'm not sure about how the undead monstrosity handled him. It could have been unspeakable horror or a rather "human" relationship, like he was trying to build with Durkon.

Or Nale hates him because he acted like someone who loved his children, while his own father couldn't go beyond vain showboating.
    Quote Originally Posted by J.R.R. Tolkien, 1955
    I thought Tom Bombadil dreadful — but worse still was the announcer's preliminary remarks that Goldberry was his daughter (!), and that Willowman was an ally of Mordor (!!).

13. - Top - End - #43
    Titan in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Killer Angel View Post
    Nale planned the killing for his entire life (while doing other thngs, of course). I'm pretty sure it was personal
    Some personal or imagined slight, like implying that a centuries-old cleric could DARE be more intelligent and competent than Nale.

Nale has a massive ego, and his father is extremely petty. It isn't much of a jump to assume that Nale is similarly petty and vile.

14. - Top - End - #44

BardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Vinyadan View Post
    Quasi-imagined slights.

The wish of self-realization before his father, who likes a vampire better than him.

A father against whom he rebelled, and whom Malak helped.

So, I think it's all due to very complicated daddy issues, Tarquin's inability to show love to his child beyond his usual masquerade brought the child to hate Tarquin's best friend and kill his children, preparing for the time to murder him.

The fact that Malak also was his teacher put Nale in his power. That must have made the situation even worse for him. We don't know if Malak was a cruel teacher (somehow, I doubt it), but being forced to being grown up by the dude you want to substitute as Dad's BFF and Guy He's Proud Of and To Whom He Talks About Grown-Up Things must have been pretty hard for him, especially if his disposition staid the same since he was a child.

So, in the end, I think it mostly was Tarquin's fault. Or, I'm sure Tarquin had an horrible effect on his child. I'm not sure about how the undead monstrosity handled him. It could have been unspeakable horror or a rather "human" relationship, like he was trying to build with Durkon.

Or Nale hates him because he acted like someone who loved his children, while his own father couldn't go beyond vain showboating.
    I actually like this one. He hates Malak because Tarquin puts him above Nale. He hates Tarquin because he doesn't give him any credit. He plans to kill Malak to make his father recognize his worth, but rebels against his father to prove to himself that he is greater than Tarquin. The sad thing is, this is all done in the vein of "Am I good enough now?" sort of tone that gives you the feels.
    See my Extended Signature for my list of silly shenanigans.

Anyone is welcome to use or critique my 3.5 Fighter homebrew: The Vanguard.

I am a Dungeon Master for Hire that creates custom content for people and programs d20 content for the HeroLab character system. Please donate to my Patreon and visit the HeroLab forums.

15. - Top - End - #45

Quote Originally Posted by warrl View Post
    Expecting small children to keep a secret is unwise.
    And Tarquin is renowned for his wisdom.

16. - Top - End - #46
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by ORione View Post
    And Tarquin is renowned for his wisdom.
    at the very least, hes genre savvy enough to know that the children ALWAYS spill the beans.
    “Evil is evil. Lesser, greater, middling, it's all the same. Proportions are negotiated, boundaries blurred. I'm not a pious hermit, I haven't done only good in my life. But if I'm to choose between one evil and another, then I prefer not to choose at all.”

17. - Top - End - #47
    Ettin in the Playground

I was under the impression that Malack's vampirism wasn't even really a secret. The OOTS didn't know because they are ignorant of the undead.
    THE SCRYING EYE AT THE END OF STRIP #698 WAS ZZ'DTRI'S (SOURCE)

18. - Top - End - #48
    Dwarf in the Playground

One day, Tarquin threw Nale a birthday party. It was to be a feast, celebrating how Nale was at least a year mature for his age, and worth four of these ten-year-Nales. The feast was going to have a cake for each year of Nale's maturity and worth. However, due to his "dietary restrictions," Malack had the cakes infused with human blood. Malack tainted forty cakes. 40 cakes. As many as four tens.

And that's terrible.
    I guess sometimes it's more interesting to accept a mistake and go with it.

19. - Top - End - #49

AssassinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Gift Jeraff View Post
    Some readers pointed out that Nale being 9 years old would've been close to Miron's 12-year old favor for Tarquin.
    That's "Tarquin's 12-year old favor for Miron." Tarquin did the original favor, not Miron.

20. - Top - End - #50
    Ettin in the Playground

Another thought occurs: While witnessing Malack feeding is bound to scar any child, I don't see why adult Nale would consciously hate that memory unless it was someone he liked. He identifies with that side of Evil ("We should get like nine months of evil happiness by eating your heart").

Maybe at nine years old, Tarquin took him aside and told him the "family business," including that Malack will eventually inherit everything. Even if Malack would have let Nale take center stage after the other 5 die and before he dies, his reign would have still been a footnote to Malack's eternal necrocracy.
    Quote Originally Posted by orrion View Post
    That's "Tarquin's 12-year old favor for Miron." Tarquin did the original favor, not Miron.
    I typed it both ways and they both made sense to me, depending on how you read it.
    THE SCRYING EYE AT THE END OF STRIP #698 WAS ZZ'DTRI'S (SOURCE)

21. - Top - End - #51
    Orc in the Playground

I was always under the impression that Nale disliked Malack, who is easily disagreeable, certainly Evil, and probably (not sure if there's been explicit evidence) spent a lot of time teaching him, and Lord knows teaching Nale is... not a good idea. Nale, being a vile and despicable waste of a human being, took what should have been a fairly serious irritance and inflated it to murder-desire.

So, TL;DR Malack is now Elan. LET THE CONSPIRACY THEORIES BEGIN

22. - Top - End - #52

AssassinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Gift Jeraff View Post
    I typed it both ways and they both made sense to me, depending on how you read it.
    I suppose. The point, though, is that it doesn't really make sense to me for Miron to owe Tarquin a favor for something that happened then. If Nale were involved in that I would expect Tarquin to be the one who owed the favor to Miron for his saving Nale or keeping something secret or some other possibility. I can't think of a scenario where Miron would owe a favor.

23. - Top - End - #53
    Barbarian in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

I have a hard time imagining "Something seriously horrible, because Nale was laughably petty."

Ok, that's not true, I just have a hard time not laughing at the idea.

"Malack probably killed a person and made Nale bury the body or something. That's totally the kind of thing Nale would get mad at him for."
    I can see it now...

Spoiler: Malack and Nale's Secret Origin
    Show
    Scene: Hallway outside Malack's room. Night.

Malack: -sigh- Finally away from the boors... Now hopefully I can complete that spell to hasten the siri- Oh. Nale left his dog here.

Malack pushes the dog away with his tail. 9 year old Nale walks around the corner just as Malack pushes the dog.

Nale: MALACK! Leave my puppy ALONE!

Nale attacks Malack futilely, eventually attempting to use his dog as an improvised weapon. The dog perishes quickly. Nale falls to his knees, holding his dog and sobbing.

Nale: You monster... You killed Rayray! I will never forgive you!

Nale runs into the night with his dog and a shovel. Malack looks after him, completely clueless as to what just happened.

End Scene.

No idea why that came to mind, but I cannot take the grudge seriously anymore...
    Quote Originally Posted by FidgetySquirrel View Post
    ...if this keeps up for much longer, half of the playground will have Orcus-themed sigs, which is probably how Orcus can appear in so many places to begin with. NOOOO! STOP SIGGING ORCU- *killed by Orcus*
    My Steam profile!

24. - Top - End - #54
    Titan in the Playground

Roy didn't personally insult Nale, though. By the time Roy had reason to hate Nale, Nale had already nearly killed Elan and destroyed the Order of the Stick. Roy's fighting back was natural at that point. Also, creepy stalker? Pompey was a fellow highschool student, and Julia was the Queen Bitch of the school; it wasn't capturing Hermionie Granger and giving her to that werewolf pedorapist.
    Pompey was a fellow student, who had made a habit of asking Julia out repeatedly despite her saying no, who was also involved in kidnapping her. I'm reasonably sure that counts as creepy stalker material - kidnapping is pretty unambiguous here.
    I would really like to see a game made by Obryn, Kurald Galain, and Knaight from these forums.

I'm not joking one bit. I would buy the hell out of that.
    -- ChubbyRain

Current Design Project: Legacy, a game of masters and apprentices for two players and a GM.

25. - Top - End - #55
    Orc in the Playground

granted, although I am going to be extremely disappointed with Rich if he goes beyond that one shot joke about the goblin with the good tasting gouda-blood, and turns different flavors into a whole thing vampires do.
    Yeah, it reminds me of this stupid thing I saw involving creatures that ate flesh. For some reason it wasn't enough that the lore established they ate the flesh of other creatures. They also had different preferences as to what creature the flesh came from and what part of the creature the flesh came from. In the more extreme cases, the flesh-eating creatures not only had preferences based on the diets of the creatures they were preying on, but even took into consideration the living conditions of their prey. Talk about turning flavor preferences up to 11! I mean jeez, just eat something. I don't care if it's a breast from a free-range chicken or a pork chop from a corn-fed pig. Get rid of your individuality and just eat plain old flesh! I swear, someone put way too much detail into the bestiary entry for humans.

Last edited by Cavenskull; 2014-07-22 at 02:28 AM.

26. - Top - End - #56
    Troll in the Playground

BlackDragon

Quote Originally Posted by Knaight View Post
    Pompey was a fellow student, who had made a habit of asking Julia out repeatedly despite her saying no, who was also involved in kidnapping her. I'm reasonably sure that counts as creepy stalker material - kidnapping is pretty unambiguous here.
    She was the most popular student at school, and he was the nerdy dweebenheimer. He's no more creepy than Neil Goldman from Family Guy (at least in the early years, when all the characters weren't made 10 times worse than they need to be). Heck, someone asking her out once a week for three semesters doesn't even count as narrowing it down in her book.

Kidnapping, I won't argue, since he was helping Nale by watching her. But creepy stalker, I think not. I know guys that have done much worse.

27. - Top - End - #57

Quote Originally Posted by orrion View Post
    I think that this favor from Tarquin may be him to close eyes on something that occured. Maybe to spare Miron or more likely to spare someone else.

Also, it occurred something like 8 years after they put in place their "two-man con". Maybe Tarquin helped Miron to preserve and empire or to get out of a nasty situation. An accident in the scheme resulting of a fight between nations that ended badly? Maybe because of Malack? (+ SPD? Maybe Nale hated SPD as well)

I don't believe it was because Nale was dominated or because he had to bury Malack's leftovers. Nale had no trouble dominating someone else or killing needlessly, doesn't seem to match.
    Posting from France
    Sorry for my accent.

Thanks to neoseph7 for my avatar (Allen Walker from D.Gray-Man)

28. - Top - End - #58
    Colossus in the Playground

She was the most popular student at school, and he was the nerdy dweebenheimer. He's no more creepy than Neil Goldman from Family Guy (at least in the early years, when all the characters weren't made 10 times worse than they need to be). Heck, someone asking her out once a week for three semesters doesn't even count as narrowing it down in her book.

Kidnapping, I won't argue, since he was helping Nale by watching her. But creepy stalker, I think not. I know guys that have done much worse.
    Dude, if you know anyone who's done equal to or worse than participating in kidnapping someone s/he was fixated on, that person is a creepy stalker, among other negative things.
    Last edited by Kish; 2014-07-22 at 07:53 AM.

29. - Top - End - #59
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Kish View Post
    Dude, if you know anyone who's done equal to or worse than participating in kidnapping someone s/he was fixated on, that person is a creepy stalker, among other negative things.
    Im pretty sure he was talking about worse than the fixating on the popular girl at school rather than the kidnapping part.

30. - Top - End - #60
    Titan in the Playground

Im pretty sure he was talking about worse than the fixating on the popular girl at school rather than the kidnapping part.
    Probably. That said, the kidnapping part is really a pretty integral part of the creepy stalker bit. Following Julia around repeatedly asking her out is intrusive, and it already does constitute stalking, but it's clearly something that Julia is used to and doesn't particularly worry about. Once kidnapping gets thrown in, the creepy stalker line is blown right past.
    I would really like to see a game made by Obryn, Kurald Galain, and Knaight from these forums.

I'm not joking one bit. I would buy the hell out of that.
    -- ChubbyRain

Current Design Project: Legacy, a game of masters and apprentices for two players and a GM.