New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 2 of 35 FirstFirst 12345678910111227 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Barbarian in the Playground

DwarfClericGuy

d6 Re: Dark Souls III: Witty Title Pending

Why start a new character, chainer1216? You can use a Soul Vessel to respec.
    70k souls is a lot to lose, but you'll lose more before the game's over.

On another note, noticed something interesting: shooting a bow with less than the stamina needed does proportionally less damage. The combat system in the game keeps astounding me with its depth.
    Now I'm thinking with ponies!

3DS friend code:
    2449-5207-9736

2. - Top - End - #32
    Bugbear in the Playground

Devil

Default Re: Dark Souls III: Witty Title Pending

i was having trouble getting a soul vessel, theres supposed to be one under the mansion, but because of the DLC it was changed into a murakumo, and i know you can get one when you get enough people into the hub town, but i really didn't want to wait till i found someone else to come into the town, this is my first play through and i have no idea when i'd get to another NPC.

in new news, my new character has surpassed my old character in level, she's at 91 now, and i'm dual wielding with a rapier in my right hand and the sun sword in my left hand, and this makes a surprisingly effective combo, when power stanceing i have the super fast R1's of the rapier, strong sweeping attacks with L1 and the ability to parry with R2 which i seem to be much better at in this game and/or this way. all in all i'm pretty happy right now.

3. - Top - End - #33
    Titan in the Playground

Sword and board knights are perfectly workable builds in this game. Probably not too good in pvp, but:
    1. Skills are more important than build in pvp. A good build won't help you if you don't pvp routinely, and if you're good at pvp, you'll be able to beat people even if your build is highly suboptimal.
    2. Aside from the three invasion-crazy areas (two of which are completely optional for a reason), you can play most of the game without bothering with pvp. I personally don't care about it anymore.

Siela Tempo by the talented Kasanip. Tengu by myself.
    Spoiler
    Show

4. - Top - End - #34
    Ettin in the Playground

Unless of course your build happens to be a bull**** level 300+ Gyrm/smelterhavel monster with Ironclad torso/Gowers, Sacred Oath, GMB and Numbness lasting for days. You'd have to be pretty damn incompetent not to win with that pretty much all the time except against other havelmonsters.

5. - Top - End - #35
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Jak View Post
    Hey, just found this thread.

For the list...

ThePompdAvenger / 360

Anyone very familiar with the pyromancies? I've been tossing around the idea of a pure pyro build.
    Added to the table, sorry for the delay, I haven't had a decent internet connection for a few days now.
    Just call me Dusk

Dming: Eyes of the Lich Queen IC OOC

6. - Top - End - #36

So, since Faith got seriously nerfed/glitched and my Lightning Defender's Greatsword is now doing significantly less damage, I've decided to respec from my 'Paladin' build to a Quality Build until it's fixed (unless I start enjoying Quality better, then I may just keep it). I'm probably going to go with the Claymore for my main weapon, until I can find a better Quality weapon to swing around (Suggestions, anyone?), but I need some advice on stats. I'm around SL175, so the stat distro I was looking at, with my base being cleric are below:

Vig: 34
    End 30
    Vit 32
    Att 10
    Str 40
    Dex 35
    Adp 31
    Int 4
    Fth 12

How's this sound to those of you who are a bit more savvy on the stat side of things? For rings I'm thinking RoB+1 (I'm still in NG), Royal Soldier's +1, 3rd Dragon, and the fourth slot will be swapped depending on circumstance (cat ring, binding, so on) unless someone else can suggest a good permanent 4th ring for this build.

Armour will probably end up being at least partially Havel's, since I'm only PvE (no net) and don't feel too bad about cheesing my gear.

All I ever wanted was to pick apart the day, put the pieces back together my way - Aesop Rock "Daylight"

My PAD Herder (it's mostly up-to-date... mostly)

7. - Top - End - #37

DwarfClericGuy

So, just to be sure, can I play cross platform with my friend? (PS3/PC) Are there ways to guarantee a match (other than matching Name-Engraving Rings and similar soul memory?)

3DS friend code:
    2449-5207-9736

8. - Top - End - #38
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by SKarious View Post
    So, just to be sure, can I play cross platform with my friend? (PS3/PC) Are there ways to guarantee a match (other than matching Name-Engraving Rings and similar soul memory?)
    Playing cross platform is not possible. I don't think that any games exist at all where that is possible. Maybe Diablo 3?

9. - Top - End - #39
    Ettin in the Playground

Raw Darkdrift joins my list of favourite weapons; with the recent (and completely unwarranted) buff to the katanas its base damage is higher than even the Chaos Blade's and with Raw, it only gets better, to say nothing of its shield penetration abilities; a very sick weapon at 410+ AR prebuff when backed by Flynn/RoB. My only issue with it is the relatively anemic poise damage, but it can interrupt most enemies when two-handed and I do keep Drakekeeper's/BDS and Puzzling Stone Sword on standby for that.

Also digging Raw/Mundane Thief Knives backed by RoB+2 and Flynn's for their speed and surprising damage.

Build I'm currently favouring: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/...1UjcxNWc#gid=6

I actually like it more than my melee Faith; super mobile/evasive with stamina and stamina regen for days and an answer to just about anything. Using Warmth and Monastery Scimitar + Raw Malformed Skull hard swap ripostes for nearly guaranteed one shots, it can even deal with gank squads assuming they're not comprised of OLed havelmonsters.

10. - Top - End - #40

Quote Originally Posted by Murmaider View Post
    Playing cross platform is not possible. I don't think that any games exist at all where that is possible. Maybe Diablo 3?
    Final fantasy 14 allowed cross platform with computers and ps3. Xbox could have done it as well but decides not to, which is why FF14 isn't on Xbox. So yes it is possible just not implemented as often as it should be.
    Sir Dan Avatar by Mrgone!

11. - Top - End - #41
    Titan in the Playground

Raw Darkdrift, huh? I'll tell my little bro. He has a pair of them because he thinks they are cool as hell.
    Avatar of Rudisplork Avatar of PC-dom and Slayer of the Internet. Extended sig
    GitP Regulars as: Vestiges Spells Weapons Races Deities Feats Soulmelds/Veils
    Quote Originally Posted by Darrin View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Snowbluff View Post
    All gaming systems should be terribly flawed and exploitable if you want everyone to be happy with them. This allows for a wide variety of power levels for games for different levels of players.
    I dub this the Snowbluff Axiom.

12. - Top - End - #42
    Dwarf in the Playground

BardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Surrealistik View Post
    Yeah, as PvE weapons go the mace is pretty solid; total **** if you ever get invaded though.

Honestly, it's been a long time since I've bothered with PvE in earnest; I just use trainers to set everything's HP to 1 now when I'm creating on a new build because I'm more than sick of it at this point.

Try something like this: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/...VcS0xR1E#gid=0

Use Great Combustion in melee and vs parry spammers. When you knock someone down, cast Great Combustion as they start to get up. Also great for precasting vs people rolling at you due to lingering hitbox, though you have to get your timing down.

Though Great Fireball tracking has improved, learn how to free aim in order to catch opponents off-guard by throwing it at your feet or where they're about to be; predictive aiming will make them very deadly.

Lingering Flame is great for setting traps around corners or getting meleers off your nuts as you hurl fireballs/shoot arrows at them.

Buffed Drakekeeper's Sword shreks people in melee. Remember to 2-hand it vs heavy armour to reliably break their poise.

During invasions consider dropping a Great Fireball/Fire Whip for a Great Heal or Warmth.
    Thanks, bro, this helps a lot. =)

13. - Top - End - #43
    Troll in the Playground

Finally got around to finishing the DLC.

I've got to say, the bosses themselves were a lot easier than fighting my to them was.

On the plus side, everything being resistant to magic prompted me to finally try out that dual-wielding Blue Flames build I wanted. Worked well enough and any loss of efficiency was more than made up for in style.
    Friend Code: 4656 - 7046 - 4968
    Gamertag: Taejix
    Tumblr: http://taejix.tumblr.com/

14. - Top - End - #44
    Dwarf in the Playground

BardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by JabberwockySupafly View Post
    I'm probably going to go with the Claymore for my main weapon, until I can find a better Quality weapon to swing around (Suggestions, anyone?)
    The Drangliec Sword can be found by dropping off one of the ledges after the Pursuer boss fight in Forest of Fallen Giants. It has less base damage than the claymore, but A scaling in Dex, and C scaling in strength, and I think it's faster, too, but with less reach. The one handed move set is really nice IMO, but if you're two handing it, I wouldn't bother. I've been using it with my pyromancer and one or two hit most enemies up until the last sinner. Only thing is that it upgrades with twinkling.

I've heard the claymore is really good though, I'm going to give it a few swings once I get to it.

15. - Top - End - #45

Devil

holy balls F*** the iron keep, and specifically the smelter demon.

3 times in a row i took 2 sunbros with me into the fight, and three times in a row it wrecked us. and thats not even mentioning the times i fought it alone with an NPC summon, i have never had this much trouble in dark souls before.

16. - Top - End - #46
    Titan in the Playground

That fight is optional.
    All gaming systems should be terribly flawed and exploitable if you want everyone to be happy with them. This allows for a wide variety of power levels for games for different levels of players.

17. - Top - End - #47
    Ettin in the Playground

So apparently the Foot Soldier Sword deals 25 poise damage, which is awesome; since the last patch's buff to its damage, this has become a viable poise break option, and at only 2 weight too with a great moveset.

A very unexpected gem of a weapon.

18. - Top - End - #48

DwarfClericGuy

furious Re: Dark Souls III: Witty Title Pending

Yeah, seriously. #$%^ the Smelter Demon.I think it's the hardest fight of the game. I still have to beat that guy solo.
    It may be optional, but it comes after a very annoying and long part, and there's another very annoying part right after it. Plus, if you skip it, you miss out on a cool ring.
    The only tips I have is to keep a cool head, don't get greedy with your retaliation, and if you see him thrust his sword in the ground - RUN AWAY!
    Does anyone have more tips?

3DS friend code:
    2449-5207-9736

19. - Top - End - #49
    Ettin in the Playground

http://darksouls2.wikidot.com/smelter-demon

You can basically just poison him and be an evasive **** until he dies; will take 6 approximately applications of poison, less if those applications happen to be toxic (about 5 toxic applications). Probably as easy mode as you're going to get.

Note that you can both poison and toxic the smelter demon at the same time.

20. - Top - End - #50
    Ettin in the Playground

For those who aren't yet aware, you can backstep cancel out of the recovery/reload anims for crossbows/bows by doing so immediately after shooting; useful for comboing into melee attacks. Also gets lots of mileage out of the crossbow shields for obvious reasons.

21. - Top - End - #51

Devil

welp, after dying a bunch more times i finally was able to get his moveset down and beat the smelter demon, and then went on to beat the iron king with no problems....other than the very first time i fought him, i was immediately punched into a pool of lava, which was embarrassing. from there i sort of meandered around, fought the rat vanguard a few times and lost, fought the scorpion lady and won, fought the proweling magus and his horde a few times and lost, fought the royal rat athority once where i was quickly overwhelmed by the adds.

turns out i don't do horde fights very well, i guess that should be expected when i use two relatively short swords.

its also occurred to me that this game has a huge amount of bosses, which is pretty cool. i've been saving all my boss souls in the hopes of finding somebody on various message boards who might be willing to trade their Sun Sword, and i'm sitting on 14 of the dang things.

22. - Top - End - #52
    Titan in the Playground

Yeah, I've been having issues getting around groups of dudes in the DLC. I haven't had a lot of time, so I guess I can shoot the glowy thingies by the first pack to break LoE/LoS on the archers to make it go by more easily.

23. - Top - End - #53

Tips for Smelter: Wear a Gyrm Greatshield and attack after he does.
    Sir Dan Avatar by Mrgone!

24. - Top - End - #54
    Ettin in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Yeah, I've been having issues getting around groups of dudes in the DLC. I haven't had a lot of time, so I guess I can shoot the glowy thingies by the first pack to break LoE/LoS on the archers to make it go by more easily.
    Yeah, shooting those makes that whole area a lot easier.

The other thing I've found works is running up and waking up the sleeping ones or getting the archers to draw their swords, and then retreating around a corner and taking them out one at a time.

25. - Top - End - #55

26. - Top - End - #56
    Ettin in the Playground

Funny, but I don't recognize the sword.
    I've started streaming again.

78% of DM's started their first campaign in a tavern. If you're one of the 22% that didn't, copy and paste this into your signature.

I started my first campaign outside of an abandoned mine, just as soon as a meteor storm from the moon hits.

27. - Top - End - #57
    Titan in the Playground

Melu Scimitar with Resonant Weapon. Not because they will do damage with it, but because they are sure you'll attack in 90 seconds.

28. - Top - End - #58
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by TechnOkami View Post
    Monastery Scimitar ofc.

29. - Top - End - #59

Quote Originally Posted by TechnOkami View Post