New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 7 of 24 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #181
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: What was your worst DM ever? This thread is impervious - roll to disbelieve!

Quote Originally Posted by Mikeavelli View Post
    From the story I'm reading, it started not because the DM was intentionally changing things up, but because the DM didn't actually know the rules, and was making stuff up, then got upset when the players were confused and started questioning him. This is different from understanding the system, and changing things to intentionally mix it up.

Good on him for at least making it consistent, but if this little snapshot is typical of his DM'ing, I'm not at all surprised the players eventually left.
    Well he changed the rules, whether he had understood them originally becomes less relevant later on, because they had changed after that point.
    My Avatar is Glimtwizzle, a Gnomish Fighter/Illusionist by Cuthalion.

2. - Top - End - #182
    Bugbear in the Playground

BardGuy

Default Re: What was your worst DM ever? This thread is impervious - roll to disbelieve!

Quote Originally Posted by Dire_Stirge View Post
    They can still hack at it, thereby damaging it to the point where the wizard can walk up to it and kill it with a torch. The difference between fighting a troll and fighting anything else is just that someone else will have to deal the killing blow. No big deal.
    Nope. Nonlethal damage builds up. Lethal damage is what reduces HP. All the melee-types can do is run up the nonlethal damage until it exceeds the troll's current HP, at which point it falls unconscious. The wizard would still have to reduce it's current HP to lethal levels to kill it. All melee-types are in a fight with a troll is a way to keep it unconscious until someone with fire or acid can whittle away it's HP.
    See my Extended Signature for my list of silly shenanigans.

Anyone is welcome to use or critique my 3.5 Fighter homebrew: The Vanguard.

I am a Dungeon Master for Hire that creates custom content for people and programs d20 content for the HeroLab character system. Please donate to my Patreon and visit the HeroLab forums.

3. - Top - End - #183
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by illyahr View Post
    Nope. Nonlethal damage builds up. Lethal damage is what reduces HP. All the melee-types can do is run up the nonlethal damage until it exceeds the troll's current HP, at which point it falls unconscious. The wizard would still have to reduce it's current HP to lethal levels to kill it. All melee-types are in a fight with a troll is a way to keep it unconscious until someone with fire or acid can whittle away it's HP.
    Er... No. The rules say:

A regenerating creature that has been rendered unconscious through nonlethal damage can be killed with a coup de grace.
    So basically, once Trolly McTroll is taken down by the fighter, all it takes is a little torch to kill him.
    Creator of the LA-assignment thread.

Come join the new Junkyard Wars and build with SLAs and a breath weapon!

Interested in judging a build competition on the 3.5 forums but not sure where to begin? Check out the judging handbook!

Extended signature!

4. - Top - End - #184
    Ogre in the Playground

My group runs with the rule that any weapon can coup de grace a troll. Not sure if that's RAW or not. We figured the troll wouldn't regenerate much with its head chopped off though.

5. - Top - End - #185

Nope

Certain attack forms, typically fire and acid, deal damage to the creature normally; that sort of damage doesn’t convert to nonlethal damage and so doesn’t go away. The creature’s description includes the details. A regenerating creature that has been rendered unconscious through nonlethal damage can be killed with a coup de grace. The attack cannot be of a type that automatically converts to nonlethal damage.
    Just takes one full-round action, you don't have to whittle its hp away.
    Last edited by Mikeavelli; 2014-08-21 at 03:55 PM.
    If RPG's have taught me anything, it's that all social and economic problems of the world can be solved through murder.

6. - Top - End - #186
    Ettin in the Playground

Nope

Just takes one full-round action, you don't have to whittle its hp away.
    You can't coup de grace with a spell.. Under most circumstances

7. - Top - End - #187
    Troll in the Playground

Flumph

Doesn't really matter. Once the troll is unconscious, actually killing it is a formality, as long as anyone has any source of fire/acid.

8. - Top - End - #188

Griffon

Quote Originally Posted by icefractal View Post
    Doesn't really matter. Once the troll is unconscious, actually killing it is a formality, as long as anyone has any source of fire/acid.
    Worst case scenario, you could probably just induce some vomiting all over the unconscious troll.

9. - Top - End - #189
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by icefractal View Post
    Not if it can regenerate before that point or has back up. If all you've got is acid splash and it's got a lot of HD you might still have to fight it a few times, or it might get back up. Or it could even fake it's death and then come back after. I mean Trolls have huge con modifiers they can hold their breath a long time.

10. - Top - End - #190

Not all spells can be used to Coup de Grace, but Acid Splash is specifically one of the ones that can be used to do so. disregard that, I was under the impression any touch attack would work. There's apparently some disagreement on whether weaponlike spells actually count as weapons for the purpose of coup de grace.

Even if that's not present, I don't think I've ever been in a party that lacked a torch.
    Last edited by Mikeavelli; 2014-08-21 at 06:25 PM.
    If RPG's have taught me anything, it's that all social and economic problems of the world can be solved through murder.

11. - Top - End - #191
    Ettin in the Playground

Not all spells can be used to Coup de Grace, but Acid Splash is specifically one of the ones that can be used to do so. disregard that, I was under the impression any touch attack would work. There's apparently some disagreement on whether weaponlike spells actually count as weapons for the purpose of coup de grace.

Even if that's not present, I don't think I've ever been in a party that lacked a torch.
    A torch does 1d3 damage, that makes it a maximum of 6 + twice strength mod on a crit. Since it's light. You've been doing nonlethal to the troll. It has still all of it's snazzy hitpoints or might be able to regenerate them almost as fast as you can bring them down.

A Coup De Grace isn't tantamount to an isnta-kill, it just generally is.
    Last edited by AMFV; 2014-08-21 at 06:40 PM.

12. - Top - End - #192
    Barbarian in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by AMFV View Post
    A torch does 1d3 damage, that makes it a maximum of 6 + twice strength mod on a crit. Since it's light. You've been doing nonlethal to the troll. It has still all of it's snazzy hitpoints or might be able to regenerate them almost as fast as you can bring them down.

A Coup De Grace isn't tantamount to an isnta-kill, it just generally is.
    What's important in a Coup de Grace isn't just the auto-crit - it's forcing the fort save vs death.
    And so, my children, the time has come to close the book. There will be other days and other stories, but this tale is finished.

Spoiler
    Show

13. - Top - End - #193
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Hexalan View Post
    What's important in a Coup de Grace isn't just the auto-crit - it's forcing the fort save vs death.
    Which Trolls happen to be very, very, very good at making.

14. - Top - End - #194

SwashbucklerGuy

Fortunately unconscious trolls aren't as good at rolling saves vs. being doused in oil and set on fire.
    Last edited by Milodiah; 2014-08-21 at 06:58 PM.

15. - Top - End - #195
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Milodiah View Post
    Fortunately unconscious trolls aren't as good at rolling saves vs. being doused in oil and set on fire.
    True, although to be fair that's not actually a save, and immolation doesn't actually do that much damage.

16. - Top - End - #196
    Troll in the Playground

Flumph

Unless the warrior in question died immediately after taking down the troll, they can simply pound on it for a few rounds and make sure it's so far into negatives it won't wake up before it finishes cooking.

What is even the point of this sidebar anyway? Whether melee characters should go sit on the sidelines when a Troll shows up? If so, definitely not. We're not talking about a golem situation here (not that most casters are even stymied by a golem, for that matter).
    Last edited by icefractal; 2014-08-21 at 07:03 PM.

17. - Top - End - #197
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by AMFV View Post
    Not if it can regenerate before that point or has back up. If all you've got is acid splash and it's got a lot of HD you might still have to fight it a few times, or it might get back up. Or it could even fake it's death and then come back after. I mean Trolls have huge con modifiers they can hold their breath a long time.
    It might get back up? Why did the fighter and barbarian stop hacking it just because it fell over?

18. - Top - End - #198
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Kornaki View Post
    It might get back up? Why did the fighter and barbarian stop hacking it just because it fell over?
    Because of the three other trolls attacking them?

19. - Top - End - #199
    Titan in the Playground

Okay, I did not intend to start a page-long discussion over whether or not trolls are unfair for melee people and how you should deal with a troll problem in your basement.

People, please use this thread what is is meant for. Troll discussions should probably be continued in a separate thread.
    Creator of the LA-assignment thread.

Come join the new Junkyard Wars and build with SLAs and a breath weapon!

Interested in judging a build competition on the 3.5 forums but not sure where to begin? Check out the judging handbook!

Extended signature!

20. - Top - End - #200
    Orc in the Playground

My two worst experiences:

1) Guy was running an old school-esque rpg. The party was the equivalent of 2 rogues and an enchanter (me). We walk into the room of dungeon and find a bunch of urns and a few are broken and empty. I open and look inside one and a small black ooze attacks me. We quickly determine that only fire can harm it and only one of the rogues was holding a torch. By sheer luck, he had enough unlit torches for the rest of us, we light 'em and surround the ooze. After about 3~4 rounds of us wailing on it with lit torches, barely bringing it down to half HP and us being brought down to half health as well, the DM says "Oh this is looking too easy for you guys" and had the mindless creature use tactics. It moved past us and smashed one of the other urns which also had a similar ooze in it. They both combine into a bigger ooze and to our dismay, we found out it could very reliably hit and one-shot each one each of us. TPK.

2) This one was a skype game. Not that the game itself was bad, just I had other circumstances that kept me from continuing it. The guy running it had a bit of a swearing problem and even admitted that he purposely acted like **** to other people to see if they would stay committed to the game in question. He said that it was because they kept having players come in and drop and he wanted to make sure the new guys coming in would stay. I don't care how much you've been burned by people dropping from a game, acting like a jerk-off to see if people will put up with it and stay is not how you should recruit people. My circumstances kept me from staying, but with the personality I saw I don't think I would have wanted to.
    Spoiler
    Show
    My Characters:
    Inactive:

Homebrew I'm using:

Awesome Varsuvius Avatar by Elagune

21. - Top - End - #201
    Spamalot in the Playground

The last Shadowrun 4e campaign I played in started out as advertised, but there's one tiny little adjustment-- the GM added a little AA company called 'KOCP' (Kaiba Omni-Consumer Products). The GM liked to act-out little dark humor commercials in the vein of the ones from Robocop during downtime. It was okay for a while since some of them were rather funny. Then the GM introduced the 'Mark I Dragon Mech'. It was an 8-foot tall robot stuffed with weapons and available for public sale.

Eventually we got attacked by one in a club fight (that we weren't even a party to) and it killed one of our contacts that was trying to get us a job. It took a lot of weaponry to bring it down, but hey, we managed to collect most of it's components before we ran off. Free stuff right? Nope. All the weapons and equipment on it 'self destruct' when the robot is destroyed, making it the most useless paperweight in Seattle. We sold the metal for scrap. Later on we acquired enough money together to buy one of these dragon robots. Hey, let's buy one and have some fun with it.

Nope.

The GM wouldn't let us buy one without a huge number of restrictions (can't use it in public even though we've seen 3 of them, can't modify it or it self-destructs, can't reprogram it, etc.) Okay, whatever, we dropped the idea and moved on. We look for new work, but the GM interrupts us with news that KOCP is now a AAA megacorp. That's nice, we're not interested in knowing about that, we're looking to find work. Ah, but we can't ignore this! See, KOCP built a new drone, the Robocop! Now Lonestar was replaced by machines that we couldn't damage at all, nor reason with (The team rigger was killed by one for double parking). Then next session the GM starts by informing us that KOCP bought out Ares, Horizon, and Wuxing. Oh, and they fired a nuke at Zurich Orbital, so the corporate court has been destroyed. KOCP now owns North America and plans on reuniting it under one flag. The NAN are totally okay with this.

Wha...?

So, by the 4th session this game went from the standard gritty cuberpunk future to one really ham-fisted fanfic about some little company that took over a continent by selling death traps publicly. We only managed to get about half-way through the 4th session before we all got up and quit (we waited for the GM to use the bathroom and then we packed up and left). Haven't heard from him since.
    Last edited by DigoDragon; 2014-08-26 at 09:43 AM.
    Digo Dragon - Artist
    D&D 5e Homebrew: My Little Pony Races

22. - Top - End - #202

BlueKnightGuy

Ya know Digo, with all your stories, quotes and the general light-heartedness I get the feeling of from your games, I have a hard time believing your group could of ever had a bad DM. And now I believe it.

Also, I love your avatar. Just throwin that out there.
    Check out my Campaign World, Hiltmarch
    http://www.obsidianportal.com/campai...ikis/main-page

Quote Originally Posted by Shining Wrath View Post
    Somewhere, Conan the Barbarian refuses to weep, and instead curses Crom for permitting WotC to botch his class so badly.

23. - Top - End - #203
    Colossus in the Playground

While I certainly do not blame you for up and leaving when it got that painfully bad (really, the DMPC was just a corporpation, here), it's a little bad to leave while the DM's using the restroom rather than telling him, "hey, this just isn't working, so we don't want to play this game anymore." I mean, I know it's awkward and feels mean, but it's still better to tell him to his face. Maybe explain why, especially if he asks.

24. - Top - End - #204
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by DigoDragon View Post
    'KOCP' (Kaiba Omni-Consumer Products)
    To me, the worst part of this story was the utter lack of references to trading card games.

...Or maybe that was the GM's plan all along, and if you stayed he'd have finished turning Shadowrun into Yu-Gi-Oh! 5D's.
    Revan avatar by kaptainkrutch.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cirrylius View Post
    That's how wizards beta test their new animals. If it survives Australia, it's a go. Which in hindsight explains a LOT about Australia.

25. - Top - End - #205

Goblin

Quote Originally Posted by Sith_Happens View Post
    To me, the worst part of this story was the utter lack of references to trading card games.

...Or maybe that was the GM's plan all along, and if you stayed he'd have finished turning Shadowrun into Yu-Gi-Oh! 5D's.
    The corp DID have an inexplicable dragon fixation.

Were the dragon mechs white?

EDIT: Did the corp screw the rules, because they had money?
    Last edited by Flashy; 2014-08-26 at 01:24 PM.

26. - Top - End - #206
    Halfling in the Playground

RogueGuy

Quote Originally Posted by JerichoPenumbra View Post
    My two worst experiences:

1) Guy was running an old school-esque rpg. The party was the equivalent of 2 rogues and an enchanter (me). We walk into the room of dungeon and find a bunch of urns and a few are broken and empty. I open and look inside one and a small black ooze attacks me. We quickly determine that only fire can harm it and only one of the rogues was holding a torch. By sheer luck, he had enough unlit torches for the rest of us, we light 'em and surround the ooze. After about 3~4 rounds of us wailing on it with lit torches, barely bringing it down to half HP and us being brought down to half health as well, the DM says "Oh this is looking too easy for you guys" and had the mindless creature use tactics. It moved past us and smashed one of the other urns which also had a similar ooze in it. They both combine into a bigger ooze and to our dismay, we found out it could very reliably hit and one-shot each one each of us. TPK.

2) This one was a skype game. Not that the game itself was bad, just I had other circumstances that kept me from continuing it. The guy running it had a bit of a swearing problem and even admitted that he purposely acted like **** to other people to see if they would stay committed to the game in question. He said that it was because they kept having players come in and drop and he wanted to make sure the new guys coming in would stay. I don't care how much you've been burned by people dropping from a game, acting like a jerk-off to see if people will put up with it and stay is not how you should recruit people. My circumstances kept me from staying, but with the personality I saw I don't think I would have wanted to.
    [sarcasm]Wow, I wonder why?[/sarcasm]

27. - Top - End - #207
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Flashy View Post
    All corps in Shadowrun do that.
    Revan avatar by kaptainkrutch.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cirrylius View Post
    That's how wizards beta test their new animals. If it survives Australia, it's a go. Which in hindsight explains a LOT about Australia.

28. - Top - End - #208
    Barbarian in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

But did KOCP deposit a copyright for said maneuver?
    I'm here to kick ass and call you names... And I'm not very witty.

29. - Top - End - #209

Zombie

My worst, compared to some of the others, isn't awful, just kinda bad. Possibly the oft-heard tale of the uber DMPC that proceeds to railroad the party when we get a little off track in our wanderings, but still proceeding to the goal otherwise, combined with a player that was just... not meant for this type of group, to say the least. It didn't last too long after social drama OOC started to get in the game from a few (there were 7 players and the DM, it was a big game) of them and just ruin what could have been a better campaign. A couple of the people were super creative and awesome to play with and created, for us, memorable characters that my wife and I still talk about some 8 years later.

Not awful, but its too bad about losing contact with some of the players after the fact for the same OOC drama. I think it would have lasted otherwise, even with railroading, if only to hear what a couple of them could come up with to make the DM **** a brick now and then. Sometimes it was worth it just to nag him/his DMPC.
    My opinion and a dollar will get you a cup of coffee at the 7/11, most others want the dollar too :P

Steam ID: blacklight101

78% of DM's started their first campaign in a tavern. If you're one of the 22% that didn't, copy and paste this into your signature.

Where did you start yours?
    At an observation deck at Port Wander, seeing his ship for the first time and being introduced to the bridge crew/away team that he hired before arriving.

30. - Top - End - #210
    Spamalot in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by lytokk View Post
    Ya know Digo, with all your stories, quotes and the general light-heartedness I get the feeling of from your games, I have a hard time believing your group could of ever had a bad DM. And now I believe it.
    Also, I love your avatar. Just throwin that out there.
    I been participating in tabletop RPGs since... 1994-95 I want to say. Under the years of fond memories and hilariousness, there are a few blemishes.

And thanks. :3

Quote Originally Posted by Segev View Post
    While I certainly do not blame you for up and leaving when it got that painfully bad (really, the DMPC was just a corporpation, here), it's a little bad to leave while the DM's using the restroom rather than telling him, "hey, this just isn't working, so we don't want to play this game anymore." I mean, I know it's awkward and feels mean, but it's still better to tell him to his face. Maybe explain why, especially if he asks.
    This is true, and I don't recommend to anyone that they should copy that stunt because I fully admit it's a jerk-move we pulled (even if some of us didn't know that GM for very long).

If that was the case, maybe it was good we quit and not tried to stick around longer. I'm terrible at children's card games. XD

The corp DID have an inexplicable dragon fixation.

Were the dragon mechs white?
    They were... silver I think?

Yes, but this one had the money to screw meta rules!
    That's a corp you don't mess with.
    Digo Dragon - Artist
    D&D 5e Homebrew: My Little Pony Races