New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 9 of 50 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617181934 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #241
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default Re: Mythos Homebrew Discussion II: Where Simplicity Goes to Die

Quote Originally Posted by JKTrickster View Post
    I think it would be better as an Excellency.

Honestly Mythos should be building blocks for stories. Weapon styles or armor styles or actions that couldn't be taken otherwise.

This is basically Weapon Finesse+ - mainly passive bonuses and a random Improved Feint (which has nothing to do with Dex mechanically)
    yeah, this was pretty much my original intent. i upped it to full mythos because of its power level, but i can definitely tone it down to an excellency again. the feint manifestation was for variety in manifestations.

Be Nimble, Be Quick

Req: Weapon Finesse

A Bellator can only benefit from this Excellency as long as their Dex is 4 points higher than Str (or something like that)

With any weapons that Bellator can apply Weapon Finesse to, it can also add Dex to damage.

Furthermore, for all Saving Throw DCs or Skill Checks based on Strength, Bellator can substitute their Dex mod instead.
    hmm. the name seems a bit boring, but i like this otherwise. i think i'll take this and just expand the field of available weapons.

I think that's enough. Allowing Dex to replace Stre ENTIRELY would be broken.

A Str based Bellator still wants 18 Dex (give or take, esp if they want Lightning and Wind Execution). A Dex based Bellator would never need Str, ever. And that would get worse if you allowed it to replace Str for other Mythos. Then Dex would be TOO strong.
    hence my worry . thanks for pushing me off the fence on that.
    avatardonebymememememememememeeeeeeeeeee

Julian, it's a hungry world
    They're gonna eat you alive son, yeah
    Oh Julian, when their fangs sink in
    I'll stitch you but then I gotta throw you back in

Quote Originally Posted by INoKnowNames View Post
    .... what the **** is that?! That's not a spiked chain; that's some Klingon bullcrap! Who the hell drew that?! How are you supposed to use that without stabbing yourself?!

2. - Top - End - #242
    Bugbear in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

Oh yeah please change the name - I'm so terrible with names, it isn't even funny

The main reason for not depending on Dex entirely is metagame reasons. Dex is already a rather strong stat - it provides a bonus to AC, Init, Reflex Saves, and multiple Skills.

It's not exactly useless. Even a Str based Bellator wants to take the Cross Training Regimen Excellency to make sure his Dex is around 18.

But Strength? If you don't need it, you REALLY don't need it. Aside from carrying capacity and melee attack/damage rolls and Str checks....what do you REALLY use it for?

The Strength skills aren't as popular as the Dexterity skills either.

But yeah I think the flavor matches an Excellency better. It's equal too: Str based Bellators are more direct, but have two Excellencies to reduce Stat points needed. Dex based Bellators might be slightly harder to build, but only need one Excellency (on the other hand, still need a good Con). So it's more balanced that way.

3. - Top - End - #243

agree with all of the above. i think i can probably call it finished now.

anyway now the real reason i'm posting.
    @xefas, i was wondring if you might consider posting links to the discussion forums and the collaborated mythos document in the pages for the mythos classes. i figure people new to the system might want to know right off the bat that there are a bunch of extra mythos available to them.
    Last edited by commander panda; 2014-09-22 at 02:53 PM.

.... what the **** is that?! That's not a spiked chain; that's some Klingon bullcrap! Who the hell drew that?! How are you supposed to use that without stabbing yourself?!

4. - Top - End - #244
    Troll in the Playground

I've added links to both discussion threads to all my Mythos class threads. The Random Mythos Document can then be reached via the first posts therein.

I've also made some alterations and additions to the class features and Mythos for the Kathodos, if anyone is interested. Some removed Mythos will be returning later. For best results, let go your earthly tether and enter the void before reading.

5. - Top - End - #245
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Xefas View Post
    I've also made some alterations and additions to the class features and Mythos for the Kathodos, if anyone is interested. Some removed Mythos will be returning later. For best results, let go your earthly tether and enter the void before reading.
    I... I think I'm in love. Bless you, sir. Bless you.

6. - Top - End - #246

Can we have a changelog?

7. - Top - End - #247

Quote Originally Posted by Tempestfury View Post
    Can we have a changelog?
    seconded. i dont know what's different.

8. - Top - End - #248
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Tempestfury View Post
    Can we have a changelog?
    Class Features
    -Flow of Energy no longer requires that all Kathodos Mythos must be either [Internal] or [External]
    -[External] Mythos functionality completed reworked
    -Flow of Energy now provides new bonuses at 3rd, 5th, and 7th level
    -Precision Philosophy added

Mythos
    -The following Mythos were removed (some temporarily): Coursing Riverwalker Swiftness, Ether-Crown Illumination, Fulminatory Lightning Epiphany, Geomantic Worldbender Assumption, Harrowing Ice Epiphany, White-Hot Ember Stoking Rage, Wrathful Dragon-Shot, A Million Little Gods, Changing Seasons Kata, Overwhelming Dragon-Suspire, Steam-and-Dust Showdown, Sun-and-Sky Union, Descrying The Lifestream, Martial Agility Training, Uncompromising Strife-Cutting Intellect

-The following Mythos were added: At Home In This World, Blossoming Incarnum Inheritance, Land-Strike Wrath, Ley-Channeling Shamanism Practices, Meditating On The Elements, Omphalic Monument Skin, Cosmic Yang Epiphany, Cosmic Yin Epiphany, Dualistic Paraelemental Understanding, Flowing Incarnum Inheritance, Negative Quasielemental Understanding, Positive Quasielemental Understanding, Tumultuous Geokinema Assault, Wandering The Omphalos, Elemental Servant-Will Sublimation, Sojourner Of A Thousand Lives Shintai, Surging Incarnum Inheritance, Eminent Incarnum Inheritance, Essence Fracture, Terrestrial Disaster Incarnation, [Ability] Beyond Mortal Seeming, Sea-of-Chi Understanding

-Sought By Nature's Chaperon is now Exceptional, down from Fantastic
    -Elemental-Fisted Pugilist Style had its advanced manifestation, Storm-Fist Technique, removed, and most of its effects combined into the base Mythos
    -Land-Forged Geomach Arsenal completely reworked
    -Wind-Fire Sky Stride reworked

Paladin
    -Hammer of Justice now stuns for 45 seconds, down from 2 weeks

9. - Top - End - #249
    Ogre in the Playground

Looking at the new beatific Kathodos, I find that quite a few of its new Mythos make some of my homebrew-of-a-homebrew additions defunct. I don't consider this a bad thing, because in all honestly many of the Kathodos Mythos I've created have been a mess of poor mechanics and even poorer fluff. In all honestly, I'm happy that my stuff like Claiming Life's Heart got a canon brother like Essence Fracture. It warms my heart to know that, even if my interpretations were somewhat clumsy, I was still drinking from the same metaphorical punchbowl as our glorious white-furred leader.

Also, Terrestrial Disaster Incarnation is the most epic Exalted Mythos I've yet laid eyes on. It's just wonderful, in every possible way.

10. - Top - End - #250

wow... well i definitely find these new mythos really interesting. the exalted stuff are both amazing.

with this new influx of mythos, and the possibility that many of the removed ones will come back, do you think the kathodos will soon be approaching playability?

11. - Top - End - #251

Can I formally suggest we standardize how Mythos are referenced? Xefas uses quotes instead of italics; I recommend sticking with that precedent, and add that specific manifestations are added in parenthesis. Result should resemble spellcard nomenclature if you want a specific manifestation called on, for example: "Incarnadine Hell-Furnace Atrocity (Vengeful Hellhound Prana)." If you don't want any particular manifestation, you need only the name of the Mythos, and if you need multiple manifestations, it would be, say, "Retribution Will Follow (any two Basic Manifestations)."

No particular reason, I just like having uniform formatting.

12. - Top - End - #252
    Ettin in the Playground

I would personally prefer italics from a typographical standpoint; it's easier on the eyes, and easier to notice when scanning (and follows the hierarchy of weights). I'd actually really prefer smallcaps, but that would be a hassle to use.

Here's a nice page with information on the progression of weight with regards to typography.

Speaking of which... someone, incorporate typography into a Mythos class. I dare you.
    Quote Originally Posted by segtrfyhtfgj View Post
    door is a fake exterior wall
    If you see me try to discuss the nitty-gritty of D&D 5e, kindly point me to my signature and remind me that I shouldn't. Please and thank you!

13. - Top - End - #253

NecromancerGuy

as I cannot figure out how to check copyrights on images (as some are marked 'do not replicate' or some-such and I cannot figure out how to check) and so cannot do a banner, when the kreikiri is ready for posting will I just post it bannerless and list the characters that would be used at the top of the page? I was just checking in on recent posts and decided to ask that while I was here.

also as iv a mythos that involves hunting down specific creatures to gain some degree of their abilities, and only having a list for pathfinder monsters (i have been making the class suitable for both games) is there any 3.5 specific creatures anyone here want to see from the get-go? I'l be planning to take requests to add specific creatures as desired from those who ask for them once the class is posted, but may as well get started now to add those people want.
    my homebrew signature:
    here on page 9

14. - Top - End - #254

Planetar

Quote Originally Posted by Amechra View Post
    Speaking of which... someone, incorporate typography into a Mythos class. I dare you.
    Challenge accepted.

15. - Top - End - #255
    Orc in the Playground

MindFlayer

Quote Originally Posted by Amechra View Post
    Here's a nice page with information on the progression of weight with regards to typography.

time for a new caster style, one whom binds you by the laws of typography, hehehe
    Reality is my clay, Imagination my tools.

Always have an idea on hand.

16. - Top - End - #256

NecromancerGuy

due to some inspiration I got today, iv wound up writing a couple or teramach mythos (one of which is an updated various of one I had written previously and posted in the teramach thread).

the first simply allows the teramach to fist-nuke people.

the second is a shinti that removes what is surely the erroneous fact that a teramch using 'Land-Shaping Limitation Ignorance' can show restraint .

City razing fists
    Spoiler
    Show
    Exalted
    Prerequisite: Rampaging Through Paper Cities
    Why should the monster restrain its impulses to but one being at a time? It needs -no- must destroy everything in its wake. And it will not let anything stand in its path of annihilation.

Whenever you engage in an unarmed full attack action you may swap any and all attacks you make for a single massive strike. This strike must hit the original target of the attack and functions as a normal unarmed strikefrom you, and deals an additional amount of damage equal to half your strength score. Should this attack hit you also cause a blast around the target (at their final position should your attack force them to move), with a radius of your Teramach level + half your strength scorex5ft centred on you. You and any being who you either have currently placed under a rage effect or is one of your reaves are immune to the blasts effects should you choose not to affect them.

The blast deals damage to all creatures and objects in the area effected equal to that took by the original target (not including the original target again), with objects treated as if you used Rampaging Through Paper Cities on them, using the pre-rolled damage to apply the damage modifier of a critical hit.
    When this mythos is used, it leaves behind a crater that is 10ft deeper than the grounds original position, the area covering the entire blast radius.

You may choose whether or not to effect (and thus damage) the ground with his mythos.
    Should, for whatever reason, your unarmed attacks deal energy damage of some variety half the blast’s damage is treated as it for all purposes apart from resistance or immunity.

Basic Manifestations:
    Meteoric cataclysm

Whenever you use this mythos you may use it through a thrown improvised weapon, using the weapons’ damage rather than that of an unarmed strike but otherwise it functions as normal. Throwing the weapon and using this manifestation is part of the same full round action. The blast emerges from the impact area of the weapon.
    Should the attack miss the GM determines the impact site of the weapon, and the mythos’s effects otherwise function as normal.

All destroying strike
    Whenever you use this mythos, you add your full strength score instead of half to determine damage for the blast, but not for the initial unarmed strike.

Corpse shattering strike
    Any and all objects destroyed with this mythos cannot be repaired by any means and creatures are considered to have their body destroyed when killed with this mythos, but the teramach may leave corpses if they so choose (they still count as destroyed).

Metacarpal induced quake
    Whenever you use this mythos, you add your full strength score instead of half to determine the range of the blast.

Annihilation of nations (requires Land-Shaping Limitation Ignorance)
    Whenever you use this mythos the blast radius becomes your Teramach level + half your strength score miles instead of the normal range.

Dust in the hands of destruction Shintai
    Spoiler
    Show
    Legendary
    Prerequisite: Land-Shaping Limitation Ignorance
    Your Land-Shaping Limitation Ignorance mythos activates and does not ever deactivate and you no longer take any strength drain without resting between uses. The cost of this however is the inability to restrain this strength.

Any and all objects you touch unarmed are immediately subjected to an unarmed sunder attempt and all creatures you touch are subject to your unarmed damage as if you hit them with an unarmed strike. The only exceptions to this are objects you intend to use as an improvised weapon, yourself, your clothing, and the ground unless you deliberately intend to destroy it.

The following are examples of this in action:
    Should the teramach pick up a gold piece, it is crushed in their grip.

Should the teramach touch a wall it likely collapses opening a hole in the wall.

Should the teramach catch a party member who is falling, their strength would crush the party member’s skeleton,
    dealing unarmed damage

Should the teramach stop to pick up a fallen child, it likely bursts apart in a bloody welter in their hands.

I also wrote a Olethrofex Excellency that seems apropriate:
    Death knows no barrier
    Spoiler
    Show
    Prerequisite: -
    Death cares not for the individual, both king and peasant will bow towards it. Why should ones background determine whether its herald awaits them?
    You gain the ability to speak with any living creature as if you shared a language. To all listeners you appear to speak in the native tongue to the intended listener, including accent.
    my homebrew signature:
    here on page 9

17. - Top - End - #257

MindFlayer

The base class chassis for my new class.

Spoiler: If you do what you think is right, then you are not wrong.
    Show

The Kalthorros
    "I am the hope of the universe. I am the answer to all living things that cry out for peace. I am protector of the innocent. I am the light in the darkness. I am truth. Ally to good! Nightmare to you!" -Goku

When legends walked the earth and the Sun was birthed from the dark, death and destruction strode, bringing doom to all. Disaster plagued the land. Monsters roamed, shaking the world with each mighty step. Many a person rose, lauding over others with their power, only to be defeated and shamed by yet another. It was an endless cycle, a dragon chasing its tail to the ends of time. Mind-numbing despair haunted the victims, following each on every step, the subjects of a neverending torment of famine and poverty. And as those petty emperors and mortal gods blinded them with their boundless arrogance and tyranny, a seed of hope was planted.

Among the men and women who walked the earth, there was one who saw this cycle as injustice, who refused to prostrate themselves to those who have no right to power and strength. Who dared to stand up and say no. The Hero was the one who saw the world as it was, as corruption and hatred, and believed, believed that he could save it, believed he could force the jaws of the world open and prevent it from consuming itself.

It is said that they were human in the most known rendition of the tale. Others among their own culture believe they were an elf, a dwarf, or, as even the most barbaric civilizations think, an orc. Whatever the case, they are long dead. But they live on, for every so often, someone sees injustice happen and refuse to let it stand, from a human who saw his parents die, to the dragon who's child is captured. For every tyrant, every demon or monster, every Teramach or Olethrofex, a hero exists. They are known as the Kalthorros.

Hit Die: d12
    Skill Points: 6 + Intelligence Modifier
    Class Skills: Autohypnosis, Balance, Climb, Concentration, Diplomacy, Intimidate, Jump, Listen, Search, Sense Motive, Spot, Survival, Swim, Tumble
    Proficiencies: Kalthorros are proficient with all simple and martial weapons, and with all armor and shields.

Level BAB Fort Ref Will Special Mythos Excellencies
    1st +1 +2 +2 +2 The Hero's Mythos, Mythos Known, Exceptional Mythos, Excellence in Heroism, Never Give Up, +2 +1
    2nd +2 +3 +3 +3 +0 +1
    3rd +3 +3 +3 +3 +1 +0
    4th +4 +4 +4 +4 +0 +1
    5th +5 +4 +4 +4 +1 +0
    6th +6/+1 +5 +5 +5 +0 +1
    7th +7/+2 +5 +5 +5 Fantastic Mythos +1 +1
    8th +8/+3 +6 +6 +6 +0 +1
    9th +9/+4 +6 +6 +6 +1 +0
    10th +10/+5 +7 +7 +7 +0 +1
    11th +11/+6/+1 +7 +7 +7 +1 +0
    12th +12/+7/+2 +8 +8 +8 +0 +1
    13th +13/+8/+3 +8 +8 +8 Legendary Mythos +1 +1
    14th +14/+9/+4 +9 +9 +9 +0 +1
    15th +15/+10/+5 +9 +9 +9 +1 +0
    16th +16/+11/+6/+1 +10 +10 +10 +0 +1
    17th +17/+12/+7/+2 +10 +10 +10 +1 +0
    18th +18/+13/+8/+3 +11 +11 +11 +0 +1
    19th +19/+14/+9/+4 +11 +11 +11 Exalted Mythos +1 +1
    20th +20/+15/+10/+5 +12 +12 +12 +1 +1

The Hero's Mythos: A Kalthorros's power is expressed in terms of one or more "Mythos", the building blocks of the legend that they are, and the stories that they have told and will tell. While any given Mythos varies from the rest, they share some similar traits. They are always Extraordinary abilities, and when they reference a difficulty class for an imposed saving throw, that saving throw is always calculated as (10 + 1/2 class level + Strength modifier, unless otherwise stated). When a Mythos references a "level" that is not clearly defined in some other way, such as "character level", it refers to "class level" as in the number of levels one has in the Teramach class. When a Mythos references "allies", it specifically does not refer to the Teramach using it. When a Mythos grants a feat as a bonus feat, it is regardless of whether the character meets the prerequisites for that feat (unless otherwise stated), and if the character already possesses that feat (in some permanent fashion - via the normal allotment gained by leveling up, or through another Mythos, and so on, but not those gained temporarily, such as via a "Heroics" spell), they must replace the prior instance of that feat with another feat that they qualify for.

Every Mythos has a Tier. The Tier of a Mythos ranges from 1 to 4, typically referred to as Exceptional, Fantastic, Legendary, and Exalted. Exceptional Mythos tell the tales of what children dream of being, village boys rescuing the princess and living happily ever after. Fantastic Mythos are the truths of fairy tales, tyrants and monsters defeated by the lonesome hero, doing what he must for he's the only one who can. Legendary Mythos are ideals taken to the extreme, the hero who stops the dragon, and sacrifices themself for the sake of the Material Plane. Exalted Mythos are for walking legends, who gods fear and demon lords dread, who defeats the horrors beyond this world and saves the unsaveable.

Some Mythos, in addition to their initial stated effect, have Basic and Advanced manifestations. When a Kalthorros gains access to a Mythos with a list of Basic manifestations, they may choose one such manifestation, and they gain that benefit immediately as well. This choice may not be changed later. When a Kalthorros gains access to a Mythos with a list of Advanced manifestations, they may choose one such manifestation, and they gain that benefit upon achieving their next level of Kalthorros. This choice may be changed at any point before receiving the chosen manifestation itself, but not after (choosing beforehand is just an easy way to mark it down on your character sheet so you don't forget that you'll be getting something later).

Mythos Known: A 1st level Kalthorros begins play with two Exceptional Mythos that he qualifies for if this is his first level in a PC character class. At higher levels, he gains additional Mythos as noted on the Kalthorros class table.

For characters that multiclass into Kalthorros after having taken levels in another PC character class, the 1st level of Kalthorros grants only a single Exceptional Mythos, rather than two.

A Kalthorros also has the ability to learn more Mythos, above the ones automatically allotted to him by leveling up - by sacrificing himself for the power to stop the evil. At any time, a Kalthorros may destroy one of his own possessions (something that has been in his possession for at least a week's time). The annihilation must be complete enough that the item could never be repaired. The destroyed item's value in gold pieces is recouped by the Kalthorros as an equal amount of Mythos Points.

By spending 1,000 Mythos Points, and 250xp, he may learn an Exceptional Mythos. A Fantastic Mythos requires 5,000 Mythos Points and 500xp. A Legendary Mythos takes 10,000 Mythos Points, and 1,000xp. And an Exalted Mythos takes 20,000 Mythos Points and 2,000xp.

For half the listed price for a given Tier, a Kalthorros may learn a Basic or Advanced manifestation of a Mythos they already know of that Tier.

Learning Mythos above the standard amount requires astounding, nearly single-minded devotion to the hero's way. A Kalthorros may only utilize this ability while more than half of his effective character level (ECL) is devoted to levels in the Kalthorros class.

Excellence in Heroism: As denoted on their class table, a Kalthorros gains a certain number of abilities known as "Excellencies". These tend to be more general, generic, and passive than a Mythos, but are useful nonetheless, and are drawn from their own separate list, unsegregated by Tiers. Like a Mythos, a Teramach may learn more Excellencies above their allotted amount. Each one costs 1,000 Mythos Points and 100xp, plus an additional 1,000 Mythos Points and 100xp for each time a new Excellency is innovated beyond the first. (So, 2,000mp and 200xp for the second, 3,000mp and 300xp for the third, etc.)

Never Give Up!: The Kalthorros aren't always spectacular. They may not be the quickest or the smartest. They may even not be the strongest or the toughest. But when the Hero first stepped forward, they weren't the quickest, the smartest, the strongest, or the toughest. So what made them powerful, what let them succeed when many others failed?

Determination. The mental resilience to never give up, to never stop trying when all hope is lost, that is what drives the Kalthorros. The Kalthorros gains a pool of determination points equal to half their level+their greatest ability modifier (minimum 1). These points can only be spent when under half health or an ally has been brought under 0 health points, or any other situations when everything looks grim, subject to DM's approval. You may spend 1 point to gain temporary hitpoints equal to your level+highest ability modifier, or you can spend a number of points to gain twice that number as a bonus to an attack, opposed skill check, or skill check for one round. Some mythos also allow you to spend determination points, as noted in their description.
    Last edited by Bluydee; 2014-10-09 at 02:42 PM.
    "No matter how subtle the wizard, a knife between his shoulder blades will seriously cramp his style."
    Quote Originally Posted by Xefas
    As the old saying goes, "He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby get his ass wrecked."

18. - Top - End - #258

I'm not seeing an antagonist in that banner, Bluydee? Might I recommend Light Yagami or Sinestro?

19. - Top - End - #259

MindFlayer

Quote Originally Posted by vasharanpaladin View Post
    I'm not seeing an antagonist in that banner, Bluydee? Might I recommend Light Yagami or Sinestro?
    Antagonists can't really fit here. It's the literal incarnation of heroism. Although Sinestro kinda fits, Light is a sociopath.
    "No matter how subtle the wizard, a knife between his shoulder blades will seriously cramp his style."
    As the old saying goes, "He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby get his ass wrecked."

20. - Top - End - #260

Quote Originally Posted by Bluydee View Post
    Antagonists can't really fit here. It's the literal incarnation of heroism. Although Sinestro kinda fits, Light is a sociopath.
    then may i suggest changing the fluff slightly, to factor in the potential for a non-good Kalthorros? restricting this exclusively to good aligned characters is probably a bad move. also, beware the overuse of anime characters.

21. - Top - End - #261

Oh, hey, you've misunderstood fluff. Let's clarify: Mythos are STORIES. Stories don't hinge upon words like "hero" or "villain." Stories have protagonists, and they have antagonists. And, here's the kicker: A protagonist can be the villain (hello, Light, Raistlin!) just as readily as an antagonist can be the hero (hey there, L!). More to the point, in anything other than D&D's objective morality (post-Lawgivers, in the Mythic timeline) it's possible for the hero of one tale to be the villain of another: Ganondorf, in particular, firmly believed everything he did was right.

The point, you see, is that these stories transcend conventional (read: "post-Lawgiver") morality. Given the spoiler text, Ganondorf, Sinestro and, yes, Light Yagami all fit.

EDIT: Incidentally, the "protagonist" (not "hero") mythos is represented by the Sun, and its anthol class the Anakitos.
    Last edited by vasharanpaladin; 2014-10-09 at 02:25 PM.

22. - Top - End - #262

MindFlayer

Oh, hey, you've misunderstood fluff. Let's clarify: Mythos are STORIES. Stories don't hinge upon words like "hero" or "villain." Stories have protagonists, and they have antagonists. And, here's the kicker: A protagonist can be the villain (hello, Light, Raistlin!) just as readily as an antagonist can be the hero (hey there, L!). More to the point, in anything other than D&D's objective morality (post-Lawgivers, in the Mythic timeline) it's possible for the hero of one tale to be the villain of another: Ganondorf, in particular, firmly believed everything he did was right.

The point, you see, is that these stories transcend conventional (read: "post-Lawgiver") morality. Given the spoiler text, Ganondorf, Sinestro and, yes, Light Yagami all fit.

EDIT: Incidentally, the "protagonist" (not "hero") mythos is represented by the Sun, and its anthol class the Anakitos.
    While I enjoy Xefas's fluff, I don't particularly want to use it. I haven't mentioned the titans, nor any of his other lore in the flavor text.

23. - Top - End - #263

While I enjoy Xefas's fluff, I don't particularly want to use it. I haven't mentioned the titans, nor any of his other lore in the flavor text.
    Correction: That is the FIRST thing you've mentioned in the flavor text.

And, again, this isn't just "fluff," it's the entire point of the subsystem. Mythos are stories. Full stop. Do NOT think in terms of "hero" versus "villain" when determining which characters to put in the banner; you need a "protagonist" and an "antagonist." Ganondorf fits your spoiler text, Light Yagami fits your spoiler text, Sinestro fits your spoiler text... but it's been pointed out you should really drop some of the anime images, so you might want to stick with the first or the third.
    Last edited by vasharanpaladin; 2014-10-09 at 02:41 PM.

24. - Top - End - #264

MindFlayer

Correction: That is the FIRST thing you've mentioned in the flavor text.
    Whup. That's what you get for using a word that happens to have a different meaning in the context of the system used.

Changing it to legends.

The anime images were mostly on accident, really. I kinda just whipped it up together in an hour and thought of what heroes I could think of.

I agree on your point about good and evil, however the example of Light is not really applicable. While it is true he was trying to make the world a better place, during Death Note he completely turned into a killer, without any care about criminals and villains.

Also, what series did we get a glimpse of Ganondorf's thoughts? It is pretty clear in Skyward Sword he is the reincarnation of hatred against the goddess's descendants and Link is always reborn to fight him.
    Last edited by Bluydee; 2014-10-09 at 02:46 PM.

25. - Top - End - #265

Some non-anime heroic antagonists incoming...

Sinestro - Declared himself dictator of his own planet, enacted increasingly draconian laws, ultimately harnessed the yellow light of fear in the name of making the universe a better place. Does not have protagonist status, unlike Atrocitus.

Will Graham - Didn't become such until Doctor Lecter became the protagonist of his own HBO series, but an example now. Kinda grey, tho.

Ganondorf - Because objective morality is bollocks and everyone knows it. Dude just wanted better living conditions for his people, and the stoopid knife-ears in Hyrule took exception for some reason. See Wind Waker.

Dib - Because butt monkeys need love, too.
    Last edited by vasharanpaladin; 2014-10-09 at 02:51 PM.

26. - Top - End - #266

Been a while since I've posted here.

Now, Vasharanpaladin is being a little harsh then again I think they're ALWAYS a little harsh, but that's neither here nor there, but they are correct; the Mythos system works because of the fluff behind it. If you ignore the fluff behind it, you just get stuck with abilities that might be cool or overpowered, but don't make sense from a narrative standpoint IE the Wizard.

A 'Hero' does not exist within the Mythos subsystem because the idea of a 'hero' is at once both too strong and too diluted. What defines a hero, beyond 'they're the guy I root for'? What character could claim to be called a 'Hero' and be evil? The reverse is true with the term 'Villain' as well, so those don't work. And, as mentioned before, 'Protagonist' doesn't fit either; the Unconquered Sun (re-named to avoid making this whole thing too Exalted, natch) is the main theme for the Protagonist Mythos class, but several others would fit there (hence the banner).

Regarding anime characters: Yes, Japan is well-known for having a lot of the crazy-awesome sorts of characters that Western culture generally doesn't have; however, one must be careful to avoid using too many Japanese things, because then a player or GM will invariably ask "... Can you give me a medieval example of this?" or more bluntly "can you make this less weeaboo?"

I wish you the best of luck in making a class; however, do make sure that you know what sort of 'icon' you want to make when doing so. Because that's what a Mythos class is; an Icon, in a playable form.

27. - Top - End - #267

MindFlayer

I did only have anime since I spent like a few minutes making it.

I think I'll also take away the hero fluff and use doing what they think is right instead.

28. - Top - End - #268
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by ThreadNecro5 View Post
    City Razing Fists
    I think that you ought to just make the unarmed supah-punch a standard action. By then, most Teramach will be making standard action full-attacks anyways.

Your wording is also a bit unclear. In the first paragraph you describe the blast radius "around the target" and shortly after refer to it as "centered on you". Also, the friendly fire exception seems a bit out of place. This is the Teramach we're talking about.

Rather than specifying that this effect leaves a crater, why not just say that it damages the ground in addition to any structures?

Annihilation of Nations feels much to powerful to me. I think reducing the radius to just 1 mile would be appropriate.

Dust in the Hands of Destruction Shintai
    While I agree that this is most definitely a Shintai, it is not Legendary. Requiring an Exalted Mythos as a prerequisite means that this is either Exalted or Sempieternal. I think that Sempieternal is more much more appropriate, however, seeing as this is practically a permanent +200 to the Teramach's Strength score.

Death Knows No Barrier
    This is cool, but I think you should probably put in the fact that this allows the Olethrofex to use Speak With Dead whenever he wants. You could even add on that the Olethrofex could spend a short amount of time (1 min, mebe?) to perform a ritual that lets them use Speak With Dead on corpses that wouldn't normally be able to talk. (Such as corpses with no heads, or no jaws.)

29. - Top - End - #269
    Orc in the Playground

MindFlayer

Quote Originally Posted by Kymme View Post
    Rather than specifying that this effect leaves a crater, why not just say that it damages the ground in addition to any structures?

Annihilation of Nations feels much to powerful to me. I think reducing the radius to just 1 mile would be appropriate.

)
    what nation is only 1 mile in radius? :-O other than a certain one whom is self righteous enough i want to test that idea sometimes (lookin at you Vatty) mwahhahahaha

what might be funny is to make it so that it will wipe out all evidence of civilization untill it hits a border (be that local border or country or?? certain lvls might make it ignore certain types of borders?)
    Reality is my clay, Imagination my tools.

Always have an idea on hand.

30. - Top - End - #270

Planetar

So, I've got a question about the Mythic Titans' fluff:

Can a Notion live outside an Titan's "body"?

I'm asking this, because I've got this idea for a Mythos Class who wears one of a Titan's Notions(or some essence of the Omphalos, or part of the not-quite-Titan where the Bellator gets his powers from) as a suit of armor. Kind of like Mr. Burlew's
    Champion class.