New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 12 of 50 FirstFirst ... 234567891011121314151617181920212237 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #331
    Surgebinder in the Playground Moderator

Default Re: Girl Genius XVII: And Then He Had Pie

Quote Originally Posted by factotum View Post
    For it to be at all useful the ejection would have to be putting the passenger outside the train, would it not? A train which, in order to maintain the vital schedule, is presumably moving at the time? While it may be strictly true that ejecting the passenger isn't guaranteed to kill them, I think there's a fairly high probability of it doing so!
    Maybe it's rigged up to attach a parachute to the passenger while ejecting her? A quite mediocre spark should be able to build something like that, I'd think, and the Corbetites have access to sparks much better than mediocre.
    Like 4X (aka Civilization-like) gaming? Know programming? Interested in game development? Take a look.

Archives:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Saberhagen's Twelve Swords, some homebrew artifacts for 3.5 (please comment)
    Isstinen Tonche for ECL 74 playtesting.
    Team Solars: Powergaming beyond your wildest imagining, without infinite loops or epic. Yes, the DM asked for it.
    Arcane Swordsage: Making it actually work (homebrew)

2. - Top - End - #332
    Ogre in the Playground

For it to be at all useful the ejection would have to be putting the passenger outside the train, would it not? A train which, in order to maintain the vital schedule, is presumably moving at the time? While it may be strictly true that ejecting the passenger isn't guaranteed to kill them, I think there's a fairly high probability of it doing so!
    The only confession we had a chance to see was performed while the train was standing on the station. It is possible that is the norm.
    Quote Originally Posted by Pickford View Post
    I don't understand your point. Why does it matter what I said?

3. - Top - End - #333
    Troll in the Playground

I like this guy! And his office! But if this is Bill or Barry they've changed...

"panto blackguard"? Is the Abbott saying pantomime blackguard? That would make sense.

4. - Top - End - #334
    Colossus in the Playground

I've got a bad feeling about this. The abbot is a bit too blase about this. It almost sounds like he is saying, "If you want to execute a passenger you cant be so damned open about it. Here, let me show you how its done." He seems more bothered by how lame the brother has been about the whole thing.
    "Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum Europae vincendarum"
    Translation: "Sometimes I get this urge to conquer large parts of Europe."

Quote Originally Posted by Nerd-o-rama View Post
    Traab is yelling everything that I'm thinking already.
    "If you don't get those cameras out of my face, I'm gonna go 8.6 on the Richter scale with gastric emissions that'll clear this room."

5. - Top - End - #335
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Traab View Post
    I've got a bad feeling about this. The abbot is a bit too blase about this. It almost sounds like he is saying, "If you want to execute a passenger you cant be so damned open about it. Here, let me show you how its done." He seems more bothered by how lame the brother has been about the whole thing.
    At the moment, he's still answering the "how did you know" question.
    Quote Originally Posted by jamieth View Post
    ...though Talla does her best to sound objective and impartial, it doesn't cover stuff like "ask a 9-year-old to tank for the party."
    My Homebrew

6. - Top - End - #336
    Ettin in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Traab View Post
    I think it's more like "My boy, you are far too honest to be a villain. Still, something's got you so spooked you were seriously considering something unforgivable. Now you tell me what that is and I'll decide what to do next - both with your concerns and with you..."
    Spoiler: My inventory:
    Show

1 Sentient Sword
    1 Jammy Dodger (I was promised tea)
    1 Godwin Point.

Quote Originally Posted by Kairos Theodosian
    It appears someone will have to saddle my goat, for we now must ride out in glorious battle.

7. - Top - End - #337
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Calemyr View Post
    I think it's more like "My boy, you are far too honest to be a villain. Still, something's got you so spooked you were seriously considering something unforgivable. Now you tell me what that is and I'll decide what to do next - both with your concerns and with you..."
    This raises a problem. The Corbetitties seem modeled after the Catholic Church; and there, you CAN NOT break the Seal of the Confessional. Period. Because the priest hears, not with his ears, but with God's; and he therefore can reveal nothing of what he, as a mere conduit, now knows. If a similar stricture is in effect for Brother Ulm, he can't tell the Abbott why he was going to kill Agatha. He could send him to ask Agatha who she is; hopefully that wouldn't result in the Abbott trying to kill Agatha, too...

8. - Top - End - #338
    Titan in the Playground

NinjaGuy

I think there is a decent chance that the Abbot already knows that this is Agatha Heterodyne. Or at least strongly suspects it. If he is more or less the leader of the Monks, then he probably has very good intel on who the current movers and shakers of Eurpoa are. And he might rightly deduce that one of the few people who Ulm would be freaked out enough to want to kill for being inside their sanctum, would be the person who has caused/been blamed for so much chaos recently. Especially if she matches the descriptions of her.

Now this might fall apart if there are too many contradictory reports about Agatha. Which, to be fair, seems to be the case. OTOH, he can still verify his suspicions about Agatha if he words his statement just right. Say the classic:

"Now why did you think it would be a good idea to kill the current Heterodyne?"

"I just thought.... Wait how did you know she was the Heterodyne, I never told anyone. Those vows I kept at least"

"I didn't KNOW until now. But I strongly suspected and wanted to see your reaction to what I said. Tch.

Or a much better written variation of the above, at least.
    Concluded: The Stick Awards II: Second Edition
    Ongoing: OOTS by Page Count
    Coming Soon: OOTS by Final Post Count II: The Post Counts Always Chart Twice
    Coming Later: The Stick Awards III: The Search for More Votes

No matter how subtle the wizard, a knife between the shoulder blades will seriously cramp his style - Jhereg Proverb

9. - Top - End - #339
    Bugbear in the Playground

Wait, was he trying to kill Agatha or Margolotta? I have a feeling that it's the latter. Or is there any evidence otherwise? He said "She cannot be allowed to--". It seems like he was talking about Agatha, because last time they didn't want to go to the sanctuary becasue of her. But what if it's all just to derail our thoughts (pun intended), and he knows something about Margolotta we don't think he knows?
    Guess what spell I cast before posting this message.

10. - Top - End - #340
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by petersohn View Post
    Wait, was he trying to kill Agatha or Margolotta? I have a feeling that it's the latter. Or is there any evidence otherwise? He said "She cannot be allowed to--". It seems like he was talking about Agatha, because last time they didn't want to go to the sanctuary becasue of her. But what if it's all just to derail our thoughts (pun intended), and he knows something about Margolotta we don't think he knows?
    This comic shows who Brother Ulm is talking about.

11. - Top - End - #341
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Math_Mage View Post
    This comic shows who Brother Ulm is talking about.
    It heavily implies, but doesn't say for sure. It's not like he was pointing at her, she just happens to be there.
    Excellent avatar by Elder Tsofu.

12. - Top - End - #342
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by AgentPaper View Post
    It heavily implies, but doesn't say for sure. It's not like he was pointing at her, she just happens to be there.
    It's not like he didn't say she most certainly can't be allowed inside earlier.

13. - Top - End - #343
    Barbarian in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Could be a psych out and Margolotta is the potential victim.

I was reading a summary on a murder mystery where a priest decides to commit a murder based on things he learned in confession. Faced with two mortal sins, he decides murder to save innocents is better than breaking confession (three mortal sins if you count doing nothing and letting innocents be murdered).

Of course, the cop investigating it realizes the killer wasn't acting alone, and the priest isn't talking. . . .

Maybe mad science has found a way around this conundrum?

14. - Top - End - #344
    Ettin in the Playground

Griffon

Quote Originally Posted by Ellen View Post
    Could be a psych out and Margolotta is the potential victim.
    Not if he's as subtle as a brick, which we've just been told he is.
    The end of what Son? The story? There is no end. There's just the point where the storytellers stop talking.

15. - Top - End - #345
    Troll in the Playground

Brother Ulm should never have tried the ice bucket approach to assassination. I've heard it to be quite challenging to pull off.
    Last edited by gooddragon1; 2014-10-08 at 01:25 AM.
    There is no emotion more useless in life than hate.

16. - Top - End - #346
    Titan in the Playground

NinjaGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Porthos View Post
    I think there is a decent chance that the Abbot already knows that this is Agatha Heterodyne. Or at least strongly suspects it. If he is more or less the leader of the Monks, then he probably has very good intel on who the current movers and shakers of Eurpoa are. And he might rightly deduce that one of the few people who Ulm would be freaked out enough to want to kill for being inside their sanctum, would be the person who has caused/been blamed for so much chaos recently. Especially if she matches the descriptions of her.
    *does another victory jig*
    Concluded: The Stick Awards II: Second Edition
    Ongoing: OOTS by Page Count
    Coming Soon: OOTS by Final Post Count II: The Post Counts Always Chart Twice
    Coming Later: The Stick Awards III: The Search for More Votes

No matter how subtle the wizard, a knife between the shoulder blades will seriously cramp his style - Jhereg Proverb

17. - Top - End - #347

BlackDragon

I guess that answers my earlier question--if Brother Ulm has been trying to assassinate Agatha off-panel for some time now, there's been plenty of time for the other monks to get a message back to the Abbot concerning it.

18. - Top - End - #348
    Ettin in the Playground

It feels like the Abbott seems more interested in keeping Agatha alive than offing her. Perhaps he has some hidden loyalties.

19. - Top - End - #349

BlackDragon

Quote Originally Posted by Grif View Post
    It feels like the Abbott seems more interested in keeping Agatha alive than offing her. Perhaps he has some hidden loyalties.
    Or perhaps he just, you know, doesn't want to randomly kill passengers for no good reason?

20. - Top - End - #350
    Troll in the Playground

Brother Ulm and the monks are a lot more on the ball than I realized, knowing that Margolotta was the target. Maybe Krosp told him after he got back from his 'talk' with the Count. On the other hand, they've probably had experience with people trying to kill their passengers before, and are prepared for that. And also make a point of knowing what's going on, on their train.

It is also POSSIBLE Lady Margolotta told the truth (or at least part of it) during her confession, letting Ulm know that Tweedle was after her...

Or perhaps he just, you know, doesn't want to randomly kill passengers for no good reason?
    In Ulm's defense, it's not random and it's not for no reason. He wanted to kill Agatha specifically because he believes her being in the fortress is potentially catastrophic. WE don't know what he's afraid of; but the Abbott apparently doesn't have the same fear. At least not to the same degree.

Although it is possible that even if he does, the Abbott doesn't hold with killing those under Corbetitte protection. No matter what the consequences.

21. - Top - End - #351
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by eee View Post
    Brother Ulm and the monks are a lot more on the ball than I realized, knowing that Margolotta was the target. Maybe Krosp told him after he got back from his 'talk' with the Count. On the other hand, they've probably had experience with people trying to kill their passengers before, and are prepared for that. And also make a point of knowing what's going on, on their train.
    Or some of them simply heard Wolkerstorfer mention the fact - he wasn't exactly quiet when talking about it (it is made even more likely since the very next scene involves Agatha and the monks shooting rails at him from a short distance).

22. - Top - End - #352

BarbarianGuy

Or perhaps he has heard about Gil and knows that, if the Corbetites killed Agatha, Gil would rip out every mile of track in Europa or die trying. The projected casualty count among the other houses and dynasties may be high enough to lose Choo-choo Church their protection.
    The Giant
    There are no mistakes, because there are no rules. NONE. No, not even that one.

23. - Top - End - #353
    Ogre in the Playground

Beholder

Ice bucket! LOL!

24. - Top - End - #354

Quote Originally Posted by eee View Post
    This raises a problem. The Corbetitties seem modeled after the Catholic Church; and there, you CAN NOT break the Seal of the Confessional. Period. Because the priest hears, not with his ears, but with God's; and he therefore can reveal nothing of what he, as a mere conduit, now knows. If a similar stricture is in effect for Brother Ulm, he can't tell the Abbott why he was going to kill Agatha. He could send him to ask Agatha who she is; hopefully that wouldn't result in the Abbott trying to kill Agatha, too...
    The Corbettite confessional is largely a security precaution: the monks need to know who is on their train and what sorts of trouble could be coming close behind. That is not a purpose served by forbidding the monks to hint at, speak of, or take actions based on any of what they've learned (and, in fact, we've seen that they can and do).

The Corbettites seem to be more concerned with trains than with personal sin.
    Diamond Mind avatar provided by Abardam.

25. - Top - End - #355
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Inyssius Tor View Post
    The Corbettite confessional is largely a security precaution: the monks need to know who is on their train and what sorts of trouble could be coming close behind. That is not a purpose served by forbidding the monks to hint at, speak of, or take actions based on any of what they've learned (and, in fact, we've seen that they can and do).
    Sure, but without a Seal of the Confessional, there is no way they'd get the secrets in the first place. Anyone traveling would only trust the monks with such secrets insofar as they were confident the monks won't blab about them. However, it is possible that the Seal works hierarchically: the monk is only allowed to pass on the details on the confession upwards.

Grey Wolf
    Last edited by Grey_Wolf_c; 2014-10-09 at 12:49 PM.
    Interested in MitD? Join us in MitD's thread.
    There is a world of imagination
    Deep in the corners of your mind
    Where reality is an intruder
    And myth and legend thrive
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Ceterum autem censeo Hilgya malefica est

26. - Top - End - #356
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Inyssius Tor View Post
    Still, our good brother mentions to the Abbot that he never broke the seal and says to his fellow monk that he may learn Agatha's identity if she tells him - because that is how confession works. Sure, he took actions based on what he learnt - but he never broke the seal of confession (which would happen if he told anyone about what he learnt) - this is identical to a priest deciding he can't allow a person who confessed murder to go unpunished and administering justice by himself (as opposed to telling everything to a cop - he basically breaks other tenents of his faith, ones he views less important than the seal of confession).
    Last edited by Divayth Fyr; 2014-10-10 at 05:02 AM.

27. - Top - End - #357
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Divayth Fyr View Post
    Still, our good brother mentions to the Abbot that he never broke the seal and says to his fellow monk that he may learn Agatha's identity if she tells him - because that is how confession works. Sure, he took actions based on what he learnt - but he never broke the seal of confession (which would happen if he told anyone about what he learnt) - this is identical to a priest deciding he can't allow a person who confessed murder to go unpunished and administering justice by himself (as opposed to telling everything to a cop - he basically breaks other tenents of his faith, ones he views less important than the seal of confession).
    Your second link is missing the final 1.
    Quote Originally Posted by Wardog View Post
    Rockphed said it well.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sam Starfall
    When your pants are full of crickets, you don't need mnemonics.
    Dragontar by Serpentine.

Now offering unsolicited advice.

28. - Top - End - #358

RedWizardGuy

I'm 140% sure that she will free the beast.

29. - Top - End - #359
    Ettin in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Question is, what is the beast? Is it something from before the timeskip, like Von Pinn? Or is it something new?

I'm banking on the reveal being an anti-climax though - build up the Beast as this horrible monster, and it'll be something small and unassuming that can still kick the crap out of everything around.

30. - Top - End - #360

Quote Originally Posted by Rodin View Post
    Question is, what is the beast? Is it something from before the timeskip, like Von Pinn? Or is it something new?

I'm banking on the reveal being an anti-climax though - build up the Beast as this horrible monster, and it'll be something small and unassuming that can still kick the crap out of everything around.
    Or it nearly destroyed them by attempting to offer the world a more efficient person transport system than their trains.