New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #181
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: Unprovable OOTS Therories

Azurites have blue hair because some of their distant ancestors were elves.
    Last edited by Gift Jeraff; 2015-01-15 at 01:55 PM.
    THE SCRYING EYE AT THE END OF STRIP #698 WAS ZZ'DTRI'S (SOURCE)

2. - Top - End - #182
    Ettin in the Playground

RangerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Gift Jeraff View Post
    Azurites have blue hair because some of their distant ancestors were elves.
    Elves have blue hair?

Wait. They have any color hair. Okay.

3. - Top - End - #183
    Dragon in the Playground Moderator

Roy got into Fighter College on an athletic scholarship, because his dad refused to pay.
    Cuthalion's art is the prettiest art of all the art. Like my avatar.

Number of times Roland St. Jude has sworn revenge upon me: 1

4. - Top - End - #184
    Orc in the Playground

Daemon

Laurin's daughter is redcloack's niece.

MitD is going to destroy Xykon's phylactery by following Xykon's order to devour Redcloak if he betrays him, or if he kills O-Chul.

Therkla's father was the paladin shown being slain on the cover of Start of Darkness, when he mentioned his family while begging to Xykon to spare him, he was talking about Therkla and his wife.

Loki sends Hilga to intercept Durkula before he gets to the last gate.
    Last edited by AbyssStalker; 2015-01-17 at 09:00 AM.

5. - Top - End - #185
    Bugbear in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    Roy got into Fighter College on an athletic scholarship, because his dad refused to pay.
    Except he did send Roy and he paid 40,000 in tuition a year.

Quote Originally Posted by AbyssStalker View Post

MitD is going to destroy Xykon's phylactery by following Xykon's order to devour Redcloak if he betrays him, or if he kills O-Chul.
    The order to devour Redcloak includes spitting out the phylactery.
    Last edited by orrion; 2015-01-17 at 11:58 AM.

6. - Top - End - #186
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by orrion View Post
    Actually, he may be onto something. The exact words used were 'Spit out that gold amulet he wears." which is no longer the phylactery. However Xykon doesn't know that Redcloak is still keeping it on his person, so he wouldn't bother to change the command.
    “Evil is evil. Lesser, greater, middling, it's all the same. Proportions are negotiated, boundaries blurred. I'm not a pious hermit, I haven't done only good in my life. But if I'm to choose between one evil and another, then I prefer not to choose at all.”

7. - Top - End - #187

Noooooooooooooo! Curse your mastery of the first hundred or so strips!

8. - Top - End - #188
    Orc in the Playground

Daemon

Except he did send Roy and he paid 40,000 in tuition a year.

Based on what you have seen of MitD, what chance between 100-200% do you think he is going to muck that one up, like every other thing Xykon commands.

He might spit it out, JUST MAYBE, in pieces, if he does so at all.

Edit: And how exactly would he not chew it up? Would he try to shift the phylactery around in his mouth while chewing, an entire goblin?
    Last edited by AbyssStalker; 2015-01-17 at 04:11 PM.

9. - Top - End - #189

Quote Originally Posted by Keltest View Post
    Actually, he may be onto something. The exact words used were 'Spit out that gold amulet he wears." which is no longer the phylactery. However Xykon doesn't know that Redcloak is still keeping it on his person, so he wouldn't bother to change the command.
    Ah, but Redcloak is wearing a different gold amulet. He's not wearing the phylactery, even though it's in his possession.

10. - Top - End - #190
    Troll in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Ah, but Redcloak is wearing a different gold amulet. He's not wearing the phylactery, even though it's in his possession.
    We don't know the current location of Xykon's real phylactery. It's possible Redcloak does have it on his person.
    Spoiler: Quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    Also, as a rule of thumb, if you find yourself defending your inalienable right to make someone else feel like garbage, you're on the wrong side of the argument.
    Quote Originally Posted by oppyu View Post
    There is nothing more emblematic of this forum than three or four pages of debate between people who, as it turns out, pretty much agree with each other.

Check this game out! Or at least give it a thumbs up.
    Why "because the plot said so" is not a good answer.

11. - Top - End - #191
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Exactly. If Redcloak is no longer wearing the phylactery, the MITD is no longer going to spit it out, should he eat Redcloak as part of the magic.
    “Evil is evil. Lesser, greater, middling, it's all the same. Proportions are negotiated, boundaries blurred. I'm not a pious hermit, I haven't done only good in my life. But if I'm to choose between one evil and another, then I prefer not to choose at all.”

12. - Top - End - #192
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Exactly. If Redcloak is no longer wearing the phylactery, the MITD is no longer going to spit it out, should he eat Redcloak as part of the magic.
    So are we assuming that the Monster in the Dark can digest magically strengthened phylacteries now?
    Quote Originally Posted by The Glyphstone View Post
    Vibranium: If it was on the periodic table, its chemical symbol would be "Bs".

13. - Top - End - #193
    Troll in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Tvtyrant View Post
    So are we assuming that the Monster in the Dark can digest magically strengthened phylacteries now?
    Spoiler: SoD
    Show
    Xykon seems to think that it could at least be a problem, or else there would be no need for him to command MitD to spit it out afterwards. Since there's a wide range of things that MitD could be, having that ability doesn't seem to unreasonable an assumption, at least for these purposes.

Peelee’s Lotsey

14. - Top - End - #194
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Jaxzan Proditor View Post
    Spoiler: SoD
    Show
    Xykon seems to think that it could at least be a problem, or else there would be no need for him to command MitD to spit it out afterwards. Since there's a wide range of things that MitD could be, having that ability doesn't seem to unreasonable an assumption, at least for these purposes.
    And even if he cant actually digest the phylactery, Xykon probably doesn't want to regenerate inside the MITD's stomach any more than, say, that of a sea serpent.

15. - Top - End - #195
    Ogre in the Playground

Eve & Larry sold their entire stock of healing potions to Julio.
    -.____________________
    ./___________________()-------Ron Miel
    |...___________________--------sits down
    |..| |_________________()-------and starts
    |..|/__________________--------singing
    | ___________________()-------about gold

16. - Top - End - #196
    Orc in the Playground

Daemon

And even if he cant actually digest the phylactery, Xykon probably doesn't want to regenerate inside the MITD's stomach any more than, say, that of a sea serpent.
    With all that stew in his stomach I would have to say he would have broth that upon himself. But seriously, given how ridiculously strong he is I find it likely that his neck muscles alone would likely shatter it. If he has neck muscles, that is.

But on an unrelated note, another theory, given the fact that Elan was wiped out early in the fight against Crystal, I'm betting that he has something (spell, ability, etc.) that would put Crystal down. Kind of like how V and Durkon are incapacitated in some battles due to their magical/divine ability to curb-stomp some of the enemies the order faces.

I hope Belkar makes good on the analogy he made toward Crystal, dropping a house on her would be hilarious, I mean, she is already pretty homely.

17. - Top - End - #197

AssassinGuy

But on an unrelated note, another theory, given the fact that Elan was wiped out early in the fight against Crystal, I'm betting that he has something (spell, ability, etc.) that would put Crystal down. Kind of like how V and Durkon are incapacitated in some battles due to their magical/divine ability to curb-stomp some of the enemies the order faces.
    Ok, but Elan was taken out of the fight against the bounty hunters too and he didn't have anything that put them down.

Edit: And he was the first one taken out of the fight with Samantha.
    Last edited by orrion; 2015-01-21 at 08:31 PM.

18. - Top - End - #198
    Orc in the Playground

Daemon

Ok, but Elan was taken out of the fight against the bounty hunters too and he didn't have anything that put them down.

Edit: And he was the first one taken out of the fight with Samantha.
    Well I imagine illusions would be pretty effective against someone as stump-dumb as Crystal.

Edit: Or Enor for that matter, I think you have me on the fight with Samantha, although I can't seem to remember who she is.
    Last edited by AbyssStalker; 2015-01-21 at 08:42 PM. Reason: Grammer

19. - Top - End - #199
    Ettin in the Playground

RangerGuy

Oooh I have an idea! A dummy Haley! Have the flesh golem run after the Mirror Image while actual Haley and Bandana... er... find out how to defeat her?
    Last edited by goto124; 2015-01-23 at 02:05 AM.

20. - Top - End - #200

AssassinGuy

Well I imagine illusions would be pretty effective against someone as stump-dumb as Crystal.

Edit: Or Enor for that matter, I think you have me on the fight with Samantha, although I can't seem to remember who she is.
    Elan was taken out against the bounty hunters because he was the target, though, and he actually did have a few rounds to do things before Enor knocked him out. He spent them punning instead of using illusions. Which is likely what he'd have tried against Crystal, anyway, and with similar results.

Samantha was the sorceress they fought in the bandit camp. Elan was taken out via a Maximized Fireball.

---

The point was that you can't really connect Elan to being taken out of fights like V and/or Durkon. Even if I granted you that illusions might be effective against Crystal and Enor, that's a situational thing and not indicative of the Bard class since a Bard is not usually a class pegged as all-around problem solvers like Wizards or Clerics.

21. - Top - End - #201
    Orc in the Playground

Daemon

Elan was taken out against the bounty hunters because he was the target, though, and he actually did have a few rounds to do things before Enor knocked him out. He spent them punning instead of using illusions. Which is likely what he'd have tried against Crystal, anyway, and with similar results.

Samantha was the sorceress they fought in the bandit camp. Elan was taken out via a Maximized Fireball.

---

The point was that you can't really connect Elan to being taken out of fights like V and/or Durkon. Even if I granted you that illusions might be effective against Crystal and Enor, that's a situational thing and not indicative of the Bard class since a Bard is not usually a class pegged as all-around problem solvers like Wizards or Clerics.
    Oh I was just suggesting it was possible he was knocked out for the same reason as they are sometimes knocked out this time, not every (or most) times he is incapacitated. I was suggesting that this was perhaps one of the times where he would probably lessen tension by making the situation much less dire by his possible capabilities against Crystal. I think Elan would also be savvy enough to quickly understand that none of their attacks were working and then attempt to use illusions, the fight against Enor was too short lived for a proper adjustment of tactics as he didn't know his pun attack wouldn't be effective as the last round he fought was the first time he punned, he was knocked out directly afterwards.

But just to make this clear, i'm not trying to blanket statement a Bard's usefulness as a comparison to Wizards or Clerics, I was just trying to say maybe this is one of the situational circumstances where he would have ruined (or at least lessened) the dramatic tension if he had been able to contribute in the fight. You CAN compare it to being taken out of fights like V or Durkon, but only for specific situations, it would be wrong however to say that is the reason he is knocked out at any or all times, just like it would be wrong to say that the every time a Wizard or Cleric is taken out of a fight it is because they would just win (although that is the case much of the time), sometimes they are just knocked out for other reasons, just as Elan is at times.

22. - Top - End - #202
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Miel View Post
    Eve & Larry sold their entire stock of healing potions to Julio.
    Huh?
    Spoiler
    Show

23. - Top - End - #203
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by martianmister View Post
    Huh?
    They think the Eve and Larry are the producers mentioned in the later strip about the advertisement deal.

24. - Top - End - #204
    Dwarf in the Playground

Flumph

Quote Originally Posted by ti'esar View Post
    I've always had a half-serious theory that Tarquin is a "fallen" bard - that is, a bard who violated the "bards cannot become lawful" alignment clause. It would tie in with his rant about how they should be using their knowledge of narrative structure to rule the world instead of singing in taverns, especially because that rant is one of only a few things I've ever seen to actually imply a (parodic) reason for why bards can't be lawful. And it would tie in a lot better to the Darth Vader jokes then the idea that he's a blackguard or other form of fallen paladin would (something I saw people seriously suggest in the past).
    I'm a new fan of this theory.
    Black is for nitpicking.
    Black is for sarcasm.
    Blue is for serious.

25. - Top - End - #205
    Colossus in the Playground

If we saw him using a "bard-only ability" (since fallen bards retain all their bard powers - they just can't take more bard levels) that could prove the theory to be in fact correct.
    Marut-2 Avatar by Serpentine
    New Marut Avatar by Linkele

26. - Top - End - #206
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by hamishspence View Post
    If we saw him using a "bard-only ability" (since fallen bards retain all their bard powers - they just can't take more bard levels) that could prove the theory to be in fact correct.
    Given that he is wearing a suit of full plate mail almost every time we see him, I doubt he makes use of many of their combat abilities. Correct me if im wrong, but anything heavier than a Chain Shirt causes bards to suffer from spell failure, right? And using a bard song would require Tarquin to not be fighting.

27. - Top - End - #207
    Colossus in the Playground

Bardic Knowledge checks maybe. Still not very useful if one only has a couple of levels in bard and is now high level in Something Else - but its one way to say "This guy was an active bard once".
    Marut-2 Avatar by Serpentine
    New Marut Avatar by Linkele

28. - Top - End - #208
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by hamishspence View Post
    Bardic Knowledge checks maybe. Still not very useful if one only has a couple of levels in bard and is now high level in Something Else - but its one way to say "This guy was an active bard once".
    Indeed. Although I suspect were done with Tarquin for a while, so it will remain a mystery unless the Giant decides to grace us with an answer.

29. - Top - End - #209
    Orc in the Playground

Daemon

Crystal Golem runs into Durkula and in the ensuing battle with Haley and Durkula VS. Crystal , Roy is fighting Bozzok and possibly any more golems Grub might have brought, Durkula acts contrary to Durkon's character by (possibly) leaving Haley to die by Crystals hands (or some other willing abandonment), Elan saves her (or Bandana's) from death at Crystals hands with the Cure Wounds wand. Belkar finds his way back at some point and the final (or at least vindicated) fight against Durkula and Belkar begins.

Grub might be able to give Durkon re-control by making him an improved flesh golem, or once Durkula has been slain he does so.

Varsuvius might fight Grub, ending with Var charming him and having him turn Durkula into an improved Golem with free will.

Out of nowhere guess: MitD somehow finds his way into the scene and is angered by Crystal, who is quickly decimated./ Redcloak in Xykon come in at the worst time. These last two are with absolutely no evidence supporting, but just in case...

30. - Top - End - #210
    Pixie in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Unprovable... so far...:

My theory on the MITD is that he is...
    Spoiler: SOD & Other MITD Details
    Show
    A Fomorian toddler. Medium-sized and immature because he's young; magically-connected because he's fey; not native to the rain forest because he's native to the Underdark, but hasn't been enculturated into the darkness and so likes light. Also, the bigger eye is intentional. People think he's ugly. Fomorians usually don't speak Common, or to mortals in general, but MITD could figure out Common and wasn't raised not to speak it.

Just my 2 gp.

Last time I posted this theory, it vanished within 24 hours. Can't find it on the forum ANYWHERE. And I did the Spoiler thing and everything, which went wonky when I tried posting this the first time.

Dun dun DUN!
    Last edited by HuntedWalrus; 2015-02-03 at 01:29 AM. Reason: Spoiler didn't show properly.