New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Ways to get Wizard Spells

Quote Originally Posted by Kevingway View Post
    I try to stay away from homebrew as much as I can. If push comes to shove, I'm just gonna go full-out Psion and live with it--I'm realizing that a lot of the feats listed here wouldn't necessarily grant a "caster level" for the purpose of prerequisites into other feats that would lead up to telekinesis.

Was just hoping that it would be possible to circumvent being a caster to get access to this spell in a way that could scale, other than trying to pull off being a ghost. Sadness.
    You might be able to argue that Master of the Unseen Hand should progress the effects of TK off of the standard Ring of Telekenisis in the DMG.
    Of course, by the time I finish this post, it will already be obsolete. C'est la vie.

2. - Top - End - #32
    Colossus in the Playground

Mostly not-serious:

Take Leadership, and have your cohort be the one with TK! They don't tell your character they're the one doing it, letting him THINK he has the power, himself.

3. - Top - End - #33
    Banned

Devil

Quote Originally Posted by Zombulian View Post
    That's interesting. It says you gain knowledge of a spell of a level that you can cast. Does that mean you can take one from any spell list as long as it is of the correct level?
    The wizard class states that you can only cast spells from the wizard spell list. The unwritten (or is it?) rule is that unless there's something specifically allowing you to do so, you default to the, well, default - in this instance, sans the mention of said spell not being off your class list, only Wizard spells can be.

4. - Top - End - #34
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Vaz View Post
    The wizard class states that you can only cast spells from the wizard spell list. The unwritten (or is it?) rule is that unless there's something specifically allowing you to do so, you default to the, well, default - in this instance, sans the mention of said spell not being off your class list, only Wizard spells can be.
    Yeah I figured. Thought I'd put the question out there though.
    Quote Originally Posted by Deeds View Post
    Caster backstories require a reason as to why they can cast spells. Wizards study hard to learn spells. Sorcerers often learn of their powers and then hone them through traveling. Clerics use piety to find the gift of spells through the gods or their ideals. Druids shun deodorant until a riding dog appears and they learn Entangle.
    Quote Originally Posted by Red Fel View Post
    Zom, my imaginary hat is off to you. *Horns? *What horns? *It's just an unusual hairstyle.
    Quote Originally Posted by Venger View Post
    There are certain advantages to a game being as badly written as 3.5.

5. - Top - End - #35
    Banned

Devil

There are ways around that - Geomancer, for example, but to go to the effort of that (and dropping 3 caster levels on qualification) is fairly poor when you in a game you should be able to research a Wizard version.

6. - Top - End - #36
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Vaz View Post
    There are ways around that - Geomancer, for example, but to go to the effort of that (and dropping 3 caster levels on qualification) is fairly poor when you in a game you should be able to research a Wizard version.
    There's ways around needing three off base levels. Southern Magician (Races of Faerun), Alternative Source Spell (Dragon 325), a single level in Cleric and Divine Metamagic (Heighten Spell) (Complete Divine), probably a few others.
    Of course, by the time I finish this post, it will already be obsolete. C'est la vie.

7. - Top - End - #37
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Zombulian View Post
    That's interesting. It says you gain knowledge of a spell of a level that you can cast. Does that mean you can take one from any spell list as long as it is of the correct level?
    Is there a way for magic missile to be changed into a touch spell?

-edited- forgot the t for touch.
    Last edited by animewatcha; 2014-08-12 at 06:42 PM.

8. - Top - End - #38
    Titan in the Playground

The following monsters have innate Wizard casting:

• Drider (6th)
    • Ethergaunt, Black (17th)
    • Ethergaunt, Red (9th)
    • Ethergaunt, White (13th)
    • Fensir (5th)
    • Hobgoblin Warcaster (4th)
    • Hobgoblin Warsoul (9th)
    • Marrutact (5th)
    • Ursinal (12th)
    • Varrangoin, Arcanist (9th)

9. - Top - End - #39
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by animewatcha View Post
    Is there a way for magic missile to be changed into a touch spell?

-edited- forgot the t for touch.
    Why? So you can channel it/trigger SA? And the first thing I would think of for that is Spellwarp Sniper but that only applies to area spells.
    Quote Originally Posted by Deeds View Post
    Caster backstories require a reason as to why they can cast spells. Wizards study hard to learn spells. Sorcerers often learn of their powers and then hone them through traveling. Clerics use piety to find the gift of spells through the gods or their ideals. Druids shun deodorant until a riding dog appears and they learn Entangle.
    Quote Originally Posted by Red Fel View Post
    Zom, my imaginary hat is off to you. *Horns? *What horns? *It's just an unusual hairstyle.
    Quote Originally Posted by Venger View Post
    There are certain advantages to a game being as badly written as 3.5.

10. - Top - End - #40
    Ogre in the Playground

In some kind of messed up fashion. You know that thread on 'how many magic missiles can be done in one round'? I think it was on brilliantgameologists. Came out to like a few million missiles. What I was wondering was how many magic missiles possible combined with either Duskblade's arcane channeling or enlightened fists' unarmed channeling. I was wondering how many max possible and how exactly to accomplish this. Similar thing might be usable for telekinesis.