New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 16 1234567891011 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Civ 5: GMR 8 - A Beyond Earth Prequel (G&K, BNW)

So, after reading through most (if not all) of the GMR threads, I've decided that I want a piece of the large, delicious multiplayer cake.

#Players: 6-8
    #Game Speed: Quick
    #DLC: G&K, BNW mandatory, the remaining ones are up for discussion
    #Turn timer: Lenient, but how lenient is up for discussion (24-72 hours, can be disabled or extended for vacations etc.)

I don't have any strong preferences with regards to map size, type or civ choices. I do have all DLC myself.

Spoiler: Gentlemanly Diplomacy Guidelines
    Show

1) Any agreements that take effect immediately are generally handled by the game engine and can't be reneged upon, but it's not uncommon for people to work out trade deals ahead of their turns. Thus, if two players agree on a trade, then when it comes up in the game it must be proposed and agreed as written in order to avoid wasting time.

2) Any agreements that have a delayed effect (I give you something now, you give me something in return later) must be honoured if the initial price is delivered. Whether its buying votes, negotiating treaties or whatever.

3) Any agreements that are theoretical/conditional/only apply in hypotheticals are worth the paper they are printed on. That is, nothing. If the agreement is not written on the forum, it is not binding.

tl;dr: Don't do jerk moves OOC.

Who's with me?

Players (in turn order):
    - Dada, playing India
    - Illven, playing England
    - Maryring, playing Russia
    - Magentawolf, playing The Zulu
    - Gpuzzle, playing The Celts
    - Silverraptor, playing Brazil
    - Datsmore, playing Assyria
    - Techwarrior, playing Poland

Last edited by Dada; 2015-06-21 at 09:35 AM.
    English is not my first language, but feel free to correct me.

Character sheets:
    Telim, Wilton, Aron and Eric

2. - Top - End - #2
    Troll in the Playground

Default Re: Civ 5: GMR 8 - A Beyond Earth Prequel (G&K, BNW)

I'm certainly game! I don't really have any suggestions for map or civ selection, and I don't have enough experience to suggest a turn timer limit either in good faith. On the DLC front, I have all of them, so no worries there.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ogre in the Playground

I'm in! Just have BNW and G&K, though, but that shouldn't be too bad.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dienekes View Post
    The Joker is supposed to be a nightmarish figure, the culmination of all things despicable and horrible about mankind. Of course he's a hipster.

4. - Top - End - #4

Feel free to use one of the invite links from the first post to join the game, GPuzzle.

I too own all DLC, but I only insist on using BNW and G&K. With regards to time limit, 24 hours would be a lower bound for me, and 48 or possibly even 72 would be my initial suggestion. The most important part is actually allowing the turn timer to be disabled due to vacations etc, as long as they are reported ahead of time. Losing turns to the AI would really suck, I imagine.

I have updated the first post to reflect this, and have added some gentlemanly rules for diplomacy which seems to be becoming the standard for Civ games here. I will of course also be available to help introduce new players to the Giant Multiplayer Robot, if needed.

Character sheets:

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ogre in the Playground

This seems fun. I love playing Civ V, yet despise how the AI never keeps their promises, always plop their cities right in the middle of my roads and generally makes a terrible nuisance of itself before declaring a war then hating me for taking it out with superior tactics.

Then again, it's probably not so superior against actual players. I'm not too good at the game, but since I have all the required DLC, I'd love to join.

This will be my first time piloting in a Giant Multiplayer Robot though, so I'll apologize in advance in case I screw up.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Titan in the Playground

I propose that the civilizations should also be given out at random. Count me in this game!
    My own webcomic. Idiosyncrasy.
    Paladin Academy: Chapter 2 Part 28

7. - Top - End - #7
    Ogre in the Playground

I would like to join in this time around. I still am having computer issues, but those should be resolved by the beginning of next week hopefully.

I would like to propose selected Civs.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Titan in the Playground

Random I think would be more interesting as you can't plan at the start what you want to do until your first turn and your play would evolve from there.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Ogre in the Playground

PirateCaptain

I'm always up for another game, but considering I got 5 running already I'll back out if the spot is needed by anyone else.
    Last edited by Driderman; 2014-08-14 at 03:59 PM.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Troll in the Playground

I'd be fine with random civs, I suppose, but I accidentally selected Russia and seem to be having a hard time making the Other? option stick. Does anyone know how to get it to change back?

11. - Top - End - #11
    Ogre in the Playground

Game is private and I can't join.

Damnit.

If we're going Random Civs, though... Let's go Full Random on that one, and have a completely Random Map.
    The Joker is supposed to be a nightmarish figure, the culmination of all things despicable and horrible about mankind. Of course he's a hipster.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by GPuzzle View Post

Damnit.

If we're going Random Civs, though... Let's go Full Random on that one, and have a completely Random Map.
    I don't know. Like 85% of the time random seems to go Archipelagos or some other maps with a lot of water. Continents should be decent enough I think.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Silverraptor View Post
    I don't know. Like 85% of the time random seems to go Archipelagos or some other maps with a lot of water. Continents should be decent enough I think.
    Which is why the map you pick is Shuffle.

14. - Top - End - #14

Quote Originally Posted by GPuzzle View Post

Damnit.

Have you tried all of the invite links? As far as I can tell, only two of them should have been used already.

Quote Originally Posted by Neon Knight View Post
    I'd be fine with random civs, I suppose, but I accidentally selected Russia and seem to be having a hard time making the Other? option stick. Does anyone know how to get it to change back?
    I don't actually think you can reset to random - luckily it doesn't matter, since the host (me) decides what Civ everyone will spawn as. I'll just ignore your choice of Russia and spawn you as random when creating the actual savefile.

So far, we're three players in the game on GMR, with GPuzzle, Maryring, Techwarrior and Driderman expressing interest as well. This leaves room for one additonal player, more if Driderman decides to give up his spot or Techwarrior is unable to resolve his computer issues. I hope to launch the game early next week.

Oh, and I'll put in a vote for Random civ / Shuffle map.

Character sheets:

15. - Top - End - #15
    Ogre in the Playground

But I don't wanna be Zulu.

I don't overly mind random in general. I just tend to have extremely bad luck, and there are a couple of civs that are unfun to play as. But if people want random, I'll take it as a challenge.

Incidentally, any other fun surprises planned? Raging Barbs? No Barbs? More or less than standard CS? ... if someone gets Enrico, it's gonna be less for sure.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Ogre in the Playground

On Techwarrior's tech problems:

I've been moving all of my stuff back to my original area, having been living abroad for about 6 months. During that process the movers 'accidentally' did something that upset my battlestation's feelings and it hasn't been operating right. I wound up troubleshooting the problem and am awaiting replacement parts. Which *should* be here by mid-week next week.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Ogre in the Playground

PirateCaptain

A few elements to consider:

- More or less city-states than standard for the map tends lead to more gains for early exploration (better odds of meeting a religious city-state, more gold from meeting city-states). Also makes diplomatic victory easier and gives Austria & Venice better UAs (not that they're particularly impressive so that's not really a problem).

- Number of religions is tied to map size. Playing on a large map than recommend for the amount of players will lead to more people getting their own religion. Personally, I try to avoid going over the limit since everyone getting their own religion isn't much fun.

- Raging barbarians: Aztecs will have a major early game culture advantage, Germany will have an early military advantage, Ottomans may actually feel they have a UA if they play towards it. Also, people will fret and cry because they will lose workers and/or settlers to barbarians.

Personally, I don't mind random everything but I reserve the right to whine if I get the Ottomans. Pretty much everything else I can work with

18. - Top - End - #18

AFAIK there is no way to randomize number of city-states / barbarian style / map size, so I'll stick with standard values for these unless someone actually wants a non-standard value. Everyone seems to be fine with Shuffle map and random civs, so let's go with that.

Maryring, Driderman and Techwarrior still needs to join the game on GMR. We are currently 7 players which is a fine number, but there is still room for one additonal player if someone wants to jump in while we wait for Techwarrior to warrior his tech back into working order.

I am in GMT+1, and mainly available for taking my turns in the morning (before 8:30) and after work. If you guys post the timezones and times where you expect to be available, I'll try to order our turns to keep everything moving smoothly.

Edit: Corrected timezone
    Last edited by Dada; 2014-08-18 at 02:34 PM.

Character sheets:

19. - Top - End - #19
    Ogre in the Playground

I'm GMT exactly. I'm pretty flexible on when I can take my turns, as I've got access to Civ V at work. Yes I know. I'm really lucky.

Also my Steam name is Skilvrel. So you don't kick out the weird lil Gremlin who just joined.
    Last edited by Maryring; 2014-08-18 at 05:51 AM.

20. - Top - End - #20
    Ogre in the Playground

PirateCaptain

Alright, I joined. GMT +0 here, I believe although daylight savings always confuse me on that account.

21. - Top - End - #21
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Driderman View Post
    ans: Aztecs will have a major early game culture advantage, Germany will have an early military advantage, Ottomans may actually feel they have a UA if they play towards it. Also, people will fret and cry because they will lose workers and/or settlers to barbarians.
    Germany doesn't get any advantage from raging barbarians. They might even get a penalty. See, they only get free units if they clear a camp. Raging barbarians doesn't increase the number of camps, it just makes the existing camps spawn more quickly. This, in turn, makes it harder to clear camps. Civilizations who get a benefit for killing units, such as the Aztecs and the Celts' Pictish warriors, will get an advantage. However, Germany will be at a disadvantage because it becomes harder/takes longer to clear a camp.

22. - Top - End - #22
    Troll in the Playground

UTC-6:00 time zone, steam name is Redleg Jayhawker. I'm most free typically in the evenings, after 6 o'clock.

23. - Top - End - #23
    Ogre in the Playground

PirateCaptain

Quote Originally Posted by Shades of Gray View Post
    Germany doesn't get any advantage from raging barbarians. They might even get a penalty. See, they only get free units if they clear a camp. Raging barbarians doesn't increase the number of camps, it just makes the existing camps spawn more quickly. This, in turn, makes it harder to clear camps. Civilizations who get a benefit for killing units, such as the Aztecs and the Celts' Pictish warriors, will get an advantage. However, Germany will be at a disadvantage because it becomes harder/takes longer to clear a camp.
    I was sure it increase camp frequency as well. If not, you're absolutely right.

24. - Top - End - #24
    Titan in the Playground

I'm GMT-7 as requested.

25. - Top - End - #25
    Ogre in the Playground

Update on Techwarrior warrioring his/her Tech.

There has been a delay in my required materials being sent. I should be able to get everything taken care of Friday. I'm currently UTC (-6 GMT), and can get online after 5 p.m. local time.

26. - Top - End - #26

Welcome to Magentawolf! What time-zone are you in?

I expect to start the game sometime during saturday, how does that suit everyone?

Character sheets:

27. - Top - End - #27
    Barbarian in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Dada View Post
    Welcome to Magentawolf! What time-zone are you in?

I expect to start the game sometime during saturday, how does that suit everyone?
    I'm EST, -5. Saturday's fine with me.
    Board-game and XCOM nerd. Furry. Handle with care.

28. - Top - End - #28
    Ogre in the Playground

Fine, but I'd like to mention:

I have now Polynesia, Incas, Babylon, Korea and Denmark!

29. - Top - End - #29

Oh right, DLC check. Does anyone lack one or more of the DLCs mentioned by GPuzzle?

Character sheets:

30. - Top - End - #30
    Ogre in the Playground

Saturday works fine for me. To reiterate. I have all DLC.