New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Building a paladin to help me into learning this system..

New to pathfinder. So I am pretty much gonna be learning a new system alongside folks who are also new to it but have more experience than me. I have a lot of reading to do and could use help making the character so I am atleast some use to the party despite being new. I need suggestions on everything that would help me accomplish this 'helper newbie build'. I am assuming that the DM has access to d20pfsrd and Archives of Nethys. However, as a just in case, I plan on copy and pasting all details of items/feats/class features and source and sterf ( mainly for non-core and non-APG ). Looking to be cross between healer and backup melee.

Sources allowed are Core rulebook and Advanced player's guide. Other stuff is case by case basis ( DM is likely to be cool with stuff so long as it isn't game breaking ). Other party members is a monk ( dunno build ), a sacred servant paladin of some redeemer goddess, and a few other people that I don't know what characters they are.

Ability score is start at 10, 32 point-buy. I am looking at having 18 for charisma from point-buy with a preferance to a +2 to charisma from race if possible. What is good spread for rest of stats?

Race: Human is probably best or halfling, but I am open to suggestions ( no race builder ). If alternate racial traits ( if available ) are available, which are good.

Religion: Which is as close to Pelor / Ilmater as possible?

Archetypes: Looking to combine these assuming all are usable...

Feats: looking at..

What are other good ones?

Wealth: seems like party is at 13th or 14th level at this point so WBL is either 140k or 181k

Items: looking at if can be approved..

What else is useful??

2. - Top - End - #2
    Troll in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

Default Re: Building a paladin to help me into learning this system..

Quote Originally Posted by animewatcha View Post
    Ability score is start at 10, 32 point-buy. I am looking at having 18 for charisma from point-buy with a preferance to a +2 to charisma from race if possible. What is good spread for rest of stats?
    32 PF point-buy? or 32 3.5 point-buy?
    Because 32 PF point-buy is kinda on the high side. "Typical" runs around 20 points.

Either way, CHA, CON, and STR will be the high ones in some order.
    DEX partly depends on your armor.
    INT can be handy.
    WIS is mostly a dump stat.

Quote Originally Posted by animewatcha View Post
    All 3 can be combined.

In my opinion, you're a little heavy on the Channeling, and won't be able to (normally) take Liberation Channel until level 16+ (Hospitaler has a -3 effective level on Channeling).

Here, have a Guide
    The guide is more focused on an Oracle/Paladin multi-class, but it has enough things you might find interesting.

A few things:
    Meditation Crystals: allow you to 'convert' a use of Channel into a use of Lay on Hands. Cheap as heck, and can be quite handy.

Boots of the Earth: Super cheap for the effect; basically gives Fast Healing 1 whenever you aren't moving.

Headband of Alluring Charisma: If you are allowed to craft/buy crafted items, then you can combine this and the Phylactery of Positive Channeling into one item (slightly more expensive, but possibly worth it).

Symbol of Luck, only if going Halfling. Whenever you heal someone with Channeling, they get a +1 Luck bonus to all saves for a number of rounds. Slotless, cheap enough, and Luck bonuses are rare enough.
    [retired]

Horribly out of date guide goes here:
    Oradin Guide

3. - Top - End - #3
    Pixie in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Default Re: Building a paladin to help me into learning this system..

I'm no master of 3.5 and I've never played PF, so I can't comment on your options as you've laid out, but if you're willing to read an essay...

Well, T.G Oskar's written one for you.

(edited cos I'm still learning the BB code )
    Last edited by ArtlessMammet; 2014-08-13 at 01:50 AM.